Firewall, DHCP & Wireless network - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Firewall, DHCP & Wireless network - Ubuntu ; Trying to set up a Linux box to act as a firewall and DHCP server for my home. I have the Internet coming in, would like the Linux computer to act as the firewall, would like it to look for ...

  1. Firewall, DHCP & Wireless network

    Trying to set up a Linux box to act as a firewall and DHCP server for my
    home. I have the Internet coming in, would like the Linux computer to
    act as the firewall, would like it to look for any sort of malicious
    packets and such. Then have it exit to a wireless antenna so I can
    access it with my laptop. Actually have a bunch of friends who come over
    to game, so would like them all to be able to access the Internet when we
    are gaming together. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have
    several older PC's so that won't be a problem and have a couple of
    network cards. Thanks in advance.

    Lee

  2. Re: Firewall, DHCP & Wireless network

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 16:23:03 +0000, Lee A. Wentzel wrote:

    > Trying to set up a Linux box to act as a firewall and DHCP server for my
    > home. I have the Internet coming in, would like the Linux computer to
    > act as the firewall, would like it to look for any sort of malicious
    > packets and such. Then have it exit to a wireless antenna so I can
    > access it with my laptop. Actually have a bunch of friends who come over
    > to game, so would like them all to be able to access the Internet when we
    > are gaming together. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have
    > several older PC's so that won't be a problem and have a couple of
    > network cards. Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Lee

    That sounds like the kind of setup I have at my office. I have an ancient
    box with 2 NICs running Smoothwall Express. It only accepts SSH
    connections on the external interface, so I can access my network from
    home. On the internal network, I have a second Linux box that acts as the
    dchp, dns, ntp, etc, server. I also have a Linksys wireless router that
    plugs into the network switch, allowing wireless laptops to join the
    network. The router is configured so that it will only talk to laptops
    with a registered MAC address, to help prevent outsiders from joining the
    fun. On the Linksys router, do NOT use the "WAN" plug to connect to the
    network switch; use one of the LAN ports instead.

    When setting up the firewall, it is helpful to use 2 different brands of
    NIC; it just makes it easier to sort out which is which.

    Linksys makes a "Linux/hackable" version of their routers, ie, WRT-54GL,
    and there is quite a cottage industry built around tweaking the router
    firmware. That means the little blue Linksys box sitting on your desk is,
    in fact, a very small footprint Linux firewall. However, since I am up
    to my ass in old computers anyway, I have not explored all the
    possibilities of the Linksys firmware.

    I have been happy with Smoothwall, though IPCop is another popular choice.

    --
    MarkA
    Keeper of Things Put There Only Just The Night Before

  3. Re: Firewall, DHCP & Wireless network

    Lee A. Wentzel wrote:

    > Trying to set up a Linux box to act as a firewall and DHCP server for my
    > home. I have the Internet coming in, would like the Linux computer to
    > act as the firewall, would like it to look for any sort of malicious
    > packets and such. Then have it exit to a wireless antenna so I can
    > access it with my laptop. Actually have a bunch of friends who come over
    > to game, so would like them all to be able to access the Internet when we
    > are gaming together. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have
    > several older PC's so that won't be a problem and have a couple of
    > network cards. Thanks in advance.

    If you want it to act as an access point you need to get a wireless card
    that can be set to do that. I've tried two cards and had no luck.

    Pete

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  4. Re: Firewall, DHCP & Wireless network

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 16:23:03 GMT, "Lee A. Wentzel"
    wrote:

    >Trying to set up a Linux box to act as a firewall and DHCP server for my
    >home. I have the Internet coming in, would like the Linux computer to
    >act as the firewall, would like it to look for any sort of malicious
    >packets and such. Then have it exit to a wireless antenna so I can
    >access it with my laptop. Actually have a bunch of friends who come over
    >to game, so would like them all to be able to access the Internet when we
    >are gaming together. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have
    >several older PC's so that won't be a problem and have a couple of
    >network cards. Thanks in advance.
    >
    >Lee

    I use Brazilfw, an update to Coyote linux with wireless
    capabilities.
    My hardware is a 586 K6-400 with 64Mb ram. No hard drive or
    video card, just the cdrom drive (linux image is made using mkisofs,
    then burnt to a live cdrom.)
    My cards are a ralink 2561 to wireless and an old ne2kpci
    ethernet, which connects to a 8 port hub, serving 3 pcs in my home.
    Cant help you with the laptop .... mine just receives, but
    there are options on the brazilfw page.
    www.brazilfw.com.br
    []'s
    Uptime is 11 months now, if you ignore the fact I unplug it at
    night :P

+ Reply to Thread