Linux/Ubuntu: How to setup Ubuntu print server - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Linux/Ubuntu: How to setup Ubuntu print server - Ubuntu ; "Adam" wrote in news:gd5es3$b7f$1@registered.motzarella.org: > > "propman" wrote in message > news:Xns9B3876D2E190Dpropmhotmailcom@85.214.105.20 9... >> "Adam" wrote in >> news:gd58hg$3ue$1@registered.motzarella.org: >> >> > >> > "Adam" wrote in message >> > news:gd58f6$3j1$1@registered.motzarella.org... >> > It should be a new thread. >> ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 50

  1. Re: Linux/Ubuntu: throws clock out of sync for Windows

    "Adam" wrote in

    > "propman" wrote in message
    > news:Xns9B3876D2E190Dpropmhotmailcom@85.214.105.20 9...
    >> "Adam" wrote in
    >>

    >> > "Adam" wrote in message
    >> > It should be a new thread.
    >> >

    >> It appeared here as a new thread.....but I have noticed seemingly
    >> other misplaced messages in other newsgroups....starting to wonder
    >> now if there is something wonkey with the motzarella feed somehow.
    >>

    > No, it's something that I (not motzarella) did.
    > motzarella works great.

    Ahhhh, OK thanks, Adam.....:-)

  2. Re: Linux/Ubuntu: How to setup Ubuntu print server

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 10:25:23 -0700, Adam wrote:

    >> In that case you've learned something. Samba is needed to share files and
    >> printers over a Windows Workgroup.
    >> >

    >> > Also, Places->Network File Browser shows "Windows Network" but
    >> > double-clicking comes up empty.

    >> For /****'s/ sake learn to snip!

    > Sheesh! You could be nicer about it.

    For /****'s/ sake learn to snip, *please*. Is that better?

    Seriously, though, getting Windows to print to a CUPS printer can be
    frustrating. (I've done it myself, several times). Actually, getting
    Windows and Linux to cooperate doing *anything* can be frustrating.
    as incompatible as possible>

    Did you check, under Ubuntu|System|Admin|Printing|Server Settings, that
    "Share published printers..." is checked? Ubuntu does not share its
    printers out-of-the-box; I've been stung on this before.

    --
    MarkA
    Keeper of the Butter Dish of Balshazar

  3. Re: Linux/Ubuntu: How to setup Ubuntu print server

    "MarkA" wrote in message newsan.2008.10.15.21.05.54.431517@nowhere.com...
    > On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 10:25:23 -0700, Adam wrote:
    >

    > >> For /'s/ sake learn to snip!

    > > Sheesh! You could be nicer about it.

    > For /'s/ sake learn to snip, *please*. Is that better?

    There, I snipped, is that better? ;p

    > Seriously, though, getting Windows to print to a CUPS printer can be
    > frustrating. (I've done it myself, several times). Actually, getting
    > Windows and Linux to cooperate doing *anything* can be frustrating.
    > > as incompatible as possible>
    >
    > Did you check, under Ubuntu|System|Admin|Printing|Server Settings, that
    > "Share published printers..." is checked? Ubuntu does not share its
    > printers out-of-the-box; I've been stung on this before.
    >
    > --
    > MarkA
    > Keeper of the Butter Dish of Balshazar

    Again, YES, "Share published printers connected to this system" under
    Ubuntu|System|Admin|Printing|Server Settings is checked.

  4. Re: Linux/Ubuntu: How to setup Ubuntu print server

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 03:39:11 -0400
    "Michael B. Trausch" wrote:

    > From what you said above was your printer name, try to copy and paste
    > this command first on your Windows box, though you may need to tweak
    > it a bit if it doesn't work the first time:
    >
    > rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /b "HP LJ 5 on Ubuntu" /x /n
    > "blah" /if /f %windir%\inf\ntprint.inf /r
    > "http://192.168.1.101:631/printers/HP_LaserJet_5" /m "MS
    > Publisher Imagesetter"

    Have you had any luck with this command (or the information in the

    --- Mike

    --
    My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.

  5. Re: Linux/Ubuntu: throws clock out of sync for Windows

    Harold Stevens wrote in

    > In <6lmmv9Fd2ujdU1@mid.individual.net> Thomas Jespersen:
    >
    > [Snip...]
    >
    >> Linux usually views the system clock as being UTC while Windows
    >> assumes it is Localtime.

    > I'd like to know on Kubuntu how to toggle between UTC and Local, as
    > offered during install (but not afterward, AFAICT).
    >
    > (On SuSE 10.0 it's YaST->System->Date and Time->Hardware Clock Set To)

    One way:

    /etc/default/rcS

    Edit UTC=no so it reads UTC=yes

    Or.......hold on to ya hat now! :-)

    System Settings -> Date and Time

    Look for UTC in "change timezone"

  6. Re: Linux/Ubuntu: How to setup Ubuntu print server

    "Michael B. Trausch" wrote in message news:20081015173915.325b293f@zest...
    > On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 03:39:11 -0400
    > "Michael B. Trausch" wrote:
    > >
    > > From what you said above was your printer name, try to copy and paste
    > > this command first on your Windows box, though you may need to tweak
    > > it a bit if it doesn't work the first time:
    > >
    > > rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /b "HP LJ 5 on Ubuntu" /x /n
    > > "blah" /if /f %windir%\inf\ntprint.inf /r
    > > "http://192.168.1.101:631/printers/HP_LaserJet_5" /m "MS
    > > Publisher Imagesetter"
    > >

    > Have you had any luck with this command (or the information in the
    >
    > --- Mike
    >
    > --
    > My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.

    Your post had quite a bit of information for me to digest.
    So, it's taking me longer to respond. Plus,
    I have other things I have to get done. I didn't forget.

  7. Re: Linux/Ubuntu: How to setup Ubuntu print server

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 14:44:43 -0700
    "Adam" wrote:

    > > Have you had any luck with this command (or the information in the
    > >

    > Your post had quite a bit of information for me to digest.
    > So, it's taking me longer to respond. Plus,
    > I have other things I have to get done. I didn't forget.

    No worries, was just wondering. :-)

    --- Mike

    --
    My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.

  8. Re: Linux/Ubuntu: How to setup Ubuntu print server

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 09:59:28 -0700, Adam wrote:

    > "Roland Latour" wrote in message
    >> By the way: I bet your print server got its address (192.168.1.101)
    >> from your router's DHCP service. That means it may not have that
    >> address forever, especially as you add stuff to your network. Rule of
    >> thumb: if a box is to provide ANY service to other boxes, that box
    >> should have a fixed IP address, so the other boxes can find it. You
    >> probably won't have any problem with the current setup for awhile. Fair
    >> warning!

    > Thanks for the heads up.
    > Yes, you're right about the router's DHCP service. I only have two
    > systems (desktop/server & laptop) on the network so I haven't had any IP
    > address problems yet. I just have to be sure the desktop/server is
    > powered on first. I like using DHCP, especially for the laptop, since I
    > can plug it into most any company's network. Is there a better way?

    My router is a Linksys, your mileage may vary. Its DHCP configuration
    shows it issues addresses starting at 192.168.1.100, and issues up to 50
    addresses. You can't use zero. You can't use 255, that's broadcast. You
    can't use 1, the router is already using that. So pick an address for a
    server in the range that is left: 192.168.1.{2-99,150-254}. Use Ubuntu's
    network configuration manager to assign that as a fixed IP address.
    Sorry, I can't give you details on that--I run Kubuntu.

  9. Re: Linux/Ubuntu: How to setup Ubuntu print server

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 16:23:11 -0700, Adam wrote:

    > Recently, I started my exploration into Ubuntu.
    > I turned a Windows machine into a multi-boot system by
    > adding/installing Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron.
    > There is an HP Laserjet 5 attached locally (to the parallel port).
    > After adding the HP printer in Ubuntu, local printing works.
    > I would now like to take advantage of Ubuntu's network printing support
    > by enabling Ubuntu print server capabilities so that I can print from
    > another Windows machine on the network. Googling leads me to the
    > following informative URLs ...
    >
    > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ne...tingWithUbuntu
    > http://www.funnestra.org/ubuntu/hardy/
    >
    > However, I can't add the shared printer to the Windows client.
    > When browsing for the network printer, I can see the Ubuntu host (or
    > print server?) name. But, double-clicking on it gives the following
    > message in the "Browse for Printer" dialog ...
    >
    > "\\desktop is not accessible.
    > The computer or sharename could not be found. Make sure you typed it
    > correctly, and try again."
    >
    > Where is the printer name set? Network settings show 127.0.1.1 as the
    > host IP address. Should it be something like 192.168.xxx.xxx?
    >
    > Also, how can I verify that CUPS and IPP is properly setup?

    I'm glad this topic is being discussed because this is a very confusing
    topic for most people, including me.

    Let's suppose I have my printer hung off the USB on Ubuntu, it is shared,
    everyone on earth can use it and it prints fine locally.

    It is set up using CUPS.

    EXACTLY what do I have to do in order to print from Windows machines that
    are on the same network.
    I realize I have to load the driver manually on the Windows machines, but
    then after that.

    Samba?

    Some other solution?

    Will installing Samba screw up my local CUPS setup?

    I am finding this very frustrating.

  10. Re: Linux/Ubuntu: How to setup Ubuntu print server

    Rick wrote:
    > On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 16:23:11 -0700, Adam wrote:
    >
    >> Recently, I started my exploration into Ubuntu.
    >> I turned a Windows machine into a multi-boot system by
    >> adding/installing Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron.
    >> There is an HP Laserjet 5 attached locally (to the parallel port).
    >> After adding the HP printer in Ubuntu, local printing works.
    >> I would now like to take advantage of Ubuntu's network printing support
    >> by enabling Ubuntu print server capabilities so that I can print from
    >> another Windows machine on the network. Googling leads me to the
    >> following informative URLs ...
    >>
    >> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ne...tingWithUbuntu
    >> http://www.funnestra.org/ubuntu/hardy/
    >>
    >> However, I can't add the shared printer to the Windows client.
    >> When browsing for the network printer, I can see the Ubuntu host (or
    >> print server?) name. But, double-clicking on it gives the following
    >> message in the "Browse for Printer" dialog ...
    >>
    >> "\\desktop is not accessible.
    >> The computer or sharename could not be found. Make sure you typed it
    >> correctly, and try again."
    >>
    >> Where is the printer name set? Network settings show 127.0.1.1 as the
    >> host IP address. Should it be something like 192.168.xxx.xxx?
    >>
    >> Also, how can I verify that CUPS and IPP is properly setup?

    > I'm glad this topic is being discussed because this is a very confusing
    > topic for most people, including me.
    >
    > Let's suppose I have my printer hung off the USB on Ubuntu, it is shared,
    > everyone on earth can use it and it prints fine locally.
    >
    > It is set up using CUPS.
    >
    > EXACTLY what do I have to do in order to print from Windows machines that
    > are on the same network.
    > I realize I have to load the driver manually on the Windows machines, but
    > then after that.
    >
    > Samba?
    >
    > Some other solution?
    >
    > Will installing Samba screw up my local CUPS setup?
    >
    > I am finding this very frustrating.

    I found having NFS installed made printing from windows to a printer on
    Linux easier.
    caver1

  11. Re: Linux/Ubuntu: How to setup Ubuntu print server

    Rick wrote:
    > On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 16:23:11 -0700, Adam wrote:
    >
    >> Recently, I started my exploration into Ubuntu.
    >> I turned a Windows machine into a multi-boot system by
    >> adding/installing Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron.
    >> There is an HP Laserjet 5 attached locally (to the parallel port).
    >> After adding the HP printer in Ubuntu, local printing works.
    >> I would now like to take advantage of Ubuntu's network printing support
    >> by enabling Ubuntu print server capabilities so that I can print from
    >> another Windows machine on the network. Googling leads me to the
    >> following informative URLs ...
    >>
    >> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ne...tingWithUbuntu
    >> http://www.funnestra.org/ubuntu/hardy/
    >>
    >> However, I can't add the shared printer to the Windows client.
    >> When browsing for the network printer, I can see the Ubuntu host (or
    >> print server?) name. But, double-clicking on it gives the following
    >> message in the "Browse for Printer" dialog ...
    >>
    >> "\\desktop is not accessible.
    >> The computer or sharename could not be found. Make sure you typed it
    >> correctly, and try again."
    >>
    >> Where is the printer name set? Network settings show 127.0.1.1 as the
    >> host IP address. Should it be something like 192.168.xxx.xxx?
    >>
    >> Also, how can I verify that CUPS and IPP is properly setup?

    > I'm glad this topic is being discussed because this is a very confusing
    > topic for most people, including me.
    >
    > Let's suppose I have my printer hung off the USB on Ubuntu, it is shared,
    > everyone on earth can use it and it prints fine locally.
    >
    > It is set up using CUPS.
    >
    > EXACTLY what do I have to do in order to print from Windows machines that
    > are on the same network.
    > I realize I have to load the driver manually on the Windows machines, but
    > then after that.
    >
    > Samba?
    >
    > Some other solution?
    >
    > Will installing Samba screw up my local CUPS setup?
    >
    > I am finding this very frustrating.

    I forgot with NFS it finds the printer easier and all you have to do is
    have the printer driver for windows if it does,t have it already.
    caver1

  12. Re: Linux/Ubuntu: How to setup Ubuntu print server

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 21:38:05 -0400
    Rick wrote:

    > On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 16:23:11 -0700, Adam wrote:
    >
    > > Recently, I started my exploration into Ubuntu.
    > > I turned a Windows machine into a multi-boot system by
    > > adding/installing Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron.
    > > There is an HP Laserjet 5 attached locally (to the parallel port).
    > > After adding the HP printer in Ubuntu, local printing works.
    > > I would now like to take advantage of Ubuntu's network printing
    > > support by enabling Ubuntu print server capabilities so that I can
    > > print from another Windows machine on the network. Googling leads
    > > me to the following informative URLs ...
    > >
    > > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ne...tingWithUbuntu
    > > http://www.funnestra.org/ubuntu/hardy/
    > >
    > > However, I can't add the shared printer to the Windows client.
    > > When browsing for the network printer, I can see the Ubuntu host
    > > (or print server?) name. But, double-clicking on it gives the
    > > following message in the "Browse for Printer" dialog ...
    > >
    > > "\\desktop is not accessible.
    > > The computer or sharename could not be found. Make sure you typed
    > > it correctly, and try again."
    > >
    > > Where is the printer name set? Network settings show 127.0.1.1 as
    > > the host IP address. Should it be something like 192.168.xxx.xxx?
    > >
    > > Also, how can I verify that CUPS and IPP is properly setup?

    > I'm glad this topic is being discussed because this is a very
    > confusing topic for most people, including me.
    >
    > Let's suppose I have my printer hung off the USB on Ubuntu, it is
    > shared, everyone on earth can use it and it prints fine locally.
    >
    > It is set up using CUPS.
    >
    > EXACTLY what do I have to do in order to print from Windows machines
    > that are on the same network.
    > I realize I have to load the driver manually on the Windows machines,
    > but then after that.

    You'll want to check out a message in this thread from me on
    15-Oct-2008, at 03:39. The message ID is
    <20081015033911.769036e1@zest> and it contains instructions (and links
    to additional information) on how to print to CUPS from Windows.

    CUPS uses IPP (the Internet Printing Protocol), which Windows knows how
    to talk to, but it doesn't make that very clear in its interface
    because Microsoft would (of course) prefer that you be printing to
    another Windows system using Microsoft's SMB protocol.

    The part where this starts to get confusing for people is that Ubuntu
    (and Linux systems in general) can speak a large number of protocols
    and they are all as exposed as the other. Windows can speak more than
    one protocol, but the interface is definitively slanted towards Windows
    based networking and printing.

    In any case, to get Windows to print to an IPP printer on a Linux (or
    OS X, for that matter) system, you just need a few pieces of
    information:

    * The name you want to call the printer on Windows. Something
    descriptive, like "Printer on Ubuntu", is fine.
    * The IP address of the computer that has the printer attached
    to it. (i.e., 192.168.1.100)
    * The name of the printer queue on that machine. (i.e., hplj5)
    * The URI of the printer. This will be:
    http://IP.OF.COMPUTER-WITH.PRINTER:6...s/PRINTER_NAME
    For the example IP and printer name listed above, this URI is:
    http://192.168.1.100:631/printers/hplj5
    * The name of the printer driver to use on Windows ("MS Publisher
    Imagesetter" is the appropriate one to use when printing to CUPS
    regardless of the actual printer in use).

    Now, once you have that information, you can open a command prompt on
    Windows, and type in the following command (all on one line, it is
    wrapped here):

    rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /b "Printer on Ubuntu" /x /n
    "blah" /if /f %windir%\inf\ntprint.inf /r
    "http://192.168.1.100:631/printers/hplj5" /m "MS Publisher Imagesetter"

    That command will install the MS Publisher Imagesetter printer driver
    (which is a printer driver that uses PostScript, which is what CUPS
    takes as input), and setup the printer spool on Windows. You can then
    open the Printers control panel and set the printer as the default
    printer, and you will be able to print to it.

    HTH,
    Mike

    --
    My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.

  13. Re: Linux/Ubuntu: How to setup Ubuntu print server

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 22:12:47 -0400, caver1 wrote:

    > Rick wrote:
    >> On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 16:23:11 -0700, Adam wrote:
    >>
    >>> Recently, I started my exploration into Ubuntu.
    >>> I turned a Windows machine into a multi-boot system by
    >>> adding/installing Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron.
    >>> There is an HP Laserjet 5 attached locally (to the parallel port).
    >>> After adding the HP printer in Ubuntu, local printing works.
    >>> I would now like to take advantage of Ubuntu's network printing support
    >>> by enabling Ubuntu print server capabilities so that I can print from
    >>> another Windows machine on the network. Googling leads me to the
    >>> following informative URLs ...
    >>>
    >>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ne...tingWithUbuntu
    >>> http://www.funnestra.org/ubuntu/hardy/
    >>>
    >>> However, I can't add the shared printer to the Windows client.
    >>> When browsing for the network printer, I can see the Ubuntu host (or
    >>> print server?) name. But, double-clicking on it gives the following
    >>> message in the "Browse for Printer" dialog ...
    >>>
    >>> "\\desktop is not accessible.
    >>> The computer or sharename could not be found. Make sure you typed it
    >>> correctly, and try again."
    >>>
    >>> Where is the printer name set? Network settings show 127.0.1.1 as the
    >>> host IP address. Should it be something like 192.168.xxx.xxx?
    >>>
    >>> Also, how can I verify that CUPS and IPP is properly setup?

    >> I'm glad this topic is being discussed because this is a very confusing
    >> topic for most people, including me.
    >>
    >> Let's suppose I have my printer hung off the USB on Ubuntu, it is shared,
    >> everyone on earth can use it and it prints fine locally.
    >>
    >> It is set up using CUPS.
    >>
    >> EXACTLY what do I have to do in order to print from Windows machines that
    >> are on the same network.
    >> I realize I have to load the driver manually on the Windows machines, but
    >> then after that.
    >>
    >> Samba?
    >>
    >> Some other solution?
    >>
    >> Will installing Samba screw up my local CUPS setup?
    >>
    >> I am finding this very frustrating.

    > I found having NFS installed made printing from windows to a printer on
    > Linux easier.
    > caver1

    Yikes!
    Now I have yet another alternative to confuse the issue.

    Not so sound smug or anything but with Windows all I do is plug in a
    printer, check a share box and it's done.
    Everyone can see it or I can limit it if I want.
    It's totally idiot proof.

    What's happening with Linux is that it is trying to act too much like a
    server rather than just simple file/printer sharing, which is what most
    desktop and home users are interested in doing.

  14. Re: Linux/Ubuntu: How to setup Ubuntu print server

    Rick wrote:
    > On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 22:12:47 -0400, caver1 wrote:
    >
    >> Rick wrote:

    >>> I'm glad this topic is being discussed because this is a very confusing
    >>> topic for most people, including me.
    >>>
    >>> Let's suppose I have my printer hung off the USB on Ubuntu, it is shared,
    >>> everyone on earth can use it and it prints fine locally.
    >>>
    >>> It is set up using CUPS.
    >>>
    >>> EXACTLY what do I have to do in order to print from Windows machines that
    >>> are on the same network.
    >>> I realize I have to load the driver manually on the Windows machines, but
    >>> then after that.
    >>>
    >>> Samba?
    >>>
    >>> Some other solution?
    >>>
    >>> Will installing Samba screw up my local CUPS setup?
    >>>
    >>> I am finding this very frustrating.

    >> I found having NFS installed made printing from windows to a printer on
    >> Linux easier.
    >> caver1

    > Yikes!
    > Now I have yet another alternative to confuse the issue.
    >
    > Not so sound smug or anything but with Windows all I do is plug in a
    > printer, check a share box and it's done.
    > Everyone can see it or I can limit it if I want.
    > It's totally idiot proof.
    >
    > What's happening with Linux is that it is trying to act too much like a
    > server rather than just simple file/printer sharing, which is what most
    > desktop and home users are interested in doing.

    Thats where either samba-smb or NFS -windows NFs client come in handy
    depending on what you want.
    Windows does not share well with Linux without one or the other.
    Linux shares with Windows much better.
    caver1

  15. Re: Linux/Ubuntu: How to setup Ubuntu print server

    caver1 wrote:

    > I found having NFS installed made printing from windows to a printer
    > on Linux easier.

    I assume use were using Windows Services for UNIX to make that
    possible? NFS is a protocol of UNIX origin...

    --- Mike

    --
    My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.

  16. Re: Linux/Ubuntu: How to setup Ubuntu print server

    Fan-****ing-tastic!

    >> Seriously, though, getting Windows to print to a CUPS printer can be
    >> frustrating. (I've done it myself, several times). Actually, getting
    >> Windows and Linux to cooperate doing *anything* can be frustrating.
    >>
    >> Did you check, under Ubuntu|System|Admin|Printing|Server Settings, that
    >> "Share published printers..." is checked? Ubuntu does not share its
    >> printers out-of-the-box; I've been stung on this before.
    >>
    >> --
    >> MarkA
    >> Keeper of the Butter Dish of Balshazar
    >>

    > Again, YES, "Share published printers connected to this system" under
    > Ubuntu|System|Admin|Printing|Server Settings is checked.

    > 1) "http://192.168.1.101:631/printers/CUPS/HP_LaserJet_5"
    > 2) "http://192.168.1.101:631/printers/HP_LaserJet_5"

    Is the printer name correct? Use a terminal window to look at the file,
    "/etc/cups/printers.conf" (you need root privileges). If it doesn't say
    , you have the name wrong.

    On the Linux box, do you see the printer from your web browser, if you
    enter: localhost:631/printers as the URL? How about from the web browser
    of the windows box, entering 192.168.1.101:631/printers?

    --
    MarkA
    Keeper of the Butter Dish of Balshazar

  17. Re: Linux/Ubuntu: How to setup Ubuntu print server

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 22:17:41 -0400, Michael B. Trausch wrote:

> [...]

    > * The name of the printer driver to use on Windows ("MS Publisher
    > Imagesetter" is the appropriate one to use when printing to CUPS
    > regardless of the actual printer in use).
    >
    > Now, once you have that information, you can open a command prompt on
    > Windows, and type in the following command (all on one line, it is
    > wrapped here):
    >
    > rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /b "Printer on Ubuntu" /x /n
    > "blah" /if /f %windir%\inf\ntprint.inf /r
    > "http://192.168.1.100:631/printers/hplj5" /m "MS Publisher Imagesetter"
    >
    > That command will install the MS Publisher Imagesetter printer driver
    > (which is a printer driver that uses PostScript, which is what CUPS
    > takes as input), and setup the printer spool on Windows. You can then
    > open the Printers control panel and set the printer as the default
    > printer, and you will be able to print to it.

    Hi Mike,
    I pretty much followed your instructions up to the point of the rundll
    stuff.
    I just plugged the URI into the Windows "find a printer" thing and it found
    it.
    I did, install the driver on the Windows machine first.

    Works great now!!

    I still don't know why doing a "browse" from Windows does NOT find the same
    printer.

    The only other gotcha was getting the printer name correct.
    Name/description/location etc.
    Too many things to screw up.

    I got it using the port 631 thing in a browser.

    Seriously though, this is a royal PITA.

  18. Re: Linux/Ubuntu: How to setup Ubuntu print server

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 00:22:18 -0400
    Rick wrote:

    > I still don't know why doing a "browse" from Windows does NOT find
    > the same printer.

    Because it does not listen to CUPS advertisements. Windows is designed
    to only listen for solicitations from machines that use the Windows
    networking protocol, which is called SMB or CIFS, depending on who you
    talk to and how recent a protocol revision they're talking about.

    > The only other gotcha was getting the printer name correct.
    > Name/description/location etc.
    > Too many things to screw up.
    >
    > I got it using the port 631 thing in a browser.
    >
    > Seriously though, this is a royal PITA.

    Microsoft *claims* to listen to its customers; you can try contacting
    them and asking them to provide better interoperability with the
    Internet Printing Protocol. Don't know how much actual good that will
    do, Web developers have been asking for W3C standards compliance from
    MSIE for years now... and it's only slowly getting there.

    --
    DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS
    DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS
    DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS
    -- Steve Ballmer, 2001

  19. Re: Linux/Ubuntu: How to setup Ubuntu print server

    MarkA wrote:
    > On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 14:27:23 -0700, Adam wrote:
    >
    >> 1) "http://192.168.1.101:631/printers/CUPS/HP_LaserJet_5"
    >> 2) "http://192.168.1.101:631/printers/HP_LaserJet_5"

    > Is the printer name correct? Use a terminal window to look at the file,
    > "/etc/cups/printers.conf" (you need root privileges). If it doesn't say
    > , you have the name wrong.

    "/etc/cups/printers.conf" contains ...

    > On the Linux box, do you see the printer from your web browser, if you
    > enter: localhost:631/printers as the URL? How about from the web browser
    > of the windows box, entering 192.168.1.101:631/printers?

    Entering ...

    localhost:631/printers
    192.168.1.101:631/printers

    all three show the following ...

    HP_LaserJet_5 (Default Printer):
    Location: desktop
    Printer Driver: HP LaserJet 5 Foomatic/hpijs, hpijs 2.8.2
    Printer State: idle, accepting jobs, published.
    Device URI: parallel:/dev/lp0

    PDF:
    Location:
    Printer Driver: Generic PDF file generator
    Printer State: idle, accepting jobs, not published.
    Device URI: cups-pdf:/

  20. Re: Linux/Ubuntu: How to setup Ubuntu print server

    Adam wrote:
    > MarkA wrote:
    >> On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 14:27:23 -0700, Adam wrote:
    >>
    >>> 1) "http://192.168.1.101:631/printers/CUPS/HP_LaserJet_5"
    >>> 2) "http://192.168.1.101:631/printers/HP_LaserJet_5"

    >> Is the printer name correct? Use a terminal window to look at the file,
    >> "/etc/cups/printers.conf" (you need root privileges). If it doesn't say
    >> , you have the name wrong.
    >>

    > "/etc/cups/printers.conf" contains ...

    # Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.3.7
    # Written by cupsd on 2008-10-14 13:21

    Info
    Location desktop
    DeviceURI parallel:/dev/lp0