Partitioning - install problem - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Partitioning - install problem - Ubuntu ; I am trying to install Ubuntu (ubuntu-8.04.1-desktop-i386) on my laptop. My laptop is dual boot with Windows XP (on a FAT32 partiton), some other FAT32 partitions and various partitions containing Linux (Mandriva). I have never had problems installing those. The ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Partitioning - install problem

  1. Partitioning - install problem

    I am trying to install Ubuntu (ubuntu-8.04.1-desktop-i386) on my laptop.
    My laptop is dual boot with Windows XP (on a FAT32 partiton), some other
    FAT32 partitions and various partitions containing Linux (Mandriva). I
    have never had problems installing those.

    The problem is, the Ubuntu installer only sees the the hard disk as one
    partition (sda) and when I choose 'manual' partitioning I only get /dev/sda
    to choose from. Going one step further, the installer tells me I'm about
    to format the entire drive so here I quit the install process...

    When I do, I still can use Ubuntu/System/Partition Editor (gparted) and
    this also shows the hd as just one whole partition.

    I have also tried it on my desktop. Here the installer sees the various
    partitions but choosing 'manual partitioning' stops the install process
    forever (?) trying to read the disk. (I did this just to try. I would
    like to try Ubuntu out on my laptop, not desktop)

    I did try Ubuntu 7.? on same laptop some years ago with same result.

    Any ideas how to solve this?
    Does the Ubuntu installer have problems with the 'manual' part?

    Thanks





  2. Re: Partitioning - install problem

    Iordani schreef:
    > I am trying to install Ubuntu (ubuntu-8.04.1-desktop-i386) on my laptop.
    > My laptop is dual boot with Windows XP (on a FAT32 partiton), some other
    > FAT32 partitions and various partitions containing Linux (Mandriva). I
    > have never had problems installing those.
    >
    > The problem is, the Ubuntu installer only sees the the hard disk as one
    > partition (sda) and when I choose 'manual' partitioning I only get /dev/sda
    > to choose from. Going one step further, the installer tells me I'm about
    > to format the entire drive so here I quit the install process...
    >
    > When I do, I still can use Ubuntu/System/Partition Editor (gparted) and
    > this also shows the hd as just one whole partition.
    >
    > I have also tried it on my desktop. Here the installer sees the various
    > partitions but choosing 'manual partitioning' stops the install process
    > forever (?) trying to read the disk. (I did this just to try. I would
    > like to try Ubuntu out on my laptop, not desktop)
    >
    > I did try Ubuntu 7.? on same laptop some years ago with same result.
    >
    > Any ideas how to solve this?
    > Does the Ubuntu installer have problems with the 'manual' part?
    >
    > Thanks
    >


    Maybe I misunderstood you be here it goes.
    Please note hda is for most purposes equivalent to sda.
    Personally I alway like to see the partitoning as a separate job and use
    the GParted Live CD for it.

    I happily believe the partitioner sees only the hda disk in your laptop.
    Would there be a second disk it'll most likely be called hdb.

    The partitions should show up as hda1 (likely C: in Windows) hda2 etc.

    The GParted Live CD is generally considered fairly bullet proof and I'd
    usually say it's analysis of your hardware will be correct...

  3. Re: Partitioning - install problem

    Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:

    snip
    >
    > Maybe I misunderstood you be here it goes.
    > Please note hda is for most purposes equivalent to sda.
    > Personally I alway like to see the partitoning as a separate job and use
    > the GParted Live CD for it.
    >
    > I happily believe the partitioner sees only the hda disk in your laptop.
    > Would there be a second disk it'll most likely be called hdb.
    >
    > The partitions should show up as hda1 (likely C: in Windows) hda2 etc.
    >
    > The GParted Live CD is generally considered fairly bullet proof and I'd
    > usually say it's analysis of your hardware will be correct...


    To clarify myself.
    I would like to install Ubuntu on one of the existing partitions on my
    laptop. Since the partition program used by the installer does not see any
    of them (only one, /dev/sda) I don't understand how to do this.
    And as I said, gparted (under Ubuntu) also say there is only one.

    Thanks

  4. Re: Partitioning - install problem

    Iordani schreef:

    > To clarify myself.
    > I would like to install Ubuntu on one of the existing partitions on my
    > laptop. Since the partition program used by the installer does not see any
    > of them (only one, /dev/sda) I don't understand how to do this.
    > And as I said, gparted (under Ubuntu) also say there is only one.
    >
    > Thanks


    Two more tips that might miss the point entirely...

    I just ran GParted on my computer and it showed as device /dev/sda
    with several partitions below, the first four are regular and the 3rd.
    of them split into extended partitions.

    When I did the same thing with QTParted (A Partition Magic clone with
    the QT GUI kit) I noticed I first had to click on the /dev/sda device
    for the partitions to show up, could this be something for you?

    Some Linux applications refuse to access devices or partitions that have
    a damaged file system, running a disk check on your partitions (from
    Windows) would never hurt.


  5. Re: Partitioning - install problem

    Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:

    > Iordani schreef:
    >
    >> To clarify myself.
    >> I would like to install Ubuntu on one of the existing partitions on my
    >> laptop. Since the partition program used by the installer does not see
    >> any
    >> of them (only one, /dev/sda) I don't understand how to do this.
    >> And as I said, gparted (under Ubuntu) also say there is only one.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    >
    > Two more tips that might miss the point entirely...
    >
    > I just ran GParted on my computer and it showed as device /dev/sda
    > with several partitions below, the first four are regular and the 3rd.
    > of them split into extended partitions.
    >
    > When I did the same thing with QTParted (A Partition Magic clone with
    > the QT GUI kit) I noticed I first had to click on the /dev/sda device
    > for the partitions to show up, could this be something for you?
    >
    > Some Linux applications refuse to access devices or partitions that have
    > a damaged file system, running a disk check on your partitions (from
    > Windows) would never hurt.


    I downloaded gparted and made a bootable CD.
    It shows same thing, that is, whole hard disk is just on big unallocated
    area (/dev/hda).

    When I use Mandriva's partitioning program there is no problem, it shows
    all the partitions.



  6. Re: Partitioning - install problem

    Iordani schreef:

    >
    > I downloaded gparted and made a bootable CD.
    > It shows same thing, that is, whole hard disk is just on big unallocated
    > area (/dev/hda).
    >
    > When I use Mandriva's partitioning program there is no problem, it shows
    > all the partitions.
    >


    There are often very good answers to be found on this forum but in this
    particular case you might want to go to the Ubuntu Forums:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=333

    Or the GParted Forum:
    http://gparted-forum.surf4.info/

    Would you find a solution elsewhere please share it with us 'cause you
    found an odd one!

  7. Re: Partitioning - install problem

    Iordani schreef:
    > Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    >
    >>


    >>
    >> Some Linux applications refuse to access devices or partitions that have
    >> a damaged file system, running a disk check on your partitions (from
    >> Windows) would never hurt.

    >

    This is something you might want to look at:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...21#post2486121

    Where I got via:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-243536.html

    > I downloaded gparted and made a bootable CD.
    > It shows same thing, that is, whole hard disk is just on big unallocated
    > area (/dev/hda).
    >
    > When I use Mandriva's partitioning program there is no problem, it shows
    > all the partitions.
    >
    >


  8. Re: Partitioning - install problem

    Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:

    > Iordani schreef:
    >> Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    >>
    >>>

    >
    >>>
    >>> Some Linux applications refuse to access devices or partitions that have
    >>> a damaged file system, running a disk check on your partitions (from
    >>> Windows) would never hurt.

    >>

    > This is something you might want to look at:
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...21#post2486121
    >
    > Where I got via:
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-243536.html



    I tried 'testdisk'. Works OK but made no change to the problem.
    Thanks anyway


  9. Re: Partitioning - install problem

    Iordani wrote:

    > I am trying to install Ubuntu (ubuntu-8.04.1-desktop-i386) on my laptop.
    > My laptop is dual boot with Windows XP (on a FAT32 partiton), some other
    > FAT32 partitions and various partitions containing Linux (Mandriva). I
    > have never had problems installing those.
    >
    > The problem is, the Ubuntu installer only sees the the hard disk as one
    > partition (sda) and when I choose 'manual' partitioning I only get
    > /dev/sda
    > to choose from. Going one step further, the installer tells me I'm about
    > to format the entire drive so here I quit the install process...
    >
    > When I do, I still can use Ubuntu/System/Partition Editor (gparted) and
    > this also shows the hd as just one whole partition.
    >
    > I have also tried it on my desktop. Here the installer sees the various
    > partitions but choosing 'manual partitioning' stops the install process
    > forever (?) trying to read the disk. (I did this just to try. I would
    > like to try Ubuntu out on my laptop, not desktop)
    >
    > I did try Ubuntu 7.? on same laptop some years ago with same result.
    >
    > Any ideas how to solve this?
    > Does the Ubuntu installer have problems with the 'manual' part?
    >
    > Thanks


    How do you know you even have more than 1 partition? More than likely, if
    windows was installed originally it had just the one partition (ie. it
    partitioned the whole disk into 1 large partition) with possibly a real
    small mfg/recovery 2nd partition.



  10. Re: Partitioning - install problem

    Eric wrote:

    > Iordani wrote:
    >
    >> I am trying to install Ubuntu (ubuntu-8.04.1-desktop-i386) on my laptop.
    >> My laptop is dual boot with Windows XP (on a FAT32 partiton), some other
    >> FAT32 partitions and various partitions containing Linux (Mandriva). I
    >> have never had problems installing those.
    >>


    >
    > How do you know you even have more than 1 partition? More than likely, if
    > windows was installed originally it had just the one partition (ie. it
    > partitioned the whole disk into 1 large partition) with possibly a real
    > small mfg/recovery 2nd partition.


    I can see all of them so I assume they are there.

  11. Re: Partitioning - install problem

    Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:

    > Some Linux applications refuse to access devices or partitions that have
    > a damaged file system, running a disk check on your partitions (from
    > Windows) would never hurt.
    >


    I had something like this when I installed ubuntu onto a laptop that I'd
    already partitioned the drive on (using Windows tools). Gparted didn't
    see the partitions but it turns out there was was some issue with the
    special recovery partition that was present on the machine that needed
    resolving. Although I can't recall exactly what I did to fix it :-\

    --
    [ste]

  12. Re: Partitioning - install problem

    [ste parker] wrote:

    > Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    >
    >> Some Linux applications refuse to access devices or partitions that have
    >> a damaged file system, running a disk check on your partitions (from
    >> Windows) would never hurt.
    >>

    >
    > I had something like this when I installed ubuntu onto a laptop that I'd
    > already partitioned the drive on (using Windows tools). Gparted didn't
    > see the partitions but it turns out there was was some issue with the
    > special recovery partition that was present on the machine that needed
    > resolving. Although I can't recall exactly what I did to fix it :-\
    >

    Thanks so much. I've been thinking along those lines since my laptop also
    has this 'recovery' partition feature / bug. I've been googling for this
    but no luck so far.

  13. Re: Partitioning - install problem

    Iordani wrote:
    > [ste parker] wrote:
    >
    >> Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    >>
    >>> Some Linux applications refuse to access devices or partitions that have
    >>> a damaged file system, running a disk check on your partitions (from
    >>> Windows) would never hurt.
    >>>

    >> I had something like this when I installed ubuntu onto a laptop that I'd
    >> already partitioned the drive on (using Windows tools). Gparted didn't
    >> see the partitions but it turns out there was was some issue with the
    >> special recovery partition that was present on the machine that needed
    >> resolving. Although I can't recall exactly what I did to fix it :-\
    >>

    > Thanks so much. I've been thinking along those lines since my laptop also
    > has this 'recovery' partition feature / bug. I've been googling for this
    > but no luck so far.


    This may not help overly much, but all I recall is that running a
    Windows partitioning tool (I /think/ it was Partition Magic, if not
    it'll have been Acronis) automatically detected that /something/ wasn't
    right with the recovery partition and offered to fix it. Once I let
    this happen I was able to use gparted how I wanted to install ubuntu -
    it could see all the partitions. There's a version of PM available on
    Hiren's Boot CD if you don't have a copy and don't mind using something
    of questionable legality (that's quite a generous description!).

    --
    [ste]

  14. Re: Partitioning - install problem - my solution

    [ste parker] wrote:

    >> Thanks so much. I've been thinking along those lines since my laptop
    >> also
    >> has this 'recovery' partition feature / bug. I've been googling for this
    >> but no luck so far.

    >
    > This may not help overly much, but all I recall is that running a
    > Windows partitioning tool (I /think/ it was Partition Magic, if not
    > it'll have been Acronis) automatically detected that /something/ wasn't
    > right with the recovery partition and offered to fix it. Once I let
    > this happen I was able to use gparted how I wanted to install ubuntu -
    > it could see all the partitions. There's a version of PM available on
    > Hiren's Boot CD if you don't have a copy and don't mind using something
    > of questionable legality (that's quite a generous description!).


    I deleted the 'recovery' partition and this caused windows to refuse to boot
    due to some missing dll-file. Why am I not surprised.

    I then reinstalled windows and I had forgotten what a drag that is! Reboot,
    reboot and reboot. And it's unpolite too. "I will install in the first
    partition and destroy all data". Doesn't even ask how much of the
    available space it can use. How very rude. Microsoftish. Or ballmerish
    maybe.

    It didn't fix the problem so I decided to do what should have been done long
    time ago, that is, I wiped my windows out of it's miserable existence.
    All Linux from now on.

    Needless to say I then had no problem installing Ubuntu and I'm very
    impressed so far. A bit concerned though about no root password required,
    no firewall configuration and such, but I'll check that out.

    I had a dual boot system with XP and Mandriva, so Mandriva wrote the
    partition table that gparted could not handle. I'm guessing this may have
    something to do with the problem but I'll never know. And it's history
    now.

    Thanks to all who responded.

  15. Re: Partitioning - install problem - my solution

    Iordani schreef:

    > I then reinstalled windows and I had forgotten what a drag that is! Reboot,
    > reboot and reboot. And it's unpolite too. "I will install in the first
    > partition and destroy all data". Doesn't even ask how much of the
    > available space it can use. How very rude. Microsoftish. Or ballmerish
    > maybe.
    >
    > It didn't fix the problem so I decided to do what should have been done long
    > time ago, that is, I wiped my windows out of it's miserable existence.
    > All Linux from now on.
    >
    > Needless to say I then had no problem installing Ubuntu and I'm very
    > impressed so far. A bit concerned though about no root password required,
    > no firewall configuration and such, but I'll check that out.
    >
    > I had a dual boot system with XP and Mandriva, so Mandriva wrote the
    > partition table that gparted could not handle. I'm guessing this may have
    > something to do with the problem but I'll never know. And it's history
    > now.
    >
    > Thanks to all who responded.


    You are a brave man and have a great future ahead of you.

    OK, back to earth;

    The (apparent!) lack of a root account in Ubuntu is a safety feature
    that can be overcome when you insist.
    Personally I see it as a great idea as the offered alternative via the
    sudo command is for the casual user indeed safer, it's only valid for
    one command at a time while the rest of the OS stays in it's regular
    (user) mode.

    Because the standard Ubuntu install has no services listening to the
    outside world a firewall is somewhat pointless.

    Yet a thing called IPtables is part of the install and via either the
    command line or an extra GUI it can be configured to act as probably the
    best firewall you can hope for.

    Because I use the KDE desktop I like Guarddog.

  16. Re: Partitioning - install problem - my solution

    "Dirk T. Verbeek" wrote in
    news:48fe1ebd$0$198$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl:

    > Because the standard Ubuntu install has no services listening to the
    > outside world a firewall is somewhat pointless.


    FWIW.....ufw (Uncomplicated FireWall) is installed during main OS
    installation though.

    >
    > Yet a thing called IPtables is part of the install and via either the
    > command line or an extra GUI it can be configured to act as probably
    > the best firewall you can hope for.



    >
    > Because I use the KDE desktop I like Guarddog.


    Hmmmm....will have to check this rascal out. Thanks for the tip. :-)




  17. Re: Partitioning - install problem

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 09:40:30 +0200, Iordani
    wrote:

    >Eric wrote:
    >
    >> Iordani wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am trying to install Ubuntu (ubuntu-8.04.1-desktop-i386) on my laptop.
    >>> My laptop is dual boot with Windows XP (on a FAT32 partiton), some other
    >>> FAT32 partitions and various partitions containing Linux (Mandriva). I
    >>> have never had problems installing those.
    >>>

    >
    >>
    >> How do you know you even have more than 1 partition? More than likely, if
    >> windows was installed originally it had just the one partition (ie. it
    >> partitioned the whole disk into 1 large partition) with possibly a real
    >> small mfg/recovery 2nd partition.

    >
    >I can see all of them so I assume they are there.


    That *may* be a bad assumption... I haven't used FAT32 for a long
    time, but it may be that what you are seeing are extended partitions
    that are fakes created by the OS and only show up if the OS is geared
    for it. I don't think that Ubuntu creates these fake partitions and
    consequently won't see them. If this is the case I'm surprised that
    Mandriva sees them, but I don't know Mandriva.



    ---
    "When the president does it that means that it is not illegal."
    -- Richard Nixon

+ Reply to Thread