Screen Resolution with 8.40 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Screen Resolution with 8.40 - Ubuntu ; I have installed 8.04 on my HP Media machine but the only resolution I can get is either 640 or 800. I tried the repository for Nvidea but could not find anything. Ideas? Thanks Frank...

  1. Screen Resolution with 8.40

    I have installed 8.04 on my HP Media machine but the only resolution I
    can get is either 640 or 800. I tried the repository for Nvidea but
    could not find anything.

    Ideas?

    Thanks

    Frank

  2. Re: Screen Resolution with 8.40

    Rob wrote in

    > I have installed 8.04 on my HP Media machine but the only resolution I
    > can get is either 640 or 800. I tried the repository for Nvidea but
    > could not find anything.
    >
    > Ideas?

    System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager

    Search for: displayconfig-gtk

    After installing displayconfig-gtk....

    .......open terminal session and type in displayconfig-gtk. The
    configuration GUI should appear.

    Or if you want an desktop icon to launch it....right mouse click on
    desktop
    Click on "Create Launcher" and fill in applicable fields.

    Or you can right mouse click on the System menu bar to add it to the
    drop down menus.

    The resolution settings can also be changed by manually editing the
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

    Also check System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers for installing
    advanced video card driver (for 2D acceleration and 3D effects).

  3. Re: Screen Resolution with 8.40

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 15:08:57 -0700, Rob wrote:

    > I have installed 8.04 on my HP Media machine but the only resolution I
    > can get is either 640 or 800. I tried the repository for Nvidea but
    > could not find anything.
    >
    > Ideas?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Frank

    Frank
    It looks like you might not have the nvidia driver installed. I recently
    had this problem after an 8.04 update via synaptic. I was using the
    envyng nvidia driver and when the kernel was updated, I apparently had to
    have the driver recompiled, which envyng does for you. But you have to
    run it to do so. I suggest that you try the Ubuntu forums for some
    guidance on doing that.

+ Reply to Thread