Prepare for reinstall questions? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Prepare for reinstall questions? - Ubuntu ; Now that I have 8.04 successfully running I still have a number of features/functions that I've screwed up while playing with it. Rather than attack each item individually (because they were working originally) I thought I would just clear and ...

  1. Prepare for reinstall questions?

    Now that I have 8.04 successfully running I still have a number of
    features/functions that I've screwed up while playing with it.
    Rather than attack each item individually (because they were working
    originally) I thought I would just clear and reinstall my 8.04 desktop
    version and reapply my configuration changes.

    My questions is this: What directories might I be able to backup prior to
    the reinstall that would be able to be reloaded upon completing hopefully
    saving me from the tedious job of remembering and applying each one?

    Surely someone must have been through this a few times already and would be
    willing to share knowledge?

    Thanks - Bob

  2. Re: Prepare for reinstall questions?

    Bob M schreef:
    > Now that I have 8.04 successfully running I still have a number of
    > features/functions that I've screwed up while playing with it.
    > Rather than attack each item individually (because they were working
    > originally) I thought I would just clear and reinstall my 8.04 desktop
    > version and reapply my configuration changes.
    >
    > My questions is this: What directories might I be able to backup prior to
    > the reinstall that would be able to be reloaded upon completing hopefully
    > saving me from the tedious job of remembering and applying each one?
    >
    > Surely someone must have been through this a few times already and would be
    > willing to share knowledge?
    >
    > Thanks - Bob

    The only one where you will be successful is your Home directory.

    You will still need to reinstall applications that you presently use but
    don't come with the standard install but at least your personal setting
    will this way be carried over.

  3. Re: Prepare for reinstall questions?

    Bob M wrote:

    > Now that I have 8.04 successfully running I still have a number of
    > features/functions that I've screwed up while playing with it.
    > Rather than attack each item individually (because they were working
    > originally) I thought I would just clear and reinstall my 8.04 desktop
    > version and reapply my configuration changes.
    >
    > My questions is this: What directories might I be able to backup prior to
    > the reinstall that would be able to be reloaded upon completing hopefully
    > saving me from the tedious job of remembering and applying each one?
    >
    > Surely someone must have been through this a few times already and would
    > be willing to share knowledge?

    No answer to your question but when trying out new features you can create a
    test account and mess around in that. If all goes wrong, just logout and
    then from your 'real' account just delete it (and create a new one if
    needed). Of course this doesn't work if you have been doing some changes
    as root.

  4. Re: Prepare for reinstall questions?

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 09:48:45 -0400, Bob M wrote:

    > Now that I have 8.04 successfully running I still have a number of
    > features/functions that I've screwed up while playing with it. Rather
    > than attack each item individually (because they were working
    > originally) I thought I would just clear and reinstall my 8.04 desktop
    > version and reapply my configuration changes.
    >
    > My questions is this: What directories might I be able to backup prior
    > to the reinstall that would be able to be reloaded upon completing
    > hopefully saving me from the tedious job of remembering and applying
    > each one?
    >
    > Surely someone must have been through this a few times already and would
    > be willing to share knowledge?

    I keep a system log in a paper notebook. Yes it's hard to search but it
    has bailed me out of such situations many times. Copy ~/.bash_aliases and
    everything else in $HOME that you want to keep to ~/save and burn to CD.

  5. Re: Prepare for reinstall questions?

    On 2008-10-18, Bob M wrote:
    > Now that I have 8.04 successfully running I still have a number of
    > features/functions that I've screwed up while playing with it.
    > Rather than attack each item individually (because they were working
    > originally) I thought I would just clear and reinstall my 8.04 desktop
    > version and reapply my configuration changes.

    Of course Intrepid Ibex is being released in a few weeks. Perhaps you
    would be better to wait for this?

    Andrew

    --
    echo 'hfrarg.naqerj@tznvy.pbz' | \
    tr 'A-M N-Z a-m n-z' 'N-Z A-M n-z a-m'

  6. Re: Prepare for reinstall questions?

    Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:

    > Bob M schreef:
    >> Now that I have 8.04 successfully running I still have a number of
    >> features/functions that I've screwed up while playing with it.
    >> Rather than attack each item individually (because they were working
    >> originally) I thought I would just clear and reinstall my 8.04 desktop
    >> version and reapply my configuration changes.
    >>
    >> My questions is this: What directories might I be able to backup prior
    >> to the reinstall that would be able to be reloaded upon completing
    >> hopefully saving me from the tedious job of remembering and applying each
    >> one?
    >>
    >> Surely someone must have been through this a few times already and would
    >> be willing to share knowledge?
    >>
    >> Thanks - Bob

    > The only one where you will be successful is your Home directory.
    >
    > You will still need to reinstall applications that you presently use but
    > don't come with the standard install but at least your personal setting
    > will this way be carried over.

    Take a look at APTonCD, it's in the repos. You can backup all the stuff
    you've installed on one system and load them on the new system. Learn more
    here ...

    http://aptoncd.sourceforge.net/

    It's really a useful utility.

    Cheers.