sharing e-mail - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on sharing e-mail - Ubuntu ; For trying Linux once more, I just downloaded Ubuntu 8.04.1 . A few years ago I had a try with other Linuxes, (Suse Debian). The main reason I did not continue was that when you open the e-mail once in ...

  1. sharing e-mail

    For trying Linux once more, I just downloaded Ubuntu 8.04.1 . A few years
    ago I had a try with other Linuxes, (Suse Debian). The main reason I did not
    continue was that when you open the e-mail once in Linux and the next time
    in Windows the mail was stored in 2 archives, 1 in Linux and an other one in
    Windows.

    Is there a way to avoid that from the beginning for example to tell Ubuntu
    to use the Windows files, or to copy the whole archive in both systems?

    Thanks for your tips.

    HWtn

  2. Re: sharing e-mail

    HWtn wrote:

    > For trying Linux once more, I just downloaded Ubuntu 8.04.1 . A few years
    > ago I had a try with other Linuxes, (Suse Debian). The main reason I did
    > not continue was that when you open the e-mail once in Linux and the next
    > time in Windows the mail was stored in 2 archives, 1 in Linux and an other
    > one in Windows.
    >
    > Is there a way to avoid that from the beginning for example to tell Ubuntu
    > to use the Windows files, or to copy the whole archive in both systems?
    >
    > Thanks for your tips.
    >
    > HWtn

    I assume you're talking about sharing .mbox files, probably in Thunderbird?

    I did that myself once, and did not have the problem you describe here.
    Possibly, it'll be easier now that we have safe and full write-support to
    NTFS partitions in Linux. Maybe a few symlinks from your Ubuntu thunderbird
    settings folder to the appropriate folders on the Windows partition will do
    you nicely.

    If I may suggest something completely different, I've switched all my mail
    (but my work mail) to GMail, it sucks in e-mails from three other accounts,
    and it supports IMAP, so that I can access my mail from my workplace, my
    Kubuntu box, my XP box, my Vista box, my cellphone, from any browser when
    I'm travelling, from basically anywhere I could possibly imagine.

    Sorry to sound like a Google salesman if you don't want this advice, just
    had to let you know that since I switched to GMail all this hassle of
    keeping email inboxes in sync has simply *poof* vanished

    HTH,
    Daniel

  3. Re: sharing e-mail

    HWtn schreef:
    > For trying Linux once more, I just downloaded Ubuntu 8.04.1 . A few years
    > ago I had a try with other Linuxes, (Suse Debian). The main reason I did not
    > continue was that when you open the e-mail once in Linux and the next time
    > in Windows the mail was stored in 2 archives, 1 in Linux and an other one in
    > Windows.
    >
    > Is there a way to avoid that from the beginning for example to tell Ubuntu
    > to use the Windows files, or to copy the whole archive in both systems?
    >
    > Thanks for your tips.
    >
    > HWtn

    Stop using POP3, learn about IMAP,... use it en no need to thank me ;-)

    Ro

  4. Re: sharing e-mail

    My travilng workstations runs ubuntu 7.10, which I use to connect to the
    company Exchange server without any problems. When in the office I am forced
    to use XP, connecting to the same server. No problems either way. For
    personal use, try IMAP.
    See Gamil help.
    "HWtn" wrote in message

    > For trying Linux once more, I just downloaded Ubuntu 8.04.1 . A few years
    > ago I had a try with other Linuxes, (Suse Debian). The main reason I did
    > not continue was that when you open the e-mail once in Linux and the next
    > time in Windows the mail was stored in 2 archives, 1 in Linux and an other
    > one in Windows.
    >
    > Is there a way to avoid that from the beginning for example to tell Ubuntu
    > to use the Windows files, or to copy the whole archive in both systems?
    >
    > Thanks for your tips.
    >
    > HWtn

  5. Re: sharing e-mail

    On 2008-10-16, HWtn wrote:

    > For trying Linux once more, I just downloaded Ubuntu 8.04.1 . A few years
    > ago I had a try with other Linuxes, (Suse Debian). The main reason I did not
    > continue was that when you open the e-mail once in Linux and the next time
    > in Windows the mail was stored in 2 archives, 1 in Linux and an other one in
    > Windows.
    >
    > Is there a way to avoid that from the beginning for example to tell Ubuntu
    > to use the Windows files, or to copy the whole archive in both systems?
    >
    > Thanks for your tips.

    Why not use an IMAP server? That allows you to access the e-mail from
    any machine without it needing to be stored locally.

    If that's not possible, you need an e-mail client that can share it's
    config files and mail. Thunderbird will probably work with some
    configuration. Or, tell your POP3 client software to leave the
    messages on the server. It will be downloaded twice, but you'll at
    least have access to it from both locations...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  6. Re: sharing e-mail

    Joe wrote:
    > Why not use an IMAP server? That allows you to access the e-mail from
    > any machine without it needing to be stored locally.

    Any recommendations for one that's quick and easy to set up?

  7. Re: sharing e-mail

    On 2008-10-17, Mike Scott wrote:
    > Joe wrote:
    >> Why not use an IMAP server? That allows you to access the e-mail from
    >> any machine without it needing to be stored locally.

    > Any recommendations for one that's quick and easy to set up?

    Are you planning to run the mail server at home?

    Most commercial e-mail providers now support the IMAP protocol for
    getting your e-mail. Check with your provider. If they don't, shop
    around.

    If you are looking to run a mail server of your own, you would use a
    combination of an SMTP server (Sendmail is the usual linux default,
    but Postfix is a bit more user friendly) and an IMAP/POP server
    (dovecot is the standard).

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  8. Re: sharing e-mail

    Joe wrote:
    > On 2008-10-17, Mike Scott wrote:
    >> Joe wrote:
    >>> Why not use an IMAP server? That allows you to access the e-mail from
    >>> any machine without it needing to be stored locally.

    >> Any recommendations for one that's quick and easy to set up?

    > Are you planning to run the mail server at home?

    Yes.

    > Most commercial e-mail providers now support the IMAP protocol for
    > getting your e-mail. Check with your provider. If they don't, shop
    > around.
    >
    > If you are looking to run a mail server of your own, you would use a
    > combination of an SMTP server (Sendmail is the usual linux default,

    I'm using sendmail, plus a bag of milters, mainly for historical reasons
    (it being what I used to use at work - "the devil you know", and all
    that :-) )

    > but Postfix is a bit more user friendly) and an IMAP/POP server
    > (dovecot is the standard).

    I'll take a look. The present pop3 server needs replacing - in a
    roundabout way it's the (well, a main) barrier to migrating from XP to
    ubuntu. My home network allows reading the same mailbox from any
    workstation, but that's currently predicated on the use of Pegasus plus
    some network trickery - a very good mail client but the owners refuse to
    port to *nix. IMAP seems the way to go, but TBH I don't want the hassle
    of anything too complex to set up.

  9. Re: sharing e-mail

    On 2008-10-17, Mike Scott wrote:

    > I'll take a look. The present pop3 server needs replacing - in a
    > roundabout way it's the (well, a main) barrier to migrating from XP to
    > ubuntu. My home network allows reading the same mailbox from any
    > workstation, but that's currently predicated on the use of Pegasus plus
    > some network trickery - a very good mail client but the owners refuse to
    > port to *nix. IMAP seems the way to go, but TBH I don't want the hassle
    > of anything too complex to set up.

    Dovecot will be no problem for you. There are tons of guides on the
    net, but it is really pretty simple overall, especially if you are
    just looking for a standard POP3/IMAP server.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  10. Re: sharing e-mail

    Joe wrote:
    > On 2008-10-17, Mike Scott wrote:
    >> I'll take a look. The present pop3 server needs replacing - in a
    >> roundabout way it's the (well, a main) barrier to migrating from XP to
    >> ubuntu. My home network allows reading the same mailbox from any
    >> workstation, but that's currently predicated on the use of Pegasus plus
    >> some network trickery - a very good mail client but the owners refuse to
    >> port to *nix. IMAP seems the way to go, but TBH I don't want the hassle
    >> of anything too complex to set up.

    > Dovecot will be no problem for you. There are tons of guides on the
    > net, but it is really pretty simple overall, especially if you are
    > just looking for a standard POP3/IMAP server.

    The dovecot wiki seems very detailed, with examples of lots of things
    I'll never need as well as the 'idiots guide'. I notice the author is
    putting up a sort of 'security bond' - maybe a well-known large company
    might consider following suite :-) (http://www.dovecot.org/security.html)

    Thanks.

  11. Re: sharing e-mail

    CalrkConnect community edition. Wonderful small business server for free.

    "Mike Scott" wrote in message
    > Joe wrote:
    >> On 2008-10-17, Mike Scott
    >> wrote:
    >>> Any recommendations for one that's quick and easy to set up?

    >> Are you planning to run the mail server at home?

    > Yes.
    >

    >> Most commercial e-mail providers now support the IMAP protocol for
    >> getting your e-mail. Check with your provider. If they don't, shop
    >> around.
    >>
    >> If you are looking to run a mail server of your own, you would use a
    >> combination of an SMTP server (Sendmail is the usual linux default,

    > I'm using sendmail, plus a bag of milters, mainly for historical reasons
    > (it being what I used to use at work - "the devil you know", and all that
    > :-) )
    >
    >> but Postfix is a bit more user friendly) and an IMAP/POP server (dovecot
    >> is the standard).

    > I'll take a look. The present pop3 server needs replacing - in a
    > roundabout way it's the (well, a main) barrier to migrating from XP to
    > ubuntu. My home network allows reading the same mailbox from any
    > workstation, but that's currently predicated on the use of Pegasus plus
    > some network trickery - a very good mail client but the owners refuse to
    > port to *nix. IMAP seems the way to go, but TBH I don't want the hassle of
    > anything too complex to set up.

  12. Re: sharing e-mail

    Mike Scott wrote:

    > Joe wrote:
    >> Why not use an IMAP server? That allows you to access the e-mail
    >> from any machine without it needing to be stored locally.

    > Any recommendations for one that's quick and easy to set up?

    dovecot

    Florian

  13. Re: sharing e-mail

    Florian Diesch wrote:
    > Mike Scott wrote:
    >
    >> Joe wrote:
    >>> Why not use an IMAP server? That allows you to access the e-mail
    >>> from any machine without it needing to be stored locally.

    >> Any recommendations for one that's quick and easy to set up?

    > dovecot

    Up and running; thanks to all.

    > Florian

  14. Re: sharing e-mail

    "HWtn" wrote in news:SvJJk.7732$N11.6399@newsfe13.ams2:

    > For trying Linux once more, I just downloaded Ubuntu 8.04.1 . A few
    > years ago I had a try with other Linuxes, (Suse Debian). The main
    > reason I did not continue was that when you open the e-mail once in
    > Linux and the next time in Windows the mail was stored in 2 archives,
    > 1 in Linux and an other one in Windows.
    >
    > Is there a way to avoid that from the beginning for example to tell
    > Ubuntu to use the Windows files, or to copy the whole archive in both
    > systems?
    >
    > Thanks for your tips.
    >
    > HWtn

    Of course, this would only work if you are using the same mail client in both OS's.

    Using Thunderbird....

    I have this setup and it works great.

  15. Re: sharing e-mail

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 17:57:44 +0200, HWtn wrote:

    > Is there a way to avoid that from the beginning for example to tell
    > Ubuntu to use the Windows files, or to copy the whole archive in both
    > systems?

    Use IMAP rather than POP - works for me.

+ Reply to Thread