Multiple network connections help. - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Multiple network connections help. - Ubuntu ; Ok, so this is really annoying me. Guy I work with is running Ubuntu 8.04 same as me. He has a wired connection and a wireless connection both going at the same time. When I plug in my wired connection, ...

  1. Multiple network connections help.

    Ok, so this is really annoying me. Guy I work with is running Ubuntu
    8.04 same as me. He has a wired connection and a wireless connection
    both going at the same time. When I plug in my wired connection, my
    system effectively shuts off the wireless and goes just wired. If I
    select the wireless connection it shuts off the wired connection. What
    do I need to do to have both wired and wireless working at the same
    time? HELP.

    Thanks.
    Lee

  2. Re: Multiple network connections help.

    On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 17:11:17 GMT
    "Lee A. Wentzel" wrote:

    > Ok, so this is really annoying me. Guy I work with is running Ubuntu
    > 8.04 same as me. He has a wired connection and a wireless connection
    > both going at the same time. When I plug in my wired connection, my
    > system effectively shuts off the wireless and goes just wired. If I
    > select the wireless connection it shuts off the wired connection.
    > What do I need to do to have both wired and wireless working at the
    > same time? HELP.

    I don't have an answer for you, but I do have a question.

    Why would you want to do it that way? Are the wired and wireless two
    different networks that you want to be a part of at the same time?

    --- Mike

    --
    My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.

  3. Re: Multiple network connections help.

    On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 13:13:34 -0400, Michael B. Trausch wrote:

    > Why would you want to do it that way? Are the wired and wireless two
    > different networks that you want to be a part of at the same time?
    >
    > --- Mike

    Our wireless connection does not have Surf Control on it. So normally I
    use it. This allows me unrestricted access to the internet but not
    access to our internet network. Our wired connection has all sorts of
    restrictions on the internet, but has access to work related stuff. So,
    normally I will surf and such just using wireless. However, I would like
    to transfer a file to my Linux laptop from my desktop. This needs the
    wired connection.

    Clear as mud. With that said, my friend has 5 active connections going
    to taunt me. Four wireless and one wired. Connecting to multiple
    networks.

    Thanks.

  4. Re: Multiple network connections help.

    The friends wireless connections are one internal card, two PCMCIA cards
    and one USB device. Hooking up any of those items to my laptop
    gives me one or the other. Not multiple ones at once.

    Lee

  5. Re: Multiple network connections help.

    Lee A. Wentzel illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Ok, so this is really annoying me. Guy I work with is running Ubuntu
    > 8.04 same as me. He has a wired connection and a wireless connection
    > both going at the same time. When I plug in my wired connection, my
    > system effectively shuts off the wireless and goes just wired. If I
    > select the wireless connection it shuts off the wired connection. What
    > do I need to do to have both wired and wireless working at the same
    > time? HELP.

    You need to be on two different network IP ranges. And you need to
    manually configure atleast one of them with a static IP.

    It sounds like your work network is running the same IP range both
    wired and wireless.

    We'll need more info regarding the IP ranges it uses and where the
    gateways are to help any.

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

  6. Re: Multiple network connections help.

    On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 18:22:29 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > You need to be on two different network IP ranges. And you need to
    > manually configure atleast one of them with a static IP.
    >
    > It sounds like your work network is running the same IP range both wired
    > and wireless.
    >
    > We'll need more info regarding the IP ranges it uses and where the
    > gateways are to help any.

    The wireless IP address is 10.10.0.xxx and the wired is 192.168.20.xxx.
    My friend did not install anything special. Fresh load and plug in
    multiple adapters and it worked.

    He had 4 wireless adapters all connected at once. When he did "ip addr"
    he had 5 unique ip addresses assigned to each device.

    Thanks.

  7. Re: Multiple network connections help.

    Solved it. Went into the Network Admin Tool. There left the Wireless
    Connection to Roaming mode enabled. Changed Wired connection to Address:
    dhcp.

    This resolved the issue. Now both wired and wireless connections are
    working at the same time. Clicking on the wired network icon, it does
    not sure you, that you have multiple connections. However, in terminal
    typing "ip addr" will give me two unique IP address.

    Thanks for the suggestions.

  8. Re: Multiple network connections help.

    Lee A. Wentzel illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Solved it. Went into the Network Admin Tool. There left the Wireless
    > Connection to Roaming mode enabled. Changed Wired connection to Address:
    > dhcp.
    >
    > This resolved the issue. Now both wired and wireless connections are
    > working at the same time. Clicking on the wired network icon, it does
    > not sure you, that you have multiple connections. However, in terminal
    > typing "ip addr" will give me two unique IP address.
    >
    > Thanks for the suggestions.

    No problem Lee. I'm glad you got it working.

    --
    "My mother was like a sister to me, only we didn't have sex quite so
    often." ~ Emo Philips

  9. Re: Multiple network connections help.

    On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 20:08:53 +0000, Lee A. Wentzel wrote:

    > Thanks for the suggestions.

    One further suggestion. I assume that the works system is locked down so
    tightly to avoid problems with nasties getting into it (presumably has
    Win machines on it 8-)). I'd check the work's terms of computer use (I
    hope they do have them!). If something got in because of bridging the
    outside world to the intranet, it might be a good reason to justify a
    cheap redundancy or two! 8-(

    Keith

+ Reply to Thread