Flash 10 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Flash 10 - Ubuntu ; After takin' a swig o' grog, Michael B. Trausch belched out this bit o' wisdom: > Right, but the point is that if you don't trust the site (for Flash or > any other reason) then simply don't visit it. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 31 of 31

  1. Re: Flash 10

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Michael B. Trausch belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > Right, but the point is that if you don't trust the site (for Flash or
    > any other reason) then simply don't visit it. I pretty much stick to
    > sites that I know when I am browsing the Web. I don't, for example,
    > visit sites that are heavy on the Java usage, as an example; I don't
    > trust such sites, particularly when they use Java for things that
    > JavaScript could *easily* be used for (such as displaying the current
    > date and time---talk about unnecessary bloat). If the site can't be
    > trusted to do things efficiently and consider my needs when it comes to
    > invoking (or not) a heavyweight virtual machine, why would I trust them
    > when it comes to tracking (or not tracking) what I do?

    Yeah, but you do visit the site at least once, unless it is obviously
    suspicious.

    Anyway, there's a lot of crap sites out there. Hard to avoid getting
    some doo on your shoe.

    --
    ....Deep Hack Mode -- that mysterious and frightening state of
    consciousness where Mortal Users fear to tread.

  2. Re: Flash 10

    Thanks for the interesting replies. I've blocked all Flash cookies now :-).

    Flash 9 isn't broken, so I think I'll only upgrade when I need to.

  3. Re: Flash 10

    "Phil Stovell" wrote:
    > Flash 9 isn't broken, so I think I'll only upgrade when I need to.

    Flash 9 may not be broken for you, but for those with PII CPUs,
    Flash v.9.0.115 and v.9.0.124 were disasters:
    http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforu...5138&loc=en_us

    *TimDaniels*

  4. Re: Flash 10

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 11:08:08 -0700, Timothy Daniels wrote:

    > "Phil Stovell" wrote:
    >> Flash 9 isn't broken, so I think I'll only upgrade when I need to.

    > Flash 9 may not be broken for you, but for those with PII CPUs,
    > Flash v.9.0.115 and v.9.0.124 were disasters:
    > http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforu...5138&loc=en_us
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    Glad I no longer own a working PII.

  5. Re: Flash 10

    Phil Stovell wrote:
    > On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 11:08:08 -0700, Timothy Daniels wrote:
    >
    >> "Phil Stovell" wrote:
    >>> Flash 9 isn't broken, so I think I'll only upgrade when I need to.

    >> Flash 9 may not be broken for you, but for those with PII CPUs,
    >> Flash v.9.0.115 and v.9.0.124 were disasters:
    >> http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforu...5138&loc=en_us
    >>
    >> *TimDaniels*

    > Glad I no longer own a working PII.

    Flash is a sore point with the trade magazines. They have a grudge in
    that in windows at least it exposes all kinds of things that flash can
    do that you may not want.
    I don't even want it since I mainly get those damned animated ads on the
    sidebar or top.
    If it sucks down the computer to make a PII look bad then it is probably
    taking too much even from a new CPU.
    I haven't seen anything on Flash that I would miss terribly if I didn't
    see it.
    Bill Baka

  6. Re: Flash 10

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 12:04:26 -0700, Bill Baka wrote:

    > Phil Stovell wrote:

    >>> Flash 9 may not be broken for you, but for those with PII CPUs,
    >>> Flash v.9.0.115 and v.9.0.124 were disasters:
    >>> http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforu...5138&loc=en_us
    >>>
    >>> *TimDaniels*

    >> Glad I no longer own a working PII.
    >>

    > Flash is a sore point with the trade magazines. They have a grudge in that
    > in windows at least it exposes all kinds of things that flash can do that
    > you may not want.
    > I don't even want it since I mainly get those damned animated ads on the
    > sidebar or top.
    > If it sucks down the computer to make a PII look bad then it is probably
    > taking too much even from a new CPU.
    > I haven't seen anything on Flash that I would miss terribly if I didn't
    > see it.
    > Bill Baka

    Flashblock works well.

  7. Re: Flash 10

    Phil Stovell wrote:
    > On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 12:04:26 -0700, Bill Baka wrote:
    >
    >> Flash is a sore point with the trade magazines. They have a grudge in that
    >> in windows at least it exposes all kinds of things that flash can do that
    >> you may not want.
    >> I don't even want it since I mainly get those damned animated ads on the
    >> sidebar or top.
    >> If it sucks down the computer to make a PII look bad then it is probably
    >> taking too much even from a new CPU.
    >> I haven't seen anything on Flash that I would miss terribly if I didn't
    >> see it.
    >> Bill Baka

    > Flashblock works well.

    I have it on my FF 3.0. The one site that I get my news from is the BBC
    news bar on FF, and many of those articles have flash animations that I
    can't play, but no big loss.
    Sound bytes I can get on Television.
    Bill Baka

  8. Re: Flash 10

    "Bill Baka" wrote:
    > Phil Stovell wrote:
    >> Timothy Daniels wrote:

    >>> Flash 9 may not be broken for you, but for those with PII CPUs,
    >>> Flash v.9.0.115 and v.9.0.124 were disasters:
    >>> http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforu...5138&loc=en_us
    >>>
    >>> *TimDaniels*

    >> Glad I no longer own a working PII.
    >>

    > Flash is a sore point with the trade magazines. They have a grudge in
    > that in windows at least it exposes all kinds of things that flash can
    > do that you may not want.
    > I don't even want it since I mainly get those damned animated ads on the
    > sidebar or top.
    > If it sucks down the computer to make a PII look bad then it is probably
    > taking too much even from a new CPU.
    > I haven't seen anything on Flash that I would miss terribly if I didn't
    > see it.
    > Bill Baka

    Flash 9's effect on PII machines was to make the browsers crash
    when they started displaying Flash content. (Click on the Adobe forums
    link above.) It went on for more than 6 months before there was any
    acknowledgement in the forums that Flash might be at fault. Flash 10
    corrected the problem, though.

    *TimDaniels*

  9. Re: Flash 10

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 12:04:26 -0700, Bill Baka wrote:

    > Phil Stovell wrote:

    >>> Flash 9 may not be broken for you, but for those with PII CPUs,
    >>> Flash v.9.0.115 and v.9.0.124 were disasters:
    >>> http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforu...5138&loc=en_us
    >>>
    >>> *TimDaniels*

    >> Glad I no longer own a working PII.
    >>

    > Flash is a sore point with the trade magazines. They have a grudge in that
    > in windows at least it exposes all kinds of things that flash can do that
    > you may not want.
    > I don't even want it since I mainly get those damned animated ads on the
    > sidebar or top.
    > If it sucks down the computer to make a PII look bad then it is probably
    > taking too much even from a new CPU.
    > I haven't seen anything on Flash that I would miss terribly if I didn't
    > see it.
    > Bill Baka

    It seems you don't have flashblock installed. It's a must, along with
    adblock.

  10. Re: Flash 10

    Phil Stovell wrote:
    > On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 12:04:26 -0700, Bill Baka wrote:
    >
    >> Flash is a sore point with the trade magazines. They have a grudge in that
    >> in windows at least it exposes all kinds of things that flash can do that
    >> you may not want.
    >> I don't even want it since I mainly get those damned animated ads on the
    >> sidebar or top.
    >> If it sucks down the computer to make a PII look bad then it is probably
    >> taking too much even from a new CPU.
    >> I haven't seen anything on Flash that I would miss terribly if I didn't
    >> see it.
    >> Bill Baka

    > It seems you don't have flashblock installed. It's a must, along with
    > adblock.

    I have it in both my FF installs, Ubuntu and XP, so watching is an
    option, but aside from some political send-ups I haven't seen much to
    impress me. Sort of like Power Point to me now, after so many meetings
    with a marketing guy impressing himself with his own slide show, I can't
    stand it anymore.
    Standards in this industry would really be appreciated, but everybody
    wants their piece of the pie, so.....
    Bill Baka
    From XP this time.

  11. Re: Flash 10

    Flash 10 is now in the repository. I un-installed flash 9 and installed
    10, first impressions are that it seems much quicker.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2