wicd and Gnome Network Manager - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on wicd and Gnome Network Manager - Ubuntu ; John F. Morse schreef: > Ignoramus31919 wrote: >> On 2008-10-14, John F. Morse wrote: >> >>> The point of my question was *WHY* should *I* try a laptop? >>> >> >> I need a laptop to be connected on the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 50 of 50

  1. Re: wicd and Gnome Network Manager

    John F. Morse schreef:
    > Ignoramus31919 wrote:
    >> On 2008-10-14, John F. Morse wrote:
    >>
    >>> The point of my question was *WHY* should *I* try a laptop?
    >>>

    >> I need a laptop to be connected on the go or when visiting places and
    >> people. I am typing this very message from my pickup truck on the
    >> road, waiting for my kid to buy something at gas station.
    >>

    > *YOUR* needs are different than *MY* needs, hence the question.
    >

    >>> Furthermore, if I did, I would plug it into the LAN using a CAT-5
    >>> cable, not WiFi.
    >>>

    >> Cat5 is obsolete.
    >>

    > It certainly isn't! It works fine for the designed speed at the designed
    > length.
    >
    > Some of the stuff may be CAT-5E or CAT-6. I just used the generic term
    > instead of "Ethernet" since that term can mean different things (like
    > fiber).
    >

    >> And how can you plug a computer into cat5 on the road?
    >>

    > Most motels have a jack available.
    >
    > I hope you don't drive and use your PC at the same time! That would be
    > worse than a cell phone driver!
    >

    >>> Because a computer is a laptop, notebook, Powerbook, desktop, tower,
    >>> mini or mainframe doesn't have anything to do with the type of
    >>> networking used.
    >>>

    >> But it doies have something to do with WHERE IT IS TAKEN.
    >>

    > Only if you consider convenience, or if you have a limited space, like a
    > submarine or space vehicle.
    >
    > Granted, you're not likely to be running a mini or mainframe on the
    > road, but that is not impossible, depending on your vehicle. ;-)
    >
    > Seeing laptops sitting in one place on people's desks day after day
    > shows they are clueless "appliance operators" and not "power users."
    >
    > They are the same people who wear an iPod or Walkman all day, while I
    > prefer a wall of component equipment.
    >
    > I have a love for hardware as well as software. Appliance users just
    > don't understand hardware. Most don't understand software either. ;-)
    >

    >>> I don't have laptops for several reasons, mainly price and their
    >>> proprietary design making "modification" (additions) nearly impossible.
    >>>
    >>> I have taken a desktop on trips when I needed a PC for reporting
    >>> daily time, etc. Or maintaining my own servers when on the road.
    >>>

    >> scary
    >>

    > Why is that? Back when I did it (c. 1997) there weren't many laptops,
    > and (as now) their cost was too high for the convenience.
    >

    >>> And the load included a 17" CRT monitor as well. ;-)
    >>>

    >> It quickly gets very pricey with the modern airline baggage charges.

    > Don't know. I drove a 1/2 ton van in 1997. I had a nice wooden box that
    > was perfect for the tower, the CRT monitor, the keyboard, mouse, and a
    > dial-up modem. There was no broadband then.
    >
    > The only recent air travel was to Disney World in 1996, on a free trip
    > my wife won. I had no use for a computer during that trip. I can put the
    > things down. At least for a week.
    >
    > After then it's time to hunt down a university library.... ;-)
    >
    > I thought airlines charged a certain fee per bag, and not by weight?

    Simply said you're behind the times

    This is the age of the netbooks and wifi or 3G.
    Hotels and other public access points like airports have mainly, if not
    exclusively wifi access, cables like cat-5 are hardly ever supported any
    more.
    Even in our company offices the only net access we offer to visitors is
    via wifi.

    The network manager should offer a single, well structured place for
    most things connection related.

    wicd is especially 'just working', knetworkmanager in KDE4 is another
    well laid out attempt, it has a little niggle, it's completely unreliable.

  2. Re: wicd and Gnome Network Manager

    Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    > John F. Morse schreef:
    >> Moog wrote:
    >>> andrew illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> Never ever regret posting a thought provoking comment.
    >>> It brings out various experiences in Ubuntu users.
    >>> I've also found Network Manager to be flawed but perfectly adequate
    >>> after a quick google. Maybe I've just been quilty of a little more
    >>> perseverence.
    >>>
    >>> I've also noticed many seem to find wicd just as troublesome (which
    >>> surprised me vastly).
    >>>
    >>> As I said earlier, Intrepid's Network Manager Applet (0.7.0) is
    >>> getting there, but hasn't quite arrived. _Yet_

    >> I read ('red') down through the thread to the bottom, and I don't see
    >> any answer to my question yesterday:
    >>
    >> What/where is this "wicd" ("WICD")?

    > Google?
    >>
    >> I cannot find it using Synaptic's search, nor apt-cache show[pkg]
    >> wicd (or WICD). It's not in the 6.06 nor 8.04 repositories.

    > Indeed.
    > Google.
    > http://wicd.sourceforge.net/download.php
    >>
    >> Is this just an acronym for something like:" Wireless Interface
    >> Control Daemon"?

    > Who cares?
    > http://wicd.sourceforge.net/about.php
    >>
    >> I'd like to read the available description, docs, etc., if I had the
    >> real program or package name.

    > wicd.
    > Google.
    > http://wicd.sourceforge.net/features.php
    >>
    >> Clues?
    >>

    > Google.
    >
    > Oh, and for the thick:
    > http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

    Thick?

    I care, or I wouldn't have asked, eh?

    I'm a heavy user of Google, Wikipedia, and many other searching tools,
    but I wanted some package or filename so I could look in the repository.

    I'm not interested in outside software that is not part of DEB-APT. Nor
    a server program that requires the GIMP Toolkit.

    But thinks for the SourceForge link anyway. It got me to what may be the
    only important place for info.

    One other thing: I can't stand and don't use mailing lists, IRC, and Web
    forums, which are the only available help sites mentioned at the
    SourceForge page. I asked here because I still believe NNTP Usenet is
    the best place for this type of discussion.

    --
    John

  3. Re: wicd and Gnome Network Manager

    On 2008-10-14, John F. Morse wrote:

    > I read ('red') down through the thread to the bottom, and I don't see
    > any answer to my question yesterday:
    >
    > What/where is this "wicd" ("WICD")?
    >
    > I cannot find it using Synaptic's search, nor apt-cache show[pkg] wicd
    > (or WICD). It's not in the 6.06 nor 8.04 repositories.

    The site is:

    http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

    and it does no appear in an Ubuntu repository but there is a 3rd party
    repository, details:

    http://wicd.sourceforge.net/download.php

    with the caveat carefully explained on this page that the package also
    uninstalls the gnome network manager.

    Andrew

    --
    echo 'http://www.andrews-corner.org/mutt.html' | \
    sed -e 's/\///g' -e 's/.\{12\}$/com/' \

  4. Re: wicd and Gnome Network Manager

    John F. Morse wrote:

    > "Stad den Haag" is one place I have my eye on, as well as DE or maybe NZ.

    All good choices, though I find the whole of NZ to be like a wet Sunday in a
    rural backwater of Wales. I've lived and worked in France, Germany, the
    Netherlands, and Austria and would be happy to live in any of them (though
    I find French quite a difficult language, having been brought up in Dutch,
    German and English).

    You're entirely right about the disaster that is the USA - there's a lot
    of "fiddling while Rome burns" going on over there, and none of the current
    crop of politicians either have seen the problems or is willing to do
    anything about them. It's now only a matter of time and fuel embargoes
    until the USA is pushed back to "third world" status.

    C.

  5. Re: wicd and Gnome Network Manager

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 07:09:27 +0000, andrew wrote:

    > with the caveat carefully explained on this page that the package also
    > uninstalls the gnome network manager.

    When I tried Wicd last week I re-installed network-manager and
    gnome-network-manager first, to ensure they were in the cache in case Wicd
    wouldn't connect me. I could then revert to NM without being connected.

  6. Re: wicd and Gnome Network Manager

    Christopher Hunter wrote:
    > You're entirely right about the disaster that is the USA

    Will you two please get back on topic.

    wicd 5uCK5
    NM r0X0reZ

    wh00t!

    --Benjamin Franklin

  7. Re: wicd and Gnome Network Manager

    Christopher Hunter wrote:
    > John F. Morse wrote:
    >

    >> "Stad den Haag" is one place I have my eye on, as well as DE or maybe NZ.
    >>

    > All good choices, though I find the whole of NZ to be like a wet Sunday in a
    > rural backwater of Wales. I've lived and worked in France, Germany, the
    > Netherlands, and Austria and would be happy to live in any of them (though
    > I find French quite a difficult language, having been brought up in Dutch,
    > German and English).
    >
    > You're entirely right about the disaster that is the USA - there's a lot
    > of "fiddling while Rome burns" going on over there, and none of the current
    > crop of politicians either have seen the problems or is willing to do
    > anything about them. It's now only a matter of time and fuel embargoes
    > until the USA is pushed back to "third world" status.
    >
    > C.

    I hadn't considered the humidity in NZ. I was going by the pictures I've
    seen, the description of the friendly people, the apparently "sane"
    government, and that they already speak English.

    I guess AU would be as good, maybe better since there are drier parts.

    I know zero French and don't really care to learn it. However, Dutch
    wouldn't be too difficult since it is close to Low German (which I don't
    hardly know either). English is based on German, not a "romance"
    language, so Germanic languages make more "sense" to me.

    I enjoy listening to Radio Stad Den Haag streams, although I can't
    understand what they are talking about. They seem to be having a great
    time though, and they also lapse into English from time to time.
    http://www.radiostaddenhaag.nl

    Can you receive this station off-the-air at 97.2 from your location?

    I'm not worried about USA politics. I know it will continue its downward
    spiral -- unless one of the two know-it-all presidential candidates has
    all the answers. ;-)

    Then they will have to convince some 640 senators and representatives to
    vote the way they want them.

    Of course "The Supremes" always have their option of legislating from
    the bench!

    --
    John

  8. Re: wicd and Gnome Network Manager

    andrew wrote:
    > On 2008-10-14, John F. Morse wrote:
    >

    >> I read ('red') down through the thread to the bottom, and I don't see
    >> any answer to my question yesterday:
    >>
    >> What/where is this "wicd" ("WICD")?
    >>
    >> I cannot find it using Synaptic's search, nor apt-cache show[pkg] wicd
    >> (or WICD). It's not in the 6.06 nor 8.04 repositories.
    >>

    > The site is:
    >
    > http://wicd.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > and it does no appear in an Ubuntu repository but there is a 3rd party
    > repository, details:
    >
    > http://wicd.sourceforge.net/download.php
    >
    > with the caveat carefully explained on this page that the package also
    > uninstalls the gnome network manager.
    >
    > Andrew

    Thanks for the info Andrew.

    It doesn't look like something I could use in my day-to-day operations.

    Maybe if I ever needed to use a notebook/laptop PC, it would come in
    handy if I needed WiFi.

    --
    John

  9. Re: wicd and Gnome Network Manager

    Hi John!

    John F. Morse [2008-10-16]:

    > English is based on German, not a "romance"
    > language, so Germanic languages make more "sense" to me.

    Öhm, this is a bit simplified.
    English and German both have Germanic roots. However, English was largely influenced by Latin (via
    French) and French, while German was not (or only to a lesser extent).
    That said, English is an analytical language while German is a synthetical one.
    Be prepared for the lovely "der, die, das"-game.

    Regards,

    Joachim

    --
    Joe's Photos: http://www.joephoto.info
    d.a.m.m. Last.fm group: http://www.last.fm/group/de.alt.music.metal

  10. Re: wicd and Gnome Network Manager

    John F. Morse wrote:

    > Can you receive this station off-the-air at 97.2 from your location?

    No. Here in London we have LBC (London Broadcasting Company - a talk station)
    on 97.3 MHz. Also, VHF radio is really a "to the horizon" service, and the
    Netherlands is (roughly) 130 miles from here at closest. However, the AM
    stations from the Netherlands are almost as strong a signal as the local
    British stations.

    C.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3