OpenOffice 3 for Ubuntu - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on OpenOffice 3 for Ubuntu - Ubuntu ; Hi, Does anyone know when/if OpenOffice 3 will be/is available for Ubuntu? I know I can work my way through all the debs from the OpenOffice download sites, but I would rather wait for it to be packaged for Ubuntu ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 47

  1. OpenOffice 3 for Ubuntu

    Hi,

    Does anyone know when/if OpenOffice 3 will be/is available for Ubuntu? I
    know I can work my way through all the debs from the OpenOffice download
    sites, but I would rather wait for it to be packaged for Ubuntu (unless
    that's going to take months).

    --
    //ceed

  2. Re: OpenOffice 3 for Ubuntu

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 12:15:00 -0500, ceed wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone know when/if OpenOffice 3 will be/is available for Ubuntu? I
    > know I can work my way through all the debs from the OpenOffice download
    > sites, but I would rather wait for it to be packaged for Ubuntu (unless
    > that's going to take months).

    If you used Slackware, you could be using it right now. It's a shame to
    be tied to "repositories" that others control, innit?

  3. Re: OpenOffice 3 for Ubuntu

    ceed schreef:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone know when/if OpenOffice 3 will be/is available for Ubuntu? I
    > know I can work my way through all the debs from the OpenOffice download
    > sites, but I would rather wait for it to be packaged for Ubuntu (unless
    > that's going to take months).

    Be patient and wait a few days to ubuntu 8.10...

  4. Re: OpenOffice 3 for Ubuntu

    Ro wrote:
    > ceed schreef:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Does anyone know when/if OpenOffice 3 will be/is available for Ubuntu?
    >> I know I can work my way through all the debs from the OpenOffice
    >> download sites, but I would rather wait for it to be packaged for
    >> Ubuntu (unless that's going to take months).
    >>

    > Be patient and wait a few days to ubuntu 8.10...

    If you can't wait for Ubuntu go here and follow this;
    http://www.rebelzero.com/ubuntu/inst...hardy-heron/27

    Simple and works great.
    caver1

  5. Re: OpenOffice 3 for Ubuntu

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 12:26:22 -0500, Dan C wrote:

    > On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 12:15:00 -0500, ceed wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Does anyone know when/if OpenOffice 3 will be/is available for Ubuntu?
    >> I know I can work my way through all the debs from the OpenOffice
    >> download sites, but I would rather wait for it to be packaged for
    >> Ubuntu (unless that's going to take months).

    > If you used Slackware, you could be using it right now. It's a shame to
    > be tied to "repositories" that others control, innit?

    Main problem with your thesis: one is not "tied to repositories that
    others control". One is free to install from a number of repositories or
    download and install from source.

  6. Re: OpenOffice 3 for Ubuntu

    In <6m3vcjFf3tokU1@mid.individual.net> ray:

    [Snip...]

    > problem with your thesis

    Another problem: more Slack trolling in aolu. Sound familiar?

    WHBT; WKWTD...

    I toss GoogleGroup posts from gitgo (http://improve-usenet.org).

  7. Re: OpenOffice 3 for Ubuntu

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 12:15:00 -0500, ceed wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Does anyone know when/if OpenOffice 3 will be/is available for Ubuntu? I
    >> know I can work my way through all the debs from the OpenOffice download
    >> sites, but I would rather wait for it to be packaged for Ubuntu (unless
    >> that's going to take months).

    > If you used Slackware, you could be using it right now. It's a shame to
    > be tied to "repositories" that others control, innit?

    But Ubuntu modify it a bit (mainly to get Excel VBA to work) so best to
    wait.

  8. Re: OpenOffice 3 for Ubuntu

    Harold Stevens illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > In <6m3vcjFf3tokU1@mid.individual.net> ray:
    >
    > [Snip...]
    >
    >> problem with your thesis

    > Another problem: more Slack trolling in aolu. Sound familiar?
    >
    > WHBT; WKWTD...

    Heh. Well Dan?

    We could do with a response to your "newb" remark. And also, who ties
    your shoelaces in the morning? Bugger off.
    ;-)

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

  9. Re: OpenOffice 3 for Ubuntu

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 12:15:00 -0500, ceed wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone know when/if OpenOffice 3 will be/is available for Ubuntu? I
    > know I can work my way through all the debs from the OpenOffice download
    > sites, but I would rather wait for it to be packaged for Ubuntu (unless
    > that's going to take months).

    I prefer to be "tied" to repositories. It means that everyting works at
    all times even if I sometimes have to wait a little for software like now
    with OpenOffice 3. I even sometimes think Ubunutu are too early with
    letting software loose in the repositories and like the way Linux Mint
    does it where you can choose to update based on levels of safety: 1 - 5
    where 1 is tested safe packages and 5 is bleeding edge untested. I need my
    computer to work at all times (for work). However, it would be great
    getting OpenOffice 3 since it has features I would like to have access to
    as soon as possible, but not if it means other things breaks in the
    process.

    --
    //ceed

  10. Re: OpenOffice 3 for Ubuntu

    * ceed wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone know when/if OpenOffice 3 will be/is available for Ubuntu?
    > I know I can work my way through all the debs from the OpenOffice
    > download sites, but I would rather wait for it to be packaged for
    > Ubuntu (unless that's going to take months).

    HH is version locked, so you only typically get security updates. I dont
    believe OO3 will be available to HH users unless they self install or
    someone outside packages it. If you wait a week or so I would bet there
    will be a site with a how-to available.

    --
    David

  11. Re: OpenOffice 3 for Ubuntu

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 12:26:29 -0500, Ro wrote:

    > ceed schreef:
    >> Hi,
    >> Does anyone know when/if OpenOffice 3 will be/is available for Ubuntu?
    >> I know I can work my way through all the debs from the OpenOffice
    >> download sites, but I would rather wait for it to be packaged for
    >> Ubuntu (unless that's going to take months).
    >>

    > Be patient and wait a few days to ubuntu 8.10...

    Thing is I am using Linux Mint, so I know from experience I will have to
    wait a little bit longer than you Ubuntu guys

    --
    //ceed

  12. Re: OpenOffice 3 for Ubuntu

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 12:34:05 -0500, caver1 wrote:

    > Ro wrote:
    >> ceed schreef:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know when/if OpenOffice 3 will be/is available for Ubuntu?
    >>> I know I can work my way through all the debs from the OpenOffice
    >>> download sites, but I would rather wait for it to be packaged for
    >>> Ubuntu (unless that's going to take months).
    >>>

    >> Be patient and wait a few days to ubuntu 8.10...

    > If you can't wait for Ubuntu go here and follow this;
    > http://www.rebelzero.com/ubuntu/inst...hardy-heron/27
    >
    > Simple and works great.
    > caver1

    Thanks, but I think I can wait until it gets natively packaged. I do not
    have time or the nerve to mess with software that crucial to my daily
    work!

    --
    //ceed

  13. Re: OpenOffice 3 for Ubuntu

    ceed wrote:
    > On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 12:34:05 -0500, caver1 wrote:
    >
    >> Ro wrote:

    >>> Be patient and wait a few days to ubuntu 8.10...

    >> If you can't wait for Ubuntu go here and follow this;
    >> http://www.rebelzero.com/ubuntu/inst...hardy-heron/27
    >>
    >> Simple and works great.
    >> caver1

    > Thanks, but I think I can wait until it gets natively packaged. I do
    > not have time or the nerve to mess with software that crucial to my
    > daily work!

    Thats where you an I differ. If everything stays the same I get bored so
    I always try the newest as soon as possible.
    So far I am bored with OO3. Everything is working fine on two machines.
    caver1

  14. Re: OpenOffice 3 for Ubuntu

    Ro wrote:
    > ceed schreef:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Does anyone know when/if OpenOffice 3 will be/is available for Ubuntu?
    >> I know I can work my way through all the debs from the OpenOffice
    >> download sites, but I would rather wait for it to be packaged for
    >> Ubuntu (unless that's going to take months).
    >>

    > Be patient and wait a few days to ubuntu 8.10...

    When I was looking for confirmation one way or the other last week I got
    the impression that OOo 3 missed the cut from 8.10. For example:

    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...rg/+bug/267376

    --
    [ste]

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 18:01:55 +0000, ray wrote:

    >>> Does anyone know when/if OpenOffice 3 will be/is available for Ubuntu?
    >>> I know I can work my way through all the debs from the OpenOffice
    >>> download sites, but I would rather wait for it to be packaged for
    >>> Ubuntu (unless that's going to take months).

    >> If you used Slackware, you could be using it right now. It's a shame to
    >> be tied to "repositories" that others control, innit?

    > Main problem with your thesis: one is not "tied to repositories that
    > others control". One is free to install from a number of repositories or
    > download and install from source.

    What percentage of *buntu users do you think are going to use other (than
    default) repositories, much less compile/install from source?

    It's a serious question. My guess is a percentage *very* near zero.

  16. Re: OpenOffice 3 for Ubuntu

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 20:29:52 +0100, Ian Pawson wrote:

    >>> Does anyone know when/if OpenOffice 3 will be/is available for Ubuntu? I
    >>> know I can work my way through all the debs from the OpenOffice download
    >>> sites, but I would rather wait for it to be packaged for Ubuntu (unless
    >>> that's going to take months).

    >> If you used Slackware, you could be using it right now. It's a shame to
    >> be tied to "repositories" that others control, innit?

    > But Ubuntu modify it a bit (mainly to get Excel VBA to work) so best to
    > wait.

    LOL! Yeah, OK. Right.

  17. Re: OpenOffice 3 for Ubuntu

    Dan C wrote:
    > What percentage of *buntu users do you think are going to use other (than
    > default) repositories, much less compile/install from source?
    >
    > It's a serious question. My guess is a percentage *very* near zero.

    I know quite a few, some in this NG, including myself. So, not near zero.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  18. Re: OpenOffice 3 for Ubuntu

    johnny bobby bee illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Dan C wrote:
    >> What percentage of *buntu users do you think are going to use other (than
    >> default) repositories, much less compile/install from source?
    >>
    >> It's a serious question. My guess is a percentage *very* near zero.

    > I know quite a few, some in this NG, including myself. So, not near zero.

    Stobbit. Please. I can't take anymore.

    Dans' ass is being passed around this group on a plate, with full
    silver service. ;-)

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

  19. Re: OpenOffice 3 for Ubuntu

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 21:36:32 +0000, johnny bobby bee wrote:

    >> What percentage of *buntu users do you think are going to use other (than
    >> default) repositories, much less compile/install from source?
    >>
    >> It's a serious question. My guess is a percentage *very* near zero.

    > I know quite a few, some in this NG, including myself. So, not near zero.

    OK, so "a few". How many folks do you think are using *buntu right now?
    Is it measured in the hundreds of thousands, would you think? What does
    that come out to, in percentage?

    Like I said, "near zero".

  20. Re: OpenOffice 3 for Ubuntu

    Dan C wrote in
    newsan.2008.10.20.21.25.23.247027@moria.lan:

    >>> If you used Slackware, you could be using it right now. It's a
    >>> shame to be tied to "repositories" that others control, innit?

    >> Main problem with your thesis: one is not "tied to repositories that
    >> others control". One is free to install from a number of repositories
    >> or download and install from source.

    > What percentage of *buntu users do you think are going to use other
    > (than default) repositories, much less compile/install from source?
    >
    > It's a serious question. My guess is a percentage *very* near zero.

    I don't know......I direct people to www.linuxappfinder.com to find apps for their version of Linux.

    'Install Now' button's right on the web page for most apps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast