Ubuntu can't see my FAT32 parition. - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu can't see my FAT32 parition. - Ubuntu ; I'm using 8.04 AMD64, and I would like to access the FAT32 recovery partition on my Windows XP hard drive, but Ubuntu can't see it. Ubuntu can see the main NTFS partition just fine, so why can't it see the ...

  1. Ubuntu can't see my FAT32 parition.

    I'm using 8.04 AMD64, and I would like to access the FAT32 recovery
    partition on my Windows XP hard drive, but Ubuntu can't see it.

    Ubuntu can see the main NTFS partition just fine, so why can't it see the
    FAT32?

  2. Re: Ubuntu can't see my FAT32 parition.

    ShadowTek wrote in
    news:Xns9B371CA79E80Dpsistormyamatocscom@85.214.90 .236:

    > I'm using 8.04 AMD64, and I would like to access the FAT32 recovery
    > partition on my Windows XP hard drive, but Ubuntu can't see it.
    >
    > Ubuntu can see the main NTFS partition just fine, so why can't it see
    > the FAT32?

    Probably not configured or commented out in fstab. Apparently in
    previous versions it was automounted upon bootup....which if my quick
    googling on the subject is any indication was perceived by many as
    unnecessary.

    So either check with your partitioning software to make sure you have
    the correct name for the partition (eg. sda1) and then edit fstab
    or.....

    .....use synaptic to download/install ntfs-config (a GUI setup for the
    ntfs-3g driver).

    Suggestion: make very sure that you know how to use your partioning
    software so that you don't inadvertently nuke the partition.....plus
    consider disabling any writing permissions to the partition.....and of
    course, backup that partitions contents before attempting any of the
    above suggestions. :-)

  3. Re: Ubuntu can't see my FAT32 parition.

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 06:49:00 +0000, ShadowTek wrote:

    > I'm using 8.04 AMD64, and I would like to access the FAT32 recovery
    > partition on my Windows XP hard drive, but Ubuntu can't see it.
    >
    > Ubuntu can see the main NTFS partition just fine, so why can't it see
    > the FAT32?

    Gparted allows you to view and mount all of your partitions.

  4. Re: Ubuntu can't see my FAT32 parition.

    On 10/14/2008 09:16 AM General Schvantzkopf scribbled:

    > On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 06:49:00 +0000, ShadowTek wrote:
    >
    >> I'm using 8.04 AMD64, and I would like to access the FAT32 recovery
    >> partition on my Windows XP hard drive, but Ubuntu can't see it.
    >>
    >> Ubuntu can see the main NTFS partition just fine, so why can't it see
    >> the FAT32?

    > Gparted allows you to view and mount all of your partitions.

    view, yes. mounting, I can't see w/o addons.
    am I missing something?

  5. Re: Ubuntu can't see my FAT32 partition.

    ShadowTek wrote:
    > I'm using 8.04 AMD64, and I would like to access the FAT32 recovery
    > partition on my Windows XP hard drive, but Ubuntu can't see it.
    >
    > Ubuntu can see the main NTFS partition just fine, so why can't it see the
    > FAT32?

    Really? That's interesting. I recently installed Ubuntu 8.04 standard
    desktop, which shows too much (like hidden partitions).

  6. Re: Ubuntu can't see my FAT32 parition.

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 20:30:56 -0700, jrg wrote:

    > On 10/14/2008 09:16 AM General Schvantzkopf scribbled:
    >
    >> On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 06:49:00 +0000, ShadowTek wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm using 8.04 AMD64, and I would like to access the FAT32 recovery
    >>> partition on my Windows XP hard drive, but Ubuntu can't see it.
    >>>
    >>> Ubuntu can see the main NTFS partition just fine, so why can't it see
    >>> the FAT32?

    >> Gparted allows you to view and mount all of your partitions.

    > view, yes. mounting, I can't see w/o addons. am I missing something?

    Select the partition by clicking on it, then do a right click and a menu
    will pop up with a mount item on it.

  7. Re: Ubuntu can't see my FAT32 partition.

    Adam wrote:
    > ShadowTek wrote:
    >> I'm using 8.04 AMD64, and I would like to access the FAT32 recovery
    >> partition on my Windows XP hard drive, but Ubuntu can't see it.
    >>
    >> Ubuntu can see the main NTFS partition just fine, so why can't it see
    >> the FAT32?

    > Really? That's interesting. I recently installed Ubuntu 8.04 standard
    > desktop, which shows too much (like hidden partitions).

    I had to specifically mount earlier versions of Ubuntu, but 8+
    automatically sees and mounts everything, including external fat32.
    Dave Cohen

  8. Re: Ubuntu can't see my FAT32 partition.

    On 10/15/2008 07:40 AM Dave Cohen scribbled:

    > Adam wrote:
    >> ShadowTek wrote:
    >>> I'm using 8.04 AMD64, and I would like to access the FAT32 recovery
    >>> partition on my Windows XP hard drive, but Ubuntu can't see it.
    >>>
    >>> Ubuntu can see the main NTFS partition just fine, so why can't it see
    >>> the FAT32?

    >> Really? That's interesting. I recently installed Ubuntu 8.04 standard
    >> desktop, which shows too much (like hidden partitions).

    > I had to specifically mount earlier versions of Ubuntu, but 8+
    > automatically sees and mounts everything, including external fat32.
    > Dave Cohen

    It worked fine for me at the start. Either a recent upgrade or some
    nvidia nonsense I went through last week has borken something so that I
    cannot boot windows. I thought ubuntu couldn't see the NTFS partition
    but I was wrong - it sees it. Just won't boot...

  9. Re: Ubuntu can't see my FAT32 parition.

    On 10/15/2008 05:49 AM General Schvantzkopf scribbled:

    > On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 20:30:56 -0700, jrg wrote:

    >>> Gparted allows you to view and mount all of your partitions.

    >> view, yes. mounting, I can't see w/o addons. am I missing something?

    > Select the partition by clicking on it, then do a right click and a menu
    > will pop up with a mount item on it.

    My menu has no mount oprtion, just unmount, greyed out since its saying
    it can't read the NFTS partition, though it correctly ids it...

  10. Re: Ubuntu can't see my FAT32 parition.

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 09:37:25 -0700, jrg wrote:

    > On 10/15/2008 05:49 AM General Schvantzkopf scribbled:
    >
    >> On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 20:30:56 -0700, jrg wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 10/14/2008 09:16 AM General Schvantzkopf scribbled:

    >>> view, yes. mounting, I can't see w/o addons. am I missing something?

    >> Select the partition by clicking on it, then do a right click and a
    >> menu will pop up with a mount item on it.

    > My menu has no mount oprtion, just unmount, greyed out since its saying
    > it can't read the NFTS partition, though it correctly ids it...

    I thought you said the problem was with the FAT32 partition?

  11. Re: Ubuntu can't see my FAT32 parition.

    On 10/15/2008 09:57 AM General Schvantzkopf scribbled:

    > On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 09:37:25 -0700, jrg wrote:

    >>> Select the partition by clicking on it, then do a right click and a
    >>> menu will pop up with a mount item on it.

    >> My menu has no mount oprtion, just unmount, greyed out since its saying
    >> it can't read the NFTS partition, though it correctly ids it...

    > I thought you said the problem was with the FAT32 partition?

    sorry, didn't mean to mislead, not my thread but am having same problem
    with NTFS - thought gparted would help...

  12. Re: Ubuntu can't see my FAT32 parition.

    jrg wrote in news:a%oJk.1857$k96.1170@newsfe06.iad:

    > My menu has no mount oprtion, just unmount, greyed out since its
    > saying it can't read the NFTS partition, though it correctly ids it...

    I've never had trouble with my NTFS partition mounting.

    There are some additional NTFS tools that can complement gparted. You could
    try those.
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/gparted

    Also, you could try NTFS-3g. I havn't used it with Ubuntu yet, but I have
    used it many time with other distrobutions.
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/ntfs-3g

  13. Re: Ubuntu can't see my FAT32 parition.

    On 10/15/2008 04:12 PM ShadowTek scribbled:

    > jrg wrote in news:a%oJk.1857$k96.1170@newsfe06.iad:
    >
    >> My menu has no mount oprtion, just unmount, greyed out since its
    >> saying it can't read the NFTS partition, though it correctly ids it...

    > I've never had trouble with my NTFS partition mounting.
    >
    > There are some additional NTFS tools that can complement gparted. You could
    > try those.
    > http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/gparted
    >
    > Also, you could try NTFS-3g. I havn't used it with Ubuntu yet, but I have
    > used it many time with other distrobutions.
    > http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/ntfs-3g

    thanks, tried both, then the windoze cd as well, which told me that my
    volume was fried. No clue as to how, cept I had an ubuntu freeze at one
    point last week which required total power down - no decipherable cause
    at the time.
    Looks like windoze is out the window, so to speak. Don't think its
    worth wasting any more time over it - ubuntu 10 is probably more cost
    effective.

  14. Re: Ubuntu can't see my FAT32 parition.

    jrg wrote in news:T4zJk.518$JR3.508@newsfe03.iad:

    > thanks, tried both, then the windoze cd as well, which told me that my
    > volume was fried. No clue as to how, cept I had an ubuntu freeze at
    > one point last week which required total power down - no decipherable
    > cause at the time.
    > Looks like windoze is out the window, so to speak. Don't think its
    > worth wasting any more time over it - ubuntu 10 is probably more cost
    > effective.

    Device driver availability and the fact that most games are made for
    Windows seems to be the only things that's that are holding back Ubuntu in
    my opinion. Of course, that applies to basically every OS that isn't
    Windows, except for Mac.

+ Reply to Thread