samba shares - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on samba shares - Ubuntu ; Hi all, Where does ubuntu mount samba shares? I have Ubuntu connected to a Windows share. I can see the share when I click on places->home (nautilus). However, when I open up an application (wavbreaker), I go to the open ...

  1. samba shares

    Hi all,

    Where does ubuntu mount samba shares?

    I have Ubuntu connected to a Windows share. I can see the share when I click
    on places->home (nautilus). However, when I open up an application
    (wavbreaker), I go to the open file dialog, and I do not see my share listed
    on the left side of the gui as I do with nautilus.

    So, what I have been doing is going back to the nautilus, pointing to the
    share and then copying the file (large) to my Ubuntu desktop so the app can
    access it. It's rather slow, and I like to be able to access the Windows
    file through the share from within my Ubuntu application (wavbreaker).

    Is there a way do this? Is this done by finding the "mount point" of the
    share?

    Thanks in advance.

    PS. Apologies if this was posted twice.

  2. Re: samba shares

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 19:47:21 -0400
    "Daniel" wrote:
    > Where does ubuntu mount samba shares?
    >
    > I have Ubuntu connected to a Windows share. I can see the share when
    > I click on places->home (nautilus). However, when I open up an
    > application (wavbreaker), I go to the open file dialog, and I do not
    > see my share listed on the left side of the gui as I do with nautilus.

    When you are browsing a Windows network with Nautilus, it is using
    GNOME's built-in ability to access SMB/CIFS shares on the network.
    Nautilus uses GnomeVFS (at least in most released versions of Ubuntu)
    to access these shares, and so there is no mount point.

    A new system was introduced with GNOME 2.22 (well, two new systems, GIO
    and GVFS). GIO/GVFS provides the ability to use applications that are
    not aware of GnomeVFS/GIO/GVFS to access filesystems that are mounted
    using a FUSE mountpoint in your home directory (~/.gvfs is where those
    virtual filesystems appear). I never checked in Hardy to see if
    Nautilus puts things there when browing the network, but I know that at
    least it does in Intrepid, which uses GNOME 2.24 (and is still in beta).

    You can easily check to see if it works this way, though: Just browse
    your network and open up a filesystem on it, and then in a terminal,
    type:

    cd ~/.gvfs
    ls -l

    If your version of Nautilus is using all the new GIO/GVFS stuff, you
    should see a filesystem exported there that you can use with classic
    applications; you can browse it with the shell and use programs from
    the shell on those virtual filesystems.

    To make it easier for you, you may want to create a symbolic link to
    the .gvfs directory, since by default hidden files are not shown when
    looking for things. You can easily do this, as well, in a terminal run:

    ln -s .gvfs GVFS

    Then you'll have a link that is visible when browsing the filesystem,
    and you can easily work with files in there.

    HTH,
    Mike

    --
    My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.