Any ESX users here? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Any ESX users here? - Ubuntu ; I am looking into moving from the free version to ESX. Anyone here has some input for me? Two servers, both 64 bit 32 GB RAM, ubuntu 7.10 -- Holz...

  1. Any ESX users here?

    --
    Holz

  2. Re: Any ESX users here?

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 09:58:06 -0700, Holz wrote:

    > I am looking into moving from the free version to ESX. Anyone here has
    > some input for me?
    > Two servers, both 64 bit 32 GB RAM, ubuntu 7.10

    It has limited hardware support so you can't use it on desktop hardware,
    however it sounds like you are running a real servers so it might be OK. I
    only have desktop style hardware so I wasn't able to try the free ESX.

    Have you tried using VMware Server 2? Server 2 supports 8G per VM vs 4G in
    Server 1. I've found the performance of Server 2 to be very good, however
    my applications are compute bound, if you are running IO bound
    applications Server isn't nearly as good.

    If I were you I'd put it on a machine and benchmark it vs Server 2. If you
    do that please post your results here, I'm sure a lot of us would be
    interested in what you found out.

  3. Re: Any ESX users here?

    On 2008-10-16, Holz wrote:
    > I am looking into moving from the free version to ESX. Anyone here has some
    > input for me?
    > Two servers, both 64 bit 32 GB RAM, ubuntu 7.10

    I have an ESX server at home as well as helping to manage a farm of
    about 150 of them at the office. The most important thing is to first
    verify that your hardware is compatible. ESX doesn't, for instance,
    work with IDE Hard Drives...

    Remember, though, that ESX IS the Operating System. You don't run it
    on top of Ubuntu (or any other OS). It has a modified RedHat distro
    underneath it.

    If you have any questions, ask. I haven't had to do very much
    troubleshooting, though, since we made sure we had completely
    compatible HW first. The installs go pretty smooth from there...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  4. Re: Any ESX users here?

    Thanks for the reply.
    We gave our vendor our server hardware spec and wwere told we are
    compatible. Th eserver is on SATA drives and has 16 GB memory, so it should
    be sufficient for what we need for now.

    "Joe" wrote in message
    > On 2008-10-16, Holz wrote:
    >> I am looking into moving from the free version to ESX. Anyone here has
    >> some
    >> input for me?
    >> Two servers, both 64 bit 32 GB RAM, ubuntu 7.10
    >>

    > I have an ESX server at home as well as helping to manage a farm of
    > about 150 of them at the office. The most important thing is to first
    > verify that your hardware is compatible. ESX doesn't, for instance,
    > work with IDE Hard Drives...
    >
    > Remember, though, that ESX IS the Operating System. You don't run it
    > on top of Ubuntu (or any other OS). It has a modified RedHat distro
    > underneath it.
    >
    > If you have any questions, ask. I haven't had to do very much
    > troubleshooting, though, since we made sure we had completely
    > compatible HW first. The installs go pretty smooth from there...
    >

    > --
    > Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    > joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    > "Hate is baggage, life is too short to go around pissed off all the
    > time..." - Danny, American History X

+ Reply to Thread