iSeries Access on Ubuntu - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on iSeries Access on Ubuntu - Ubuntu ; Trying to get the iSeries Access software to run on Ubuntu 8.04. Downloaded the software off of IBM's website. Found a website with instructions on how to go about installing it. I am pretty much 95% there, but it still ...

  1. iSeries Access on Ubuntu

    Trying to get the iSeries Access software to run on Ubuntu 8.04.
    Downloaded the software off of IBM's website. Found a website with
    instructions on how to go about installing it. I am pretty much 95%
    there, but it still isn't launching. The website with the instructions
    is at:

    http://abhver.blogspot.com/2008/02/i...ess-for-linux-
    ubuntu-704.html

    I've converted the iSeriesAccess RPM to a DEB per in the instructions. I
    have done the "sudo apt-get install libmotif3" per the instructions.
    Created the handy dandy launcher per the instructions... but it didn't
    work. So... going into to terminal entered the following:

    cd /opt/ibm/iSeriesAccess/bin/
    ../setup5250

    I am getting the following information.

    setup5250: [ INFORMATIONAL ]: Build Date: March 2008 (1.6)
    setup5250: [ INFORMATIONAL ]: ./setup5250
    setup5250: [ ERROR ]: Xt Warning: locale not supported by C library,
    locale unchanged.
    setup5250: [ ERROR ]: Xt Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet
    conversion.
    Segmentation fault

    I tried running it as sudo with the same results. So, not sure what I am
    missing. Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks! Lee

  2. Re: iSeries Access on Ubuntu

    On Ubuntu Forums found the following link for a good working Debian file
    for iSeries Access.

    http://ngbnet.homelinux.com/reposito...linux/ibm5250/
    iseriesaccess_5.4.0-2.4_i386.deb

    The actual forum page is at:

    In case anyone else needs to get this software working.

    Lee

  3. Re: iSeries Access on Ubuntu

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 12:06:39 +0000, Lee A. Wentzel wrote:

    > Trying to get the iSeries Access software to run on Ubuntu 8.04.
    > Downloaded the software off of IBM's website. Found a website with
    > instructions on how to go about installing it. I am pretty much 95%
    > there, but it still isn't launching. The website with the instructions
    > is at:
    >
    > http://abhver.blogspot.com/2008/02/i...ess-for-linux-
    > ubuntu-704.html
    >
    > I've converted the iSeriesAccess RPM to a DEB per in the instructions. I
    > have done the "sudo apt-get install libmotif3" per the instructions.
    > Created the handy dandy launcher per the instructions... but it didn't
    > work. So... going into to terminal entered the following:
    >
    > cd /opt/ibm/iSeriesAccess/bin/
    > ./setup5250
    >
    > I am getting the following information.
    >
    > setup5250: [ INFORMATIONAL ]: Build Date: March 2008 (1.6)
    > setup5250: [ INFORMATIONAL ]: ./setup5250
    > setup5250: [ ERROR ]: Xt Warning: locale not supported by C library,
    > locale unchanged.
    > setup5250: [ ERROR ]: Xt Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet
    > conversion.
    > Segmentation fault
    >
    > I tried running it as sudo with the same results. So, not sure what I am
    > missing. Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks! Lee

    I've been using 'tn5250' for years without a problem. I'm not sure what
    added features you get with iSeriesAccess, but apparently I can live
    without them.

    --
    MarkA
    Keeper of the Butter Dish of Balshazar

  4. Re: iSeries Access on Ubuntu

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 16:11:31 -0400, MarkA wrote:

    > I've been using 'tn5250' for years without a problem. I'm not sure what
    > added features you get with iSeriesAccess, but apparently I can live
    > without them.

    I actually tried that. The problem I was having was I was unable to use
    the Shift Function keys. Which my work uses a lot. The Linux version of
    iSeriesAccess gives me some functionality which I don't have with my
    Windows version.

    Thanks.
    Lee

+ Reply to Thread