Firefox 3.0.3 keeps crashing! Grrr! - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Firefox 3.0.3 keeps crashing! Grrr! - Ubuntu ; I have used Firefox for *years*, and it has always been rock-stable. Lately, however, since upgrading to version 3, it crashes with annoying regularity. It opens strange, unlabeled windows on my screen, and will crash from time to time, seemingly ...

  1. Firefox 3.0.3 keeps crashing! Grrr!

    I have used Firefox for *years*, and it has always been rock-stable.
    Lately, however, since upgrading to version 3, it crashes with annoying
    regularity. It opens strange, unlabeled windows on my screen, and will
    crash from time to time, seemingly at random. As Lo Pan would say, "This
    is the kind of thing that really pisses me off!"

    I'm not looking for advice, BTW, just venting....

    --
    MarkA
    (This space temporarily unavailable)

  2. Re: Firefox 3.0.3 keeps crashing! Grrr!

    MarkA illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > I have used Firefox for *years*, and it has always been rock-stable.
    > Lately, however, since upgrading to version 3, it crashes with annoying
    > regularity. It opens strange, unlabeled windows on my screen, and will
    > crash from time to time, seemingly at random. As Lo Pan would say, "This
    > is the kind of thing that really pisses me off!"

    Aaah....

    Must watch "Big trouble in little China".

    Not really offering any advice, but as Jack Burton would say, "Son of
    a bitch must pay"

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

  3. Re: Firefox 3.0.3 keeps crashing! Grrr!

    MarkA wrote:

    > I have used Firefox for *years*, and it has always been rock-
    > stable. Lately, however, since upgrading to version 3, it
    > crashes with annoying regularity. It opens strange, unlabeled
    > windows on my screen, and will crash from time to time,
    > seemingly at random. As Lo Pan would say, "This is the kind
    > of thing that really pisses me off!"
    >
    > I'm not looking for advice, BTW, just venting....

    Well, keep it up, and report all your problems to Mozilla. That
    will help them get it in order so that I can use it (after repair).

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  4. Re: Firefox 3.0.3 keeps crashing! Grrr!

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 17:58:39 -0400, CBFalconer wrote:

    > MarkA wrote:
    >>
    >> I have used Firefox for *years*, and it has always been rock-
    >> stable. Lately, however, since upgrading to version 3, it
    >> crashes with annoying regularity. It opens strange, unlabeled
    >> windows on my screen, and will crash from time to time,
    >> seemingly at random. As Lo Pan would say, "This is the kind
    >> of thing that really pisses me off!"
    >>
    >> I'm not looking for advice, BTW, just venting....

    > Well, keep it up, and report all your problems to Mozilla. That
    > will help them get it in order so that I can use it (after repair).

    The OP may need to clear the cache and the download history

  5. Re: Firefox 3.0.3 keeps crashing! Grrr!

    MarkA wrote:

    > I have used Firefox for *years*, and it has always been rock-stable.
    > Lately, however, since upgrading to version 3, it crashes with annoying
    > regularity. It opens strange, unlabeled windows on my screen, and will
    > crash from time to time, seemingly at random. As Lo Pan would say, "This
    > is the kind of thing that really pisses me off!"
    >
    > I'm not looking for advice, BTW, just venting....

    Maybe a problem with some extension or plugin.

    Does it still crash if you
    * start FF using -safe-mode
    * create a new profile for FF (start FF with -ProfileManager )
    * create a new account and use that

    What plugins are you suing (aboutlugins)?

    Florian

  6. Re: Firefox 3.0.3 keeps crashing! Grrr!

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 19:21:02 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > MarkA illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> I have used Firefox for *years*, and it has always been rock-stable.
    >> Lately, however, since upgrading to version 3, it crashes with annoying
    >> regularity. It opens strange, unlabeled windows on my screen, and will
    >> crash from time to time, seemingly at random. As Lo Pan would say, "This
    >> is the kind of thing that really pisses me off!"

    > Aaah....
    >

    > Must watch "Big trouble in little China".
    >

    > Not really offering any advice, but as Jack Burton would say, "Son of
    > a bitch must pay"

    "The check's in the mail..."

    --
    MarkA
    Keeper of Things Put There Only Just The Night Before

  7. Re: Firefox 3.0.3 keeps crashing! Grrr!

    MarkA wrote:
    > I have used Firefox for *years*, and it has always been rock-stable.
    > Lately, however, since upgrading to version 3, it crashes with annoying
    > regularity. It opens strange, unlabeled windows on my screen, and will
    > crash from time to time, seemingly at random. As Lo Pan would say, "This
    > is the kind of thing that really pisses me off!"
    >
    > I'm not looking for advice, BTW, just venting....

    If you have been using the same old profile since version 1, it's time
    to create a new profile and import old data back.

    REMEMBER TO BACK UP YOUR profiles first!

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.1) Linux 2.6.26.6

  8. Re: Firefox 3.0.3 keeps crashing! Grrr!

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 10:35:31 +0200, Florian Diesch wrote:

    > MarkA wrote:
    >
    >> I have used Firefox for *years*, and it has always been rock-stable.
    >> Lately, however, since upgrading to version 3, it crashes with annoying
    >> regularity. It opens strange, unlabeled windows on my screen, and will
    >> crash from time to time, seemingly at random. As Lo Pan would say, "This
    >> is the kind of thing that really pisses me off!"
    >>
    >> I'm not looking for advice, BTW, just venting....

    > Maybe a problem with some extension or plugin.
    >
    > Does it still crash if you
    > * start FF using -safe-mode
    > * create a new profile for FF (start FF with -ProfileManager )
    > * create a new account and use that
    >
    > What plugins are you suing (aboutlugins)?
    >
    > Florian

    Didn't know about "safe-mode". Thanks for the tip.

    --
    MarkA
    Keeper of Things Put There Only Just The Night Before
    About eight o'clock

  9. Re: Firefox 3.0.3 keeps crashing! Grrr!

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 17:58:39 -0400, CBFalconer wrote:

    > MarkA wrote:
    >>
    >> I have used Firefox for *years*, and it has always been rock-
    >> stable. Lately, however, since upgrading to version 3, it
    >> crashes with annoying regularity. It opens strange, unlabeled
    >> windows on my screen, and will crash from time to time,
    >> seemingly at random. As Lo Pan would say, "This is the kind
    >> of thing that really pisses me off!"
    >>
    >> I'm not looking for advice, BTW, just venting....

    > Well, keep it up, and report all your problems to Mozilla. That
    > will help them get it in order so that I can use it (after repair).

    I haven't been able to nail down a consistent pattern, in order to file a
    useful bug report. Hence the "I'm just venting....". I'll keep working
    on it.

    --
    MarkA
    Keeper of Things Put There Only Just The Night Before
    About eight o'clock

  10. Re: Firefox 3.0.3 keeps crashing! Grrr!

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 08:58:23 -0400, MarkA wrote:

    > On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 17:58:39 -0400, CBFalconer wrote:
    >
    >> MarkA wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I have used Firefox for *years*, and it has always been rock-
    >>> stable. Lately, however, since upgrading to version 3, it
    >>> crashes with annoying regularity. It opens strange, unlabeled
    >>> windows on my screen, and will crash from time to time,
    >>> seemingly at random. As Lo Pan would say, "This is the kind
    >>> of thing that really pisses me off!"
    >>>
    >>> I'm not looking for advice, BTW, just venting....

    >> Well, keep it up, and report all your problems to Mozilla. That
    >> will help them get it in order so that I can use it (after repair).

    > I haven't been able to nail down a consistent pattern, in order to file a
    > useful bug report. Hence the "I'm just venting....". I'll keep working
    > on it.

    What have you tried? Made a new test profile? Cleared cache and download
    history?

    Firefox questions are best asked here:

  11. Re: Firefox 3.0.3 keeps crashing! Grrr!

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 18:03:26 +0000, MarkA wrote:

    > I have used Firefox for *years*, and it has always been rock-stable.
    > Lately, however, since upgrading to version 3, it crashes with annoying
    > regularity. It opens strange, unlabeled windows on my screen, and will
    > crash from time to time, seemingly at random. As Lo Pan would say,
    > "This is the kind of thing that really pisses me off!"
    >
    > I'm not looking for advice, BTW, just venting....

    I had a similar problem with FF3 when I upgraded my video driver
    (nVidia). When I set the refresh rate of my monitor to 75 Hz, which it
    can handle, this crashed FF3. When I set it back to 60 Hz, FF3 was OK.
    Now why 75 Hz refresh rate would be the cause of this crash is beyond me.
    You might try lowering your refresh rate. See if it helps.

  12. Re: Firefox 3.0.3 keeps crashing! Grrr!

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 07:50:53 -0400, MarkA wrote:

    > On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 19:21:02 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >
    >> MarkA illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> I have used Firefox for *years*, and it has always been rock-stable.
    >>> Lately, however, since upgrading to version 3, it crashes with
    >>> annoying regularity. It opens strange, unlabeled windows on my
    >>> screen, and will crash from time to time, seemingly at random. As Lo
    >>> Pan would say, "This is the kind of thing that really pisses me off!"

    >> Aaah....
    >>

    >> Must watch "Big trouble in little China".

    >> Not really offering any advice, but as Jack Burton would say, "Son of a
    >> bitch must pay"

    > "The check's in the mail...

    Big Trouble in Little China an excellent and entertaining movie.

    In reference to your Firefox problems. I have had a problem caused by some
    unknown program crash or improper shutdown that caused corruption in
    Firefox's profiles or files.

    The solution for a corrupt profile was to simply save my bookmarks and
    erase the entire .mozilla profile then start Firefox generating a new
    profile and copying my bookmarks back into it and reinstalling my addons.
    This will result in a faster cleaner profile without the trash left behind
    by the uprade/removal of the installed addons. It is n general usually a
    bit faster since it doesn't have the unused stubs to process.

    Corruption of the main Firefox binary requires removal then re-installing
    through synaptic or apt-get to clear up the corrupted files.

    I hope this helps you.

    Gnack Nol

  13. Re: Firefox 3.0.3 keeps crashing! Grrr!

    MarkA wrote:
    > I have used Firefox for *years*, and it has always been rock-stable.
    > Lately, however, since upgrading to version 3, it crashes with annoying
    > regularity. It opens strange, unlabeled windows on my screen, and will
    > crash from time to time, seemingly at random. As Lo Pan would say, "This
    > is the kind of thing that really pisses me off!"
    >
    > I'm not looking for advice, BTW, just venting....

    Relieved to see that no one has called you a troll yet. That used to be
    par for this kind of post. Maybe that means Linux users aren't as
    insecure as they used to be. If you'd made a post like this (in the
    Suse group a couple years ago, for instance) the fanatics would have
    bitten your head off.

  14. Re: Firefox 3.0.3 keeps crashing! Grrr!

    Matt illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > MarkA wrote:
    >> I have used Firefox for *years*, and it has always been rock-stable.
    >> Lately, however, since upgrading to version 3, it crashes with annoying
    >> regularity. It opens strange, unlabeled windows on my screen, and will
    >> crash from time to time, seemingly at random. As Lo Pan would say, "This
    >> is the kind of thing that really pisses me off!"
    >>
    >> I'm not looking for advice, BTW, just venting....

    > Relieved to see that no one has called you a troll yet. That used to be
    > par for this kind of post. Maybe that means Linux users aren't as
    > insecure as they used to be. If you'd made a post like this (in the
    > Suse group a couple years ago, for instance) the fanatics would have
    > bitten your head off.

    He's not getting a response as we've all plonked him. ;-)

    This is a joke

    --
    "I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm
    going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He

  15. Re: Firefox 3.0.3 keeps crashing! Grrr!

    Moog wrote:
    > Matt illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> MarkA wrote:
    >>> I have used Firefox for *years*, and it has always been rock-stable.
    >>> Lately, however, since upgrading to version 3, it crashes with annoying
    >>> regularity. It opens strange, unlabeled windows on my screen, and will
    >>> crash from time to time, seemingly at random. As Lo Pan would say, "This
    >>> is the kind of thing that really pisses me off!"
    >>>
    >>> I'm not looking for advice, BTW, just venting....

    >> Relieved to see that no one has called you a troll yet. That used to be
    >> par for this kind of post. Maybe that means Linux users aren't as
    >> insecure as they used to be. If you'd made a post like this (in the
    >> Suse group a couple years ago, for instance) the fanatics would have
    >> bitten your head off.

    > He's not getting a response as we've all plonked him. ;-)
    >

    > This is a joke

    Ha ha. Thanks for the smiley and the note. I don't know that I'm
    especially humorless, but you did actually have me going for about a second.

    BTW I've had a lot of unexplained FF crashes myself from time to time
    although not many lately.

  16. Re: Firefox 3.0.3 keeps crashing! Grrr!

    Matt illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > BTW I've had a lot of unexplained FF crashes myself from time to time
    > although not many lately.

    I've had a fair few too. Mostly Flash related. Closed source blobs
    hack me off.

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

+ Reply to Thread