Kubuntu v8.10 beta and resolution - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Kubuntu v8.10 beta and resolution - Ubuntu ; Trying Kubuntu v8.10 out in Virtualbox 2.0.2 (Vista).....have only 800x600 resolution in Kubuntu VM. Acer Aspire 7720 with Intel 965 Express Chipset Have run dual boot Ubuntu v8.04 /Vista on this laptop with higher resolutions than 800x600. Looks like they ...

  1. Kubuntu v8.10 beta and resolution

    Trying Kubuntu v8.10 out in Virtualbox 2.0.2 (Vista).....have only 800x600
    resolution in Kubuntu VM.

    Acer Aspire 7720 with Intel 965 Express Chipset

    Have run dual boot Ubuntu v8.04 /Vista on this laptop with higher
    resolutions than 800x600.

    Looks like they took out the "Monitor and Display - System Settings"
    program (Kunbutu v8.04) in v8.10 beta.....doesn't seem to be any separate
    options for choosing a video card and/or monitor.

    Did a repo search for "displayconfig-gtk".....doesn't show up in the
    listings; AFAIK, I have all relevent repo's toggled on.

    Any alternative (pref GUI) before I try editing xorg.conf?

    Any thoughts would be appreciated. :-)

  2. Re: Kubuntu v8.10 beta and resolution

    propman illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Trying Kubuntu v8.10 out in Virtualbox 2.0.2 (Vista).....have only 800x600
    > resolution in Kubuntu VM.
    >

    > Acer Aspire 7720 with Intel 965 Express Chipset
    >
    > Have run dual boot Ubuntu v8.04 /Vista on this laptop with higher
    > resolutions than 800x600.
    >

    > Looks like they took out the "Monitor and Display - System Settings"
    > program (Kunbutu v8.04) in v8.10 beta.....doesn't seem to be any separate
    > options for choosing a video card and/or monitor.
    >
    > Did a repo search for "displayconfig-gtk".....doesn't show up in the
    > listings; AFAIK, I have all relevent repo's toggled on.
    >
    > Any alternative (pref GUI) before I try editing xorg.conf?
    >
    > Any thoughts would be appreciated. :-)

    System -> Preferences -> Screen Resolution no good?

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

  3. Re: Kubuntu v8.10 beta and resolution

    Moog wrote in

    > propman illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Trying Kubuntu v8.10 out in Virtualbox 2.0.2 (Vista).....have only
    >> 800x600 resolution in Kubuntu VM.
    >>

    >> Acer Aspire 7720 with Intel 965 Express Chipset
    >>
    >> Have run dual boot Ubuntu v8.04 /Vista on this laptop with higher
    >> resolutions than 800x600.
    >>

    >> Looks like they took out the "Monitor and Display - System Settings"
    >> program (Kunbutu v8.04) in v8.10 beta.....doesn't seem to be any
    >> separate options for choosing a video card and/or monitor.
    >>
    >> Did a repo search for "displayconfig-gtk".....doesn't show up in the
    >> listings; AFAIK, I have all relevent repo's toggled on.
    >>
    >> Any alternative (pref GUI) before I try editing xorg.conf?
    >>
    >> Any thoughts would be appreciated. :-)

    > System -> Preferences -> Screen Resolution no good?

    Kubuntu....different set of menu's. It has "Screen Resize and Rotate"
    which looks like to me the same program as Ubuntu v8.04 "Screen
    Resolution". In either program, unless the higher resolutions and
    variable refresh rates are listed, there is no way to change the
    settings. Damn stupid, if you ask me. Kubuntu v8.04 does have options
    to select monitor/manufacturer/model etc as mentioned above; to get the
    same thing in Ubuntu v8.04, displayconfig-gtk has to be run from
    terminal as there is no provision made to add it to the menus during a
    LiveCD install.

    After installing Ubuntu v8.04 on a couple of systems where the
    card/monitor weren't detected correctly where I've had to dick around
    with xorg.conf, it only just in the last few days, came to my attention
    due to a comment in this newsgroup that displayconfig-gtk is installed
    during the LiveCD install!! So all that wasted time dicking around with
    xorg.conf, refresh rates etc and it would have taken 2 minutes if the
    program had been included on one of the menus! Again, very damn stupid
    ommission, IMHO.

    .......and now, unless I am missing something really obvious, it would
    appear that Kubuntu v8.10 is going to be doing the same thing but with
    no replacement (that I have been able to source of yet anyways). I'm
    starting to think that maybe I will try using Synaptic to pull the
    Kbuntu v8.04 program and then try installing it in Kubuntu v8.10.

    Anyways, that's a job for tomorrow............ :-)

+ Reply to Thread