Lexmark X4875 printer - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Lexmark X4875 printer - Ubuntu ; Does any one have experiences with Lexmark X4875 printer in linux (Ubuntu 8.04 64bit)? Is it possible to give it working in linux at all. I have tried to use z600 drivers with CUPS, but printing does not work, nothing ...

  1. Lexmark X4875 printer

    Does any one have experiences with Lexmark X4875 printer in linux (Ubuntu
    8.04 64bit)? Is it possible to give it working in linux at all. I have
    tried to use z600 drivers with CUPS, but printing does not work, nothing
    happens when printing.

    -jarkka

  2. Re: Lexmark X4875 printer

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 18:56:20 +0000 (UTC)
    Jarkka wrote:

    > Does any one have experiences with Lexmark X4875 printer in linux
    > (Ubuntu 8.04 64bit)? Is it possible to give it working in linux at
    > all. I have tried to use z600 drivers with CUPS, but printing does
    > not work, nothing happens when printing.

    Lexmark has printers on two ends of the spectrum: _excellent_
    printers, and terribly _awful_ printers. Their inkjet printers tend to
    be on the awful end of the spectrum, and their laser printers (E240,
    E250dn, T622 and its color sibling are among those that I have used,
    currently I own the E240 and E250dn models) tend to be wonderful.

    You *might* be able to get it to work if you're able enough to take the
    OS X Intel binary filters for the printer and somehow get them to
    properly run on Linux. However, I think that they would probably be
    32-bit binary filters, and so it makes it that much harder.

    It doesn't seem that the X4875 is even listed in the openprinting.org
    database, so there's no help from that direction.

    The good news is that OS X uses CUPS (which Apple now owns) and so if
    you can find a way to execute the binary filters that are provided for
    OS X on Linux, there would seem to be a reasonable chance to pipeline
    those filters in with a CUPS install on Ubuntu. I am not able to do
    such a thing, though, and I don't know if anyone has tried and
    succeeded at it. My guess is that the filters probably use some sort
    of OS X specific library or API that would have to be first implemented
    on Linux anyway, before executing the filters would become possible.

    --- Mike

    --
    My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.

+ Reply to Thread