Best app to view internet TV - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Best app to view internet TV - Ubuntu ; In your opinion, what is the best Linux app I can install to watch internet-based TV? I've used some apps on Windows, but don't know what is considered best under Ubuntu Linux. And if there's an app in one of ...

  1. Best app to view internet TV

    In your opinion, what is the best Linux app I can install to watch
    internet-based TV? I've used some apps on Windows, but don't know what
    is considered best under Ubuntu Linux. And if there's an app in one of
    the repositories, that's even better...

  2. Re: Best app to view internet TV

    Jeffrey Needle schreef:
    > In your opinion, what is the best Linux app I can install to watch
    > internet-based TV? I've used some apps on Windows, but don't know what
    > is considered best under Ubuntu Linux. And if there's an app in one of
    > the repositories, that's even better...

    I use mplayer as my main video do=anything because it's light.
    But VLC has even more tricks on it's sleeve.

    For both there is a Mozilla/Firefox plugin.

    Kaffeine is the media player for the KDE desktop (I run Kubuntu) and has
    it's own advantages and problems.

  3. Re: Best app to view internet TV

    > Jeffrey Needle schreef:
    >> In your opinion, what is the best Linux app I can install to watch
    >> internet-based TV? I've used some apps on Windows, but don't know what
    >> is considered best under Ubuntu Linux. And if there's an app in one of
    >> the repositories, that's even better...
    >>

    > I use mplayer as my main video do=anything because it's light. But VLC
    > has even more tricks on it's sleeve.
    >
    > For both there is a Mozilla/Firefox plugin.
    >
    > Kaffeine is the media player for the KDE desktop (I run Kubuntu) and has
    > it's own advantages and problems.

    I was really looking for more than a video player. I want to connect to
    channels that are available on the internet -- TV networks that offer
    broadcasting over the net.

  4. Re: Best app to view internet TV

    Jeffrey Needle wrote:
    > In your opinion, what is the best Linux app I can install to watch
    > internet-based TV?

    Depends on what you mean by internet-based TV. URL?
    Depends on the format of the videos.
    Depends on the codecs they use.
    Etc. etc. etc.

    More info and you'll get better answers.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  5. Re: Best app to view internet TV

    > Jeffrey Needle wrote:
    >> In your opinion, what is the best Linux app I can install to watch
    >> internet-based TV?

    > Depends on what you mean by internet-based TV. URL? Depends on the
    > format of the videos.
    > Depends on the codecs they use.
    > Etc. etc. etc.
    >
    > More info and you'll get better answers.

    Hmmm, I'm not sure.

    I like watching BYU TV. And I enjoy watching newscasts from Great
    Britain and other areas of the world. There are other religious stations
    I like to watch.

    I'm not sure I know much more about them.

    Thanks.

  6. Re: Best app to view internet TV

    Jeffrey Needle wrote:
    >> Jeffrey Needle wrote:
    >>> In your opinion, what is the best Linux app I can install to
    >>> watch internet-based TV?

    >> Depends on what you mean by internet-based TV. URL? Depends on
    >> the format of the videos. Depends on the codecs they use. Etc.
    >> etc. etc.
    >>
    >> More info and you'll get better answers.

    > Hmmm, I'm not sure.
    >
    > I like watching BYU TV. And I enjoy watching newscasts from Great
    > Britain and other areas of the world. There are other religious
    > stations I like to watch.
    >
    > I'm not sure I know much more about them.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Hi, Jeffrey

    Seems you are referring to something like this:-
    http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2008/07/...-grows-up.html

    That particular TV being geo restricted (you're not supposed to be
    able to view it from outside australia) aside, I can watch abciview
    on xubuntu amd64 8.04, the latest puppy linux live CD, and even win
    xp, but not ubuntu amd64 8.04

    I think there's a flash player plugin conflict somewhere in my Ubuntu
    install.

    Rather than try and diagnose the problem with Ubuntu, I use the other
    options when I want to watch iView.

    If I'm right about iview being the sort of thing you're looking for,
    the info may help others who can best help you

    --
    Bob
    "I don't believe in evil, I believe in right and wrong, and very

  7. Re: Best app to view internet TV

    > Hi, Jeffrey
    >
    > Seems you are referring to something like this:-
    > http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2008/07/...rnet-tv-grows-

    up.html

    > That particular TV being geo restricted (you're not supposed to be able
    > to view it from outside australia) aside, I can watch abciview on
    > xubuntu amd64 8.04, the latest puppy linux live CD, and even win xp, but
    > not ubuntu amd64 8.04
    >
    > I think there's a flash player plugin conflict somewhere in my Ubuntu
    > install.
    >
    > Rather than try and diagnose the problem with Ubuntu, I use the other
    > options when I want to watch iView.
    >
    > If I'm right about iview being the sort of thing you're looking for, the
    > info may help others who can best help you

    Thanks for the lead -- I'll check it out.

+ Reply to Thread