Virus Protection Not Needed? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Virus Protection Not Needed? - Ubuntu ; On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 01:49:53 -0700, Todd wrote: > > Oh, that is Verizon Security Suite. $6 a month for three users. > That's 36 dollars a year, for 3 users. You do know you can create a desktop ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 47 of 47

  1. Re: Virus Protection Not Needed?

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 01:49:53 -0700, Todd wrote:

    > Oh, that is Verizon Security Suite. $6 a month for three users.
    > That's 36 dollars a year, for 3 users.

    You do know you can create a desktop shortcut to a calculator?
    On my planet there are 12 months in a year.

    > Bitdefender or Kapersky (something like that). I hear that these are
    > two of the best these days.

    AV apps are running 4 to 6 weeks behind what is running around in the wild.

    For some current detection rates. click the dates here
    http://www.commtouch.com/Site/Resear...t_activity.asp

  2. Re: Virus Protection Not Needed?

    piggybacking:
    >Patrick wrote:

    >> I've seen a number of messages saying that with Linux or Ubuntu virus
    >>protection is not needed. However, my WinXP system was just trashed by
    >>a trogen horse virus. Since I always use Verizon security suite with my
    >>WinXP, I wonder if the virus came in through the Ubuntu system which did
    >>not have a virus protection.

    Linux can't be infected by a windows virius. To linux the file is
    nothing but a file. The standard linux user can't install a virius either.
    You have to set the execute bit on the file, then change to root and
    execute it. Unlike windows, linux doesn't run software from unknown
    sources automatically.

    Your problem is that windows is a piece of **** and you unwittitingly
    executed malicious code and did it while you had all file and process
    protection disabled, which is the default for windows.

    The protection is disabled so you can install software without having to think.
    It makes software instalation braindead easy and makes installing malware
    equally easy.

  3. Re: Virus Protection Not Needed?

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > AV apps are running 4 to 6 weeks behind what is running around in the wild.

    That's /slightly/ better than M$ catching up last week with the stupid RPC
    vulnerability that was reported back in 2004!

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10...icrosoft_flaw/

    C.

  4. Re: Virus Protection Not Needed?

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 15:54:59 +0000, Christopher Hunter wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    >> AV apps are running 4 to 6 weeks behind what is running around in the wild.

    > That's /slightly/ better than M$ catching up last week with the stupid RPC
    > vulnerability that was reported back in 2004!

    Yep, and Micro$not used to have a pretty bad track record about
    getting around to doing a fix. Take a look here
    http://research.eeye.com/html/alerts/zeroday/index.html

  5. Re: Virus Protection Not Needed?

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 08:27:57 -0400, Beauregard T. Shagnasty
    wrote:

    > Todd wrote:
    >
    >> Oh, that is Verizon Security Suite. $6 a month for three users.
    >> That's 36 dollars a year, for 3 users. That's about half the price
    >> of Norton.

    > The hotline for your math teacher can be found in the blue pages of your
    > telephone directory under "Schools" ... ;-)

    Hmm ... Actual class contact weeks each semester amounted to just 13, last
    time I was teaching; at two semesters per year, that's 26 weeks, or just
    about 6 months. So, @ $6/month, that comes to $36 for the year. Got a
    problem with that? ;-)

    Cheers, -- tlvp

  6. Re: Virus Protection Not Needed?

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 01:49:53 -0700, Todd wrote:

    > Patrick wrote:
    >
    >> I've seen a number of messages saying that with Linux or Ubuntu

    virus
    >>protection is not needed. However, my WinXP system was just trashed by
    >>a trogen horse virus. Since I always use Verizon security suite with my
    >>WinXP, I wonder if the virus came in through the Ubuntu system which did
    >>not have a virus protection.

    > Verizon Security Suite? What the heck is Verizon Security Suite?
    >
    > Oh, that is Verizon Security Suite. $6 a month for three users. That's
    > 36 dollars a year, for 3 users. That's about half the price of Norton.

    You also cant count 6*6 is 36, which would be $36 for 6 months, not a
    year.

    A year would be 12*6 making $72 for 3 people.

  7. Re: Virus Protection Not Needed?

    Patrick schrieb:
    > I've seen a number of messages saying that with Linux or Ubuntu
    > virus protection is not needed. However, my WinXP system was just
    > trashed by a trogen horse virus. Since I always use Verizon security
    > suite with my WinXP, I wonder if the virus came in through the Ubuntu
    > system which did not have a virus protection. My computer vendor had to
    > re-format both hard drives in order to make sure that the virus was
    > wiped out, none of their programs would remove it. My system was a
    > dual-boot system and I shared files between Ubuntu and WinXP. The only
    > way that I can figure out is that the virus came in through the Ubuntu
    > system and when I used WinXP it trashed my boot sector and various files
    > through out the two hard disks. I have scanned my two external hard
    > drives that I use for backups and they are clean, so can reclaim most of
    > my data.
    >
    > When I put Ubuntu back on my system, I'll have to also install a
    > virus protection software, what would be a good one to use? I've seen a
    > couple of posts suggesting rkhunter or Free AVG Linus antivirus. Looking
    > for one that does a good job and is easy to install as my Linux
    > expertise is limited.

    There' s a proggie that recognizes Windows virus/trojans all that stuff
    in linux partition, but I don' t know the exact name. Maybe you should
    google "Linux Virus Scanner" or something.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3