newbie questions on fresh install - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on newbie questions on fresh install - Ubuntu ; Hi, due to an injury and other life issues, I have been away from UNIX devel for quite awhile and want to get back to it so I have just multi booted Ubuntu with vista I have done a little ...

  1. newbie questions on fresh install

    Hi,

    due to an injury and other life issues, I have been away from UNIX devel
    for quite awhile and want to get back to it so I have just multi booted
    Ubuntu with vista I have done a little admin work on Xenix and Solaris
    but not much and I want to learn more on Ubuntu.

    I have a few questions.
    first, what do I need to tell you about my laptop?
    2) where can I find info on setting up a wireless web connection ?
    3) can I do devel work with the Gui? eclipse
    4) how do I get to the #
    5) since I was not asked to set up a root account, I imagine that the
    user account is the root? can I change that, I prefer to work as a user
    rather than root.
    6) I was not asked if i wanted to setup different file systems and/or
    swap, can that be done now?
    7) Is there alot/any "C" work nowadays? If not is Java the most widely
    used lang?

    tia,
    peter

  2. Re: newbie questions on fresh install

    Hi Peter,

    > first, what do I need to tell you about my laptop?

    Not sure what you are asking. It has been my experience that Linux
    generally works better with older technology. So if you have a cutting
    edge laptop you might have some issues with it.

    > 2) where can I find info on setting up a wireless web connection ?

    Depending upon the wireless chip set you have in your laptop, I have had
    really good luck with Ubuntu 8.04 being able to detect the card and away
    I go. Then if you click on the network icon, it should show you all
    available wireless connections in your area. Click on the one you want
    to connect to, and if it requires a password it will prompt you for it.
    VERY straight forward.

    > 3) can I do devel work with the Gui? eclipse

    Yes.

    > 4) how do I get to the #

    Not sure what you are asking for here. Terminal? Click on Applications,
    Accessories, Terminal. Tah dah.

    > 5) since I was not asked to set up a root account, I imagine that the
    > user account is the root? can I change that, I prefer to work as a user
    > rather than root.

    That would be an incorrect assumption. With Ubuntu there is a root, but
    you don't need it. You also aren't running as root. To install or run
    things as root, you add "sudo" in front of your command. They do this
    for protection.

    > 6) I was not asked if i wanted to setup different file systems and/or
    > swap, can that be done now?

    If you installed it through Windows it is sort of setup as a virtual
    machine. (Not truly, but sort of.) If you wanted to repartician your
    drive and setup swap drives you would probably want to uninstalled it
    through Vista. Then boot off of the CD and do the installation that way.

    > 7) Is there alot/any "C" work nowadays? If not is Java the most widely
    > used lang?

    No clue. I recommend looking on Dice.com that seems to have a lot of
    technical jobs versus Monster.com.

    Hope that helps.

    Lee

  3. Re: newbie questions on fresh install

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 15:22:47 -0400, peter wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > due to an injury and other life issues, I have been away from UNIX devel
    > for quite awhile and want to get back to it so I have just multi booted
    > Ubuntu with vista I have done a little admin work on Xenix and Solaris
    > but not much and I want to learn more on Ubuntu.
    >
    > I have a few questions.
    > first, what do I need to tell you about my laptop?

    Probably nothing. Ubuntu does a good job of detecting and configuring
    most hardware, and hardware vendors are finally starting to take Linux
    support seriously.

    > 2) where can I find info on setting up a wireless web connection ?

    add Ubuntuforums.org to your bookmarks. It shouldn't be hard to set up
    the connection, unless you happen to have an unsupported chipset.

    > 3) can I do devel work with the Gui? eclipse

    Don't see why not.

    > 4) how do I get to the #

    This is an Ubuntu quirk. Ubuntu does not set a root password by default,
    so you have to "sudo" everything that requires root permissions. You can
    create a *real* root account by:

    $ sudo -i

    # passwd
    Enter new UNIX password:

    Once you have given root a password, you can "su -" into it as in other
    Linux/Unixes

    > 5)
    > since I was not asked to set up a root account, I imagine that the user
    > account is the root? can I change that, I prefer to work as a user
    > rather than root.

    See above.

    > 6) I was not asked if i wanted to setup different file systems and/or
    > swap, can that be done now?

    gparted

    > 7) Is there alot/any "C" work nowadays? If not is Java the most widely
    > used lang?

    NO FLAME WARS about languages!

    'C' is fine; it's what the kernel hackers use.
    Python is a popular choice, too.

    > tia,
    > peter

    Enjoy, and welcome back!

    --
    MarkA
    Keeper of the Butter Dish of Balshazar

  4. Re: newbie questions on fresh install

    peter wrote in

    > but not much and I want to learn more on Ubuntu.
    >
    > I have a few questions.
    > first, what do I need to tell you about my laptop?

    If you run into a specific problem then it's always a good idea to post
    the laptop make/model #, wireless/net card make/model #, etc etc.

    > 2) where can I find info on setting up a wireless web connection ?

    Good starting point:

    https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/internet/C/index.html

    https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/programming/C/index.html

    > 4) how do I get to the #

    Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal

    Also see this site for basic terminal commands:

    https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/basic-commands/C/

    > 5) since I was not asked to set up a root account, I imagine that the
    > user account is the root? can I change that, I prefer to work as a
    > >user rather than root.

    You should be logged on as user already....it's the default install
    setup.

    https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/administrative/C/

    > 6) I was not asked if i wanted to setup different file systems and/or
    > swap, can that be done now?

    Hmmmmm.....should have been. If you want to doublecheck the install,
    then open a terminal session and type "fdisk -l". Can also check the
    contents of the file "/etc/fstab" or use a partioning program such as
    Gparted.

    > 7) Is there alot/any "C" work nowadays? If not is Java the most
    > widely used lang?

    Don't have a clue!

  5. Re: newbie questions on fresh install

    In alt.os.linux.ubuntu on Wed, 15 Oct 2008 15:22:47 -0400, peter
    wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > due to an injury and other life issues, I have been away from UNIX devel
    > for quite awhile and want to get back to it so I have just multi booted
    > Ubuntu with vista I have done a little admin work on Xenix and Solaris
    > but not much and I want to learn more on Ubuntu.
    >
    > I have a few questions.
    > first, what do I need to tell you about my laptop?

    I don't know. What would you *like* to tell us about your laptop?

    > 2) where can I find info on setting up a wireless web connection ?

    Google. If that fails, ask here and provide details of your hardware.

    > 3) can I do devel work with the Gui? eclipse

    Dunno. You can certainly still use vi or whatever other tools you used
    to use.

    > 4) how do I get to the #

    sudo

    > 5) since I was not asked to set up a root account, I imagine that the
    > user account is the root? can I change that, I prefer to work as a user
    > rather than root.

    The default user account isn't root, but it has full sudoers privileges.

    > 6) I was not asked if i wanted to setup different file systems and/or
    > swap, can that be done now?

    It's likely that you have a / partition and a swap partition. If you
    want something more complicated, all the usual partitioning tools are
    available.

    > 7) Is there alot/any "C" work nowadays? If not is Java the most widely
    > used lang?

    Almost all the software I use is written in C or C++. I don't have
    even a Java Runtime Environment installed, and I can get my daily
    news, chat and pr0n without it.

    --
    PJR :-)
    slrn newsreader v0.9.9p1: http://slrn.sourceforge.net/