Ubuntu mounting MMC ro only - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu mounting MMC ro only - Ubuntu ; Sent already once, but it hasn't appeared after 24h... Hi all, I have a Multi Media Card reader on my Dell XPS with pre installed Ubuntu (+Gnome). And I have a MMC (SD, 4 GB) on my Treo. The card ...

  1. Ubuntu mounting MMC ro only

    Sent already once, but it hasn't appeared after 24h...

    Hi all,

    I have a Multi Media Card reader on my Dell XPS with pre installed
    Ubuntu (+Gnome). And I have a MMC (SD, 4 GB) on my Treo. The card gets
    recognized by the reader and the OS and auto mounted - but in ro mode.

    I've tried a "mount -o remount,rw /media/disk" to no avail.

    I've tried editing the fstab to tell the system to mount the disk rw
    (using the mtab settings, and again using own settings), but the system
    mounted the card on a new mount, ignoring the settings of my fstab.

    I tried setting up the policy for mmc mounts so they are mounted rw -
    not accepted. I tried using another MMC card reader thru USB - same
    issues.

    While the card is mounted, a "mount" will show the card as being rw, but
    in fact, neither thru cli nor thru Nautilus I'm able to do anything rw
    to the card.

    The card can be read and written by the Treo and by a winXP 64 system
    where I tried. All steps in Ubuntu done thru sudo, BTW.

    Does anyone have an idea how I can convince Ubuntu to mount the MMC rw?
    I'm all out of them.

    TIA
    Aleks

  2. Re: Ubuntu mounting MMC ro only

    "Aleks A.-Lessmann" wrote:

    > Sent already once, but it hasn't appeared after 24h...

    Yes it did, dated 23h 57m earlier. :-)

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  3. Re: Ubuntu mounting MMC ro only

    Aleks A.-Lessmann wrote:

    > Does anyone have an idea how I can convince Ubuntu to mount the MMC rw?
    > I'm all out of them.

    Are there any errors? I find that if linux detects errors on a mounted
    filesystem it quickly changes it to read only, presumably to reduce further
    damage. RW in fstab then had no effect. Check, if it is rw when initially
    mounted but quickly goes to ro then it is likely corrupted.

    Pete

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  4. Re: Ubuntu mounting MMC ro only

    Peter Chant wrote:
    > Aleks A.-Lessmann wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone have an idea how I can convince Ubuntu to mount the MMC rw?
    >> I'm all out of them.

    > Are there any errors? I find that if linux detects errors on a mounted
    > filesystem it quickly changes it to read only, presumably to reduce further
    > damage. RW in fstab then had no effect. Check, if it is rw when initially
    > mounted but quickly goes to ro then it is likely corrupted.
    >
    > Pete

    Ok, I'm a total newbe with Ubuntu but maybe I can help somebody else for
    a change. My experience was similar to the above.

    I had this same problem and it ultimately turned out that while in
    WindoZe I had unplugged the drive without "stopping" it in WindoZe. When
    I went back to WindoZe, inserted the drive then "stopped" it and removed
    it all was well in WindoZe and Ubuntu.

    (Now if anybody can tell me why Pan won't post I'd be happy to stop
    using Thunderbird for Usenet.)

    Drumstick

  5. Re: Ubuntu mounting MMC ro only

    Drumstick schreef:

    > (Now if anybody can tell me why Pan won't post I'd be happy to stop
    > using Thunderbird for Usenet.)

    Some will not agree with me but I see Pan as an excellent binaries
    leecher and Thunderbird as a useful text client for usenet.

    Two very different games sharing a protocol.

    > Drumstick

  6. Re: Ubuntu mounting MMC ro only

    Now that's a new way of looking at it. Thanks.

    Drumstick

    Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    > Drumstick schreef:
    >

    >> (Now if anybody can tell me why Pan won't post I'd be happy to stop
    >> using Thunderbird for Usenet.)

    > Some will not agree with me but I see Pan as an excellent binaries
    > leecher and Thunderbird as a useful text client for usenet.
    >
    > Two very different games sharing a protocol.
    >

    >> Drumstick

+ Reply to Thread