254 packages to be updated - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on 254 packages to be updated - Ubuntu ; suddenly ubuntu 8.04.1 says it wants to update 254 packages! isn't this more of an upgrade than update? how can I tell what adept wants to update without opening it? ta in advance Nog...

  1. 254 packages to be updated

    suddenly ubuntu 8.04.1 says it wants to update 254 packages!

    isn't this more of an upgrade than update?

    how can I tell what adept wants to update without opening it?

    ta in advance Nog

  2. Re: 254 packages to be updated

    On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 09:32:54 +0000, nog wrote:

    > suddenly ubuntu 8.04.1 says it wants to update 254 packages!
    >
    > isn't this more of an upgrade than update?
    >
    > how can I tell what adept wants to update without opening it?
    >
    > ta in advance Nog

    Something's wrong[tm]. I had 4 this morning.

  3. Re: 254 packages to be updated

    nog wrote:
    > suddenly ubuntu 8.04.1 says it wants to update 254 packages!
    >
    > isn't this more of an upgrade than update?
    >
    > how can I tell what adept wants to update without opening it?
    >
    > ta in advance Nog

    When did you run `apt-get upgrade` lately? Any changes to your system's
    package management system?

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.1) Linux 2.6.26.6

  4. Re: 254 packages to be updated

    Phil Stovell wrote:
    > On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 09:32:54 +0000, nog wrote:
    >
    >> suddenly ubuntu 8.04.1 says it wants to update 254 packages!
    >>
    >> isn't this more of an upgrade than update?
    >>
    >> how can I tell what adept wants to update without opening it?
    >>
    >> ta in advance Nog

    > Something's wrong[tm]. I had 4 this morning.

    I got 7 .... I had run `apt-get upgrade` yesterday.

    root@server:/home# apt-get upgrade
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    linux-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image-generic
    linux-restricted-modules-generic
    cupsys cupsys-bsd cupsys-client cupsys-common libcupsimage2 libcupsys2
    libcupsys2-dev
    7 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded.
    Need to get 3696kB of archives.
    After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.1) Linux 2.6.26.6
    ^ ^ 18:15:01 up 5:21 3 users load average: 6.12 5.57 4.12
    不*伅U! 不詐騙! 不援交! 不打交! 不打劫! 不自殺! 請考慮綜援 (CSSA):

  5. Re: 254 packages to be updated

    nog wrote:
    > suddenly ubuntu 8.04.1 says it wants to update 254 packages!
    >
    > isn't this more of an upgrade than update?
    >
    > how can I tell what adept wants to update without opening it?
    >
    > ta in advance Nog

    Why not open it and look at the list? You can always exit without
    upgrading.

  6. Re: 254 packages to be updated

    In gregg:

    [Snip..]

    > You can always exit without upgrading

    FWIW, I did that yesterday morning, when I didn't have time to wait on it.

    In my case, it was about 90MB of what seemed mostly noncritical kde-related
    stuff. That could wait, so I tried again later without obvious problems.

    JMO; YMMV...

    I toss GoogleGroup posts from gitgo (http://improve-usenet.org).

  7. Re: 254 packages to be updated

    > In my case, it was about 90MB of what seemed mostly noncritical kde-related
    > stuff. That could wait, so I tried again later without obvious problems.

    If you know how to use GNU Screen, you could run `apt-get update` and
    press Y in a Screen session. You could then detach the session, logout
    and go to bed. apt-get will continue to work in the background.

    When you wake up in the next morning, re-attach to the session and you
    could see the result of apt-get. Then you could close the session.

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.1) Linux 2.6.26.6
    ^ ^ 19:02:01 up 6:08 3 users load average: 2.41 2.79 4.08
    不*伅U! 不詐騙! 不援交! 不打交! 不打劫! 不自殺! 請考慮綜援 (CSSA):

  8. Re: 254 packages to be updated

    nog schreef:
    > suddenly ubuntu 8.04.1 says it wants to update 254 packages!
    >
    > isn't this more of an upgrade than update?
    >
    > how can I tell what adept wants to update without opening it?
    >
    > ta in advance Nog

    For my Kubuntu install it was this morning 108 Mb.
    I had a quick scan over the list in Adept and then hit Update, they were
    especially kde4 updates.
    A couple of minutes later everything was done and the computer still
    worked in KDE3.5.
    Later in the day I started up in my KDE4 account and found it to work
    smoother than before.

  9. Re: 254 packages to be updated

    thanks for replying everyone!
    i don't use 'apt-get upgrade'. i use use 'apt-get update' to update
    what I have. I wait til the next release, and install that, then update
    til the next one etc.

    ta

    On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 18:15:17 +0800, Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:

    > nog wrote:
    >> suddenly ubuntu 8.04.1 says it wants to update 254 packages!
    >>
    >> isn't this more of an upgrade than update?
    >>
    >> how can I tell what adept wants to update without opening it?
    >>
    >> ta in advance Nog

    > When did you run `apt-get upgrade` lately? Any changes to your system's
    > package management system?

  10. Re: 254 packages to be updated

    nog schreef:
    > thanks for replying everyone!
    > i don't use 'apt-get upgrade'. i use use 'apt-get update' to update
    > what I have. I wait til the next release, and install that, then update
    > til the next one etc.
    >
    > ta

    Except top posting I see a potential other problem,
    You seem to think apt-get update will install anything on your computer?

    Apt-get update will only synchronise the local index of applications,
    installing the updates needs the apt-get upgrade command.

    It is the apt-get dist-upgrade that will upgrade from say 8.04 to 8.10,
    please see '$ man apt-get' for a complete explanation.

    > On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 18:15:17 +0800, Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:
    >
    >> nog wrote:
    >>> suddenly ubuntu 8.04.1 says it wants to update 254 packages!
    >>>
    >>> isn't this more of an upgrade than update?
    >>>
    >>> how can I tell what adept wants to update without opening it?
    >>>
    >>> ta in advance Nog

    >> When did you run `apt-get upgrade` lately? Any changes to your system's
    >> package management system?

  11. Re: 254 packages to be updated

    > If you know how to use GNU Screen, you could run `apt-get update` and

    damit... `apt-get upgrade`.... sorry.

    > press Y in a Screen session. You could then detach the session, logout
    > and go to bed. apt-get will continue to work in the background.
    >
    > When you wake up in the next morning, re-attach to the session and you
    > could see the result of apt-get. Then you could close the session.

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.1) Linux 2.6.26.6
    ^ ^ 20:32:01 up 3 days 7:38 4 users load average: 1.01 1.01 1.00
    不*伅U! 不詐騙! 不援交! 不打交! 不打劫! 不自殺! 請考慮綜援 (CSSA):

  12. Re: 254 packages to be updated

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 15:14:57 +0200, Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:

    > nog schreef:
    >> thanks for replying everyone!
    >> i don't use 'apt-get upgrade'. i use use 'apt-get update' to
    >> update
    >> what I have. I wait til the next release, and install that, then update
    >> til the next one etc.
    >>
    >> ta

    > Except top posting I see a potential other problem, You seem to think
    > apt-get update will install anything on your computer?
    >
    > Apt-get update will only synchronise the local index of applications,
    > installing the updates needs the apt-get upgrade command.
    >
    > It is the apt-get dist-upgrade that will upgrade from say 8.04 to 8.10,
    > please see '$ man apt-get' for a complete explanation.

    >>> When did you run `apt-get upgrade` lately? Any changes to your
    >>> system's package management system?

    yes, apologies for top-posting!
    and yes, I did 'swap' update for upgrade - apologies again!!

  13. Re: 254 packages to be updated

    Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    > nog schreef:
    >> thanks for replying everyone! i don't use 'apt-get upgrade'. i
    >> use use 'apt-get update' to update what I have. I wait til the
    >> next release, and install that, then update til the next one etc.
    >>

    >> ta

    > Except top posting I see a potential other problem, You seem to
    > think apt-get update will install anything on your computer?
    >
    > Apt-get update will only synchronise the local index of
    > applications, installing the updates needs the apt-get upgrade
    > command.
    >
    > It is the apt-get dist-upgrade that will upgrade from say 8.04 to
    > 8.10, please see '$ man apt-get' for a complete explanation.

    Use of the 'update manager' in the system>administration menu is an
    easy gui item that I usually use.

    As it happens I also have been confused until recently about updates
    vs upgrades, particularly because I began using the apt-get cl
    commands on more occasions.
    --
    ac

  14. Re: 254 packages to be updated

    >> Except top posting I see a potential other problem, You seem to
    >> think apt-get update will install anything on your computer?
    >>
    >> Apt-get update will only synchronise the local index of
    >> applications, installing the updates needs the apt-get upgrade
    >> command.
    >>
    >> It is the apt-get dist-upgrade that will upgrade from say 8.04 to
    >> 8.10, please see '$ man apt-get' for a complete explanation.

    > Use of the 'update manager' in the system>administration menu is an
    > easy gui item that I usually use.
    >
    > As it happens I also have been confused until recently about updates
    > vs upgrades, particularly because I began using the apt-get cl
    > commands on more occasions.

    Don't forget about the ncurse-based aptitude.

  15. Re: 254 packages to be updated

    Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > Don't forget about the ncurse-based aptitude.

    Actually, it is probably better to forget about aptitude. Apt-get now
    contains most of the functions of aptitude.

    It's only really any use if you want a graphical tool from a shell.

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

  16. Re: 254 packages to be updated

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Moog belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >

    >> Don't forget about the ncurse-based aptitude.

    > Actually, it is probably better to forget about aptitude. Apt-get now
    > contains most of the functions of aptitude.
    >
    > It's only really any use if you want a graphical tool from a shell.

    Not from what I've read.

    http://pthree.org/2007/08/12/aptitude-vs-apt-get/

    Aptitude is the superior way to install, remove, upgrade, and
    otherwise administer packages on you system with apt. For one, since
    it's inception, aptitude has been solving orphaned dependencies.
    Second, it has a curses interface that blows the doors off of
    dselect. Finally, and most importantly, it takes advantage of one
    tool, doing many many functions. Let's take a look...

    --
    If they were so inclined, they could impeach him because they don't like
    his necktie.

  17. Re: 254 packages to be updated

    Chris Ahlstrom illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Moog belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>

    >>> Don't forget about the ncurse-based aptitude.

    >> Actually, it is probably better to forget about aptitude. Apt-get now
    >> contains most of the functions of aptitude.
    >>
    >> It's only really any use if you want a graphical tool from a shell.

    > Not from what I've read.
    >
    > http://pthree.org/2007/08/12/aptitude-vs-apt-get/
    >
    > Aptitude is the superior way to install, remove, upgrade, and
    > otherwise administer packages on you system with apt. For one, since
    > it's inception, aptitude has been solving orphaned dependencies.
    > Second, it has a curses interface that blows the doors off of
    > dselect. Finally, and most importantly, it takes advantage of one
    > tool, doing many many functions. Let's take a look...

    Check the date of the article you refer to. Apt-get has come on leaps
    and bounds in 14 months.

    Don't believe me?

    Try out apt-get autoremove && apt-get autoclean.

    There is no significant reason to use aptitude anymore.

    --
    "I ran three miles today. Finally I said, "Lady take your purse." ~ Emo
    Philips

+ Reply to Thread