Which Ubuntu do I have? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Which Ubuntu do I have? - Ubuntu ; Linux ComputerName 2.6.24-19-generic #1 SMP Wed Jun 18 14:43:41 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux it appears I need to know which Ubuntu I have in order to get the correct driver for broadcom ethernet card I have. Can I tell which ...

  1. Which Ubuntu do I have?

    Linux ComputerName 2.6.24-19-generic #1 SMP Wed Jun 18 14:43:41 UTC
    2008 i686 GNU/Linux

    it appears I need to know which Ubuntu I have in order to get the
    correct driver for broadcom ethernet card I have. Can I tell which
    "name", (Hardy, Gutsy, Feisty, Dapper), I have?

    thanks
    peter

  2. Re: Which Ubuntu do I have?

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 14:20:21 -0400, peter wrote:

    > it appears I need to know which Ubuntu I have in order to get the
    > correct driver for broadcom ethernet card I have. Can I tell which
    > "name", (Hardy, Gutsy, Feisty, Dapper), I have?

    System | About Ubuntu

    This menu entry will tell you which Ubuntu you have.

  3. Re: Which Ubuntu do I have?

    type

    lsb_release -a

    On 2008-10-18, peter wrote:
    > Linux ComputerName 2.6.24-19-generic #1 SMP Wed Jun 18 14:43:41 UTC
    > 2008 i686 GNU/Linux
    >
    > it appears I need to know which Ubuntu I have in order to get the
    > correct driver for broadcom ethernet card I have. Can I tell which
    > "name", (Hardy, Gutsy, Feisty, Dapper), I have?
    >
    > thanks
    > peter

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  4. Re: Which Ubuntu do I have?

    Ignoramus1054 wrote:
    > type
    > lsb_release -a

    That doesn't work here (Kubuntu 8.04.1), but this one does
    cat /etc/lsb-release

    HTH

    Peter

  5. Re: Which Ubuntu do I have?

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 18:29:50 +0000, Thomas Jespersen wrote:

    > On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 14:20:21 -0400, peter wrote:
    >
    >> it appears I need to know which Ubuntu I have in order to get the
    >> correct driver for broadcom ethernet card I have. Can I tell which
    >> "name", (Hardy, Gutsy, Feisty, Dapper), I have?

    > System | About Ubuntu
    >
    > This menu entry will tell you which Ubuntu you have.

    When I do this, I get a philosophical discussion of Ubuntu, interesting
    but not quite what the guy was asking for. It is a good question though.
    How do you get all the info, e.g., kernel, video, etc?? Isn't there a
    command line you can run?

  6. Re: Which Ubuntu do I have?

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 15:16:05 -0500, LittleGorm wrote:

    > When I do this, I get a philosophical discussion of Ubuntu, interesting
    > but not quite what the guy was asking for. It is a good question though.

    Well, call it a philosophical discussion if you will but at my copy it
    clearly writes "Thank you for your interest in Ubuntu 8.04 - the Hardy
    Heron - released in April 2008."

  7. Re: Which Ubuntu do I have? Answer

    Thomas Jespersen wrote:
    > On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 15:16:05 -0500, LittleGorm wrote:
    >
    >> When I do this, I get a philosophical discussion of Ubuntu, interesting
    >> but not quite what the guy was asking for. It is a good question though.

    > Well, call it a philosophical discussion if you will but at my copy it
    > clearly writes "Thank you for your interest in Ubuntu 8.04 - the Hardy
    > Heron - released in April 2008."

    Both statements are true, I have the Hardy Heron as well. I had
    wondered where the name Ubuntu came from, (I was also pronouncing it
    incorrectly.

    Thanks for the answers,

    peter

  8. Re: Which Ubuntu do I have?

    peter wrote:
    > Linux ComputerName 2.6.24-19-generic #1 SMP Wed Jun 18 14:43:41 UTC
    > 2008 i686 GNU/Linux
    >
    > it appears I need to know which Ubuntu I have in order to get the
    > correct driver for broadcom ethernet card I have. Can I tell which
    > "name", (Hardy, Gutsy, Feisty, Dapper), I have?
    >
    > thanks
    > peter

    you can tell by the default wallpaper, hardy has a heron etc.....

    andrew

  9. Re: Which Ubuntu do I have?

    andrew fox wrote:
    > peter wrote:
    >> Linux ComputerName 2.6.24-19-generic #1 SMP Wed Jun 18 14:43:41 UTC
    >> 2008 i686 GNU/Linux
    >>
    >> it appears I need to know which Ubuntu I have in order to get the
    >> correct driver for broadcom ethernet card I have. Can I tell which
    >> "name", (Hardy, Gutsy, Feisty, Dapper), I have?
    >>
    >> thanks
    >> peter

    > you can tell by the default wallpaper, hardy has a heron etc.....

    And those prior have just a brown, or slightly less brown wallpaper.
    It's hardly descriptive.

    --
    [ste]

  10. Re: Which Ubuntu do I have?

    peter wrote:
    > it appears I need to know which Ubuntu I have in order to get the
    > correct driver for broadcom ethernet card I have. Can I tell which
    > "name", (Hardy, Gutsy, Feisty, Dapper), I have?

    cat /etc/issue
    cat /etc/lsb-release

    --Benjamin Franklin

  11. Re: Which Ubuntu do I have?

    peter wrote:
    > Linux ComputerName 2.6.24-19-generic #1 SMP Wed Jun 18 14:43:41 UTC
    > 2008 i686 GNU/Linux
    >
    > it appears I need to know which Ubuntu I have in order to get the
    > correct driver for broadcom ethernet card I have. Can I tell which
    > "name", (Hardy, Gutsy, Feisty, Dapper), I have?

    lsb_release -a

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.1) Linux 2.6.26.6

  12. Re: Which Ubuntu do I have? Answer

    peter wrote:
    [...]
    > I had
    > wondered where the name Ubuntu came from, (I was also pronouncing it
    > incorrectly.

    'Ubuntu is an African word meaning 'Humanity to others', or 'I am what
    I am because of who we all are'. The Ubuntu distribution brings the
    spirit of Ubuntu to the software world. '

    more info at such as:
    http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu

    --
    ac

  13. Re: Which Ubuntu do I have?

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 14:20:21 -0400, peter wrote:

    > Linux ComputerName 2.6.24-19-generic #1 SMP Wed Jun 18 14:43:41 UTC 2008
    > i686 GNU/Linux
    >
    > it appears I need to know which Ubuntu I have in order to get the
    > correct driver for broadcom ethernet card I have. Can I tell which
    > "name", (Hardy, Gutsy, Feisty, Dapper), I have?
    >
    > thanks
    > peter

    The uname command will tell you all of your operating system specs. Run
    uname -h for options.

  14. Re: Which Ubuntu do I have?

    Michael D. Reiley wrote:
    > On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 14:20:21 -0400, peter wrote:
    >
    >> Linux ComputerName 2.6.24-19-generic #1 SMP Wed Jun 18 14:43:41 UTC 2008
    >> i686 GNU/Linux
    >>
    >> it appears I need to know which Ubuntu I have in order to get the
    >> correct driver for broadcom ethernet card I have. Can I tell which
    >> "name", (Hardy, Gutsy, Feisty, Dapper), I have?
    >>
    >> thanks
    >> peter

    > The uname command will tell you all of your operating system specs. Run
    > uname -h for options.

    This will give you *kernel* info. It won't tell you which distribution
    is running, which is what the OP is after.
    Due to kernel updates you could have several kernel versions for one
    distribution release.
    Granted, AFAICT Ubuntu keeps the kernel version, so if uname -r tells
    you you have a 2.6.22-15-generic kernel, you know you have GG.
    Josef M繹llers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)

  15. Re: Which Ubuntu do I have?

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 07:59:42 +1300, Peter wrote:

    > Ignoramus1054 wrote:
    >> type
    >> lsb_release -a

    > That doesn't work here (Kubuntu 8.04.1), ..

    "lsb_release -a" works fine on my Kubuntu 8.04.1.

  16. Re: Which Ubuntu do I have?

    Josef Moellers wrote:
    > Michael D. Reiley wrote:
    >> On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 14:20:21 -0400, peter wrote:
    >>
    >>> Linux ComputerName 2.6.24-19-generic #1 SMP Wed Jun 18 14:43:41 UTC 2008
    >>> i686 GNU/Linux
    >>>
    >>> it appears I need to know which Ubuntu I have in order to get the
    >>> correct driver for broadcom ethernet card I have. Can I tell which
    >>> "name", (Hardy, Gutsy, Feisty, Dapper), I have?
    >>>
    >>> thanks
    >>> peter

    >> The uname command will tell you all of your operating system specs.
    >> Run uname -h for options.

    > This will give you *kernel* info. It won't tell you which distribution
    > is running, which is what the OP is after.
    > Due to kernel updates you could have several kernel versions for one
    > distribution release.
    > Granted, AFAICT Ubuntu keeps the kernel version, so if uname -r tells
    > you you have a 2.6.22-15-generic kernel, you know you have GG.

    Ah, sorry, my mistake.

    After a short search, I found that the correct command is "lsb_release
    -a" as detailed below:

    fuzzypig@fp-paraphymn-ubuntu:~$ lsb_release -a
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Release: 8.04
    Codename: hardy

  17. Re: Which Ubuntu do I have?

    Michael D. Reiley wrote:
    > Josef Moellers wrote:
    >> Michael D. Reiley wrote:

    >>> The uname command will tell you all of your operating system specs.
    >>> Run uname -h for options.

    >> This will give you *kernel* info. It won't tell you which distribution
    >> is running, which is what the OP is after.
    >> Due to kernel updates you could have several kernel versions for one
    >> distribution release.
    >> Granted, AFAICT Ubuntu keeps the kernel version, so if uname -r tells
    >> you you have a 2.6.22-15-generic kernel, you know you have GG.

    > Ah, sorry, my mistake.
    >
    > After a short search, I found that the correct command is "lsb_release
    > -a" as detailed below:
    >
    > fuzzypig@fp-paraphymn-ubuntu:~$ lsb_release -a
    > No LSB modules are available.
    > Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    > Release: 8.04
    > Codename: hardy

    On Xubuntu > applications > system > system monitor first tab "System"
    This gives release, kernel, memory, CPU and available disk space. I know
    Ubuntu has the same and presume Kubuntu has it too.

+ Reply to Thread