FWIW........seems I was mistaken about Ubuntu v8.04 not having a menu
selection for displayconfig-gtk in a LiveCD install.

Displayconfig-gtk is a GUI for setting up your system's monitor and
video card parameters (ie, resolution, refresh rate etc).

While searching for something else in the Menu Editor, I noticed "Screen
and Graphics" in the "Other" section.....quick check of "properties"
showed that it indeed was the missing displayconfig-gtk.

The Ubuntu v8.04 LiveCD installs the displayconfig-gtk to hard drive but
it is not enabled by default as is the case with Kubuntu v8.04.

Posting this update in hope that it will help any newbie stuck in
"800x600" or lower resolution.