system sees DVD in drive, but not CD - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on system sees DVD in drive, but not CD - Ubuntu ; I am using HH (8.04), and have a strange problem. I can read DVDs with no problems, whether data files or a video. When I put in a CD, it doesn't appear to be recognised at all. places/computer shows the ...

  1. system sees DVD in drive, but not CD

    I am using HH (8.04), and have a strange problem. I can read DVDs with
    no problems, whether data files or a video. When I put in a CD, it
    doesn't appear to be recognised at all. places/computer shows the drive
    as CD-RW/DVD+/-RW Drive, with unknown type. Clicking this gives the
    error message "Unable to mount location - No media in drive". This
    occurs with both "home made" CDs (from another computer) and with
    commercial audio CDs.

    I can't find anything in help areas for a "half working" drive. All the
    checks for a non-working drive seem to suggest there are no problems with
    it.

    Any clues as to where I can start looking to diagnose the problem?

    Many thanks

    Keith

  2. Re: system sees DVD in drive, but not CD

    keith wrote in

    > I am using HH (8.04), and have a strange problem. I can read DVDs
    > with no problems, whether data files or a video. When I put in a CD,
    > it doesn't appear to be recognised at all. places/computer shows the
    > drive as CD-RW/DVD+/-RW Drive, with unknown type. Clicking this gives
    > the error message "Unable to mount location - No media in drive".
    > This occurs with both "home made" CDs (from another computer) and with
    > commercial audio CDs.
    >
    > I can't find anything in help areas for a "half working" drive. All
    > the checks for a non-working drive seem to suggest there are no
    > problems with it.
    >
    > Any clues as to where I can start looking to diagnose the problem?
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Keith

    FWIW, probably the first thing I would do is disconnect the DVD cable
    and then reconnect it.....maybe there is a logic line that isn't making
    proper connection.

    If that didn't clear up the problem, and if possible, install in and
    check with another computer system.

    Check fstab and permissions. Try using unit as root.

  3. Re: system sees DVD in drive, but not CD

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 11:49:08 -0500, keith quoth:

    > I am using HH (8.04), and have a strange problem. I can read DVDs with
    > no problems, whether data files or a video. When I put in a CD, it
    > doesn't appear to be recognised at all. places/computer shows the drive
    > as CD-RW/DVD+/-RW Drive, with unknown type. Clicking this gives the
    > error message "Unable to mount location - No media in drive". This
    > occurs with both "home made" CDs (from another computer) and with
    > commercial audio CDs.
    >
    > I can't find anything in help areas for a "half working" drive. All the
    > checks for a non-working drive seem to suggest there are no problems with
    > it.
    >
    > Any clues as to where I can start looking to diagnose the problem?

    one of the first things I would do is put in a cd, open up a terminal and
    enter the command 'dmesg'. if you haven't done this before, you will be
    confused by the long set of messages but at the bottom will be some stuff
    of interest. see if there is anything about /dev/sr0 or some other lines
    with /dev.

    if I found /dev/sr0 there, I would find or make a directory and mount that
    sucker there. but getting ahead of ourselves.

    does dmesg show anything interesting? what are the last 5 or so lines?

    you might also run 'mount' and see what the system has mounted and where.

    I think we can figure out mounting the drive though for audio, you don't
    want to mount the cd, you want to play it. but let's see if we can mount
    something.

    Felmon

  4. Re: system sees DVD in drive, but not CD

    > I am using HH (8.04), and have a strange problem. I can read DVDs with
    > no problems, whether data files or a video. When I put in a CD, it
    > doesn't appear to be recognised at all.

    Do you dual boot at all, and if so, does it work under the other OS ?

    Most drives have two separate optical heads for CD and DVD, and it
    could be that one has failed - it most commonly seems to affect the
    DVD side first, but you might have had it the other way around :-}

    Does it appear using any live CDs ?

  5. Re: system sees DVD in drive, but not CD

    * keith wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > I am using HH (8.04), and have a strange problem. I can read DVDs
    > with no problems, whether data files or a video. When I put in a CD,
    > it doesn't appear to be recognised at all. places/computer shows the
    > drive as CD-RW/DVD+/-RW Drive, with unknown type. Clicking this gives
    > the error message "Unable to mount location - No media in drive".
    > This occurs with both "home made" CDs (from another computer) and with
    > commercial audio CDs.
    >
    > I can't find anything in help areas for a "half working" drive. All
    > the checks for a non-working drive seem to suggest there are no
    > problems with it.
    >
    > Any clues as to where I can start looking to diagnose the problem?
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Keith

    What about commercial NON Audio CD's (Like an old AOL CD, come on, youve
    got to have one of those around!) or the Ubuntu Install CD?

    --
    David

  6. Re: system sees DVD in drive, but not CD

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 16:06:58 -0400, Felmon wrote:

    > On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 11:49:08 -0500, keith quoth:
    >
    >> I am using HH (8.04), and have a strange problem. I can read DVDs with
    >> no problems, whether data files or a video. When I put in a CD, it
    >> doesn't appear to be recognised at all. places/computer shows the
    >> drive as CD-RW/DVD+/-RW Drive, with unknown type. Clicking this gives
    >> the error message "Unable to mount location - No media in drive". This
    >> occurs with both "home made" CDs (from another computer) and with
    >> commercial audio CDs.
    >>
    >> I can't find anything in help areas for a "half working" drive. All
    >> the checks for a non-working drive seem to suggest there are no
    >> problems with it.
    >>
    >> Any clues as to where I can start looking to diagnose the problem?

    > one of the first things I would do is put in a cd, open up a terminal
    > and enter the command 'dmesg'. if you haven't done this before, you will
    > be confused by the long set of messages but at the bottom will be some
    > stuff of interest. see if there is anything about /dev/sr0 or some other
    > lines with /dev.
    >
    > if I found /dev/sr0 there, I would find or make a directory and mount
    > that sucker there. but getting ahead of ourselves.
    >
    > does dmesg show anything interesting? what are the last 5 or so lines?
    >
    > you might also run 'mount' and see what the system has mounted and
    > where.
    >
    > I think we can figure out mounting the drive though for audio, you don't
    > want to mount the cd, you want to play it. but let's see if we can mount
    > something.
    >
    > Felmon

    Nothing with /dev at all! Last few line start handle_IRQ...;
    Thread_simple...; do_irqd...; kthread+0.....; kthread+0....;
    kernel_thread...:

    (as an aside, is there a way of picking up text from a terminal window,
    on the lines of cntl-c? Nothiing I try seems to work)

    mount also doesn't show anything that looks like a removable media drive.

    Keith

  7. Re: system sees DVD in drive, but not CD

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 21:24:37 +0100, Colin Wilson wrote:

    >> I am using HH (8.04), and have a strange problem. I can read DVDs with
    >> no problems, whether data files or a video. When I put in a CD, it
    >> doesn't appear to be recognised at all.

    > Do you dual boot at all, and if so, does it work under the other OS ?
    >
    > Most drives have two separate optical heads for CD and DVD, and it could
    > be that one has failed - it most commonly seems to affect the DVD side
    > first, but you might have had it the other way around :-}
    >
    > Does it appear using any live CDs ?

    No other system in the box! It doesn't seem to see any CD at all. I
    didn't know that the drives used separate heads for DVD and CD - that
    could be an explanation of the problem. I have another box with similar
    hardware in it. I will try swapping the two drives and see whether the
    Ubuntu box starts to sing again! 8-)

    Ta!

    Keith

  8. Re: system sees DVD in drive, but not CD

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 20:55:19 +0000, SINNER wrote:

    > What about commercial NON Audio CD's (Like an old AOL CD, come on, youve
    > got to have one of those around!) or the Ubuntu Install CD?

    I've tried all sorts of CD - non raise the slightest sign on
    recognition! I'm afraid I don't have any AOL stuff - refuse to have it
    in the house since they skinned me for a few hours connection back in
    1993 (or so) - pre web days, when I got charged for connections to France
    when the number I dialled was in UK! (Oh for the days of Lynx!)

    Keith

  9. Re: system sees DVD in drive, but not CD

    In article ,
    keith wrote:
    > On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 16:06:58 -0400, Felmon wrote:
    >
    > > I think we can figure out mounting the drive though for audio, you don't
    > > want to mount the cd, you want to play it. but let's see if we can mount
    > > something.

    > Nothing with /dev at all! Last few line start handle_IRQ...;
    > Thread_simple...; do_irqd...; kthread+0.....; kthread+0....;
    > kernel_thread...:
    >
    > (as an aside, is there a way of picking up text from a terminal window,
    > on the lines of cntl-c? Nothiing I try seems to work)

    With some terminal emulators, you can hold down shift and select the
    text, to be stuck into an app of your choice. Double-click to select a
    word, triple-click to select a line.

    "tail -f /var/log/syslog" while you insert the disc may be useful. See
    if you can manually mount the disc (no partitions, and remember it's
    read-only).

    LIBRA: A big promotion is just around the corner for someone
    much more talented than you. Laughter is the very best medicine,
    remember that when your appendix bursts next week. -- Weird Al

  10. Re: system sees DVD in drive, but not CD

    keith wrote in

    > (as an aside, is there a way of picking up text from a terminal window,
    > on the lines of cntl-c? Nothiing I try seems to work)

    just highlight the text you want to copy with your mouse. Then right click
    and select copy.

  11. Re: system sees DVD in drive, but not CD

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 17:39:39 -0500, keith quoth:

    > Nothing with /dev at all! Last few line start handle_IRQ...;
    > Thread_simple...; do_irqd...; kthread+0.....; kthread+0....;
    > kernel_thread...:

    then I don't know and it sounds like you should check for hardware
    problems as Colin Wilson suggests.

    he suggests an interesting point of failure - come to think of it, I may
    have experienced the dvd failure mode once. wouldn't have occurred to me.

    googling on "linux 'cannot read cds'" reveals a lot of hits (affecting
    both Windows and Linux). one guy says, lapidarily, "able to read DVDs and
    cannot read CDs? the first sign of the dying drive."

    Felmon

  12. Re: system sees DVD in drive, but not CD

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 21:24:37 +0100, Colin Wilson wrote:

    > Most drives have two separate optical heads for CD and DVD, and it could
    > be that one has failed - it most commonly seems to affect the DVD side
    > first, but you might have had it the other way around :-}
    >
    > Does it appear using any live CDs ?

    Forgot to check it with a live CD before I swapped the drives (always
    used DVDs on this machine). However, your suggestion of a head failure
    appears to be correct. Swapping in a known good DVD/CD drive has
    resulted in being able to listen to music while I waste the hours
    avoiding doing the household jobs I should be getting on with! 8-)

    It's off to the component supply sites to order a new drive - I wonder
    what other magic goodies I'll be tempted into whilst I'm there?

    Many thanks to all who made suggestions as to how to solve the problem.
    It's increased my knowledge of linux by another quantum step. I should
    have known it wouldn't be the software - Ubuntu is far too reliable for
    that!

    Keith

  13. Re: system sees DVD in drive, but not CD

    In article ,
    keith wrote:
    > On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 19:36:46 -0400, Hactar wrote:
    >

    > > "tail -f /var/log/syslog" while you insert the disc may be useful. See
    > > if you can manually mount the disc (no partitions, and remember it's
    > > read-only).

    > syslog gives:

    (once trimmed down to remove the common informationp)

    sda is probably your hard drive and sdb is probably your CD-ROM.

    > [ 1795.168009] sd 0:0:1:0: [sdb] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
    > [ 1795.168050] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 312581808 512-byte hardware sectors (160042 MB)
    > [ 1795.168073] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
    > [ 1795.168079] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 00 3a 00 00
    > [ 1795.168116] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
    > [ 1795.168153] sd 0:0:1:0: [sdb] 312581808 512-byte hardware sectors (160042 MB)
    > [ 1795.168176] sd 0:0:1:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
    > [ 1795.168181] sd 0:0:1:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: 00 3a 00 00
    > [ 1795.168217] sd 0:0:1:0: [sdb] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA

    ^- time? -^ ^--------^ ^^^ ^-- message
    SCSI disk friendly
    device:bus:ID:LUN: name
    ID 0 = master,
    ID 1 = slave

    So I don't know why it's reporting stuff about your hard drive, much
    less why that data is the same as for your CD-ROM. I'm guessing that
    in some config file you've got sda (or worse, both) where you should
    have sdb. "find /etc -type f -print0 | xargs -0 grep sda" and see if
    any of those should obviously be sdb?

    LIBRA: A big promotion is just around the corner for someone
    much more talented than you. Laughter is the very best medicine,
    remember that when your appendix bursts next week. -- Weird Al

  14. Re: system sees DVD in drive, but not CD

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 11:49:08 -0500, keith wrote:

    > I am using HH (8.04), and have a strange problem. I can read DVDs with
    > no problems, whether data files or a video. When I put in a CD, it
    > doesn't appear to be recognised at all. places/computer shows the drive
    > as CD-RW/DVD+/-RW Drive, with unknown type. Clicking this gives the
    > error message "Unable to mount location - No media in drive". This
    > occurs with both "home made" CDs (from another computer) and with
    > commercial audio CDs.
    >
    > I can't find anything in help areas for a "half working" drive. All the
    > checks for a non-working drive seem to suggest there are no problems with
    > it.
    >
    > Any clues as to where I can start looking to diagnose the problem?
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Keith

    My $0.02: Sounds like a hardware problem. Bite the bullet, invest $25 in
    a new drive, and I bet it will work just fine.

    --
    MarkA
    Keeper of Things Put There Only Just The Night Before

+ Reply to Thread