Ubuntu install fails on bootloader on Poweredge 2970 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu install fails on bootloader on Poweredge 2970 - Ubuntu ; Hi, I have 6 new dell poweredge 2970 with 6*750GB drives configured in one huge RAID5 virtual disk with the integrated perc5i controller. When I try to install Ubuntu 8.04.1, it always fails on grub installation (failed to read stage1). ...

  1. Ubuntu install fails on bootloader on Poweredge 2970

    Hi,

    I have 6 new dell poweredge 2970 with 6*750GB drives configured in one
    huge RAID5 virtual disk with the integrated perc5i controller.

    When I try to install Ubuntu 8.04.1, it always fails on grub
    installation (failed to read stage1). I then fallback to LILO. And then :
    - 3 servers are able to boot
    - the 3 others fails on LILO init writing "L 99 99 99 99 99 99..."

    Do you have any clue why :
    - grub doesn't work
    - lilo sometimes works
    - the result is different on 6 identical machines

    Do you have any idea on how I can install Ubuntu properly ?

    Many thanks in advance,

    Valentin

  2. Re: Ubuntu install fails on bootloader on Poweredge 2970

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 09:23:42 +0200, Valentin wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have 6 new dell poweredge 2970 with 6*750GB drives configured in one
    > huge RAID5 virtual disk with the integrated perc5i controller.

    Hmm, I have a poweredge 2950 sitting right next to me with 4 drives in a
    Raid6, same perc5i controller and ubuntu installed smoothly. Been running
    for nearly a year now trouble free.

    Not sure if there is any particularly significant difference between the
    2950 and 2970 that might be the cause.

    Did you use the Server install CD or the regular Ubuntu CD for install?

    One difference I can think of though is that my disks are a just a little
    bit smaller. Matter of fact, my entire raid array is smaller than one of
    your disks.

    I'm wondering if maybe it's an issue with the size of the raid array as 6
    * 750 GiB is over 4 TiB. Though, including space taken up by parity for
    the raid 5 array and the fact that drive manufacturers are always
    exceedingly optimistic with their drive sizes, the actual real size
    available to the file system is probably less than 4 TiB.

    What file system are you using and with what Block Size? You need 2KiB
    blocks for any file system up to 4GiB and in your case I'd probably use
    4KiB blocks.

    --
    Stephan
    1986 Pontiac Fiero GT

    君の事思い出す日なんてないのは
    君の事忘れたときがないから

  3. Re: Ubuntu install fails on bootloader on Poweredge 2970

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 09:32:55 -0500, Stephan Rose wrote:

    > What file system are you using and with what Block Size? You need 2KiB
    > blocks for any file system up to 4GiB and in your case I'd probably use
    > 4KiB blocks.

    Oh I forgot to mention that the block sizes mentioned above are in
    reference to Ext3 which I figure is probably the file system in use.

    --
    Stephan
    1986 Pontiac Fiero GT

    君の事思い出す日なんてないのは
    君の事忘れたときがないから

  4. Re: Ubuntu install fails on bootloader on Poweredge 2970

    On a Poweredge 2650, I had to do firmware upgrade from a diskette to
    make it work, it had a bug in RAID controller.

    On 2008-10-22, Stephan Rose wrote:
    > On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 09:23:42 +0200, Valentin wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have 6 new dell poweredge 2970 with 6*750GB drives configured in one
    >> huge RAID5 virtual disk with the integrated perc5i controller.

    > Hmm, I have a poweredge 2950 sitting right next to me with 4 drives in a
    > Raid6, same perc5i controller and ubuntu installed smoothly. Been running
    > for nearly a year now trouble free.
    >
    > Not sure if there is any particularly significant difference between the
    > 2950 and 2970 that might be the cause.
    >
    > Did you use the Server install CD or the regular Ubuntu CD for install?
    >
    > One difference I can think of though is that my disks are a just a little
    > bit smaller. Matter of fact, my entire raid array is smaller than one of
    > your disks.
    >
    > I'm wondering if maybe it's an issue with the size of the raid array as 6
    > * 750 GiB is over 4 TiB. Though, including space taken up by parity for
    > the raid 5 array and the fact that drive manufacturers are always
    > exceedingly optimistic with their drive sizes, the actual real size
    > available to the file system is probably less than 4 TiB.
    >
    > What file system are you using and with what Block Size? You need 2KiB
    > blocks for any file system up to 4GiB and in your case I'd probably use
    > 4KiB blocks.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

+ Reply to Thread