When does wireless networking startup? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on When does wireless networking startup? - Ubuntu ; I have my podcatcher (hpodder) on my laptop computer. The other day, I wanted to sync my mp3 player, but was going to be on my "main" computer in another part of the house. So, I turned on the laptop, ...

  1. When does wireless networking startup?

    I have my podcatcher (hpodder) on my laptop computer. The other day, I
    wanted to sync my mp3 player, but was going to be on my "main" computer in
    another part of the house. So, I turned on the laptop, then went to the
    other computer, expecting to use 'rsync' to transfer the podcasts from
    the laptop to the mp3 player. However, there was 'No route to host'. I
    had to go back to the laptop and login as a user to activate the wireless
    network interface. I know that wired network connections come up without
    being logged in. Is there a way to have the wireless interface connect
    before the first login?

    --
    MarkA
    Keeper of Things Put There Only Just The Night Before

  2. Re: When does wireless networking startup?

    MarkA wrote:
    > On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 15:56:35 +0000, waggy wrote:
    >
    >> MarkA wrote:
    >>> Is there a way to have the wireless
    >>> interface connect before the first login?
    >>>

    >> I wrote an explanation once upon a time for my own reference.
    >> http://n3wt0n.com/blog/?p=28
    >>
    >> -Kyle

    Kyle could I follow this with a very similar problem I have been
    troubled with.

    I have my laptop to auto logon, and cannot get the settings to get

    the wifi to automatically log on too. I usually have to do a

    network restart at the terminal.
    Here are the details
    Xubuntu 8.04 and Intel3945 wifi on laptop

    I have checked my network settings but have to use terminal and ;-
    'sudo /etc/init.d/ networking restart'
    after bootup to get the network to connect.

    What files should I check to get the network to connect automatically on
    boot up? There must be one somewhere. I don't think it is auto login.
    Any further checks or suggestions would be appreciated. Would router
    'lease expired' be part of the problem as I try not yo use DHCP. I
    would like to keep auto login as it suits my wife's access simple.

    This is my /etc/network/interfaces file, does it look ok? :-

    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

    auto wlan0
    iface wlan0 inet static
    address 192.168.1.8
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.1.1
    wireless-key s:a............z
    wireless-essid ABCD

    iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.1.6
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.1.

  3. Re: When does wireless networking startup?

    > This is my /etc/network/interfaces file, does it look ok? :-
    >
    > auto lo
    > iface lo inet loopback
    >
    > auto wlan0
    > iface wlan0 inet static
    > address 192.168.1.8
    > netmask 255.255.255.0
    > gateway 192.168.1.1
    > wireless-key s:a............z
    > wireless-essid ABCD
    >
    > iface eth0 inet static
    > address 192.168.1.6
    > netmask 255.255.255.0
    > gateway 192.168.1.

    Just so I'm not leaving you hanging: I can't help you there. I had a
    similar problem to the OP and happened to have something that (at least
    in the case of WEP) might have helped. Anything else wifi related then
    I'm in the same boat you are.

    I'd suggest asking around http://ubuntuforums.org/

+ Reply to Thread