Linux/Ubuntu: How to setup Ubuntu print server - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Linux/Ubuntu: How to setup Ubuntu print server - Ubuntu ; Michael B. Trausch wrote: > On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 22:12:47 -0400 > caver1 wrote: > >> I found having NFS installed made printing from windows to a printer >> on Linux easier. > > I assume use were using ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 50 of 50

  1. Re: Linux/Ubuntu: How to setup Ubuntu print server

    Michael B. Trausch wrote:
    > On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 22:12:47 -0400
    > caver1 wrote:
    >
    >> I found having NFS installed made printing from windows to a printer
    >> on Linux easier.

    > I assume use were using Windows Services for UNIX to make that
    > possible? NFS is a protocol of UNIX origin...
    >
    > --- Mike

    Yes I cleared that up stating NFS with Windows NFS Client in second post.
    caver1

  2. Re: Linux/Ubuntu: How to setup Ubuntu print server

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 04:37:35 -0700, Adam wrote:

    > Adam wrote:
    >> MarkA wrote:

    >>> Is the printer name correct? Use a terminal window to look at the file,
    >>> "/etc/cups/printers.conf" (you need root privileges). If it doesn't say
    >>> , you have the name wrong.
    >>>

    >> "/etc/cups/printers.conf" contains ...
    >>

    > # Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.3.7
    > # Written by cupsd on 2008-10-14 13:21
    >
    > Info
    > Location desktop
    > DeviceURI parallel:/dev/lp0
    > State Idle
    > StateTime 1224015696
    > Accepting Yes
    > Shared Yes
    > JobSheets none none
    > QuotaPeriod 0
    > PageLimit 0
    > KLimit 0
    > OpPolicy default
    > ErrorPolicy retry-job
    >

    > Info PDF
    > DeviceURI cups-pdf:/
    > State Idle
    > StateTime 1214994123
    > Accepting Yes
    > Shared No
    > JobSheets none none
    > QuotaPeriod 0
    > PageLimit 0
    > KLimit 0
    > OpPolicy default
    > ErrorPolicy retry-job

    It appears that everything is correct on the Linux end. Now the trick is
    to get XP to see it.

    I just set up an XP to print to a CUPS server in my office. Yesterday, it
    wouldn't work; today it worked without a hitch. You could always try the
    XP cure-all: reboot often.

    XP would not find the CUPS server by hostname alone. I had to either use
    the FQDN, or enter the IP address: http://192.168.1.5:631/printers/lp0
    As I said, yesterday it would say "Could not complete...." Today, it
    worked fine. Go figure.

    --
    MarkA
    Keeper of Things Put There Only Just The Night Before

  3. Re: Linux/Ubuntu: How to setup Ubuntu print server

    "MarkA" wrote in message newsan.2008.10.17.12.13.01.716236@nowhere.com...
    > On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 04:37:35 -0700, Adam wrote:
    >
    > > Adam wrote:

    > >> "/etc/cups/printers.conf" contains ...
    > >>

    > > # Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.3.7
    > > # Written by cupsd on 2008-10-14 13:21
    > >
    > > Info
    > > Location desktop
    > > DeviceURI parallel:/dev/lp0
    > > State Idle
    > > StateTime 1224015696
    > > Accepting Yes
    > > Shared Yes
    > > JobSheets none none
    > > QuotaPeriod 0
    > > PageLimit 0
    > > KLimit 0
    > > OpPolicy default
    > > ErrorPolicy retry-job
    > >

    > > Info PDF
    > > DeviceURI cups-pdf:/
    > > State Idle
    > > StateTime 1214994123
    > > Accepting Yes
    > > Shared No
    > > JobSheets none none
    > > QuotaPeriod 0
    > > PageLimit 0
    > > KLimit 0
    > > OpPolicy default
    > > ErrorPolicy retry-job
    > >

    > It appears that everything is correct on the Linux end. Now the trick is
    > to get XP to see it.
    >
    > I just set up an XP to print to a CUPS server in my office. Yesterday, it
    > wouldn't work; today it worked without a hitch. You could always try the
    > XP cure-all: reboot often.
    >
    > XP would not find the CUPS server by hostname alone. I had to either use
    > the FQDN, or enter the IP address: http://192.168.1.5:631/printers/lp0
    > As I said, yesterday it would say "Could not complete...." Today, it
    > worked fine. Go figure.
    >
    > --
    > MarkA
    > Keeper of Things Put There Only Just The Night Before
    > About eight o'clock

    Yeah, same here ... the Ubuntu print server does not show up consistently on
    the Windows Network Neighborhood. I was able to "Print Test Page" via
    http://192.168.1.101:631/printers/HP_LaserJet_5 from Firefox. But,
    "Add Printer" still cannot locate the Ubuntu print server consistently.
    I'm finding CUPS-IPP too frustrating to get working with Win98SE.
    [http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,162213,00.asp was helpful.]
    Other than Windows Update, is there another way to verify that
    "Internet Print Service" is installed on Win98SE?

    I'm about to give up on CUPS-IPP for now and look into Samba instead.

  4. Re: Linux/Ubuntu: How to setup Ubuntu print server

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 16:32:55 -0700, Adam wrote:

    > "MarkA" wrote in message newsan.2008.10.17.12.13.01.716236@nowhere.com...

    >> > # Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.3.7
    >> > # Written by cupsd on 2008-10-14 13:21
    >> >
    >> > Info
    >> > Location desktop
    >> > DeviceURI parallel:/dev/lp0
    >> > State Idle
    >> > StateTime 1224015696
    >> > Accepting Yes
    >> > Shared Yes
    >> > JobSheets none none
    >> > QuotaPeriod 0
    >> > PageLimit 0
    >> > KLimit 0
    >> > OpPolicy default
    >> > ErrorPolicy retry-job
    >> >

    >> > Info PDF
    >> > DeviceURI cups-pdf:/
    >> > State Idle
    >> > StateTime 1214994123
    >> > Accepting Yes
    >> > Shared No
    >> > JobSheets none none
    >> > QuotaPeriod 0
    >> > PageLimit 0
    >> > KLimit 0
    >> > OpPolicy default
    >> > ErrorPolicy retry-job
    >> >

    >> It appears that everything is correct on the Linux end. Now the trick is
    >> to get XP to see it.
    >>
    >> I just set up an XP to print to a CUPS server in my office. Yesterday, it
    >> wouldn't work; today it worked without a hitch. You could always try the
    >> XP cure-all: reboot often.
    >>
    >> XP would not find the CUPS server by hostname alone. I had to either use
    >> the FQDN, or enter the IP address: http://192.168.1.5:631/printers/lp0
    >> As I said, yesterday it would say "Could not complete...." Today, it
    >> worked fine. Go figure.
    >>
    >> --
    >> MarkA
    >> Keeper of Things Put There Only Just The Night Before
    >> About eight o'clock
    >>

    > Yeah, same here ... the Ubuntu print server does not show up consistently on
    > the Windows Network Neighborhood. I was able to "Print Test Page" via
    > http://192.168.1.101:631/printers/HP_LaserJet_5 from Firefox. But,
    > "Add Printer" still cannot locate the Ubuntu print server consistently.
    > I'm finding CUPS-IPP too frustrating to get working with Win98SE.
    > [http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,162213,00.asp was helpful.]
    > Other than Windows Update, is there another way to verify that
    > "Internet Print Service" is installed on Win98SE?
    >
    > I'm about to give up on CUPS-IPP for now and look into Samba instead.

    If you want your Linux box to show up in Network Neighborhood, you have to
    have Samba running. There is a nice explanation of how Network
    Neighborhood browsing works somewhere out there in cyberspace; I read it a
    while ago.

    I'm pretty sure that Win98SE doesn't support IPP. If there is some add-on
    that allows it, that's great. However, I think your best bet would be to
    get a good bootleg copy of XP Pro Corporate Edition (no call M$ to
    activate) off Pirate Bay. XP is way better than 98 (or Vista, for that
    matter).

    --
    MarkA
    Keeper of the Butter Dish of Balshazar

  5. Re: Linux/Ubuntu: How to setup Ubuntu print server

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 16:32:55 -0700, Adam wrote:

    > Yeah, same here ... the Ubuntu print server does not show up consistently on
    > the Windows Network Neighborhood. I was able to "Print Test Page" via
    > http://192.168.1.101:631/printers/HP_LaserJet_5 from Firefox. But,
    > "Add Printer" still cannot locate the Ubuntu print server consistently.
    > I'm finding CUPS-IPP too frustrating to get working with Win98SE.
    > [http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,162213,00.asp was helpful.]
    > Other than Windows Update, is there another way to verify that
    > "Internet Print Service" is installed on Win98SE?
    >
    > I'm about to give up on CUPS-IPP for now and look into Samba instead.

    I've noticed similar behavior here as well and I'm running XP on the other
    machines!
    Sometimes it works fine, other times it doesn't see the printer or if it
    does see the printer, the job goes out in space somewhere.

    Very weird.

  6. Re: Linux/Ubuntu: How to setup Ubuntu print server

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 16:32:55 -0700, Adam wrote:
    >

    >> Yeah, same here ... the Ubuntu print server does not show up consistently on
    >> the Windows Network Neighborhood. I was able to "Print Test Page" via
    >> http://192.168.1.101:631/printers/HP_LaserJet_5 from Firefox. But,
    >> "Add Printer" still cannot locate the Ubuntu print server consistently.
    >> I'm finding CUPS-IPP too frustrating to get working with Win98SE.
    >> [http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,162213,00.asp was helpful.]
    >> Other than Windows Update, is there another way to verify that
    >> "Internet Print Service" is installed on Win98SE?
    >>
    >> I'm about to give up on CUPS-IPP for now and look into Samba instead.

    > I've noticed similar behavior here as well and I'm running XP on the other
    > machines!
    > Sometimes it works fine, other times it doesn't see the printer or if it
    > does see the printer, the job goes out in space somewhere.
    >
    > Very weird.

    I had the same problems with sometimes the printer is here and sometimes
    it's not.
    So I tried NFS and haven't had to look back. Just had to load the
    printer driver on the XP box.
    Still like samba better for file transfer.
    caver1

  7. Re: Linux/Ubuntu: How to setup Ubuntu print server

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 20:59:49 -0400, MarkA wrote:

    > On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 16:32:55 -0700, Adam wrote:

    >>> It appears that everything is correct on the Linux end. Now the trick is
    >>> to get XP to see it.
    >>>
    >>> I just set up an XP to print to a CUPS server in my office. Yesterday, it
    >>> wouldn't work; today it worked without a hitch. You could always try the
    >>> XP cure-all: reboot often.
    >>>
    >>> XP would not find the CUPS server by hostname alone. I had to either use
    >>> the FQDN, or enter the IP address: http://192.168.1.5:631/printers/lp0
    >>> As I said, yesterday it would say "Could not complete...." Today, it
    >>> worked fine. Go figure.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> MarkA
    >>> Keeper of Things Put There Only Just The Night Before
    >>> About eight o'clock
    >>>

    >> Yeah, same here ... the Ubuntu print server does not show up consistently on
    >> the Windows Network Neighborhood. I was able to "Print Test Page" via
    >> http://192.168.1.101:631/printers/HP_LaserJet_5 from Firefox. But,
    >> "Add Printer" still cannot locate the Ubuntu print server consistently.
    >> I'm finding CUPS-IPP too frustrating to get working with Win98SE.
    >> [http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,162213,00.asp was helpful.]
    >> Other than Windows Update, is there another way to verify that
    >> "Internet Print Service" is installed on Win98SE?
    >>
    >> I'm about to give up on CUPS-IPP for now and look into Samba instead.

    > If you want your Linux box to show up in Network Neighborhood, you have to
    > have Samba running. There is a nice explanation of how Network
    > Neighborhood browsing works somewhere out there in cyberspace; I read it a
    > while ago.

    Here's the URL:

    http://www.linux-mag.com/id/785

    You have to register (it's worth it), and the article is a bit technical,
    but it will give you some insight into how NN works, and why it can be so
    quirky.

    --
    MarkA
    Keeper of Things Put There Only Just The Night Before
    About eight o'clock

  8. Re: Linux/Ubuntu: How to setup Ubuntu print server

    MarkA wrote:
    > On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 16:32:55 -0700, Adam wrote:
    >
    >> "MarkA" wrote in message newsan.2008.10.17.12.13.01.716236@nowhere.com...
    >>> On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 04:37:35 -0700, Adam wrote:
    >>>

    >> Yeah, same here ... the Ubuntu print server does not show up consistently on
    >> the Windows Network Neighborhood. I was able to "Print Test Page" via
    >> http://192.168.1.101:631/printers/HP_LaserJet_5 from Firefox. But,
    >> "Add Printer" still cannot locate the Ubuntu print server consistently.
    >> I'm finding CUPS-IPP too frustrating to get working with Win98SE.
    >> [http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,162213,00.asp was helpful.]
    >> Other than Windows Update, is there another way to verify that
    >> "Internet Print Service" is installed on Win98SE?
    >>
    >> I'm about to give up on CUPS-IPP for now and look into Samba instead.

    > If you want your Linux box to show up in Network Neighborhood, you have to
    > have Samba running. There is a nice explanation of how Network
    > Neighborhood browsing works somewhere out there in cyberspace; I read it a
    > while ago.
    >
    > I'm pretty sure that Win98SE doesn't support IPP. If there is some add-on
    > that allows it, that's great. However, I think your best bet would be to
    > get a good bootleg copy of XP Pro Corporate Edition (no call M$ to
    > activate) off Pirate Bay. XP is way better than 98 (or Vista, for that
    > matter).

    Install yet another OS? Aiya!
    I'll never get any work done. But, I'm considering it.

    Anyways, the following URL ...
    http://www.linux-mag.com/id/474
    has an article about accessing Linux resources from Windows.
    And, the following URL ...
    http://www.jonathanmoeller.com/screed/?p=224
    shows how to configure Samba for sharing without user/password.
    I'm trying to do a combination of both but something is not right.

    Using SWAT, why do I see only these buttons (HOME, STATUS, VIEW and
    PASSWORD) while the following URL ...
    http://www.linux-mag.com/images/2000...newbies_05.jpg
    shows additional buttons (GLOBALS, SHARES, PRINTERS and Commit Changes)?

    Here's a brief view of my http://localhost:901/viewconfig ...

    Current Config

    # Samba config file created using SWAT
    # from 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1)
    # Date: 2008/10/20 11:15:13

    [global]
    server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
    interfaces = lo, eth0
    bind interfaces only = Yes
    security = SHARE
    map to guest = Bad User
    obey pam restrictions = Yes
    passdb backend = tdbsam
    pam password change = Yes
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n
    *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
    unix password sync = Yes
    syslog = 0
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 1000
    printcap name = cups
    dns proxy = No
    usershare allow guests = Yes
    invalid users = root
    hosts allow = 192.168.1.

    [printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/spool/samba
    create mask = 0700
    guest ok = Yes
    printable = Yes
    browseable = No

    [print$]
    comment = Printer Drivers
    path = /var/lib/samba/printers

    Even though I set "browseable = yes" under [printers] section,
    it still shows up as "browseable = No" (above). Why?

    I also had the following problem ...
    with my /etc/hosts file. I fixed it but how can I prevent this?

    Also, am I suppose to put the workgroup from "/etc/samba/smb.conf"
    in the "Domain name:" field of Network Settings dialog's General tab?

  9. Re: Linux/Ubuntu: How to setup Ubuntu print server

    MarkA wrote:
    > On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 20:59:49 -0400, MarkA wrote:

    >>> Yeah, same here ... the Ubuntu print server does not show up consistently on
    >>> the Windows Network Neighborhood. I was able to "Print Test Page" via
    >>> http://192.168.1.101:631/printers/HP_LaserJet_5 from Firefox. But,
    >>> "Add Printer" still cannot locate the Ubuntu print server consistently.
    >>> I'm finding CUPS-IPP too frustrating to get working with Win98SE.
    >>> [http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,162213,00.asp was helpful.]
    >>> Other than Windows Update, is there another way to verify that
    >>> "Internet Print Service" is installed on Win98SE?
    >>>
    >>> I'm about to give up on CUPS-IPP for now and look into Samba instead.

    >> If you want your Linux box to show up in Network Neighborhood, you have to
    >> have Samba running. There is a nice explanation of how Network
    >> Neighborhood browsing works somewhere out there in cyberspace; I read it a
    >> while ago.

    > Here's the URL:
    >
    > http://www.linux-mag.com/id/785
    >
    > You have to register (it's worth it), and the article is a bit technical,
    > but it will give you some insight into how NN works, and why it can be so
    > quirky.

    Thanks! Looks like I found a different article from the same magazine.
    I'll go over it.

  10. Re: Linux/Ubuntu: How to setup Ubuntu print server

    Adam wrote:
    > MarkA wrote:
    >> On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 20:59:49 -0400, MarkA wrote:
    >>

    >>> If you want your Linux box to show up in Network Neighborhood, you
    >>> have to
    >>> have Samba running. There is a nice explanation of how Network
    >>> Neighborhood browsing works somewhere out there in cyberspace; I read
    >>> it a
    >>> while ago.

    >> Here's the URL:
    >>
    >> http://www.linux-mag.com/id/785
    >>
    >> You have to register (it's worth it), and the article is a bit technical,
    >> but it will give you some insight into how NN works, and why it can be so
    >> quirky.
    >>

    > Thanks! Looks like I found a different article from the same magazine.
    > I'll go over it.

    Excellent technical article. Just what I need to fill in all the
    missing background information crucial for understanding Linux/Windows
    networking. Again, thanks!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3