Ubunto 8.04 and Matrox G400 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubunto 8.04 and Matrox G400 - Ubuntu ; Hi Beeing a novice I'm having difficulties getting a G400 to work in 1024x1280 with Ubuntu 8.04 on a desktop PC. I have installed the desktop version and the result is that I can choose between 400x300, 640x480 and 800x600 ...

  1. Ubunto 8.04 and Matrox G400

    Hi

    Beeing a novice I'm having difficulties getting a G400 to work in 1024x1280
    with Ubuntu 8.04 on a desktop PC.

    I have installed the desktop version and the result is that I can choose
    between 400x300, 640x480 and 800x600

    I have searched google and found some advice trying a command like: "sudo
    dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" but the configuration never contains anything
    about the display properties, only something about keyboards!!!!!

    I have also tried to edit the /etc/x11/xorg.conf but it contains no line
    with displ resolution or anything like it.

    I thought that linux, specially UBUNTU, was a mature product that would
    create a useful PC "out of the box" without the need of an IT-expert.

    I'm shortly back to Mr. Gates and his Windows - it works for people like me
    much more "straight forward"

    Rgds
    Jens

    PS: I tried another PC with a "Radeon 9600" card - even worse - after
    restart the monitor informs me that the resolution is outside the range of
    the monitor (max 1280x1024)

  2. Re: Ubunto 8.04 and Matrox G400

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 15:03:43 +0200, Jens wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Beeing a novice I'm having difficulties getting a G400 to work in
    > 1024x1280 with Ubuntu 8.04 on a desktop PC.

    [...]

    > I'm shortly back to Mr. Gates and his Windows

    In which case, why did you bother posting to this group?

    Byeeeee,

    --
    Lionel B

  3. Re: Ubunto 8.04 and Matrox G400

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 15:03:43 +0200, Jens wrote:

    > Hi

    > I'm shortly back to Mr. Gates and his Windows - it works for people like
    > me much more "straight forward"

    Don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out.

  4. Re: Ubunto 8.04 and Matrox G400

    In Lionel B:

    [Snip...]

    > In which case, why did you bother posting to this group?

    It's like a public service announcement: "I'M A WINTROLL--PLONK ME!!!"

    I toss GoogleGroup posts from gitgo (http://improve-usenet.org).

  5. Re: Ubunto 8.04 and Matrox G400

    [snips]

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 15:03:43 +0200, Jens wrote:

    > I thought that linux, specially UBUNTU, was a mature product that would
    > create a useful PC "out of the box" without the need of an IT-expert.
    >
    > I'm shortly back to Mr. Gates and his Windows - it works for people like
    > me much more "straight forward"

    Because, after all, no Windows box in history has ever had a problem like
    this.

    Sorry, we don't need another half-witted troll here; we have plenty.

  6. Re: Ubunto 8.04 and Matrox G400

    "Jens" wrote in
    news:48f34731$0$56779$edfadb0f@dtext02.news.tele.d k:

    > Hi
    >
    > Beeing a novice I'm having difficulties getting a G400 to work in
    > 1024x1280 with Ubuntu 8.04 on a desktop PC.
    >
    > I have installed the desktop version and the result is that I can
    > choose between 400x300, 640x480 and 800x600

    > I have also tried to edit the /etc/x11/xorg.conf but it contains no
    > line with displ resolution or anything like it.

    Probably you will need to add the horizontal and vertical refresh rates
    of your monitor to xorg.conf. For further details on this you might want
    to check out the following web page:

    If you prefer a more straight ahead solution, you might want to try
    downloading and installing the Kubuntu LiveCD ISO
    (http://www.kubuntu.org/) .....it will allow you to choose a monitor and
    graphics card models from a manufacturer/model list (as long as the make
    and model are included in the list) and automatically add the horizontal
    and vertical refresh rates to the xorg.conf file.

    FWIW....the Matrox Millennium G400 card appears in Kubuntu's supported
    video card list.

    Post your monitor's make/model back here and I or someone else can
    confirm whether or not it's in the Kubuntu monitor listing.

    Tip for ya.......if you are making further enquiries, please provide as
    much information about your system as you can. Not everyone knows what
    a "G400" is (including me; I had to google to find the relevent
    information).

    > I thought that linux, specially UBUNTU, was a mature product that
    > would create a useful PC "out of the box" without the need of an
    > IT-expert.

    Old saying about "don't believe everything you hear" and "nothing's
    perfect" comes to mind. ;-)

    > I'm shortly back to Mr. Gates and his Windows - it works for people
    > like me much more "straight forward"

    There is a new version of the ubuntu flavours coming out at the end of
    the month, if the present 8.04 version isn't quite to your liking, you
    may want to check out the 8.10 release.

    As an aside and FWIW, it would appear that the Ubuntu v8.10 beta doesn't
    include manufacturer/model monitor and video card selection; maybe it
    will be included in the final release.....but why it wasn't included in
    previous versions is beyound my ken.....pretty basic stuff, IMHO.

    > PS: I tried another PC with a "Radeon 9600" card - even worse - after
    > restart the monitor informs me that the resolution is outside the
    > range of the monitor (max 1280x1024)

  7. Re: Ubunto 8.04 and Matrox G400

    wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >Beeing a novice I'm having difficulties getting a G400 to work in 1024x1280
    >with Ubuntu 8.04 on a desktop PC.
    >
    >I have installed the desktop version and the result is that I can choose
    >between 400x300, 640x480 and 800x600
    >
    >I have searched google and found some advice trying a command like: "sudo
    >dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" but the configuration never contains anything
    >about the display properties, only something about keyboards!!!!!
    >
    >I have also tried to edit the /etc/x11/xorg.conf but it contains no line
    >with displ resolution or anything like it.
    >
    >I thought that linux, specially UBUNTU, was a mature product that would
    >create a useful PC "out of the box" without the need of an IT-expert.
    >
    >I'm shortly back to Mr. Gates and his Windows - it works for people like me
    >much more "straight forward"
    >
    >Rgds
    >Jens
    >
    >PS: I tried another PC with a "Radeon 9600" card - even worse - after
    >restart the monitor informs me that the resolution is outside the range of
    >the monitor (max 1280x1024)

    Open a terminal window and type

    gksu displayconfig-gtk - you might have to install it.

    A gui window will open and you can choose your video card and monitor.
    I *think* your card is listed. If your particular monitor is not there
    see if there is something close from the same manufacturer. I used a
    17" LG monitor and its modelines worked for my 19" LG monitor. I also
    chose a P650 Millenium card instead of a P750 and that worked too. I
    now have all kinds of resolution choices. Might work for you too.

    Roy

    ---
    "When the president does it that means that it is not illegal."
    -- Richard Nixon

  8. Re: Ubunto 8.04 and Matrox G400

    Roy Strachan wrote in

    > gksu displayconfig-gtk - you might have to install it.

    Thanks for sending this info along, Roy. I wasn't aware of this program
    existence or that it was already installed on my system. :-)

    propman this proggie isn't offered as an option on any of the system menus)

  9. Re: Ubunto 8.04 and Matrox G400

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 04:47:46 +0000 (UTC), propman
    wrote:

    >Roy Strachan wrote in
    >
    >> gksu displayconfig-gtk - you might have to install it.
    >>

    >Thanks for sending this info along, Roy. I wasn't aware of this program
    >existence or that it was already installed on my system. :-)
    >

    >propman >this proggie isn't offered as an option on any of the system menus)

    Yeah, I just found out about it too. I've only had Ubuntu installed
    on this system for a year; I guess that's not too long to figure out
    how to set up the video card. )

    ---
    "When the president does it that means that it is not illegal."
    -- Richard Nixon

  10. Re: Ubunto 8.04 and Matrox G400

    Roy Strachan wrote in

    > On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 04:47:46 +0000 (UTC), propman
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Roy Strachan wrote in
    >>
    >>> gksu displayconfig-gtk - you might have to install it.
    >>>

    >>Thanks for sending this info along, Roy. I wasn't aware of this
    >>program existence or that it was already installed on my system. :-)
    >>

    >>propman >>heck this proggie isn't offered as an option on any of the system
    >>menus)

    > Yeah, I just found out about it too. I've only had Ubuntu installed
    > on this system for a year; I guess that's not too long to figure out
    > how to set up the video card. )

    Heh! :-)

    The weird thing is though, that Kubuntu does have it or a similar
    proggie showing on a system menu right from the LiveCD install! If the
    Ubuntu 8.10 beta is any indication, it doesn't look like they are going
    to include it on the menus in the new release either. Beyond my ken,
    that's for sure.

    FWIW, I also feel the same way about "Prefered Applications", "Hardware
    Drivers" and "Prefered Applications"!

  11. Re: Ubunto 8.04 and Matrox G400

    Jens wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Beeing a novice I'm having difficulties getting a G400 to work in
    > 1024x1280 with Ubuntu 8.04 on a desktop PC.
    >
    > I have installed the desktop version and the result is that I can choose
    > between 400x300, 640x480 and 800x600
    >
    > I have searched google and found some advice trying a command like: "sudo
    > dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" but the configuration never contains
    > anything about the display properties, only something about keyboards!!!!!
    >
    > I have also tried to edit the /etc/x11/xorg.conf but it contains no line
    > with displ resolution or anything like it.
    >
    > I thought that linux, specially UBUNTU, was a mature product that would
    > create a useful PC "out of the box" without the need of an IT-expert.
    >
    > I'm shortly back to Mr. Gates and his Windows - it works for people like
    > me much more "straight forward"
    >
    > Rgds
    > Jens
    >
    > PS: I tried another PC with a "Radeon 9600" card - even worse - after
    > restart the monitor informs me that the resolution is outside the range of
    > the monitor (max 1280x1024)

    Gawd, that card has been around for years and well supported by every Linux
    distro I've ever used. What does a modes like look like
    in /etc/X11/xorg.conf? What driver is it using? Again, you'll see this in
    xorg.conf

    If you want to post your xorg.conf here, I'm sure it's easily fixable.

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

  12. Re: Ubunto 8.04 and Matrox G400

    On 14/10/08 15:47, propman wrote:
    > Roy Strachan wrote in
    >
    >> gksu displayconfig-gtk - you might have to install it.
    >>

    > Thanks for sending this info along, Roy. I wasn't aware of this program
    > existence or that it was already installed on my system. :-)
    >

    > propman > this proggie isn't offered as an option on any of the system menus)

    On Ubuntu 7.10 it is at

    System > Administration > Screens and Graphics

    If it isn't there, right-click on Applications and select Edit Menus.

  13. Re: Ubunto 8.04 and Matrox G400

    James C wrote in

    > On 14/10/08 15:47, propman wrote:
    >> Roy Strachan wrote in
    >>
    >>> gksu displayconfig-gtk - you might have to install it.
    >>>

    >> Thanks for sending this info along, Roy. I wasn't aware of this
    >> program existence or that it was already installed on my system. :-)
    >>

    >> propman >> heck this proggie isn't offered as an option on any of the system
    >> menus)

    > On Ubuntu 7.10 it is at
    >
    > System > Administration > Screens and Graphics
    >
    > If it isn't there, right-click on Applications and select Edit Menus.

    Hmmm....interesting. No "Screens and Graphics" in either area for
    v8.04; guess they must have taken it out for hardy release; v8.04 has
    Preference -> Screen Resolution which doesn't offer the Monitor/Graphics
    card options like displayconfig-gtk or the Kubuntu v8.04. I've
    installed the LiveCD v8.04 on several boxes now, so probably would have
    noticed it before if it was just a case of not being installed properly
    the one time.

    Anyways, thanks for the headsup....much appreciated. :-)

+ Reply to Thread