wireless connection - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on wireless connection - Ubuntu ; hi, i have tried to setup a wireless hot spot connection under Ubuntu and I can not. I am using the hotspot under vista to send this post. The Network Manager has two options: "wired" and "point to point", no ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. wireless connection

    hi,

    i have tried to setup a wireless hot spot connection under Ubuntu and I
    can not. I am using the hotspot under vista to send this post. The
    Network Manager has two options: "wired" and "point to point", no
    wireless. The roam option is on.

    Further, I do not have a Hardware Manager under System > Administration
    However, witht he Hardware Troubleshooting tool, my card is recognized as:

    NVIDIA MCP 67

    Under vista, I did a "ipconfig /all > filename" and can access the
    results under Ubuntu.

    The "Help" said to use the Hardware Manager which I can not find.

    suggestions as how to proceed?

    peter

  2. Re: wireless connection

    Moog wrote:

    > Peter, do you know which Wireless Card you are using?
    >
    > Open a terminal and type one of the following commands
    >
    > IF plugged in by usb
    > $ lsusb
    >
    > IF a full of mini PCI card
    > $ lspci
    >
    > This will give some info on what is plugged in. Post it here, and
    > we'll see what we can do.

    I will do this as soon as I reboot...from vista, how can I access the
    file I put the ls* info into?
    this ipconfig info is not useful? NVIDIA MCP 67

    > As an related aside....
    > I had a weird issue on my netbook where the kernel actually has
    > drivers, but other binary restricted drivers are enabled by default.
    >
    > In Ubuntu 8.04 (and later) the restricted drivers can be disabled from
    > System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers.
    >
    > Once I disabled them, my wireless card sprang to life after a reboot

    I will look at this also but for now, how do I know which is which?

    peter

  3. Re: wireless connection

    Moog wrote:

    > Peter, do you know which Wireless Card you are using?
    >
    > Open a terminal and type one of the following commands
    > IF plugged in by usb
    > $ lsusb
    > IF a full of mini PCI card
    > $ lspci

    I did both...I do not have a usb device hanging off my laptop and the
    lsusb doesnt look like it has any related info (I will however include
    the lsusb info when I get the file into vista and then post it here)

    > This will give some info on what is plugged in. Post it here, and
    > we'll see what we can do.

    How do I access the file I created on the Linux partition from vista?
    the vista "help" lists 120 topics for "accessing files" but nothing
    related to this issue.

    > As an related aside....
    > I had a weird issue on my netbook where the kernel actually has
    > drivers, but other binary restricted drivers are enabled by default.
    >
    > In Ubuntu 8.04 (and later) the restricted drivers can be disabled from
    > System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers.

    The only driver listed is a nVidia video card....

    peter

  4. Re: wireless connection ls* Results

    here are the resukts of the lspci and lsusb commands.
    I transfered the file from Ubuntu to vista from Ubuntu...is that the
    only way to get files from Ubuntu to MS?

    00:00.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP67 Memory Controller (rev a2)
    00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP67 ISA Bridge (rev a2)
    00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP67 SMBus (rev a2)
    00:01.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP67 Memory Controller (rev a2)
    00:01.3 Co-processor: nVidia Corporation MCP67 Co-processor (rev a2)
    00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP67 OHCI USB 1.1 Controller
    (rev a2)
    00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP67 EHCI USB 2.0 Controller
    (rev a2)
    00:04.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP67 OHCI USB 1.1 Controller
    (rev a2)
    00:04.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP67 EHCI USB 2.0 Controller
    (rev a2)
    00:06.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP67 IDE Controller (rev a1)
    00:07.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP67 High Definition Audio
    (rev a1)
    00:08.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP67 PCI Bridge (rev a2)
    00:09.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP67 AHCI Controller (rev a2)
    00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation MCP67 Ethernet (rev a2)
    00:0c.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP67 PCI Express Bridge (rev a2)
    00:0d.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP67 PCI Express Bridge (rev a2)
    00:12.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 7150M (rev a2)
    00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron]
    HyperTransport Technology Configuration
    00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron]
    Address Map
    00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron]
    DRAM Controller
    00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron]
    Miscellaneous Control
    02:05.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller
    (rev 05)
    02:05.1 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro
    Host Adapter (rev 22)
    02:05.2 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C843 MMC Host Controller (rev 12)
    02:05.3 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host
    Adapter (rev 12)
    02:05.4 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd xD-Picture Card Controller (rev ff)
    03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4328 802.11a/b/g/n
    (rev 03)

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++\n

[...]

  5. Re: wireless connection ls* Results

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 09:24:33 -0400, peter wrote:

    > here are the resukts of the lspci and lsusb commands. I transfered the
    > file from Ubuntu to vista from Ubuntu...is that the only way to get
    > files from Ubuntu to MS?

    As we are no privy to how you installed Ubuntu that's difficult to answer.

    If it's been installed under vista using wubi then I don't know.
    If it's on a separate partition then you can get an add-on to windows
    that allows it to read/write ext2/ext3 filesystems. Needless to say you
    have to assign them a drive letter!

  6. Re: wireless connection ls* Results

    Derek Turner wrote:
    > On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 09:24:33 -0400, peter wrote:
    >
    >> here are the resukts of the lspci and lsusb commands. I transfered the
    >> file from Ubuntu to vista from Ubuntu...is that the only way to get
    >> files from Ubuntu to MS?

    any hints from the output of the ls* cmd's above?

    > As we are no privy to how you installed Ubuntu that's difficult to answer.

    I installed it on a separate partition

    > If it's been installed under vista using wubi then I don't know.
    > If it's on a separate partition then you can get an add-on to windows
    > that allows it to read/write ext2/ext3 filesystems.

    anyone in particular?

    Needless to say you
    > have to assign them a drive letter!

  7. Re: wireless connection ls* Results

    peter wrote:

    > 03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4328 802.11a/b/g/n
    > (rev 03)

    This identifies your network card. You can research from there, or
    others will be able to respond with detailed instructions.

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5

  8. Re: wireless connection ls* Results

    peter wrote:

    > I transfered the file from Ubuntu to vista from Ubuntu...is that the
    > only way to get files from Ubuntu to MS?

    Install this to your Vista machine if you want r/w access to your ext3
    (linux) partitions:

    http://www.fs-driver.org/

    Be Careful! This will give you *full* permission to *everything* -- you
    can bork your Ubuntu install in a heartbeat if you edit something you
    shouldn't.

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5
    Registered Linux User #415318
    ....lose .inhibitions when replying

  9. Re: wireless connection ls* Results

    On 16 Oct 2008 14:38:11 GMT, Derek Turner wrote:

    >If it's been installed under vista using wubi then I don't know.

    Wubi allows excellent access to Vista drives via "Computer"

    Too good in fact and I "Unmount" them when not in use as a precaution.

    I am impressed with wubi as a learning transfer to Linux.

  10. Re: wireless connection

    peter wrote in news:GTFJk.2581$hc1.1424
    @flpi150.ffdc.sbc.com:

    > Moog wrote:
    >
    >> Peter, do you know which Wireless Card you are using?
    >>

    > this ipconfig info is not useful? NVIDIA MCP 67

    Might want to try:

    ipconfig /all

    Then you should end up with a listing similar to the following:

    Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Belkin
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
    Network Con
    nection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1C-BF-00-5D-DB
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

    <.....snipped for brevity>

    In ubuntu you might want to try (as well as the lsusb and lspci):

    lshw -C network

    *-network
    product: BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller
    vendor: Broadcom Corporation
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@06:00.0

    <.....snipped for brevity>

    capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
    configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ndiswrapper+lsbcmnds driverversion=
    1.48rc1+Cisco-Linksys ,LLC.,02/1 ip=192.168.1.102 latency=64
    multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11g
    resources: iomemory:3c000000-3c001fff irq:11

    Your wireless is a : Broadcom Corporation BCM4328 802.11a/b/g/n

    .......which is as far as I know unsupported natively in linux, so you
    most likely will end up configuring it with with your windows drivers
    via ndiswrapper.

    For more information on ndiswrapper, you might want to check out the
    following site:

    http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-n...plicant-howto/

  11. Re: wireless connection ls* Results

    EricP wrote in

    > On 16 Oct 2008 14:38:11 GMT, Derek Turner wrote:
    >
    >>If it's been installed under vista using wubi then I don't know.

    > Wubi allows excellent access to Vista drives via "Computer"
    >
    > Too good in fact and I "Unmount" them when not in use as a precaution.
    >
    > I am impressed with wubi as a learning transfer to Linux.

    FWIW, I used Ubuntu v8.04 Wubi install via Vista for several months; worked
    great. Only problem I had with it was trying to troubleshoot a Grub
    problem.....but then again, I've also had to work through several grub
    related issues in a native install too.

  12. Re: wireless connection

    propman illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Your wireless is a : Broadcom Corporation BCM4328 802.11a/b/g/n
    >
    > ......which is as far as I know unsupported natively in linux, so you
    > most likely will end up configuring it with with your windows drivers
    > via ndiswrapper.
    >
    > For more information on ndiswrapper, you might want to check out the
    > following site:
    >
    > http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-n...plicant-howto/

    Yup. That's that is roughly what I'd say.

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

  13. Re: wireless connection

    Moog wrote:

    > propman illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Your wireless is a : Broadcom Corporation BCM4328 802.11a/b/g/n
    >>
    >> ......which is as far as I know unsupported natively in linux, so you
    >> most likely will end up configuring it with with your windows drivers
    >> via ndiswrapper.
    >>
    >> For more information on ndiswrapper, you might want to check out the
    >> following site:
    >>
    >> http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-n...plicant-howto/

    > Yup. That's that is roughly what I'd say.

    FWIW - I too have a laptop with a Braodcomm 43xx adapter. Although I did
    get it working with ndiswrappers, last week Broadcomm in conjunction with
    Canonical released a native driver for Ubuntu. I removed the ndiswrappers
    and installed the new drivers and I now have a native wireless working with
    WPA2 security. Search the Ubuntu community forums for the download links.

    Good luck - Bob

  14. Re: wireless connection

    Bob M illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >
    >> propman illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> Your wireless is a : Broadcom Corporation BCM4328 802.11a/b/g/n
    >>>
    >>> ......which is as far as I know unsupported natively in linux, so you
    >>> most likely will end up configuring it with with your windows drivers
    >>> via ndiswrapper.
    >>>
    >>> For more information on ndiswrapper, you might want to check out the
    >>> following site:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-n...plicant-howto/

    >> Yup. That's that is roughly what I'd say.
    >>

    > FWIW - I too have a laptop with a Braodcomm 43xx adapter. Although I did
    > get it working with ndiswrappers, last week Broadcomm in conjunction with
    > Canonical released a native driver for Ubuntu. I removed the ndiswrappers
    > and installed the new drivers and I now have a native wireless working with
    > WPA2 security. Search the Ubuntu community forums for the download links.
    >
    > Good luck - Bob

    Hi Bob,

    I think I stated exactly that in my first post in the thread.

    The kernel (2.6.27) and onwards has built in support for a huge amount
    of wireless adaptors.

    However, I've recently done a kernel upgrade (2.6.27-7) and this has borked it.

    --
    "My mother was like a sister to me, only we didn't have sex quite so
    often." ~ Emo Philips

  15. Re: wireless connection

    Bob M wrote in

    > Moog wrote:
    >
    >> propman illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> Your wireless is a : Broadcom Corporation BCM4328 802.11a/b/g/n
    >>>
    >>> ......which is as far as I know unsupported natively in linux, so
    >>> you most likely will end up configuring it with with your windows
    >>> drivers via ndiswrapper.
    >>>
    >>> For more information on ndiswrapper, you might want to check out the
    >>> following site:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-n...plicant-howto/

    >> Yup. That's that is roughly what I'd say.
    >>

    > FWIW - I too have a laptop with a Braodcomm 43xx adapter. Although I
    > did get it working with ndiswrappers, last week Broadcomm in
    > conjunction with Canonical released a native driver for Ubuntu. I
    > removed the ndiswrappers and installed the new drivers and I now have
    > a native wireless working with WPA2 security. Search the Ubuntu
    > community forums for the download links.
    >
    > Good luck - Bob

    Hmmmm.....very cool! Thanks for the update...don't personally use
    Broadcom but I would imagine that is going to make a lot of rascals
    happier with their new installs etc. Much appreciated. :-)

  16. Re: wireless connection

    Moog wrote in

    > Bob M illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Moog wrote:
    >>
    >>> propman illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> Yup. That's that is roughly what I'd say.
    >>>

    >> FWIW - I too have a laptop with a Braodcomm 43xx adapter. Although I
    >> did get it working with ndiswrappers, last week Broadcomm in
    >> conjunction with Canonical released a native driver for Ubuntu. I
    >> removed the ndiswrappers and installed the new drivers and I now have
    >> a native wireless working with WPA2 security. Search the Ubuntu
    >> community forums for the download links.
    >>
    >> Good luck - Bob

    > Hi Bob,
    >
    > I think I stated exactly that in my first post in the thread.

    Hmm....must have missed that point. My apologies to you and the OP.

    > The kernel (2.6.27) and onwards has built in support for a huge amount
    > of wireless adaptors.
    >
    > However, I've recently done a kernel upgrade (2.6.27-7) and this has
    > borked it.

    Bummer! Hope they have a fix for real soon, :-)

  17. Re: wireless connection

    On 2008-10-17, Bob M wrote:

    > FWIW - I too have a laptop with a Braodcomm 43xx adapter. Although I did
    > get it working with ndiswrappers, last week Broadcomm in conjunction with
    > Canonical released a native driver for Ubuntu. I removed the ndiswrappers
    > and installed the new drivers and I now have a native wireless working with
    > WPA2 security. Search the Ubuntu community forums for the download links.

    Is that the driver marked as 'wl'? I saw this with my install of
    Intrepid Ibex but it certainly did nothing for a Broadcom 4312 chip. I
    returned to b43 and was most impressed to see a neat little script in
    Intrepid that simply required:

    #v+

    sudo /usr/share/b43-fwcutter/install_bcm43xx_firmware.sh

    #v-

    Runs flawlessly with this.

    Andrew
    --
    echo 'http://www.andrews-corner.org/mutt.html' | \
    sed -e 's/\///g' -e 's/.\{12\}$/com/' \

  18. Re: wireless connection

    propman illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote in
    >
    >> Bob M illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> FWIW - I too have a laptop with a Braodcomm 43xx adapter. Although I
    >>> did get it working with ndiswrappers, last week Broadcomm in
    >>> conjunction with Canonical released a native driver for Ubuntu. I
    >>> removed the ndiswrappers and installed the new drivers and I now have
    >>> a native wireless working with WPA2 security. Search the Ubuntu
    >>> community forums for the download links.
    >>>
    >>> Good luck - Bob

    >> Hi Bob,
    >>
    >> I think I stated exactly that in my first post in the thread.

    > Hmm....must have missed that point. My apologies to you and the OP.
    >

    >> The kernel (2.6.27) and onwards has built in support for a huge amount
    >> of wireless adaptors.
    >>
    >> However, I've recently done a kernel upgrade (2.6.27-7) and this has
    >> borked it.
    >>

    > Bummer! Hope they have a fix for real soon, :-)

    Yup. Patched this morning. I booted into 2.6.27-6 and revision 12 of
    2.6.27-7 was offered as a replacement.

    How quick was that?

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

  19. Re: wireless connection

    Moog wrote in

    > propman illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >> Moog wrote in

    >>> The kernel (2.6.27) and onwards has built in support for a huge
    >>> amount of wireless adaptors.

    BTW.....do you know off-hand ifis there a listing somewhere one could
    peruse; wouldn't mind seeing if any of mine have been added. Thanks.
    :-)

    >>> However, I've recently done a kernel upgrade (2.6.27-7) and this has
    >>> borked it.
    >>>

    >> Bummer! Hope they have a fix for real soon, :-)

    > Yup. Patched this morning. I booted into 2.6.27-6 and revision 12 of
    > 2.6.27-7 was offered as a replacement.
    >
    > How quick was that?

    Very cool!

  20. Re: wireless connection ls* Results

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 12:11:20 -0400, peter wrote:

    > Derek Turner wrote:
    >> On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 09:24:33 -0400, peter wrote:
    >>
    >>> here are the resukts of the lspci and lsusb commands. I transfered the
    >>> file from Ubuntu to vista from Ubuntu...is that the only way to get
    >>> files from Ubuntu to MS?

    > any hints from the output of the ls* cmd's above?
    >

    >> As we are no privy to how you installed Ubuntu that's difficult to
    >> answer.

    > I installed it on a separate partition
    >

    >> If it's been installed under vista using wubi then I don't know. If
    >> it's on a separate partition then you can get an add-on to windows that
    >> allows it to read/write ext2/ext3 filesystems.

    > anyone in particular?

    http://www.fs-driver.org/download.html

    is what I use. Be /very/ careful what you alter from 'doze though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast