OpenOffice 3 for Ubuntu - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on OpenOffice 3 for Ubuntu - Ubuntu ; On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 14:58:31 -0500, caver1 wrote: > Thats where you an I differ. If everything stays the same I get bored so > I always try the newest as soon as possible. > So far I am ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 47

  1. Re: OpenOffice 3 for Ubuntu

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 14:58:31 -0500, caver1 wrote:

    > Thats where you an I differ. If everything stays the same I get bored so
    > I always try the newest as soon as possible.
    > So far I am bored with OO3. Everything is working fine on two machines.
    > caver1

    No, I do not think we differ that much. There was a time when I ran Linux
    for the hell of it. I compiled kernels and broke everything as soon as I
    had a working system just to see if I could fix it. These days Linux is my
    work OS, so I simply can't afford having a non fuctioning OO (or laptop)
    even for a couple of hours. I love to mess around with things, but in this
    case that's a luxury I can't afford

    And that's what I like about Ubuntu, or in this case Mint: It just works,
    but is still Linux!

    --
    //ceed

  2. Re: OpenOffice 3 for Ubuntu

    ray wrote:
    > Dan C wrote:
    >> ceed wrote:
    >>
    >>> Does anyone know when/if OpenOffice 3 will be/is available for
    >>> Ubuntu? I know I can work my way through all the debs from the
    >>> OpenOffice download sites, but I would rather wait for it to be
    >>> packaged for Ubuntu (unless that's going to take months).

    >> If you used Slackware, you could be using it right now. It's a
    >> shame to be tied to "repositories" that others control, innit?

    > Main problem with your thesis: one is not "tied to repositories
    > that others control". One is free to install from a number of
    > repositories or download and install from source.

    This make three (3) reasonable posts from Dan C in the past two
    weeks. Is he taking his meds these days?

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  3. Re: OpenOffice 3 for Ubuntu

    caver1 wrote:

    > ceed wrote:

    >>> If you can't wait for Ubuntu go here and follow this;
    >>> http://www.rebelzero.com/ubuntu/inst...hardy-heron/27
    >>>
    >>> Simple and works great.
    >>> caver1

    >> Thanks, but I think I can wait until it gets natively packaged. I do
    >> not have time or the nerve to mess with software that crucial to my
    >> daily work!
    >>

    > Thats where you an I differ. If everything stays the same I get bored so
    > I always try the newest as soon as possible.
    > So far I am bored with OO3. Everything is working fine on two machines.
    > caver1

    I got bored with word processing software a couple decades ago. :-)

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

  4. Re: OpenOffice 3 for Ubuntu

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 16:25:23 -0500, Dan C wrote:

    >>> If you used Slackware, you could be using it right now. It's a shame
    >>> to be tied to "repositories" that others control, innit?

    >> Main problem with your thesis: one is not "tied to repositories that
    >> others control". One is free to install from a number of repositories
    >> or download and install from source.

    > What percentage of *buntu users do you think are going to use other
    > (than default) repositories, much less compile/install from source?
    >
    > It's a serious question. My guess is a percentage *very* near zero.

    I've seen instructions for adding other repositories quite frequently in
    the ubuntu forums - so it must not be as rare as you propose. At any rate
    one is hardly "tied to repositories that others control".

  5. Re: OpenOffice 3 for Ubuntu

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 14:46:45 -0500, ceed wrote:
    >On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 12:26:29 -0500, Ro wrote:

    >> ceed schreef:
    >>> Hi,

    I always avoid .0 releases.

    open office 2.4.x has been totally wonderful. I don't see a need to
    betatest 3.x

  6. Re: OpenOffice 3 for Ubuntu

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 19:55:58 -0500, AZ Nomad
    wrote:

    > On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 14:46:45 -0500, ceed
    > wrote:

    > I always avoid .0 releases.
    >
    > open office 2.4.x has been totally wonderful. I don't see a need to
    > betatest 3.x

    There are certain Word and Excel compatibility issues which are resolved
    in 3.0, so I would like to get hold of it as soon as possible. I agree
    with you on the .0 approach in general though.

    --
    //ceed

  7. Re: OpenOffice 3 for Ubuntu

    Dan C wrote:
    > OK, so "a few". How many folks do you think are using *buntu right now?
    > Is it measured in the hundreds of thousands, would you think?

    Possibly even in the millions. There almost no way to tell.

    > What does
    > that come out to, in percentage?
    >
    > Like I said, "near zero".

    I'm not denying that Ubuntu is used by tons of n00bs, but even these can
    follow a HOWTO, and by my count there are at least 3 describing in easy
    detail how to do this.

    There are lots of us experienced users, too. Some that Debian lost or
    use both, some from when SUSE sold out to Novell/Windows. And yes, Dan,
    even some from Slackware. Ubuntu's base is diverse. So again, I believe
    'near zero' is way off.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  8. Re: OpenOffice 3 for Ubuntu

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 02:47:33 +0000, johnny bobby bee wrote:

    >> OK, so "a few". How many folks do you think are using *buntu right now?
    >> Is it measured in the hundreds of thousands, would you think?

    > Possibly even in the millions. There almost no way to tell.

    >> What does that come out to, in percentage?
    >> Like I said, "near zero".

    > I'm not denying that Ubuntu is used by tons of n00bs, but even these can
    > follow a HOWTO, and by my count there are at least 3 describing in easy
    > detail how to do this.

    I think you are missing my point a little. Perhaps many of these n00bs
    *can* follow a HOWTO, but my question was more like: How many of them
    actually *would* do it? Many (most?) *buntu users do not even approach
    such a "drastic" measure as adding/changing repositories. They simply
    don't know that they can. Remember, probably 99.5% of users don't use
    newsgroups, nor even know what they are. They simply don't need the added
    power/resource of customizing repository listings, as they don't ever
    really add any new software to the default installed packages.

    > There are lots of us experienced users, too. Some that Debian lost or
    > use both, some from when SUSE sold out to Novell/Windows. And yes, Dan,
    > even some from Slackware. Ubuntu's base is diverse. So again, I believe
    > 'near zero' is way off.

    Sure, there are some more experienced users. I would guess that the
    majority of those even would not do any compiling from source. Extra
    repositories is about as adventurous as they get, I think. Perhaps I'll
    revise my estimate to be "less than 10%". Would you be able to agree with
    that figure?

  9. Re: OpenOffice 3 for Ubuntu

    In article , ceed wrote:
    >On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 19:55:58 -0500, AZ Nomad
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 14:46:45 -0500, ceed
    >> wrote:

    >> I always avoid .0 releases.

    Agreed ... and the 0. versions as well of course.

    >> open office 2.4.x has been totally wonderful. I don't see a need to
    >> betatest 3.x

    >There are certain Word and Excel compatibility issues which are resolved
    >in 3.0, so I would like to get hold of it as soon as possible. I agree
    >with you on the .0 approach in general though.

    Interesting. I was really surprised that 2.4 included with 7.10 happily
    opened various MS office 2007 files and I have had no trouble. Are there
    particular things you need that don't work ? ... if so, can you specify so I
    can watch out for them ?

    Thanks

  10. Re: OpenOffice 3 for Ubuntu

    On 2008-10-20, ceed wrote:
    > On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 12:15:00 -0500, ceed wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Does anyone know when/if OpenOffice 3 will be/is available for Ubuntu? I
    >> know I can work my way through all the debs from the OpenOffice download
    >> sites, but I would rather wait for it to be packaged for Ubuntu (unless
    >> that's going to take months).
    >>

    > I prefer to be "tied" to repositories. It means that everyting works at
    > all times even if I sometimes have to wait a little for software like now
    > with OpenOffice 3. I even sometimes think Ubunutu are too early with
    > letting software loose in the repositories and like the way Linux Mint
    > does it where you can choose to update based on levels of safety: 1 - 5
    > where 1 is tested safe packages and 5 is bleeding edge untested. I need my
    > computer to work at all times (for work). However, it would be great
    > getting OpenOffice 3 since it has features I would like to have access to
    > as soon as possible, but not if it means other things breaks in the
    > process.

    That's not something you have to worry about, though; you can do as I
    did, and install OpenOffice 3 right alongside Hardy's installation of
    OpenOffice 2.4. Just download and install the debs, and you'll get a
    totally independent installation in /opt/openoffice.org3/.

    Then, if you like, simply fire up the GNOME menu editor and change the
    menu launcher properties to point to the new version... e.g., replace

    /usr/bin/ooffice -writer %U

    with

    /opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice -writer %U

    And you're done!

    --
    Mark Shroyer, http://markshroyer.com/contact/

  11. Re: OpenOffice 3 for Ubuntu

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 02:18:06 -0400, Mark Shroyer wrote:

    > [...]
    > install OpenOffice 3 right alongside Hardy's installation of OpenOffice
    > 2.4. Just download and install the debs, and you'll get a totally
    > independent installation in /opt/openoffice.org3/.

    Well, I tried that (on Kubuntu 7.10) when v3.0 became available.
    Unfortunately it didn't work. Due to a missing "sunjavaplugin.so" file
    none of the OOo programs did run. After wasting a couple of hours to
    figure out where to find that missing file OOo was complaining about,
    I removed the v3 installation and recovered 2.4.3 from backup.

    --
    Matthias
    /"\

  12. Re: OpenOffice 3 for Ubuntu

    Dan C wrote:
    > I think you are missing my point a little. Perhaps many of these n00bs
    > *can* follow a HOWTO, but my question was more like: How many of them
    > actually *would* do it?

    Probably not many. Especially if it involved a shell.

    > Sure, there are some more experienced users. I would guess that the
    > majority of those even would not do any compiling from source. Extra
    > repositories is about as adventurous as they get, I think. Perhaps I'll
    > revise my estimate to be "less than 10%". Would you be able to agree with
    > that figure?

    "_Fewer_ than 10%". You would have had me at 5%.

    To further your point, I actually know folks who would wait for the next
    version of their distro to become available, rather than install
    something from source. But this would apply to a larger Linux base than
    just Ubuntu. All major distros perhaps, other than Slackware and Gentoo,
    of course.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  13. Re: OpenOffice 3 for Ubuntu

    johnny bobby bee wrote:

    > Dan C wrote:
    >> What percentage of *buntu users do you think are going to use other (than
    >> default) repositories, much less compile/install from source?
    >>
    >> It's a serious question. My guess is a percentage *very* near zero.

    > I know quite a few, some in this NG, including myself. So, not near zero.

    I guess > 50% of the desktop users use at least the Medibuntu repository.

    Florian

  14. Re: OpenOffice 3 for Ubuntu

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 01:18:06 -0500, Mark Shroyer
    wrote:

    > Then, if you like, simply fire up the GNOME menu editor and change the
    > menu launcher properties to point to the new version... e.g., replace
    > /usr/bin/ooffice -writer %U
    > with
    > /opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice -writer %U
    > And you're done!

    That's what I will do. Thank you for the directions. You are sure I won't
    mess up anything else on my system by installing the OO debs? One of my
    questions when it comes to situations like this is "can I get back to
    square one if it messes someting up?". In this case it seems like it won't.

    --
    //ceed

  15. Re: OpenOffice 3 for Ubuntu

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 17:14:14 -0500, ceed wrote:

    > On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 14:58:31 -0500, caver1 wrote:
    >
    >> Thats where you an I differ. If everything stays the same I get bored
    >> so I always try the newest as soon as possible. So far I am bored with
    >> OO3. Everything is working fine on two machines. caver1

    > No, I do not think we differ that much. There was a time when I ran
    > Linux for the hell of it. I compiled kernels and broke everything as
    > soon as I had a working system just to see if I could fix it. These days
    > Linux is my work OS, so I simply can't afford having a non fuctioning OO
    > (or laptop) even for a couple of hours. I love to mess around with
    > things, but in this case that's a luxury I can't afford
    >
    > And that's what I like about Ubuntu, or in this case Mint: It just
    > works, but is still Linux!

    If that is the case why do you want to install a shiny new version of
    some software that is already working for you without any problems?
    Wouldn't it be better to wait a couple of months and keep posted on any
    potential issues?

    It's not that version 3 brings anything new that will get you a raise or
    increase your productivity. It's just more of the same.

  16. Re: OpenOffice 3 for Ubuntu

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 16:49:26 -0500, Dan C wrote:
    > OK, so "a few". How many folks do you think are using *buntu right now?
    > Is it measured in the hundreds of thousands, would you think? What does
    > that come out to, in percentage?
    >
    > Like I said, "near zero".

    You clearly haven't the faintest idea about the *ubuntu user base.

    Have a nice day.

  17. Re: OpenOffice 3 for Ubuntu

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 22:08:33 -0500, Dan C
    wrote:

    > I think you are missing my point a little. Perhaps many of these n00bs
    > *can* follow a HOWTO, but my question was more like: How many of them
    > actually *would* do it? Many (most?) *buntu users do not even approach
    > such a "drastic" measure as adding/changing repositories. They simply
    > don't know that they can. Remember, probably 99.5% of users don't use
    > newsgroups, nor even know what they are. They simply don't need the
    > added
    > power/resource of customizing repository listings, as they don't ever
    > really add any new software to the default installed packages.

    I think you are right. However, if we want Linux to reach further into the
    Windows and Mac user base that's where the majority of users are. Ubuntu
    is taking Linux "mainstream". Like it or not!

    --
    //ceed

  18. Re: OpenOffice 3 for Ubuntu

    Mario Figueiredo wrote:
    > On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 16:49:26 -0500, Dan C wrote:
    >> OK, so "a few". How many folks do you think are using *buntu right now?
    >> Is it measured in the hundreds of thousands, would you think? What does
    >> that come out to, in percentage?
    >>
    >> Like I said, "near zero".

    > You clearly haven't the faintest idea about the *ubuntu user base.
    >
    > Have a nice day.

    According to Distrowatch Ubuntu is the most popular distro

    Dave Thompson

  19. Re: OpenOffice 3 for Ubuntu

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 08:40:30 -0500, Mario Figueiredo
    wrote:

    > If that is the case why do you want to install a shiny new version of
    > some software that is already working for you without any problems?
    > Wouldn't it be better to wait a couple of months and keep posted on any
    > potential issues?
    > It's not that version 3 brings anything new that will get you a raise or
    > increase your productivity. It's just more of the same.

    I said in another post that the reason I am kinda eager getting 3.0 is
    that some Word and Excel compatibility issues are solved in 3.0. I work on
    contracts a lot, so I need to stay as close to MS Office as possible. OO 3
    may be a little buggy, but it will save me a lot of time since it works
    better with revision tracking and such in Word and Excel documents. I
    normally wait for the repos to catch up, but in this case I am willing to
    go a little further to get something I need.

    --
    //ceed

  20. Re: OpenOffice 3 for Ubuntu

    ceed wrote:
    > On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 08:40:30 -0500, Mario Figueiredo
    > wrote:
    >
    >> If that is the case why do you want to install a shiny new version of
    >> some software that is already working for you without any problems?
    >> Wouldn't it be better to wait a couple of months and keep posted on any
    >> potential issues?
    >> It's not that version 3 brings anything new that will get you a raise or
    >> increase your productivity. It's just more of the same.

    > I said in another post that the reason I am kinda eager getting 3.0 is
    > that some Word and Excel compatibility issues are solved in 3.0. I work
    > on contracts a lot, so I need to stay as close to MS Office as possible.
    > OO 3 may be a little buggy, but it will save me a lot of time since it
    > works better with revision tracking and such in Word and Excel
    > documents. I normally wait for the repos to catch up, but in this case I
    > am willing to go a little further to get something I need.

    If you are worried about it corrupting something why don't you
    virtualize an OS then load 003 there. can't hurt anything and you can
    still try it out to see if its what you want before you put it on your
    main system?
    caver1