Help... very aggressive Kubuntu 8.04 screen saver - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Help... very aggressive Kubuntu 8.04 screen saver - Ubuntu ; Hi, While I wrote the subject line, the screen saver kicked in 3 times...! Help. I have a HP/Compaq nc6120. I originally installed Kubuntu 7.04 and had no problems. Then upgraded to 7.10, still no problems. Now I upgraded to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Help... very aggressive Kubuntu 8.04 screen saver

  1. Help... very aggressive Kubuntu 8.04 screen saver

    Hi,

    While I wrote the subject line, the screen saver kicked in 3 times...! Help.

    I have a HP/Compaq nc6120. I originally installed Kubuntu 7.04 and had
    no problems. Then upgraded to 7.10, still no problems. Now I upgraded to
    8.04 and I cannot figure out how to get rid of this screen saver issue.
    It happens also when I have AC power, just a little less aggressive. The
    funny thing is that it happens as I type, move the mouse etc.

    Can you advice me on how to fix this problem, I really like Kubuntu, but
    this is extremely annoying.

    I have lost count on how many times the screen saver kicked in as I
    wrote this message. Please help.

    Regards
    Carsten Arnholm

  2. Re: Help... very aggressive Kubuntu 8.04 screen saver

    "Carsten A. Arnholm" wrote in
    news:fbadnXR2_t1uCGbV4p2dnAA@telenor.com:

    > Hi,
    >
    > While I wrote the subject line, the screen saver kicked in 3 times...!
    > Help.
    >
    >
    > Can you advice me on how to fix this problem, I really like Kubuntu,
    > but this is extremely annoying.
    >
    >



    System Settings -> Desktop -> Screen Saver


  3. Re: Help... very aggressive Kubuntu 8.04 screen saver

    In article ,
    Carsten A. Arnholm wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > While I wrote the subject line, the screen saver kicked in 3 times...! Help.
    >
    > I have a HP/Compaq nc6120. I originally installed Kubuntu 7.04 and had
    > no problems. Then upgraded to 7.10, still no problems. Now I upgraded to
    > 8.04 and I cannot figure out how to get rid of this screen saver issue.
    > It happens also when I have AC power, just a little less aggressive. The
    > funny thing is that it happens as I type, move the mouse etc.
    >
    > Can you advice me on how to fix this problem, I really like Kubuntu, but
    > this is extremely annoying.
    >
    > I have lost count on how many times the screen saver kicked in as I
    > wrote this message. Please help.


    Maybe your "hot corner" is defined to be the entire screen, or your
    mouse is actually in a reasonably-sized "hot corner"? Check the
    GUI's screensaver settings, look for anything bizarre, and re-set even
    sane things in case they're bizarre behind the scenes.

    --
    -eben QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP royalty.mine.nu:81
    LIBRA: A big promotion is just around the corner for someone
    much more talented than you. Laughter is the very best medicine,
    remember that when your appendix bursts next week. -- Weird Al

  4. Re: Help... very aggressive Kubuntu 8.04 screen saver

    Carsten A. Arnholm schreef:
    > Hi,
    >
    > While I wrote the subject line, the screen saver kicked in 3 times...!
    > Help.
    >
    > I have a HP/Compaq nc6120. I originally installed Kubuntu 7.04 and had
    > no problems. Then upgraded to 7.10, still no problems. Now I upgraded to
    > 8.04 and I cannot figure out how to get rid of this screen saver issue.
    > It happens also when I have AC power, just a little less aggressive. The
    > funny thing is that it happens as I type, move the mouse etc.
    >
    > Can you advice me on how to fix this problem, I really like Kubuntu, but
    > this is extremely annoying.
    >
    > I have lost count on how many times the screen saver kicked in as I
    > wrote this message. Please help.
    >
    > Regards
    > Carsten Arnholm


    Very weird it's not killed by keyboard activity/
    Does it react on the mouse?

    Anyhow, the screen saver settings can be changed via right clicking on
    the desktop and selecting the Desktop Settings.

    Next select Screen saver and change whatever needs change.

  5. Re: Help... very aggressive Kubuntu 8.04 screen saver

    Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    > Carsten A. Arnholm schreef:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> While I wrote the subject line, the screen saver kicked in 3 times...!
    >> Help.
    >>
    >> I have a HP/Compaq nc6120. I originally installed Kubuntu 7.04 and had
    >> no problems. Then upgraded to 7.10, still no problems. Now I upgraded
    >> to 8.04 and I cannot figure out how to get rid of this screen saver
    >> issue. It happens also when I have AC power, just a little less
    >> aggressive. The funny thing is that it happens as I type, move the
    >> mouse etc.
    >>
    >> Can you advice me on how to fix this problem, I really like Kubuntu,
    >> but this is extremely annoying.
    >>
    >> I have lost count on how many times the screen saver kicked in as I
    >> wrote this message. Please help.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Carsten Arnholm

    >
    > Very weird it's not killed by keyboard activity/
    > Does it react on the mouse?


    Sometimes, but not consistently, the screen saver kiks in when I move
    the mouse. Moving it again brings the screen back.... for a little while.

    > Anyhow, the screen saver settings can be changed via right clicking on
    > the desktop and selecting the Desktop Settings.


    Sure. It was the first thing I tried, without success. I have switched
    it off completely, rebooted etc. Still I have this problem.

    > Next select Screen saver and change whatever needs change.


    This does not help. But as an experiment I enabled one of the OpenGL
    screen savers (I used to have black screen screensaver). Still, when the
    screen drops out, it is black.

    So my problem may be something different?

  6. Re: Help... very aggressive Kubuntu 8.04 screen saver

    propman wrote:
    > "Carsten A. Arnholm" wrote in
    > news:fbadnXR2_t1uCGbV4p2dnAA@telenor.com:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> While I wrote the subject line, the screen saver kicked in 3 times...!
    >> Help.
    >>
    >>
    >> Can you advice me on how to fix this problem, I really like Kubuntu,
    >> but this is extremely annoying.
    >>
    >>

    >
    >
    > System Settings -> Desktop -> Screen Saver
    >


    Sorry that I forgot to say that I had tried that, no difference.

    I have now tried switching off power saving, but this does not help either.

  7. Re: Help... very aggressive Kubuntu 8.04 screen saver

    "Carsten A. Arnholm" wrote in
    news:I92dnXP7X8UALGbVRVnzvQA@telenor.com:

    > propman wrote:
    >> "Carsten A. Arnholm" wrote in
    >> news:fbadnXR2_t1uCGbV4p2dnAA@telenor.com:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> While I wrote the subject line, the screen saver kicked in 3
    >>> times...! Help.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Can you advice me on how to fix this problem, I really like Kubuntu,
    >>> but this is extremely annoying.
    >>>
    >>>

    >>
    >>
    >> System Settings -> Desktop -> Screen Saver
    >>

    >
    > Sorry that I forgot to say that I had tried that, no difference.
    >


    No problem. :-)


    > I have now tried switching off power saving, but this does not help
    > either.
    >



    Couple of other things to check out besides what has already been
    suggested:

    System -> Desktop Effects

    Any kind of weird settings in /etx/X11/xorg.conf.

    Incorrect video driver or video driver setting


  8. Re: Help... very aggressive Kubuntu 8.04 screen saver

    "Carsten A. Arnholm" wrote in
    news:CKOdnYPzGptFLWbVRVnzvQA@telenor.com:

    > Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    >> Carsten A. Arnholm schreef:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> While I wrote the subject line, the screen saver kicked in 3 times...!
    >>> Help.
    >>>
    >>> I have a HP/Compaq nc6120. I originally installed Kubuntu 7.04 and had
    >>> no problems. Then upgraded to 7.10, still no problems. Now I upgraded
    >>> to 8.04 and I cannot figure out how to get rid of this screen saver
    >>> issue. It happens also when I have AC power, just a little less
    >>> aggressive. The funny thing is that it happens as I type, move the
    >>> mouse etc.
    >>>



    Hmmm.......this reminds me....does the mouse have a scroll wheel? I've run
    into a couple of situations before (though not IIRC on linux based units)
    where the scroll wheel was erraticaly(sp??) affecting screen display.
    Maybe something to check out anyways.. :-)


  9. Re: Help... very aggressive Kubuntu 8.04 screen saver

    propman wrote:
    > "Carsten A. Arnholm" wrote in
    > news:CKOdnYPzGptFLWbVRVnzvQA@telenor.com:
    >
    >> Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    >>> Carsten A. Arnholm schreef:
    >>>> Hi,
    >>>>
    >>>> While I wrote the subject line, the screen saver kicked in 3 times...!
    >>>> Help.
    >>>>
    >>>> I have a HP/Compaq nc6120. I originally installed Kubuntu 7.04 and had
    >>>> no problems. Then upgraded to 7.10, still no problems. Now I upgraded
    >>>> to 8.04 and I cannot figure out how to get rid of this screen saver
    >>>> issue. It happens also when I have AC power, just a little less
    >>>> aggressive. The funny thing is that it happens as I type, move the
    >>>> mouse etc.
    >>>>

    >
    >
    > Hmmm.......this reminds me....does the mouse have a scroll wheel? I've run
    > into a couple of situations before (though not IIRC on linux based units)
    > where the scroll wheel was erraticaly(sp??) affecting screen display.
    > Maybe something to check out anyways.. :-)
    >


    If all else fails, run gnome system monitor and stop gnome power mangler
    and gnome screensaver processes.
    If it still blacks out, somethings really weird.

    btw, I've found on my Edgy and Feisty (MythTV) systems, killing these
    processes has to be done soon (but not too soon) after a restart.
    If I restart and immediately stop them, I still get blanking. If I
    forget and the screen blanks once, killing them at that point doesn't
    prevent future blankings. Never timed it but I try to mess around for
    2-3 minutes before nuking them.
    ymmv...

    There's volumes on google about screensavers, powersavers, blanking,
    etc. Tons of guesses about what to add or remove from xorg.conf to make
    it go away. I tried a whole bunch, still no joy.

  10. Re: Help... very aggressive Kubuntu 8.04 screen saver

    propman wrote:
    > "Carsten A. Arnholm" wrote in
    >>>> I have a HP/Compaq nc6120. I originally installed Kubuntu 7.04 and
    >>>> had no problems. Then upgraded to 7.10, still no problems. Now I
    >>>> upgraded to 8.04 and I cannot figure out how to get rid of this
    >>>> screen saver issue. It happens also when I have AC power, just a
    >>>> little less aggressive. The funny thing is that it happens as I
    >>>> type, move the mouse etc.
    >>>>

    >
    > Hmmm.......this reminds me....does the mouse have a scroll wheel?


    Yes. I have used the same mouse all the time since Kubuntu 7.04

    > I've run into a couple of situations before (though not IIRC on linux
    > based units) where the scroll wheel was erraticaly(sp??) affecting
    > screen display. Maybe something to check out anyways.. :-)


    Maybe. I will consider this too, but it seems unlikely, since the problem
    also happens when I remove the mouse and use only the mousepad.



  11. Re: Help... very aggressive Kubuntu 8.04 screen saver

    clay wrote:
    > If all else fails, run gnome system monitor and stop gnome power
    > mangler and gnome screensaver processes.
    > If it still blacks out, somethings really weird.


    But you realise I run Kubuntu as reported in subject line and first post?
    That is KDE, not Gnome.

    > btw, I've found on my Edgy and Feisty (MythTV) systems, killing these
    > processes has to be done soon (but not too soon) after a restart.
    > If I restart and immediately stop them, I still get blanking. If I
    > forget and the screen blanks once, killing them at that point doesn't
    > prevent future blankings. Never timed it but I try to mess around for
    > 2-3 minutes before nuking them.
    > ymmv...


    That sounds kind of similar, but....

    > There's volumes on google about screensavers, powersavers, blanking,
    > etc. Tons of guesses about what to add or remove from xorg.conf to
    > make it go away. I tried a whole bunch, still no joy.


    That is bad news. Maybe I need a clean install (from scratch) of Kubuntu
    8.04?



  12. Re: Help... very aggressive Kubuntu 8.04 screen saver

    Hactar wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Carsten A. Arnholm wrote:
    >> I have lost count on how many times the screen saver kicked in as I
    >> wrote this message. Please help.

    >
    > Maybe your "hot corner" is defined to be the entire screen, or your
    > mouse is actually in a reasonably-sized "hot corner"? Check the
    > GUI's screensaver settings, look for anything bizarre, and re-set even
    > sane things in case they're bizarre behind the scenes.


    I didn't know about "hot corners", none are defined when I check.



  13. Re: Help... very aggressive Kubuntu 8.04 screen saver

    propman wrote:
    > Any kind of weird settings in /etx/X11/xorg.conf.
    >
    > Incorrect video driver or video driver setting


    I have copied my /etx/X11/xorg.conf to
    http://arnholm.org/tmp/xorg.conf

    .....if you want to take a look. I don't know what might be wrong.



  14. Re: Help... very aggressive Kubuntu 8.04 screen saver

    Carsten A. Arnholm wrote:
    > clay wrote:
    >> If all else fails, run gnome system monitor and stop gnome power
    >> mangler and gnome screensaver processes.
    >> If it still blacks out, somethings really weird.

    >
    > But you realise I run Kubuntu as reported in subject line and first post?
    > That is KDE, not Gnome.


    doh! oops... you did type Kubuntu, you did, you did. My bad.
    I'm assuming K has similar GUIs to monitor system functions. If not,
    disregard everything I typed. *g*
    If so, kill them after they've started and see if the problem goes away.
    Won't fix anything, and won't help me help you (since as you can see, I
    can't even 'solve' it on mine) but may give others some ideas to work with.
    Crypes, the wizards here write fancy cron skripts that do stuff like
    count to a hundred then turn off power manager and screensaver
    automatically, after reboot.
    So, the problem isn't really fixed... just not a problem anymore.

    >
    >> btw, I've found on my Edgy and Feisty (MythTV) systems, killing these
    >> processes has to be done soon (but not too soon) after a restart.
    >> If I restart and immediately stop them, I still get blanking. If I
    >> forget and the screen blanks once, killing them at that point doesn't
    >> prevent future blankings. Never timed it but I try to mess around for
    >> 2-3 minutes before nuking them.


    I forgot to add, disabling these through the usual methods, power
    management, screensaver GUI, so they didn't start in the first place,
    did not prevent them from intruding on my life...

    >> ymmv...

    >
    > That sounds kind of similar, but....
    >
    >> There's volumes on google about screensavers, powersavers, blanking,
    >> etc. Tons of guesses about what to add or remove from xorg.conf to
    >> make it go away. I tried a whole bunch, still no joy.

    >
    > That is bad news. Maybe I need a clean install (from scratch) of Kubuntu
    > 8.04?
    >


    Reinstall may fix it, may not. I dunno...

    You will most certainly have different results than I did so it might be
    worth trying some of the 'fixes'... iirc, ACPI has been a problem that
    affects screen blanking. DPMS can cause it and there's stuff to add to
    xorg.conf to disable that.

    >


  15. Re: Help... very aggressive Kubuntu 8.04 screen saver

    Carsten A. Arnholm wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > While I wrote the subject line, the screen saver kicked in 3
    > times...! Help.
    > I have a HP/Compaq nc6120. I originally installed Kubuntu 7.04 and had
    > no problems. Then upgraded to 7.10, still no problems. Now I upgraded
    > to 8.04 and I cannot figure out how to get rid of this screen saver
    > issue. It happens also when I have AC power, just a little less
    > aggressive.
    > The funny thing is that it happens as I type, move the mouse etc.
    >
    > Can you advice me on how to fix this problem, I really like Kubuntu,
    > but this is extremely annoying.
    >
    > I have lost count on how many times the screen saver kicked in as I
    > wrote this message. Please help.
    >
    > Regards
    > Carsten Arnholm


    Hi,

    I still have this problem, despite several suggestions.

    I have a strong suspicion this might be related to power management. When I
    check
    K Menu > System Settings > Monitor & display > Power management
    I am able to switch off power management, but it seems to come right back
    for no reason.

    After some research I am trying to switch off ACPI ("Advanced Configuration
    Power Interface") using these commands

    /etc/init.d/acpid stop
    and
    /etc/init.d/acpid start

    I am told the ACPI service is stopped and restarted OK. Is this likely to
    solve my problem and will it have any serious side effects to switch off
    ACPI?

    Regards
    Carsten A. Arnholm
    http://arnholm.org/
    N59.776 E10.457



  16. Re: Help... very aggressive Kubuntu 8.04 screen saver

    Carsten A. Arnholm wrote:
    > I still have this problem, despite several suggestions.
    >
    > I have a strong suspicion this might be related to power management.
    > When I check
    > K Menu > System Settings > Monitor & display > Power management
    > I am able to switch off power management, but it seems to come right
    > back for no reason.
    >
    > After some research I am trying to switch off ACPI ("Advanced
    > Configuration Power Interface") using these commands
    >
    > /etc/init.d/acpid stop
    > and
    > /etc/init.d/acpid start
    >
    > I am told the ACPI service is stopped and restarted OK. Is this
    > likely to solve my problem and will it have any serious side effects
    > to switch off ACPI?


    Hi again,

    Ok, there is a side effect after restarting ACPI. Now I have to unlock the
    desktop every time the screen goes black!! The screen saver option to lock
    the desktop is off.

    I am trying to run with /etc/init.d/acpid stop to see how that works

    This whole mess looks a bit like this (although I am on Kubuntu)
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=293963




  17. Re: Help... very aggressive Kubuntu 8.04 screen saver

    Carsten A. Arnholm wrote:
    > ...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I still have this problem, despite several suggestions.
    >
    > I have a strong suspicion this might be related to power management. When I
    > check
    > K Menu > System Settings > Monitor & display > Power management
    > I am able to switch off power management, but it seems to come right back
    > for no reason.


    Can you use whatever GUI Kubuntu has that shows the processes (system
    monitor in Ubuntu) to End the process for power management and
    screensaver? It should stay dead until you restart...

    >
    > I am told the ACPI service is stopped and restarted OK. Is this likely to
    > solve my problem and will it have any serious side effects to switch off
    > ACPI?


    From what I've read in this group and elsewhere, ACPI is shoddy from
    the go. Your PC can live without it. (that's one of the fixes I tried
    that didn't work, btw.)

  18. Re: Help... very aggressive Kubuntu 8.04 screen saver

    Carsten A. Arnholm schreef:
    > Carsten A. Arnholm wrote:
    >> I still have this problem, despite several suggestions.
    >>
    >> I have a strong suspicion this might be related to power management.
    >> When I check
    >> K Menu > System Settings > Monitor & display > Power management
    >> I am able to switch off power management, but it seems to come right
    >> back for no reason.
    >>
    >> After some research I am trying to switch off ACPI ("Advanced
    >> Configuration Power Interface") using these commands
    >>
    >> /etc/init.d/acpid stop
    >> and
    >> /etc/init.d/acpid start
    >>
    >> I am told the ACPI service is stopped and restarted OK. Is this
    >> likely to solve my problem and will it have any serious side effects
    >> to switch off ACPI?

    >
    > Hi again,
    >
    > Ok, there is a side effect after restarting ACPI. Now I have to unlock the
    > desktop every time the screen goes black!! The screen saver option to lock
    > the desktop is off.
    >
    > I am trying to run with /etc/init.d/acpid stop to see how that works
    >
    > This whole mess looks a bit like this (although I am on Kubuntu)
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=293963
    >
    >
    >

    On my old Toshiba laptop something similar, black screen even though I
    had not specified it in the power saving options, this was caused by a
    setting in the BIOS.
    Probably worth looking at...

  19. Re: Help... very aggressive Kubuntu 8.04 screen saver

    Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    > On my old Toshiba laptop something similar, black screen even though I
    > had not specified it in the power saving options, this was caused by a
    > setting in the BIOS.
    > Probably worth looking at...


    Well, I have been running without the black screens now for a while, after
    issuing

    /etc/init.d/acpid stop

    So it does seem to confirm that ACPI is to blame....

    I have not performed any BIOS changes, and this didn't use to be a problem
    with Kubuntu 7.04 or 7.10.




  20. Re: Help... very aggressive Kubuntu 8.04 screen saver

    clay wrote:
    > From what I've read in this group and elsewhere, ACPI is shoddy from
    > the go. Your PC can live without it. (that's one of the fixes I tried
    > that didn't work, btw.)


    Thanks, it seems to work for me to stop ACPI

    /etc/init.d/acpid stop

    Assuming this works for some time, I will probably disable ACPI at boot
    time, as described in
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...highlight=acpi



+ Reply to Thread