Grub error - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Grub error - Ubuntu ; After several weeks of not being used I tried to boot up my Ubuntu 7.10 pc today and found it stops with "read error" in grub. As I'm not Ubuntu literate is it best to 1. reinstall from my 7.1 ...

  1. Grub error

    After several weeks of not being used I tried to boot up my Ubuntu 7.10 pc
    today and found it stops with "read error" in grub.
    As I'm not Ubuntu literate is it best to
    1. reinstall from my 7.1 disc, or
    2. start afresh with the later Ubuntu 8.04 which is downloading on this
    other windoze pc as I write this.
    I assume both methods will lose the stuff I have installed but I can
    reinstate that easily.

    Thanks in anticipation
    Mike H

  2. Re: Grub error

    Mike H schreef:
    > After several weeks of not being used I tried to boot up my Ubuntu 7.10
    > pc today and found it stops with "read error" in grub.
    > As I'm not Ubuntu literate is it best to
    > 1. reinstall from my 7.1 disc, or
    > 2. start afresh with the later Ubuntu 8.04 which is downloading on this
    > other windoze pc as I write this.
    > I assume both methods will lose the stuff I have installed but I can
    > reinstate that easily.
    >
    > Thanks in anticipation
    > Mike H

    There are several things you can do.
    repair grub. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351
    using the live CD that you're downloading.

    Or install 8.04
    (Before this you might want to boot with the live cd and
    salvage the data that you need)

    If you choose for the new install you might want to consider
    a partition scheme that will prevent you lose anything next
    time you want to do a clean install.
    For this you need to put the /home directory on a partition
    of its own. If you google for "partition schemes" you'll
    find a lot of usefull info.

    Herbert

  3. Re: Grub error

    "Mike H" blue@glueyonder.co.uk> wrote in

    > After several weeks of not being used I tried to boot up my Ubuntu
    > 7.10 pc today and found it stops with "read error" in grub.
    > As I'm not Ubuntu literate is it best to
    > 1. reinstall from my 7.1 disc, or
    > 2. start afresh with the later Ubuntu 8.04 which is downloading on
    > this other windoze pc as I write this.

    .......or just wait till the end of the month for the release of v8.10.
    There is also a LiveCD beta available for downloading if you are interested
    in a preview of the new release. Kubuntu also has the new version of KDE
    (KDE 4.1.2) being included with the their v8.10 release; beta is also
    available for downloading.

    > I assume both methods will lose the stuff I have installed but I can
    > reinstate that easily.

    Might want to check this weeks back messages as there was a thread covering
    this very topic.

  4. Re: Grub error

    "Mike H" blue@glueyonder.co.uk> wrote in

    > After several weeks of not being used I tried to boot up my Ubuntu
    > 7.10 pc today and found it stops with "read error" in grub.

    ........forgot to mention in previous message.....probably the quickest
    solution to rectifying the grub problem (if one is not that familiar with
    troubleshooting Grub related issues) is to download the SuperGrub ISO:

    http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

  5. Re: Grub error

    Mike H wrote:

    > After several weeks of not being used I tried to boot up my Ubuntu 7.10 pc
    > today and found it stops with "read error" in grub.
    > As I'm not Ubuntu literate is it best to
    > 1. reinstall from my 7.1 disc, or
    > 2. start afresh with the later Ubuntu 8.04 which is downloading on this
    > other windoze pc as I write this.
    > I assume both methods will lose the stuff I have installed but I can
    > reinstate that easily.
    >
    > Thanks in anticipation
    > Mike H

    I have heard on the grapevine that two sata drives can cause errors. I
    occasionally get read errors or grub stage errors or some kind of cylinder
    sector error. After a couple of resets it boots fine.

    --
    If at first you don't succeed try, try again.

  6. Re: Grub error

    On 10/14/2008 03:37 PM darren scribbled:

    > Mike H wrote:
    >
    >> After several weeks of not being used I tried to boot up my Ubuntu 7.10 pc
    >> today and found it stops with "read error" in grub.
    >> As I'm not Ubuntu literate is it best to
    >> 1. reinstall from my 7.1 disc, or
    >> 2. start afresh with the later Ubuntu 8.04 which is downloading on this
    >> other windoze pc as I write this.
    >> I assume both methods will lose the stuff I have installed but I can
    >> reinstate that easily.
    >>
    >> Thanks in anticipation
    >> Mike H

    > I have heard on the grapevine that two sata drives can cause errors. I
    > occasionally get read errors or grub stage errors or some kind of cylinder
    > sector error. After a couple of resets it boots fine.

    Darren, whats a reset in this instance?

  7. Re: Grub error

    "darren" wrote in message
    > Mike H wrote:
    >
    >> After several weeks of not being used I tried to boot up my Ubuntu 7.10
    >> pc
    >> today and found it stops with "read error" in grub.
    >> As I'm not Ubuntu literate is it best to
    >> 1. reinstall from my 7.1 disc, or
    >> 2. start afresh with the later Ubuntu 8.04 which is downloading on this
    >> other windoze pc as I write this.
    >> I assume both methods will lose the stuff I have installed but I can
    >> reinstate that easily.
    >>
    >> Thanks in anticipation
    >> Mike H

    > I have heard on the grapevine that two sata drives can cause errors. I
    > occasionally get read errors or grub stage errors or some kind of cylinder
    > sector error. After a couple of resets it boots fine.
    >
    > --
    > If at first you don't succeed try, try again.

    Fixed it finally, the grub repair and other suggestions all failed when
    vital files were missing, when close to giving up I looked in the BIOS to
    see what disc I had and saw a secondary IDE with no primary. The jumper that
    sets it had fallen out ! Set it as primary and put a fresh new 8.04 on,
    impressed with it now. Thanks for your help and suggestions.
    Mike H

+ Reply to Thread