Virus Protection Not Needed? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Virus Protection Not Needed? - Ubuntu ; I've seen a number of messages saying that with Linux or Ubuntu virus protection is not needed. However, my WinXP system was just trashed by a trogen horse virus. Since I always use Verizon security suite with my WinXP, I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 47

  1. Virus Protection Not Needed?

    I've seen a number of messages saying that with Linux or Ubuntu virus
    protection is not needed. However, my WinXP system was just trashed by
    a trogen horse virus. Since I always use Verizon security suite with my
    WinXP, I wonder if the virus came in through the Ubuntu system which did
    not have a virus protection. My computer vendor had to re-format both
    hard drives in order to make sure that the virus was wiped out, none of
    their programs would remove it. My system was a dual-boot system and I
    shared files between Ubuntu and WinXP. The only way that I can figure
    out is that the virus came in through the Ubuntu system and when I used
    WinXP it trashed my boot sector and various files through out the two
    hard disks. I have scanned my two external hard drives that I use for
    backups and they are clean, so can reclaim most of my data.

    When I put Ubuntu back on my system, I'll have to also install a virus
    protection software, what would be a good one to use? I've seen a
    couple of posts suggesting rkhunter or Free AVG Linus antivirus.
    Looking for one that does a good job and is easy to install as my Linux
    expertise is limited.

  2. Re: Virus Protection Not Needed?

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 14:12:27 -0400, Patrick wrote:

    > When I put Ubuntu back on my system, I'll have to also install a
    > virus
    > protection software, what would be a good one to use? I've seen a
    > couple of posts suggesting rkhunter or Free AVG Linus antivirus. Looking
    > for one that does a good job and is easy to install as my Linux
    > expertise is limited.

    I very highly doubt the virus "came in through the Ubuntu system". And
    if it did, there's no way the virus would have been able to mount your
    windows partition and infect a binary.

    However - if you're looking for AV protection for Ubuntu, you'll want to
    install ClamAV. It should be there in Add/Remove Software - just do a
    search for "clam". Another package that's available is F-Prot for Linux,
    you'll have to get it from the manufacturer's website.

    Linux is not "virus-proof", but the chances of getting a virus on Linux
    are pretty slim. I've never run AV protection on my linux boxes for
    years and years and haven't had a problem yet.

  3. Re: Virus Protection Not Needed?

    Patrick wrote:
    > I've seen a number of messages saying that with Linux or Ubuntu
    > virus protection is not needed. However, my WinXP system was just
    > trashed by a trogen horse virus. Since I always use Verizon security
    > suite with my WinXP, I wonder if the virus came in through the Ubuntu
    > system which did not have a virus protection. My computer vendor had to
    > re-format both hard drives in order to make sure that the virus was
    > wiped out, none of their programs would remove it. My system was a
    > dual-boot system and I shared files between Ubuntu and WinXP. The only
    > way that I can figure out is that the virus came in through the Ubuntu
    > system and when I used WinXP it trashed my boot sector and various files
    > through out the two hard disks. I have scanned my two external hard
    > drives that I use for backups and they are clean, so can reclaim most of
    > my data.
    >
    > When I put Ubuntu back on my system, I'll have to also install a
    > virus protection software, what would be a good one to use? I've seen a
    > couple of posts suggesting rkhunter or Free AVG Linus antivirus. Looking
    > for one that does a good job and is easy to install as my Linux
    > expertise is limited.

    Do you have a router with a hard firewall enabled? That's what you need
    for Ubuntu, not an av program. That and keep up-to-date with Ubuntu updates.

    Alias

  4. Re: Virus Protection Not Needed?

    Mike Bleiweiss wrote in

    > On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 14:12:27 -0400, Patrick wrote:
    >
    >> When I put Ubuntu back on my system, I'll have to also install a
    >> virus
    >> protection software, what would be a good one to use? I've seen a
    >> couple of posts suggesting rkhunter or Free AVG Linus antivirus.
    >> Looking for one that does a good job and is easy to install as my
    >> Linux expertise is limited.

    .......or automatic virus scan on the windows side each time a file is
    transfered from the linux side?

    > I very highly doubt the virus "came in through the Ubuntu system".

    A file is a file....can be transfer onto the windows system

    > And if it did, there's no way the virus would have been able to mount
    > your windows partition and infect a binary.

    Doesn't have to........it however could be run from the windows side
    after being transfered from the ubuntu side (think separate systems or
    dual boot)

    > However - if you're looking for AV protection for Ubuntu, you'll want
    > to install ClamAV. It should be there in Add/Remove Software - just
    > do a search for "clam". Another package that's available is F-Prot
    > for Linux, you'll have to get it from the manufacturer's website.
    >
    > Linux is not "virus-proof", but the chances of getting a virus on
    > Linux are pretty slim. I've never run AV protection on my linux boxes
    > for years and years and haven't had a problem yet.

    Hmmmm....not running any virus stuff on the linux installs here either
    yet but the thought just crossed my mind......do the linux virus
    scanners only scan for applicable linux based virii or do they also scan
    for rascals that only affect, say, windows systems?

    Anyone know? :-)

  5. Re: Virus Protection Not Needed?

    Patrick wrote:

    > I've seen a number of messages saying that with Linux or Ubuntu virus
    > protection is not needed. However, my WinXP system was just trashed by

    Theoretical examples of Linux viruses exist. None in the wild.

    > a trogen horse virus. Since I always use Verizon security suite with my
    > WinXP, I wonder if the virus came in through the Ubuntu system which did
    > not have a virus protection. My computer vendor had to re-format both

    Is the Ubuntu machine your mailserver for your windows machine ? If so, it
    would simply hand off any emails that come through without checking for
    windows viruses unless you have some special scanning software installed on
    the mailserver.

    If it is simply your router, then yes, the virus, and every other packet
    meant for your windows machine will go through. The problem then lies with
    the fact that you are using windows.

    Most ISP's use hardware routers that run some kind of a real time OS which
    is usually linux. Would you blame your ISP if you picked up a virus on the
    net ?

    Just like you cannot blame the plate manufacturer if you insist on eating
    rotten food in a clean plate, you cannot blame installations of other OS'es
    if you insist on using windows.

    What happened to you is bad, but it is an inevitable result of using
    substandard software.

    > hard drives in order to make sure that the virus was wiped out, none of
    > their programs would remove it. My system was a dual-boot system and I
    > shared files between Ubuntu and WinXP. The only way that I can figure

    I see.

    Do Ubuntu and windows share any partitions (like a fat32 partition that both
    OS'es write to) ? If so, it is possible you downloaded a virus using ubuntu
    and windows got infected later when you tried to run the infected program.

    If they do not share partitions, what you are saying is impossible as they
    are not even on at the same time.

    > out is that the virus came in through the Ubuntu system and when I used
    > WinXP it trashed my boot sector and various files through out the two
    > hard disks. I have scanned my two external hard drives that I use for
    > backups and they are clean, so can reclaim most of my data.

    A properly set up dual boot system will not have boot sector problems unless
    you tried to update windows in any major way (like a version upgrade).
    Windows in that case could muck up the boot sector and make your Ubuntu
    installation unbootable. But nothing (short of hardware failures) I can
    think of will do what you a describing.

    It is certain that your windows anti-virus suite did not catch the
    infection. Most up to date windows anti-virus suites do a reasonable job of
    protecting the OS, but there is only so much you can do with such an
    inferior OS. Some things always get through, especially if you are one of
    the first victims of a new worm or virus.

    > When I put Ubuntu back on my system, I'll have to also install a virus
    > protection software, what would be a good one to use? I've seen a

    That is like asking for a good air filtration system to filter out air from
    earth if you live on the space station. Or asking what brand of
    refrigerator is best if you live in Antarctica.

    You do not need an anti-virus for Ubuntu by itself (yes, I know a growing
    number of companies are trying to exploit linux newbies like you fresh from
    the windows world, by offering anti-virus programs for linux - all they do
    is steal your CPU cycles - install a firewall and keep your linux software
    up to date and you have nothing to worry about.).

    You do need an anti-virus for a mailserver running on Ubuntu (or any other
    version of linux) if it has clients that windows and you want an extra
    layer of protection for those clients. Which you don't.

    > couple of posts suggesting rkhunter or Free AVG Linus antivirus.
    > Looking for one that does a good job and is easy to install as my Linux
    > expertise is limited.

    It appears that your windows expertise is even more limited. Invest in a
    better windows anti-virus suite and cross your fingers while doing regular
    backups. Or better, get rid of windows and use Crossover Linux for the few
    apps you need (if they are supported).

  6. Re: Virus Protection Not Needed?

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 18:57:33 +0000, propman wrote:

    > Hmmmm....not running any virus stuff on the linux installs here either
    > yet but the thought just crossed my mind......do the linux virus
    > scanners only scan for applicable linux based virii or do they also scan
    > for rascals that only affect, say, windows systems?
    >
    > Anyone know? :-)

    ClamAV actually uses Windows antivirus information. SO it isn't actually
    scanning for any known or unknown Linux viruses. It would scan your data
    for known Windows viruses. Hope that helps.

    Lee

  7. Re: Virus Protection Not Needed?

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 14:12:27 -0400, Patrick wrote:
    > I've seen a number of messages saying that with Linux or Ubuntu virus
    > protection is not needed.

    Yes. I will agree with that to a point. AV vendors have a hard time
    selling AV packages to linux users. Virus/malware use exploits in the
    software. Generally speaking, anytime an exploit is found on linux it
    is patched pretty quick.
    Micro$oft will get around to working on exploits when they are running
    around on the web.

    Malware writers go after unpatched systems within about 48 hours after
    a patch is released. Keep your system up to date before surfing the
    web and you are going to be pretty safe.

    Last stats I saw was less than 1000 total for linux/unix
    systems. Where as AV vendors get about 600 virus/malware to wade
    through daily. Couple of articles suggested AV vendors are running
    about 4 to 6 weeks behind the malware writers.

    > However, my WinXP system was just trashed by a trogen horse virus.
    > Since I always use Verizon security suite with my WinXP, I wonder if
    > the virus came in through the Ubuntu system which did not have a
    > virus protection.

    I would suggest infection was caught while using the windows system.
    Saw an article last week where a testing outfit tested AV software
    against 300 exploits. Best of Breed caught 64. :-(

    > My computer vendor had to re-format both
    > hard drives in order to make sure that the virus was wiped out, none of
    > their programs would remove it. My system was a dual-boot system and I
    > shared files between Ubuntu and WinXP. The only way that I can figure
    > out is that the virus came in through the Ubuntu system and when I used
    > WinXP it trashed my boot sector and various files through out the two
    > hard disks. I have scanned my two external hard drives that I use for
    > backups and they are clean, so can reclaim most of my data.

    Scanner can only find malware it knows about. News stuff will go right
    back in. :-(

    > When I put Ubuntu back on my system, I'll have to also install a virus
    > protection software,

    If dual boot, not much help there. clamv, spamassassin would be used
    to check email for malware in email messages usually sent onto doze
    users.

    Since just about everyone is running a software or hardware or both,
    crackers are going after the apps running on a system. Malware is
    hiding in flash, pdf, gif, MP3, WMA, WMV, MP2,... files.

    Ubuntu does not have a blocking firewall running. Since all services
    are off, that is not a problem. Once you start enabling services that
    can be accessed from the web your exposure goes up.

    If you have more than one pc on your lan, you need to have a software
    firewall running to protect yourself from the other pc.

    Crackers are going after routers to poke holes in it's firewall
    or change dns servers.

    Besides putting malware on web sites they have been cracking ad
    servers so any web page with ads can not be trusted.

    To be safer on doze, you need to run third part apps like thunderbird
    and firefox. I can recommend privoxy to block ads and noscript addon
    to block java* and more protection from click jacking.

    You might want to look through here
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...c4674ee714a691

  8. Re: Virus Protection Not Needed?

    propman schreef:
    > Mike Bleiweiss wrote in
    >
    >> On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 14:12:27 -0400, Patrick wrote:
    >>
    >>> When I put Ubuntu back on my system, I'll have to also install a
    >>> virus
    >>> protection software, what would be a good one to use? I've seen a
    >>> couple of posts suggesting rkhunter or Free AVG Linus antivirus.
    >>> Looking for one that does a good job and is easy to install as my
    >>> Linux expertise is limited.

    > ......or automatic virus scan on the windows side each time a file is
    > transfered from the linux side?
    >

    >> I very highly doubt the virus "came in through the Ubuntu system".

    > A file is a file....can be transfer onto the windows system

    Sure, but a virus will only infect (even) a Windows system by being
    executed, just copying it onto a Windows disk does not pose much of a
    problem, when such a file is copied from Linux to Windows and tries to
    replace an existing file you'd be warned.
    Of course there are little nasties like auto-execute (.inf etc.) files
    in the C: root of Windows that might be executed without your
    interference upon booting Windows.

    >> And if it did, there's no way the virus would have been able to mount
    >> your windows partition and infect a binary.

    > Doesn't have to........it however could be run from the windows side
    > after being transfered from the ubuntu side (think separate systems or
    > dual boot)
    >

    >> However - if you're looking for AV protection for Ubuntu, you'll want
    >> to install ClamAV. It should be there in Add/Remove Software - just
    >> do a search for "clam". Another package that's available is F-Prot
    >> for Linux, you'll have to get it from the manufacturer's website.
    >>
    >> Linux is not "virus-proof", but the chances of getting a virus on
    >> Linux are pretty slim. I've never run AV protection on my linux boxes
    >> for years and years and haven't had a problem yet.

    > Hmmmm....not running any virus stuff on the linux installs here either
    > yet but the thought just crossed my mind......do the linux virus
    > scanners only scan for applicable linux based virii or do they also scan
    > for rascals that only affect, say, windows systems?
    >
    > Anyone know? :-)

    They scan for -known- viruses and by that virtue exclusively for Windows
    (MS) viruses.
    Thanks Bill

  9. Re: Virus Protection Not Needed?

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 14:12:27 -0400, Patrick wrote:

    > I've seen a number of messages saying that with Linux or Ubuntu virus
    > protection is not needed. However, my WinXP system was just trashed by
    > a trogen horse virus. Since I always use Verizon security suite with my
    > WinXP, I wonder if the virus came in through the Ubuntu system which did
    > not have a virus protection. My computer vendor had to re-format both
    > hard drives in order to make sure that the virus was wiped out, none of
    > their programs would remove it. My system was a dual-boot system and I
    > shared files between Ubuntu and WinXP. The only way that I can figure
    > out is that the virus came in through the Ubuntu system and when I used
    > WinXP it trashed my boot sector and various files through out the two
    > hard disks. I have scanned my two external hard drives that I use for
    > backups and they are clean, so can reclaim most of my data.
    >
    > When I put Ubuntu back on my system, I'll have to also install a virus
    > protection software, what would be a good one to use? I've seen a
    > couple of posts suggesting rkhunter or Free AVG Linus antivirus.
    > Looking for one that does a good job and is easy to install as my Linux
    > expertise is limited.

    Most Linux anti-virus software is intended to prevent propagation of
    Windows viruses on a hybrid Linux/Windows network. It sounds like that
    might be helpful to you.

    When you say "trogen [sic] horse virus", it sounds like you ran a binary
    on your WinXP system that then caused the infection. Incoming data can be
    scanned by a Linux system to look for known (Windows) virus signatures,
    but it would probably be better to use a Windows AV program on any
    software you download to be run under Windows.

    --
    MarkA
    Keeper of the Butter Dish of Balshazar

  10. Re: Virus Protection Not Needed?

    "Lee A. Wentzel" wrote in

    > On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 18:57:33 +0000, propman wrote:
    >
    >> Hmmmm....not running any virus stuff on the linux installs here
    >> either yet but the thought just crossed my mind......do the linux
    >> virus scanners only scan for applicable linux based virii or do they
    >> also scan for rascals that only affect, say, windows systems?
    >>
    >> Anyone know? :-)

    > ClamAV actually uses Windows antivirus information. SO it isn't
    > actually scanning for any known or unknown Linux viruses. It would
    > scan your data for known Windows viruses. Hope that helps.
    >
    > Lee

    Cheers for the update, Lee....am going to do a bit more research on this
    topic too. :-)

  11. Re: Virus Protection Not Needed?

    "Dirk T. Verbeek" wrote in

    > propman schreef:
    >> Mike Bleiweiss wrote in

    >> ......or automatic virus scan on the windows side each time a file is
    >> transfered from the linux side?
    >>

    >>> I very highly doubt the virus "came in through the Ubuntu system".

    >> A file is a file....can be transfer onto the windows system

    > Sure, but a virus will only infect (even) a Windows system by being
    > executed, just copying it onto a Windows disk does not pose much of a
    > problem, when such a file is copied from Linux to Windows and tries to
    > replace an existing file you'd be warned.
    > Of course there are little nasties like auto-execute (.inf etc.) files
    > in the C: root of Windows that might be executed without your
    > interference upon booting Windows.
    >>
    >>> And if it did, there's no way the virus would have been able to
    >>> mount your windows partition and infect a binary.

    >> Doesn't have to........it however could be run from the windows side
    >> after being transfered from the ubuntu side (think separate systems
    >> or dual boot)

    Guess you missed this part of my post when replying. :-)

    >>> However - if you're looking for AV protection for Ubuntu, you'll
    >>> want to install ClamAV. It should be there in Add/Remove Software -
    >>> just do a search for "clam". Another package that's available is
    >>> F-Prot for Linux, you'll have to get it from the manufacturer's
    >>> website.
    >>>
    >>> Linux is not "virus-proof", but the chances of getting a virus on
    >>> Linux are pretty slim. I've never run AV protection on my linux
    >>> boxes for years and years and haven't had a problem yet.

    >> Hmmmm....not running any virus stuff on the linux installs here
    >> either yet but the thought just crossed my mind......do the linux
    >> virus scanners only scan for applicable linux based virii or do they
    >> also scan for rascals that only affect, say, windows systems?
    >>
    >> Anyone know? :-)

    > They scan for -known- viruses and by that virtue exclusively for
    > Windows (MS) viruses.

    There are "known" linux viruses too....thanks for the reply. :-)

  12. Re: Virus Protection Not Needed?

    propman schreef:
    > "Dirk T. Verbeek" wrote in
    >
    >> propman schreef:
    >>> Mike Bleiweiss wrote in

    >>> ......or automatic virus scan on the windows side each time a file is
    >>> transfered from the linux side?

    >>> A file is a file....can be transfer onto the windows system

    >> Sure, but a virus will only infect (even) a Windows system by being
    >> executed, just copying it onto a Windows disk does not pose much of a
    >> problem, when such a file is copied from Linux to Windows and tries to
    >> replace an existing file you'd be warned.
    >> Of course there are little nasties like auto-execute (.inf etc.) files
    >> in the C: root of Windows that might be executed without your
    >> interference upon booting Windows.
    >>> Doesn't have to........it however could be run from the windows side
    >>> after being transfered from the ubuntu side (think separate systems
    >>> or dual boot)

    > Guess you missed this part of my post when replying. :-)

    But even Windows binaries don't generally execute all by them self.
    With the exception of the C: root auto exec files during boot.

    >>> Hmmmm....not running any virus stuff on the linux installs here
    >>> either yet but the thought just crossed my mind......do the linux
    >>> virus scanners only scan for applicable linux based virii or do they
    >>> also scan for rascals that only affect, say, windows systems?
    >>>
    >>> Anyone know? :-)

    >> They scan for -known- viruses and by that virtue exclusively for
    >> Windows (MS) viruses.

    > There are "known" linux viruses too....

    Sure, concepts.
    An 'owned' Linux box is not unknown, but the way they're infected is
    generally more convoluted as 'just' accidentally downloading an infected
    file.

    thanks for the reply. :-)

    No problem.

  13. Re: Virus Protection Not Needed?

    > > There are "known" linux viruses too....
    > An 'owned' Linux box is not unknown

    It's fair to say they're quite rare for the majority of users - it's
    like saying the Yangtze River Dolphin is known about - sure, it's been
    recorded (as has its' decline) and is now thought to be extinct.

    It isn't a great analogy, but like the dolphin, the odds are you'll
    have to go a long way to find one :-}

  14. Re: Virus Protection Not Needed?

    Mike Bleiweiss wrote:

    > Linux is not "virus-proof"

    To all intents and purposes, it is.

    C.

  15. Re: Virus Protection Not Needed?

    propman wrote:

    > There are "known" linux viruses too....thanks for the reply. :-)

    *None* of them work, because they all ask for permission to do anything!

    C.

  16. Re: Virus Protection Not Needed?

    In article , MarkA wrote:
    >On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 14:12:27 -0400, Patrick wrote:

    (snip)
    >When you say "trogen [sic] horse virus", it sounds like you ran a binary
    >on your WinXP system that then caused the infection. Incoming data can be
    >scanned by a Linux system to look for known (Windows) virus signatures,
    >but it would probably be better to use a Windows AV program on any
    >software you download to be run under Windows.

    Sure sounds like a classic case of wet ware error here to me. PIBKAC
    ? (problem identified between keyboard and chair).

    "Trojans" aren't viruses ... just s/w masquerading as something useful. Get
    your s/w from reputable sources, never run anything sent to you by email and
    you are 97 % there.

  17. Re: Virus Protection Not Needed?

    In article <6lncjoFd80s7U4@mid.individual.net>, cehunter@invalid.inv wrote:
    >propman wrote:
    >
    >> There are "known" linux viruses too....thanks for the reply. :-)

    >*None* of them work, because they all ask for permission to do anything!

    The ones I've heard about are all effectively trojans and have to be run by
    the user. The best one I ever saw was in someone's .sig and said something
    like ....

    Hi I am a linux virus. Please send me to 10 of your friends, then delete
    some of your system files. Thanks.

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > AV vendors have a hard time selling AV packages to linux users.

    Yes - for a few good reasons:

    The most obvious one is that anti-virus software does *nothing* useful,
    particularly under Linux. In the Windows world, it's trivially easy to
    construct a virus. When you do, you'll have months until the "anti-virus"
    snake-oil salesmen discover it and add it to their "signature" files.

    The other significant reason is that the average Linux user is rather more
    computer-savvy than any Windoze user. That's why they run Linux!

    C.

  19. Re: Virus Protection Not Needed?

    Bada bing Bruce Sinclair bada bang:
    > In article <6lncjoFd80s7U4@mid.individual.net>, cehunter@invalid.inv wrote:
    >>propman wrote:
    >>
    >>> There are "known" linux viruses too....thanks for the reply. :-)

    >>*None* of them work, because they all ask for permission to do anything!

    > The ones I've heard about are all effectively trojans and have to be run by
    > the user. The best one I ever saw was in someone's .sig and said something
    > like ....
    >
    > Hi I am a linux virus. Please send me to 10 of your friends, then delete
    > some of your system files. Thanks.

    I never realized the Boy Scout virus made it to Linux.

    Mike "honor bound to send it along" Yetto
    --
    Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitas.
    - William of Ockham

  20. Re: Virus Protection Not Needed?

    In <48f66348$0$196$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl> Dirk T. Verbeek:

    [Snip...]

    > An 'owned' Linux box is not unknown

    In about the same way that abandoned property trespass is not unknown.

    OTOH, online just seconds, and have M$ botnets all over your ass:

    Pareto Analysis: M$ is by far the dominant malware; "other" is an outlier.

    The clueful who can simply do not use M$ while online. Problem solved, and
    M$ fanbois whining about hypothetical Linux malware will please STFU.

    I toss GoogleGroup posts from gitgo (http://improve-usenet.org).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast