wicd and Gnome Network Manager - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on wicd and Gnome Network Manager - Ubuntu ; Hi, I have recently added Intrepid Ibex to my laptop and it is good to be back with Ubuntu again. But I found an old adversary still in place: the Gnome Network Manager. I know that many are happy with ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 50

  1. wicd and Gnome Network Manager

    Hi,

    I have recently added Intrepid Ibex to my laptop and it is good to be
    back with Ubuntu again. But I found an old adversary still in place:
    the Gnome Network Manager.

    I know that many are happy with NM but can I ask how many have done as I
    have and gone over to wicd? A fantastic piece of software that has never
    let me down and more specifically has never forgotten my wireless
    password as NM invariably does.

    Andrew

    --
    echo 'http://www.andrews-corner.org/mutt.html' | \
    sed -e 's/\///g' -e 's/.\{12\}$/com/' \

  2. Re: wicd and Gnome Network Manager

    andrew wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have recently added Intrepid Ibex to my laptop and it is good to be
    > back with Ubuntu again. But I found an old adversary still in place:
    > the Gnome Network Manager.
    >
    > I know that many are happy with NM but can I ask how many have done as I
    > have and gone over to wicd? A fantastic piece of software that has never
    > let me down and more specifically has never forgotten my wireless
    > password as NM invariably does.

    I've found Network Mangler to be /entirely/ useless (though some say it
    works OK). The first thing I do after an install of Ubuntu is to replace
    NM with WICD, then download all the updates and bug fixes. WICD "just
    works" on every machine I've tried it on.

    C.

  3. Re: wicd and Gnome Network Manager

    On 2008-10-13, Christopher Hunter wrote:

    > I've found Network Mangler to be /entirely/ useless (though some say it
    > works OK). The first thing I do after an install of Ubuntu is to replace
    > NM with WICD, then download all the updates and bug fixes. WICD "just
    > works" on every machine I've tried it on.

    I note that wicd is no included in the Intrepid repository which is a
    pity but good on the wicd developers for creating a 3rd party
    repository.

    Andrew

    --
    echo 'http://www.andrews-corner.org/mutt.html' | \
    sed -e 's/\///g' -e 's/.\{12\}$/com/' \
    -e 's/s-.\{6\}/@gmail/' -e 's/^.\{8\}/usenet/'

  4. Re: wicd and Gnome Network Manager

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 08:05:32 +0000, Christopher Hunter wrote:

    > andrew wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have recently added Intrepid Ibex to my laptop and it is good to be
    >> back with Ubuntu again. But I found an old adversary still in place: the
    >> Gnome Network Manager.
    >>
    >> I know that many are happy with NM but can I ask how many have done as I
    >> have and gone over to wicd? A fantastic piece of software that has never
    >> let me down and more specifically has never forgotten my wireless
    >> password as NM invariably does.

    > I've found Network Mangler to be /entirely/ useless (though some say it
    > works OK). The first thing I do after an install of Ubuntu is to replace
    > NM with WICD, then download all the updates and bug fixes. WICD "just
    > works" on every machine I've tried it on.
    >
    > C.

    I've never managed to get Wicd to work properly. There's a bug which stops
    the GUI from displaying sometimes on 8.04. I tried it again last week and
    it then had DBUS errors, which is also in the bug list. I reverted to NM.

  5. Re: wicd and Gnome Network Manager

    Phil Stovell wrote:
    > I've never managed to get Wicd to work properly. There's a bug which stops
    > the GUI from displaying sometimes on 8.04. I tried it again last week and
    > it then had DBUS errors, which is also in the bug list. I reverted to NM.

    Me too. I've found wicd to be a pain, and NM to work very well.

    See how this goes round and round, andrew? The discussion belongs more
    in an advocacy NG.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  6. Re: wicd and Gnome Network Manager

    On 2008-10-13, johnny bobby bee wrote:
    > Phil Stovell wrote:
    >> I've never managed to get Wicd to work properly. There's a bug which stops
    >> the GUI from displaying sometimes on 8.04. I tried it again last week and
    >> it then had DBUS errors, which is also in the bug list. I reverted to NM.

    > Me too. I've found wicd to be a pain, and NM to work very well.
    >
    > See how this goes round and round, andrew? The discussion belongs more
    > in an advocacy NG.

    I would politely disagree. If this post were in an advocacy NG there
    would be no rational discussion, simply a lining up on each side of an
    argument, some abuse and eventually both hints and accusations of
    aberrant sexuality. Of course perhaps all of this has yet to come in
    this thread :-).

    My point, based on personal experience, is that I believe when wicd is
    properly configured it signicantly outperforms the gnome network manager
    and at the very least it is an _alternative_ for it in Intrepid Ibex.

    On my own system wicd runs flawlessly. The Network Manager on the other
    hand:

    1. Does not remember passwords for wired or unwired connections
    2. Connects to both _very_ slowly, at times painfully slowly
    3. Connects at a consistently lower speed to wicd
    4. Is less reliable for detecting wireless networks when I am travelling
    5. Configuration is arguably less intuitive than wicd

    But it is not my intention to precipitate a COLA discussion, simply to
    see if others shared my experience. I note a recent poll on the Ubuntu
    forums that was pretty well split 50 / 50:

    So I think it is a legitimate question, if not perhaps one that has been
    debated in some depth elsewhere.

    Andrew

    --
    echo 'http://www.andrews-corner.org/mutt.html' | \
    sed -e 's/\///g' -e 's/.\{12\}$/com/' \
    -e 's/s-.\{6\}/@gmail/' -e 's/^.\{8\}/usenet/'

  7. Re: wicd and Gnome Network Manager

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 10:14:30 +0000, johnny bobby bee wrote:

    > Phil Stovell wrote:
    >> I've never managed to get Wicd to work properly. There's a bug which
    >> stops the GUI from displaying sometimes on 8.04. I tried it again last
    >> week and it then had DBUS errors, which is also in the bug list. I
    >> reverted to NM.

    > Me too. I've found wicd to be a pain, and NM to work very well.
    >
    > See how this goes round and round, andrew? The discussion belongs more in
    > an advocacy NG.

    I want to use Wicd because it will allow me to use a fixed IP for both
    wired and wireless on this laptop. But as it doesn't work, I can't.

  8. Re: wicd and Gnome Network Manager

    In <20081013213124.435@skamandros.andrews-corner.org> andrew:

    [Snip...]

    > So I think it is a legitimate question

    I completely agree; advocacy and especially COLA doesn't seem you. It is
    rare I don't get something very useful from any of your writing.

    (FWIW I plonked "johnny bobby bee" wayback as obvious baiting/badgering)

    I toss GoogleGroup posts from gitgo (http://improve-usenet.org).

  9. Re: wicd and Gnome Network Manager

    I have my laptop on Intrepid.

    Unlike with Hardy, NetworkManager "basically works", it lets me use
    ethernet, wifi and wireless broadband. It has some problems, such as
    bothering me with keyring at boot, but as of now, it works.
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  10. Re: wicd and Gnome Network Manager

    Phil Stovell wrote:

    > On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 08:05:32 +0000, Christopher Hunter wrote:
    >
    >> andrew wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I have recently added Intrepid Ibex to my laptop and it is good to be
    >>> back with Ubuntu again. But I found an old adversary still in place: the
    >>> Gnome Network Manager.
    >>>
    >>> I know that many are happy with NM but can I ask how many have done as I
    >>> have and gone over to wicd? A fantastic piece of software that has never
    >>> let me down and more specifically has never forgotten my wireless
    >>> password as NM invariably does.

    >> I've found Network Mangler to be /entirely/ useless (though some say it
    >> works OK). The first thing I do after an install of Ubuntu is to replace
    >> NM with WICD, then download all the updates and bug fixes. WICD "just
    >> works" on every machine I've tried it on.
    >>
    >> C.

    > I've never managed to get Wicd to work properly. There's a bug which stops
    > the GUI from displaying sometimes on 8.04. I tried it again last week and
    > it then had DBUS errors, which is also in the bug list. I reverted to NM.

    That's strange - it works flawlessly every time I've installed it on 8.04!

    C.

  11. Re: wicd and Gnome Network Manager

    I tried wicd again, and found out that it does not support modems and
    CDMA. If so, I am not interested, so I uninstalled it and put NM
    back.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  12. Re: wicd and Gnome Network Manager

    Christopher Hunter schreef:
    > andrew wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have recently added Intrepid Ibex to my laptop and it is good to be
    >> back with Ubuntu again. But I found an old adversary still in place:
    >> the Gnome Network Manager.
    >>
    >> I know that many are happy with NM but can I ask how many have done as I
    >> have and gone over to wicd? A fantastic piece of software that has never
    >> let me down and more specifically has never forgotten my wireless
    >> password as NM invariably does.

    > I've found Network Mangler to be /entirely/ useless (though some say it
    > works OK). The first thing I do after an install of Ubuntu is to replace
    > NM with WICD, then download all the updates and bug fixes. WICD "just
    > works" on every machine I've tried it on.
    >
    > C.

    I agree, especially when WPA encryption is needed NM fails while wicd
    just works.

  13. Re: wicd and Gnome Network Manager

    Christopher Hunter wrote:
    > andrew wrote:
    >

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have recently added Intrepid Ibex to my laptop and it is good to be
    >> back with Ubuntu again. But I found an old adversary still in place:
    >> the Gnome Network Manager.
    >>
    >> I know that many are happy with NM but can I ask how many have done as I
    >> have and gone over to wicd? A fantastic piece of software that has never
    >> let me down and more specifically has never forgotten my wireless
    >> password as NM invariably does.
    >>

    > I've found Network Mangler to be /entirely/ useless (though some say it
    > works OK). The first thing I do after an install of Ubuntu is to replace
    > NM with WICD, then download all the updates and bug fixes. WICD "just
    > works" on every machine I've tried it on.
    >
    > C.

    I've heard a lot about NM, but don't know what it is. Neither do I know
    about WICD.

    Are these really needed?

    BTW, I have around 45 working computers on my LAN.

    I use ifconfig, route, ip, and edit such files as
    /etc/network/interfaces, /etc/hosts, /etc/resolvconf.

    Works fine on any distro, on any PC.

    --
    John

  14. Re: wicd and Gnome Network Manager

    On 2008-10-13, John F. Morse wrote:
    > I've heard a lot about NM, but don't know what it is. Neither do I know
    > about WICD.
    >
    > Are these really needed?
    >
    > BTW, I have around 45 working computers on my LAN.
    >
    > I use ifconfig, route, ip, and edit such files as
    > /etc/network/interfaces, /etc/hosts, /etc/resolvconf.
    >
    > Works fine on any distro, on any PC.

    Try a "laptop".
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  15. Re: wicd and Gnome Network Manager

    Phil Stovell wrote:
    > On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 10:14:30 +0000, johnny bobby bee wrote:
    >

    >> Phil Stovell wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've never managed to get Wicd to work properly. There's a bug which
    >>> stops the GUI from displaying sometimes on 8.04. I tried it again last
    >>> week and it then had DBUS errors, which is also in the bug list. I
    >>> reverted to NM.
    >>>

    >> Me too. I've found wicd to be a pain, and NM to work very well.
    >>
    >> See how this goes round and round, andrew? The discussion belongs more in
    >> an advocacy NG.
    >>

    > I want to use Wicd because it will allow me to use a fixed IP for both
    > wired and wireless on this laptop. But as it doesn't work, I can't.

    Huh?

    I don't use Wicd, nor NM, and all of my computers use static IPs. I do
    not use dynamic IPs (DHCP) -- ever.

    I guess it doesn't matter to someone who owns a single PC, but if you
    ever have multiple PCs, you need to be able to address them in some
    logical way.

    I use static IPs, and I use BIND9, so I don't need to remember the IPs.

    --
    John

  16. Re: wicd and Gnome Network Manager

    andrew illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > 1. Does not remember passwords for wired or unwired connections

    You need to right click nm-applet, -> Edit Connections -> Select the
    connection (you have to do this with each connection you use, if more
    than one). Enable the check boxes "Connect Automatically" and "System
    Setting"

    This is new to Intrepid and works exceptionally well.

    > 2. Connects to both _very_ slowly, at times painfully slowly

    Hmmm. Misconfiguration (see above) perhaps?

    > 3. Connects at a consistently lower speed to wicd

    Do you mean the "percentage" reading?
    AFAIC, it shows accurate info. I've used both wicd and Windows
    connection manager that show near perfect connections. Basically, they
    lied. The throughput was identical to nm's reading even though nm was
    showing 70%. It's not a new phenomon to "big yourself up"

    > 4. Is less reliable for detecting wireless networks when I am travelling

    Hmm. NM here is spot on. Gives me better range (but lower percentages)
    than anything else I've tried.

    > 5. Configuration is arguably less intuitive than wicd

    It is *definitely* less intuitive. But if that actually mattered, we'd
    all be running Macs or MS.

    > But it is not my intention to precipitate a COLA discussion, simply to
    > see if others shared my experience. I note a recent poll on the Ubuntu
    > forums that was pretty well split 50 / 50:

    > So I think it is a legitimate question, if not perhaps one that has been
    > debated in some depth elsewhere.

    My view. Network Manager in Intrepid has moved on leaps and bounds
    (specifically over Hardy's). I just needed to learn the differences
    and nuances. It's stabler, quicker to connect and gives what I class
    as accurate connection info. I'm more than happy with it.

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

  17. Re: wicd and Gnome Network Manager

    andrew wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have recently added Intrepid Ibex to my laptop and it is good to be
    > back with Ubuntu again. But I found an old adversary still in place:
    > the Gnome Network Manager.
    >
    > I know that many are happy with NM but can I ask how many have done as I
    > have and gone over to wicd? A fantastic piece of software that has never
    > let me down and more specifically has never forgotten my wireless
    > password as NM invariably does.
    >
    > Andrew

    Never got NM to work on my Acre laptop - wicd does and remembers my
    various profiles and always connect autimatically.

  18. Re: wicd and Gnome Network Manager

    Ignoramus31919 wrote:
    > On 2008-10-13, John F. Morse wrote:
    >
    >> I've heard a lot about NM, but don't know what it is. Neither do I know
    >> about WICD.
    >>
    >> Are these really needed?
    >>
    >> BTW, I have around 45 working computers on my LAN.
    >>
    >> I use ifconfig, route, ip, and edit such files as
    >> /etc/network/interfaces, /etc/hosts, /etc/resolvconf.
    >>
    >> Works fine on any distro, on any PC.
    >>

    > Try a "laptop".

    Why?

    --
    John

  19. Re: wicd and Gnome Network Manager

    On 2008-10-13, John F. Morse wrote:
    > Ignoramus31919 wrote:
    >> On 2008-10-13, John F. Morse wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've heard a lot about NM, but don't know what it is. Neither do I know
    >>> about WICD.
    >>>
    >>> Are these really needed?
    >>>
    >>> BTW, I have around 45 working computers on my LAN.
    >>>
    >>> I use ifconfig, route, ip, and edit such files as
    >>> /etc/network/interfaces, /etc/hosts, /etc/resolvconf.
    >>>
    >>> Works fine on any distro, on any PC.
    >>>

    >> Try a "laptop".
    >>

    > Why?

    Then you would realize the value of NetworkManager.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  20. Re: wicd and Gnome Network Manager

    andrew wrote:

    > I know that many are happy with NM but can I ask how many have done as I
    > have and gone over to wicd? A fantastic piece of software that has never
    > let me down and more specifically has never forgotten my wireless
    > password as NM invariably does.

    Took it off my slack box fairly quickly. It had two ethernet cards and one
    wifi card. It kept messing around with one of the ethernet cards that I
    wanted left well alone. Suspect that there is an option somewhere to make
    it ignore certain interfaces, but I binned it as it was hacking me off!

    Not quite your application.

    Pete

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk