newbie questions on fresh install - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on newbie questions on fresh install - Ubuntu ; Hi, Due to an injury and other life issues, I have been away from UNIX devel for quite awhile and want to get back into it so I have just multi booted Ubuntu and vista. I have done some admin ...

  1. newbie questions on fresh install

    Hi,

    Due to an injury and other life issues, I have been away from UNIX devel
    for quite awhile and want to get back into it so I have just multi
    booted Ubuntu and vista. I have done some admin work on Xenix and
    solaris, but not much and want to gain admin skills on Ubuntu as well as
    doing devel work.

    If you reply to my questions, please include references so I can read
    more about the topic .

    A few questions:
    1) I was not asked about setting up any file systems or swap, can I do
    that now?
    2) I was not asked to setup a root account, is my user account a root
    account? can I change that. I dont like working as root.
    3) how do I setup a wireless web conncetion?
    4) is there web security built into Ubuntu: spys, viruses , firewall?
    5) can i do devel work from the GUI? how do I get to the #/$?
    6) is there alot/any "C" work nowadays or is Java the widely used devel
    lang now?
    7) where are the man pages?

    tia,
    peter

  2. Re: newbie questions on fresh install

    sorry, it looked like I had sent the same 3 posts and I tried to cancel
    the dup's but all of the posts were deleted.

    peter

  3. Re: newbie questions on fresh install

    peter schreef:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Due to an injury and other life issues, I have been away from UNIX devel
    > for quite awhile and want to get back into it so I have just multi
    > booted Ubuntu and vista. I have done some admin work on Xenix and
    > solaris, but not much and want to gain admin skills on Ubuntu as well as
    > doing devel work.

    Welcome back and I hope you'll enjoy the experience.

    > If you reply to my questions, please include references so I can read
    > more about the topic .
    >
    > A few questions:
    > 1) I was not asked about setting up any file systems or swap, can I do
    > that now?

    A bit weird but maybe you selected some sort of 'automatic' setup during
    install.
    I assume gparted is already installed, if not do it now through the
    package manager (synaptic) and run it up, it'll show you all existing
    partitions. Please note you can only change non-mounted (unmounted) file
    systems so doing it with a GParted (or Ubuntu!) Live CD is a good solution..
    > 2) I was not asked to setup a root account, is my user account a root
    > account? can I change that. I dont like working as root.

    As others have already mentioned, this is standard for Ubuntu.
    When you google on the issue you'll find differentiating opinions on
    this Ubuntu 'oddity' but so far it works out very well.
    The first user you installed can escalate his rights by pre pending his
    commands with 'sudo'.
    > 3) how do I setup a wireless web conncetion?

    Providing the chipset of your wifi adaptor is recognised it should
    already be there, just find the right application. (networkmanager)
    > 4) is there web security built into Ubuntu: spys, viruses , firewall?

    Ubuntu uses IPTables and has by default no listening services installed
    or enabled. But there are several (GUI) applications that can help you
    configure IPTables to become an excellent firewall.
    > 5) can i do devel work from the GUI? how do I get to the #/$?

    Ubuntu is like any *unix a great platform for development.
    With #/$ you probably mean the 'Command Prompt' or 'Terminal', you can
    find it in the application menu.
    > 6) is there alot/any "C" work nowadays or is Java the widely used devel
    > lang now?

    Take your pick, even Cobol programmers find work
    > 7) where are the man pages?

    man man in the Terminal.

    > tia,
    > peter

    Google is your best friend when looking for all things Linux, there is a
    truly amazing amount of documentation and experience available.

  4. Re: newbie questions on fresh install

    peter schreef:

    > 5) can i do devel work from the GUI? how do I get to the #/$?
    > 6) is there alot/any "C" work nowadays or is Java the widely used devel
    > lang now?

    "http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/10/15/1848218"

  5. Re: newbie questions on fresh install

    On 10/15/2008 01:27 PM Dirk T. Verbeek scribbled:

    > Google is your best friend when looking for all things Linux, there is a
    > truly amazing amount of documentation and experience available.

    excellent advice but change "amazing" to "overwhelming" for anyone new
    to linux - I'd need to have the wife get a 2nd job to find time to go
    through all the various ways to solve a single problem. This isn't a
    bad thing but it can drive you nuts...

  6. Re: newbie questions on fresh install

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 15:44:04 -0400, peter wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Due to an injury and other life issues, I have been away from UNIX devel
    > for quite awhile and want to get back into it so I have just multi
    > booted Ubuntu and vista. I have done some admin work on Xenix and
    > solaris, but not much and want to gain admin skills on Ubuntu as well as
    > doing devel work.
    >
    > If you reply to my questions, please include references so I can read
    > more about the topic .
    >
    > A few questions:
    > 1) I was not asked about setting up any file systems or swap, can I do
    > that now?

    It should have done that - check first - use swapon.

    > 2) I was not asked to setup a root account, is my user account a root
    > account? can I change that. I dont like working as root.

    Ubuntu does not enable a root account by default. You are expected to use
    'sudo cmd' to run whatever cmd you would run as root.

    > 3) how do I
    > setup a wireless web conncetion?

    What's your hardware? It may have been done already.

    > 4) is there web security built into
    > Ubuntu: spys, viruses , firewall?

    There is sufficient security built in. Linux is not affected by MS
    malware. Check the system menu for 'firestarter' as the firewall - I
    believe it's included by default.

    > 5) can i do devel work from the GUI?
    > how do I get to the #/$?

    Sure. Start a terminal window.

    > 6) is there alot/any "C" work nowadays or is
    > Java the widely used devel lang now?

    Java is not that widely used because it is SLOW. There is still lots of C,
    but more C++.

    > 7) where are the man pages?

    Installed on your system. Type "man xxx" in a terminal window to see the
    man page for xxx.

    > tia,
    > peter

  7. Re: newbie questions on fresh install

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 15:44:04 -0400, peter wrote:

    > 1) I was not asked about setting up any file systems or swap, can I do
    > that now?

    It is already done. You can modify the settings as you like.

    > 2) I was not asked to setup a root account, is my user account a root
    > account? can I change that. I dont like working as root.

    Ubuntu sucks out loud concerning that. See the kdmrc or gdm.conf or
    similar files in the /etc directory. There are options like
    'AllowRootLogin', and such. Change them to TRUE. You can then login to
    the GUI as root. It is a bad idea, though.

    You can get a console (with kconsole on the GUI, or Ctrl-Alt-F1), and
    login as root. In the GUI console, use a 'su -' command, and give your
    password, and you will have a root command line.

    > 4) is there web security built into
    > Ubuntu: spys, viruses , firewall?

    Yes.

    > 5) can i do devel work from the GUI? how
    > do I get to the #/$?

    You can use kdevelop or Glade fairly easily. Install them

    > 7) where are the man pages?

    Use the Adept GUI package manager. Search for 'manpages'. Install the
    package(s).

    --
    Censorship reflects a society's lack
    of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark

    -- Potter Stewart, U.S. Supreme Court Justice

  8. Re: newbie questions on fresh install

    jrg wrote:

    > ...I'd need to have the wife get a 2nd job to find time to go
    > through all the various ways to solve a single problem.

    Great idea! I'll give that a shot.

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5