Netgear wg121 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Netgear wg121 - Ubuntu ; Netgear WG 121 USB wireless adapter. I'm using instructions from https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...er/Ndiswrapper to install drivers, but have one question, when I plug in the wireless adapter, should it be detected or at least a light come on? After typing lspci in ...

  1. Netgear wg121

    Netgear WG 121 USB wireless adapter.
    I'm using instructions from
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...er/Ndiswrapper
    to install drivers, but have one question, when I plug in the
    wireless adapter, should it be detected or at least a light come
    on?

    After typing lspci in terminal it doesn't show my card.
    rebooting doesn't help.

    Thanks for any advice
    Dan Dangerous

  2. Re: Netgear wg121

    Dan Dangerous wrote:
    > Netgear WG 121 USB wireless adapter.
    > I'm using instructions from
    > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...er/Ndiswrapper
    > to install drivers, but have one question, when I plug in the
    > wireless adapter, should it be detected or at least a light come
    > on?
    >
    > After typing lspci in terminal it doesn't show my card.
    > rebooting doesn't help.
    >
    > Thanks for any advice
    > Dan Dangerous

    Your lspci = LiSt PCI

    That isn't going to show you the USB.

    Try lsusb for what you seek.

    Also tail the syslog and messages when you insert the device and see
    what is logged:

    tail -F /var/log/syslog

    tail -F /var/log/messages

    Easier to read if you use separate terminal sessions.

    Then plug in the device.

    Use C to stop the tail.

    Try USB connectors on the back of the computer as well as the front.
    Sometimes the front one(s) are not connected!

    --
    John

  3. Re: Netgear wg121

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 23:13:07 -0500, Dan Dangerous wrote:

    > After typing lspci in terminal it doesn't show my card. rebooting
    > doesn't help.

    Well, as it's not a PCI device it wouldn't, would it?

    lsusb?

  4. Re: Netgear wg121

    Derek Turner wrote:
    > On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 23:13:07 -0500, Dan Dangerous wrote:
    >

    >> After typing lspci in terminal it doesn't show my card. rebooting
    >> doesn't help.

    > Well, as it's not a PCI device it wouldn't, would it?
    >
    > lsusb?

    USB devices are supposed to be detected by the OS when plugged
    in, this doesn't show any indication of being detected, not
    even one LED comes on.

    Dan Dangerous

  5. Re: Netgear wg121

    Dan Dangerous wrote:
    > Derek Turner wrote:
    >> On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 23:13:07 -0500, Dan Dangerous wrote:
    >>

    >>> After typing lspci in terminal it doesn't show my card. rebooting
    >>> doesn't help.

    >> Well, as it's not a PCI device it wouldn't, would it?
    >>
    >> lsusb?

    I see what you are saying. lsusb doesn't show it either.

    Dan Dangerous

  6. Re: Netgear wg121

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 06:24:10 -0500, Dan Dangerous wrote:

    > USB devices are supposed to be detected by the OS when plugged in, this
    > doesn't show any indication of being detected, not even one LED comes
    > on.

    what is the output of lsusb (in a terminal)? both with and without the
    device plugged in. If there's no difference then the device is not being
    recognized, if there is a difference then you have your chipset ID for
    ndiswrapper. See the page you quoted at 3.2.2 'wireless USB devices' the
    lspci only works for PCI cards. If it helps my PCI card shows no lights
    until the driver is installed. Good luck.

+ Reply to Thread