Ubuntu and NAS drives - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu and NAS drives - Ubuntu ; I am a relative newcomer to Ubuntu and need assistance with "mapping" NAS drives. I have a box running Naslite connected directly to my router with a static IP address. In windows I would map the network drive using \\192.168.1.50\disk-1 ...

  1. Ubuntu and NAS drives

    I am a relative newcomer to Ubuntu and need assistance with "mapping" NAS
    drives. I have a box running Naslite connected directly to my router with a
    static IP address. In windows I would map the network drive using
    \\192.168.1.50\disk-1 for example'

    I can view the contents of the drives in a browser window in Ubuntu by
    entering the IP address of the box and also open individual files

    What I want to do is make these drives available in Ubuntu.on a permanent
    basis.

    Any help much appreciated.

    MJP

  2. Re: Ubuntu and NAS drives

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 20:50:07 +0100, MJP wrote:

    > I am a relative newcomer to Ubuntu and need assistance with "mapping" NAS
    > drives. I have a box running Naslite connected directly to my router with a
    > static IP address. In windows I would map the network drive using
    > \\192.168.1.50\disk-1 for example'
    >
    > I can view the contents of the drives in a browser window in Ubuntu by
    > entering the IP address of the box and also open individual files
    >
    > What I want to do is make these drives available in Ubuntu.on a permanent
    > basis.
    >
    > Any help much appreciated.
    >
    > MJP

    It sounds like they *are* available. Do you mean that you want a nice
    name for them, so you don't have to enter an IP address? You can do that
    by editing "/etc/hosts". Make sure they have a static IP address.

    --
    MarkA
    Keeper of Things Put There Only Just The Night Before

  3. Re: Ubuntu and NAS drives

    MJP wrote:
    > I am a relative newcomer to Ubuntu and need assistance with "mapping" NAS
    > drives. I have a box running Naslite connected directly to my router with a
    > static IP address. In windows I would map the network drive using
    > \\192.168.1.50\disk-1 for example'
    >
    > I can view the contents of the drives in a browser window in Ubuntu by
    > entering the IP address of the box and also open individual files
    >
    > What I want to do is make these drives available in Ubuntu.on a permanent
    > basis.
    >
    > Any help much appreciated.
    >
    > MJP

    Install fuse and an interface such as sshfs. Write a script. Run the
    script. The NAS box is now a directory in your user space.

    Later
    Mike

  4. Re: Ubuntu and NAS drives

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 20:50:07 +0100, MJP wrote:

    > I am a relative newcomer to Ubuntu and need assistance with "mapping"
    > NAS drives. I have a box running Naslite connected directly to my router
    > with a static IP address. In windows I would map the network drive using
    > \\192.168.1.50\disk-1 for example'
    >
    > I can view the contents of the drives in a browser window in Ubuntu by
    > entering the IP address of the box and also open individual files
    >
    > What I want to do is make these drives available in Ubuntu.on a
    > permanent
    > basis.
    >
    > Any help much appreciated.
    >
    > MJP

    AIUI you want the NAS to be mounted on the filesystem at boot-up,
    automatically? Maybe for the mounted volume to have a nice icon on the
    desktop?

    Someone with a lot more knowledge than me will be along to tell you how
    to add it to your fstab, I suspect!

  5. Re: Ubuntu and NAS drives

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 20:50:07 +0100, MJP wrote:

    > I am a relative newcomer to Ubuntu and need assistance with "mapping"
    > NAS drives. I have a box running Naslite connected directly to my router
    > with a static IP address. In windows I would map the network drive using
    > \\192.168.1.50\disk-1 for example'
    >
    > I can view the contents of the drives in a browser window in Ubuntu by
    > entering the IP address of the box and also open individual files
    >
    > What I want to do is make these drives available in Ubuntu.on a
    > permanent basis.

    I'm sorry, but you aren't likely to get much specific help on this unless
    you provide more specific information. It appears your NAS system is at
    192.168.1.50, probably a fixed IP, which is good. Give it a name (maybe
    NASlite ?) and put the name & IPaddress in /etc/hosts. Under Kubuntu, I
    can do that via SystemSettings=>Network=>StaticHosts. Ubuntu would be
    *similar*.

    Then give us the details on what you see in your browser, and what you
    want to do with what you see.

    I investigated NASlite via a search engine because I'd never heard of it.
    It apparently started as an open-source linux then apparently went
    proprietary at some point. Windows can see it, so it is apparently set up
    to do Windows "shares" using the linux package "Samba" which uses those
    proprietary (bad) Microsoft protocols.

    I suspect it is also set up to use Network File System (NFS) which is the
    unix/linux way of doing that. You would then "mount" under Ubuntu what is
    "exported" under NASlite. Example:
    mount -t nfs NASlite:disk-1 /mnt/whatever
    Then "df" would show it, and anything you do to files in /mnt/whatever
    would go over the net to the NASlite box.

    Think of "mount" as grafting a shrub onto a tree. I use Kubuntu, and
    SystemSettings=>Advanced=>Disk/Filesystems provides a GUI to do the
    mount. Ubuntu would be *similar*. The GUI would write to /etc/fstab, or
    you could hand-edit that file.

    I hope that helps.

  6. Re: Ubuntu and NAS drives

    MJP wrote:
    > I am a relative newcomer to Ubuntu and need assistance with "mapping" NAS
    > drives. I have a box running Naslite connected directly to my router with a
    > static IP address. In windows I would map the network drive using
    > \\192.168.1.50\disk-1 for example'
    >
    > I can view the contents of the drives in a browser window in Ubuntu by
    > entering the IP address of the box and also open individual files
    >
    > What I want to do is make these drives available in Ubuntu.on a permanent
    > basis.
    >
    > Any help much appreciated.

    If Wind*ws can see it, it most likely provides an SMB interface.
    Try "smbclient -L 192.168.1.50" and hit Return when asked for a
    password. According to serverelements' web site, naslite-2 also provides
    an nfs interface, so you could try "mount -t nfs /192.168.1.50/disk-1
    /somemountpoint".

    Josef
    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)

  7. Re: Ubuntu and NAS drives

    On 2008-10-21, MJP wrote:
    > I am a relative newcomer to Ubuntu and need assistance with "mapping" NAS
    > drives. I have a box running Naslite connected directly to my router with a
    > static IP address. In windows I would map the network drive using
    > \\192.168.1.50\disk-1 for example'
    >
    > I can view the contents of the drives in a browser window in Ubuntu by
    > entering the IP address of the box and also open individual files
    >
    > What I want to do is make these drives available in Ubuntu.on a permanent
    > basis.

    In /etc/fstab (edit as root using 'sudo nano fstab')

    //192.168.1.50/disk-1 /mnt/nasdrive cifs
    auto,_netdev,rw,credentials=/etc/credentials,uid=1000,gid=1000 0 0

    (That should all be on a single line in fstab, and you should create a
    directory /mnt/nasdrive.)

    Once that's there, you can test it with sudo mount /mnt/nasdrive and
    see if you get any errors, or have any issues browsing to it...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

+ Reply to Thread