OpenOffice 3 for Ubuntu - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on OpenOffice 3 for Ubuntu - Ubuntu ; * Dave Thompson wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu: > Mario Figueiredo wrote: >> On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 16:49:26 -0500, Dan C wrote: >>> OK, so "a few". How many folks do you think are using *buntu right >>> now? Is it ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 47 of 47

  1. Re: OpenOffice 3 for Ubuntu

    * Dave Thompson wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > Mario Figueiredo wrote:
    >> On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 16:49:26 -0500, Dan C wrote:
    >>> OK, so "a few". How many folks do you think are using *buntu right
    >>> now? Is it measured in the hundreds of thousands, would you think?
    >>> What does that come out to, in percentage?
    >>>
    >>> Like I said, "near zero".

    >> You clearly haven't the faintest idea about the *ubuntu user base.
    >>
    >> Have a nice day.

    > According to Distrowatch Ubuntu is the most popular distro

    That is determined by a page hit ranking on their site, nothing more.

    --
    David

  2. Re: OpenOffice 3 for Ubuntu

    ceed schreef:
    > On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 14:58:31 -0500, caver1 wrote:
    >
    >> Thats where you an I differ. If everything stays the same I get bored
    >> so I always try the newest as soon as possible.
    >> So far I am bored with OO3. Everything is working fine on two machines.
    >> caver1

    > No, I do not think we differ that much. There was a time when I ran
    > Linux for the hell of it. I compiled kernels and broke everything as
    > soon as I had a working system just to see if I could fix it. These days
    > Linux is my work OS, so I simply can't afford having a non fuctioning OO
    > (or laptop) even for a couple of hours. I love to mess around with
    > things, but in this case that's a luxury I can't afford
    >
    > And that's what I like about Ubuntu, or in this case Mint: It just
    > works, but is still Linux!

    This should not pose a dilemma, set aside a 20GB partition for your
    'bleeding edge' experiments and stop worrying about your primary install.

  3. Re: OpenOffice 3 for Ubuntu

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 22:08:33 -0500, Dan C wrote:

    > On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 02:47:33 +0000, johnny bobby bee wrote:
    >
    >>> OK, so "a few". How many folks do you think are using *buntu right
    >>> now? Is it measured in the hundreds of thousands, would you think?

    >> Possibly even in the millions. There almost no way to tell.

    >>> What does that come out to, in percentage? Like I said, "near zero".

    >> I'm not denying that Ubuntu is used by tons of n00bs, but even these
    >> can follow a HOWTO, and by my count there are at least 3 describing in
    >> easy detail how to do this.

    > I think you are missing my point a little. Perhaps many of these n00bs
    > *can* follow a HOWTO,

    ------

    If I find this argument pointless, does that make me a n00b?

  4. Re: OpenOffice 3 for Ubuntu

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 16:28:13 +0000, SINNER wrote:

    > * Dave Thompson wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >
    >> Mario Figueiredo wrote:

    >>> You clearly haven't the faintest idea about the *ubuntu user base.
    >>>
    >>> Have a nice day.

    >> According to Distrowatch Ubuntu is the most popular distro
    >>

    > That is determined by a page hit ranking on their site, nothing more.

    Regardless, my point was not about how many people use Linux, but this
    ridiculous idea that the percentage of people that use other things that
    the official repositories is "near zero".

    Maybe if our friend Dan C got out of his house an smelled the fresh air,
    he could meet a lot of people that actually only use the official
    repositories for the system parts. And even then, some.

  5. Re: OpenOffice 3 for Ubuntu

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 13:12:23 -0500, Harold Stevens wrote:

    > In <6m3vcjFf3tokU1@mid.individual.net> ray:
    >
    > [Snip...]
    >
    >> problem with your thesis

    > Another problem: more Slack trolling in aolu. Sound familiar?
    >
    > WHBT; WKWTD...

    Oh, I got one for you from the Hadron Quack troll, he posted in cola:

    It IS because of him and two other useless people in particular
    (CBFalconer and Harold "old school" Stevens (probably both Willy nyms)
    that I started to drift from the Ubuntu fan boy zone.

    From: Hadron
    Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
    Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008

    He thinks (& I use the term loosely in Quack's case) that you & CBFalconer
    are my socks!
    The troll gets more idiotic by the day.

    He's now festering the debian groups, BTW.

    --
    Did you know?
    Hadron Quack & his wife divorced over religious differences.

  6. Re: OpenOffice 3 for Ubuntu

    In William Poaster:

    [Snip...]

    > that you & CBFalconer are my socks

    That's a hoot. Finally, our 15 minutes of Warhol on Usenet.

    > The troll gets more idiotic by the day

    Hardon, AC/Sidney, etc. are birds of a feather: megalomanic sociopaths. I
    nailed Hardon as a cynical M$ astroturfer after two or three posts.

    > He's now festering the debian groups, BTW

    I think it's clear I could not care less. I only see Hardon, Sidney et al
    in FUs like this. Which is too say, I see them way too much, still.

    OK, back to our regularly sceduled NetworkManager fracas.

    I toss GoogleGroup posts from gitgo (http://improve-usenet.org).

  7. Re: OpenOffice 3 for Ubuntu

    William Poaster wrote:

    > Oh, I got one for you from the Hadron Quack troll, he posted in cola:
    >

    > It IS because of him and two other useless people in particular
    > (CBFalconer and Harold "old school" Stevens (probably both Willy nyms)
    > that I started to drift from the Ubuntu fan boy zone.
    >
    > From: Hadron
    > Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
    > Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008
    >
    > He thinks (& I use the term loosely in Quack's case) that you & CBFalconer
    > are my socks!
    > The troll gets more idiotic by the day.
    >
    > He's now festering the debian groups, BTW.

    Trolling seems to be his life. He was a regular on the
    rec.....bicycles.misc about 3 years ago and a major PITA there too.
    Some people you just **WANT** to have their computer go up in smoke.
    Bill Baka

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3