Ubuntu and Wireless - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu and Wireless - Ubuntu ; I've decided to go with Ubuntu 8.041 since most people consider it the best for a newbee. I want to hook it up wirelessly. What wireless card works really well with Ubuntu? Tks....

  1. Ubuntu and Wireless

    I've decided to go with Ubuntu 8.041 since most people consider it the best
    for a newbee.
    I want to hook it up wirelessly. What wireless card works really well with
    Ubuntu?
    Tks.

  2. Re: Ubuntu and Wireless

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 12:32:47 -0400, Pete wrote:

    > I've decided to go with Ubuntu 8.041 since most people consider it the
    > best for a newbee.
    > I want to hook it up wirelessly. What wireless card works really well
    > with Ubuntu?
    > Tks.

    Intel

  3. Re: Ubuntu and Wireless

    "arnold" wrote in message
    > On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 12:32:47 -0400, Pete wrote:
    >
    >> I've decided to go with Ubuntu 8.041 since most people consider it the
    >> best for a newbee.
    >> I want to hook it up wirelessly. What wireless card works really well
    >> with Ubuntu?
    >> Tks.

    > Intel

    OK, Intel. But is there one that can be plugged in and just work after the
    included software installation? If this gets too impossible, I'll just hard
    wire it.
    -Pete

  4. Re: Ubuntu and Wireless

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 12:32:47 -0400, Pete wrote:

    > I've decided to go with Ubuntu 8.041 since most people consider it the
    > best for a newbee.
    > I want to hook it up wirelessly. What wireless card works really well
    > with Ubuntu?
    > Tks.

    It's not the card, It's the chipset and that's not always easy to
    discover prior to purchase.

    Are we talking about a PCI card in a desktop here? Edimax are good for
    them, I believe. Someone will be along in a minute with the URL of the
    website that lists linux-friendly hardware.

    BTW, for a newbie I'd recommend you try linuxMint 5(r1) which is based on
    ubuntu 8.04.1 but is a bit more hand-holdy and more familiar to those
    coming over from the dark side.

  5. Re: Ubuntu and Wireless

    Derek Turner schreef:
    > On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 12:32:47 -0400, Pete wrote:
    >
    >> I've decided to go with Ubuntu 8.041 since most people consider it the
    >> best for a newbee.
    >> I want to hook it up wirelessly. What wireless card works really well
    >> with Ubuntu?
    >> Tks.

    > It's not the card, It's the chipset and that's not always easy to
    > discover prior to purchase.
    >
    > Are we talking about a PCI card in a desktop here? Edimax are good for
    > them, I believe. Someone will be along in a minute with the URL of the
    > website that lists linux-friendly hardware.
    >
    > BTW, for a newbie I'd recommend you try linuxMint 5(r1) which is based on
    > ubuntu 8.04.1 but is a bit more hand-holdy and more familiar to those
    > coming over from the dark side.

    Take a look here
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...CardsSupported

    You might want to wait for the next release (8.10 Ibex) this
    has a new kernel that supports more hardware than the
    current.

    Herbert

  6. Re: Ubuntu and Wireless

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 13:37:50 -0400, Pete wrote:

    > OK, Intel. But is there one that can be plugged in and just work after
    > the included software installation? If this gets too impossible, I'll
    > just hard wire it.
    > -Pete

    I've never installed wireless, but if it's anything like other
    peripherals, plug it in _before_ installation.

    I've had problems with printers on the network which were not switched on
    when the installation was 'looking' for them. Getting them recognised
    post installation was a nightmare. When I installed a second system, I
    made sure that everything (printers, scanners, etc) was 'alive' on the
    network, and everything was recognised and installed with no problem.

    Keith

+ Reply to Thread