wicd and Gnome Network Manager - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on wicd and Gnome Network Manager - Ubuntu ; John F. Morse wrote: > I've heard a lot about NM, but don't know what it is. Neither do I know > about WICD. NM comes installed by default. How could you not know what it is? You must have, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 50

  1. Re: wicd and Gnome Network Manager

    John F. Morse wrote:
    > I've heard a lot about NM, but don't know what it is. Neither do I know
    > about WICD.

    NM comes installed by default. How could you not know what it is? You
    must have, at the very least, removed it.

    > Are these really needed?

    No.

    > BTW, I have around 45 working computers on my LAN.
    >
    > I use ifconfig, route, ip, and edit such files as
    > /etc/network/interfaces, /etc/hosts, /etc/resolvconf.
    >
    > Works fine on any distro, on any PC.

    Old-school. You're my hero.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  2. Re: wicd and Gnome Network Manager

    andrew wrote:
    > My point, based on personal experience, is that I believe when wicd is
    > properly configured it signicantly outperforms the gnome network manager
    > and at the very least it is an _alternative_ for it in Intrepid Ibex.

    Then maybe a better forum for you would be:
    http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/

    --Benjamin Franklin

  3. Re: wicd and Gnome Network Manager

    I couldn't get wicd to start, running the live CD for 8.04.1.
    (I had downloaded the wicd packages first using 7.10.)
    Network Manager wouldn't keep the wlan alive on 8.04.1 either.
    That's why I'm still using 7.10 :-(
    I got my fingers crossed for 8.10....

  4. Re: wicd and Gnome Network Manager

    On 14/10/08 04:09, John F. Morse wrote:

    > I've heard a lot about NM, but don't know what it is. Neither do I know
    > about WICD.
    >
    > Are these really needed?
    >
    > BTW, I have around 45 working computers on my LAN.
    >
    > I use ifconfig, route, ip, and edit such files as
    > /etc/network/interfaces, /etc/hosts, /etc/resolvconf.
    >
    > Works fine on any distro, on any PC.

    Do you do any wifi, especially WPA encrypted wlan?

  5. Re: wicd and Gnome Network Manager

    Ignoramus31919 wrote:
    > On 2008-10-13, John F. Morse wrote:
    >
    >> Ignoramus31919 wrote:

    >>> Try a "laptop".
    >>>

    >> Why?
    >>

    > Then you would realize the value of NetworkManager.

    That is not a good answer nor explanation.

    Please tell me why you believe networking is different on a
    laptop/notebook than a desktop or server.

    --
    John

  6. Re: wicd and Gnome Network Manager

    johnny bobby bee wrote:
    > John F. Morse wrote:
    >> I've heard a lot about NM, but don't know what it is. Neither do I
    >> know about WICD.

    > NM comes installed by default. How could you not know what it is? You
    > must have, at the very least, removed it.

    No to my knowledge.

    This is a Dapper Drake 6.06 LTS box. Perhaps NM didn't exist then?

    What is it called, and is it in some GNOME menu?

    john@ubuntu6.06:~$ apt-cache policy network-manager
    network-manager:
    Installed: (none)
    Candidate: 0.6.2-0ubuntu7
    Version table:
    0.6.2-0ubuntu7 0
    500 http://archive.ubuntu.com dapper/main Packages

    Hmmmm. Doesn't appear to have ever been installed.

    I'll snoop into a Hardy box in the basement....

    john@ubuntu8.04:~$ apt-cache policy network-manager
    network-manager:
    Installed: 0.6.6-0ubuntu5
    Candidate: 0.6.6-0ubuntu5
    Version table:
    *** 0.6.6-0ubuntu5 0
    500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com hardy/main Packages
    100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

    >> Are these really needed?

    > No.
    >
    >> BTW, I have around 45 working computers on my LAN.
    >>
    >> I use ifconfig, route, ip, and edit such files as
    >> /etc/network/interfaces, /etc/hosts, /etc/resolvconf.
    >>
    >> Works fine on any distro, on any PC.

    > Old-school. You're my hero.

    That's because I'm getting close to becoming a fossil myself. ;-)

    --
    John

  7. Re: wicd and Gnome Network Manager

    On 2008-10-13, John F. Morse wrote:
    > Ignoramus31919 wrote:

    >>> Why?
    >>>

    >> Then you would realize the value of NetworkManager.

    > That is not a good answer nor explanation.
    >
    > Please tell me why you believe networking is different on a
    > laptop/notebook than a desktop or server.

    Very simple. A stationary computer would be very happy with a static
    IP and a DNS name. That's how I and you manage our home network, work
    networks etc.

    A laptop is being taken to various places where it needs to get
    internet connection from ethernet, wifi, wireless broadband, phone
    modems, etc. These connections would change frequently without the
    laptop ever being rebooted. A "network manager" application is very
    useful for this, it would remember various passwords, preferred
    networks etc etc.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  8. Re: wicd and Gnome Network Manager

    Ignoramus31919 wrote:
    > On 2008-10-13, John F. Morse wrote:
    >
    >> Ignoramus31919 wrote:

    >>> Then you would realize the value of NetworkManager.
    >>>

    >> That is not a good answer nor explanation.
    >>
    >> Please tell me why you believe networking is different on a
    >> laptop/notebook than a desktop or server.
    >>

    > Very simple. A stationary computer would be very happy with a static
    > IP and a DNS name. That's how I and you manage our home network, work
    > networks etc.
    >
    > A laptop is being taken to various places where it needs to get
    > internet connection from ethernet, wifi, wireless broadband, phone
    > modems, etc. These connections would change frequently without the
    > laptop ever being rebooted. A "network manager" application is very
    > useful for this, it would remember various passwords, preferred
    > networks etc etc.

    The point of my question was *WHY* should *I* try a laptop?

    Furthermore, if I did, I would plug it into the LAN using a CAT-5 cable,
    not WiFi.

    Because a computer is a laptop, notebook, Powerbook, desktop, tower,
    mini or mainframe doesn't have anything to do with the type of
    networking used.

    I don't have laptops for several reasons, mainly price and their
    proprietary design making "modification" (additions) nearly impossible.

    I have taken a desktop on trips when I needed a PC for reporting daily
    time, etc. Or maintaining my own servers when on the road.

    And the load included a 17" CRT monitor as well. ;-)

    --
    John

  9. Re: wicd and Gnome Network Manager

    On 2008-10-14, John F. Morse wrote:
    > The point of my question was *WHY* should *I* try a laptop?

    I need a laptop to be connected on the go or when visiting places and
    people. I am typing this very message from my pickup truck on the
    road, waiting for my kid to buy something at gas station.

    > Furthermore, if I did, I would plug it into the LAN using a CAT-5 cable,
    > not WiFi.

    Cat5 is obsolete.

    And how can you plug a computer into cat5 on the road?

    > Because a computer is a laptop, notebook, Powerbook, desktop, tower,
    > mini or mainframe doesn't have anything to do with the type of
    > networking used.

    But it doies have something to do with WHERE IT IS TAKEN.

    > I don't have laptops for several reasons, mainly price and their
    > proprietary design making "modification" (additions) nearly impossible.
    >
    > I have taken a desktop on trips when I needed a PC for reporting daily
    > time, etc. Or maintaining my own servers when on the road.

    scary

    > And the load included a 17" CRT monitor as well. ;-)

    It quickly gets very pricey with the modern airline baggage charges.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  10. Re: wicd and Gnome Network Manager

    Ignoramus31919 wrote:
    > On 2008-10-14, John F. Morse wrote:
    >
    >> The point of my question was *WHY* should *I* try a laptop?
    >>

    > I need a laptop to be connected on the go or when visiting places and
    > people. I am typing this very message from my pickup truck on the
    > road, waiting for my kid to buy something at gas station.

    *YOUR* needs are different than *MY* needs, hence the question.

    >> Furthermore, if I did, I would plug it into the LAN using a CAT-5 cable,
    >> not WiFi.
    >>

    > Cat5 is obsolete.

    It certainly isn't! It works fine for the designed speed at the designed
    length.

    Some of the stuff may be CAT-5E or CAT-6. I just used the generic term
    instead of "Ethernet" since that term can mean different things (like
    fiber).

    > And how can you plug a computer into cat5 on the road?

    Most motels have a jack available.

    I hope you don't drive and use your PC at the same time! That would be
    worse than a cell phone driver!

    >> Because a computer is a laptop, notebook, Powerbook, desktop, tower,
    >> mini or mainframe doesn't have anything to do with the type of
    >> networking used.
    >>

    > But it doies have something to do with WHERE IT IS TAKEN.

    Only if you consider convenience, or if you have a limited space, like a
    submarine or space vehicle.

    Granted, you're not likely to be running a mini or mainframe on the
    road, but that is not impossible, depending on your vehicle. ;-)

    Seeing laptops sitting in one place on people's desks day after day
    shows they are clueless "appliance operators" and not "power users."

    They are the same people who wear an iPod or Walkman all day, while I
    prefer a wall of component equipment.

    I have a love for hardware as well as software. Appliance users just
    don't understand hardware. Most don't understand software either. ;-)

    >> I don't have laptops for several reasons, mainly price and their
    >> proprietary design making "modification" (additions) nearly impossible.
    >>
    >> I have taken a desktop on trips when I needed a PC for reporting daily
    >> time, etc. Or maintaining my own servers when on the road.
    >>

    > scary

    Why is that? Back when I did it (c. 1997) there weren't many laptops,
    and (as now) their cost was too high for the convenience.

    >> And the load included a 17" CRT monitor as well. ;-)
    >>

    > It quickly gets very pricey with the modern airline baggage charges.

    Don't know. I drove a 1/2 ton van in 1997. I had a nice wooden box that
    was perfect for the tower, the CRT monitor, the keyboard, mouse, and a
    dial-up modem. There was no broadband then.

    The only recent air travel was to Disney World in 1996, on a free trip
    my wife won. I had no use for a computer during that trip. I can put the
    things down. At least for a week.

    After then it's time to hunt down a university library.... ;-)

    I thought airlines charged a certain fee per bag, and not by weight?

    --
    John

  11. Re: wicd and Gnome Network Manager

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 13:22:58 -0500, John F. Morse wrote:

    > Phil Stovell wrote:

    >>> Me too. I've found wicd to be a pain, and NM to work very well.
    >>>
    >>> See how this goes round and round, andrew? The discussion belongs more
    >>> in an advocacy NG.
    >>>

    >> I want to use Wicd because it will allow me to use a fixed IP for both
    >> wired and wireless on this laptop. But as it doesn't work, I can't.
    >>

    > Huh?
    >
    > I don't use Wicd, nor NM, and all of my computers use static IPs. I do not
    > use dynamic IPs (DHCP) -- ever.
    >
    > I guess it doesn't matter to someone who owns a single PC, but if you ever
    > have multiple PCs, you need to be able to address them in some logical
    > way.
    >
    > I use static IPs, and I use BIND9, so I don't need to remember the IPs.

    ISTR NM won't let me use the same static IP for wireless and wired.

  12. Re: wicd and Gnome Network Manager

    Phil Stovell wrote:
    > On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 13:22:58 -0500, John F. Morse wrote:
    >

    >> Phil Stovell wrote:

    >>> I want to use Wicd because it will allow me to use a fixed IP for both
    >>> wired and wireless on this laptop. But as it doesn't work, I can't.
    >>>

    >> Huh?
    >>
    >> I don't use Wicd, nor NM, and all of my computers use static IPs. I do not
    >> use dynamic IPs (DHCP) -- ever.
    >>
    >> I guess it doesn't matter to someone who owns a single PC, but if you ever
    >> have multiple PCs, you need to be able to address them in some logical
    >> way.
    >>
    >> I use static IPs, and I use BIND9, so I don't need to remember the IPs.
    >>

    > ISTR NM won't let me use the same static IP for wireless and wired.

    I don't know, since I don't use wireless, but that sounds logical.

    However, you can use more than one IP on any interface. I use multiple
    IPs using virtual interfaces (eth0, eth0:0, eth0:1, ...), so I can
    access multiple subnets.

    If you needed the equivalent of the same IP on more than one interface
    (NIC), you could always route multiple hostnames (CNAMEs/aliases) to
    different IPs on the same physical but different virtual interface by
    using your DNS server's zone file.

    I'd suggest forgetting NM and looking at IP(8) and ifconfig(8) where you
    have all kinds of power.

    GUI frontends just don't have everything in them that you can get to
    when using the terminal.

    --
    John

  13. Re: wicd and Gnome Network Manager

    On 2008-10-14, John F. Morse wrote:

    > GUI frontends just don't have everything in them that you can get to
    > when using the terminal.

    I could not agree more but I believe for a laptop using a wireless
    connection which is trying to access 'hotspots' at airports, coffee shops
    etc a network manager in gui form is indispensible.

    Mind you I regret more than a little starting this thread, I had no idea
    that a discussion of a network manager would provoke such strong
    feelings :-).

    Andrew

    --
    echo 'http://www.andrews-corner.org/mutt.html' | \
    sed -e 's/\///g' -e 's/.\{12\}$/com/' \

  14. Re: wicd and Gnome Network Manager

    Phil Stovell wrote:

    >> I use static IPs, and I use BIND9, so I don't need to remember the IPs.

    > ISTR NM won't let me use the same static IP for wireless and wired.

    You're right - it won't. NM is slightly better in 8.10, but still doesn't
    work as well as WICD.

    C.

  15. Re: wicd and Gnome Network Manager

    John F. Morse wrote:

    > I thought airlines charged a certain fee per bag, and not by weight?

    No. I also wouldn't trust any airline to take good care of anything as
    fragile as a computer - I take one of my laptops with me wherever I fly
    to - I need 'net connection wherever I am (even on "vacation"). It's just
    the nature of my job.

    C.

  16. Re: wicd and Gnome Network Manager

    andrew illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 2008-10-14, John F. Morse wrote:
    >
    >> GUI frontends just don't have everything in them that you can get to
    >> when using the terminal.

    > I could not agree more but I believe for a laptop using a wireless
    > connection which is trying to access 'hotspots' at airports, coffee shops
    > etc a network manager in gui form is indispensible.
    >
    > Mind you I regret more than a little starting this thread, I had no idea
    > that a discussion of a network manager would provoke such strong
    > feelings :-).

    Never ever regret posting a thought provoking comment.
    It brings out various experiences in Ubuntu users.

    I've also found Network Manager to be flawed but perfectly adequate
    after a quick google. Maybe I've just been quilty of a little more
    perseverence.

    I've also noticed many seem to find wicd just as troublesome (which
    surprised me vastly).

    As I said earlier, Intrepid's Network Manager Applet (0.7.0) is
    getting there, but hasn't quite arrived. _Yet_

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

  17. Re: wicd and Gnome Network Manager

    andrew wrote:
    > On 2008-10-14, John F. Morse wrote:
    >

    >> GUI frontends just don't have everything in them that you can get to
    >> when using the terminal.
    >>

    > I could not agree more but I believe for a laptop using a wireless
    > connection which is trying to access 'hotspots' at airports, coffee shops
    > etc a network manager in gui form is indispensible.
    >
    > Mind you I regret more than a little starting this thread, I had no idea
    > that a discussion of a network manager would provoke such strong
    > feelings :-).
    >
    > Andrew

    Oh, I'm glad you did start it, Andrew. It has illuminated quite a bit of
    information.

    Feelings are OK if there is some explanation also provided.

    For instance, saying "NM is better than WICD" alone, is a waste of the
    reader's time.

    At least for me; I need some basis to help me remember "why."

    Others are happy just taking someone's word as-is.

    --
    John

  18. Re: wicd and Gnome Network Manager

    Moog wrote:
    > andrew illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >
    >> On 2008-10-14, John F. Morse wrote:
    >>

    >>> GUI frontends just don't have everything in them that you can get to
    >>> when using the terminal.
    >>>

    >> I could not agree more but I believe for a laptop using a wireless
    >> connection which is trying to access 'hotspots' at airports, coffee shops
    >> etc a network manager in gui form is indispensible.
    >>
    >> Mind you I regret more than a little starting this thread, I had no idea
    >> that a discussion of a network manager would provoke such strong
    >> feelings :-).
    >>

    > Never ever regret posting a thought provoking comment.
    > It brings out various experiences in Ubuntu users.
    >
    > I've also found Network Manager to be flawed but perfectly adequate
    > after a quick google. Maybe I've just been quilty of a little more
    > perseverence.
    >
    > I've also noticed many seem to find wicd just as troublesome (which
    > surprised me vastly).
    >
    > As I said earlier, Intrepid's Network Manager Applet (0.7.0) is
    > getting there, but hasn't quite arrived. _Yet_

    I read ('red') down through the thread to the bottom, and I don't see
    any answer to my question yesterday:

    What/where is this "wicd" ("WICD")?

    I cannot find it using Synaptic's search, nor apt-cache show[pkg] wicd
    (or WICD). It's not in the 6.06 nor 8.04 repositories.

    Is this just an acronym for something like:" Wireless Interface Control
    Daemon"?

    I'd like to read the available description, docs, etc., if I had the
    real program or package name.

    Clues?

    --
    John

  19. Re: wicd and Gnome Network Manager

    Do a google search for wicd. You will find it.

    You can even try it, as I did, it is not hard.

    On 2008-10-14, John F. Morse wrote:
    > Moog wrote:
    >> andrew illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> I could not agree more but I believe for a laptop using a wireless
    >>> connection which is trying to access 'hotspots' at airports, coffee shops
    >>> etc a network manager in gui form is indispensible.
    >>>
    >>> Mind you I regret more than a little starting this thread, I had no idea
    >>> that a discussion of a network manager would provoke such strong
    >>> feelings :-).
    >>>

    >> Never ever regret posting a thought provoking comment.
    >> It brings out various experiences in Ubuntu users.
    >>
    >> I've also found Network Manager to be flawed but perfectly adequate
    >> after a quick google. Maybe I've just been quilty of a little more
    >> perseverence.
    >>
    >> I've also noticed many seem to find wicd just as troublesome (which
    >> surprised me vastly).
    >>
    >> As I said earlier, Intrepid's Network Manager Applet (0.7.0) is
    >> getting there, but hasn't quite arrived. _Yet_

    > I read ('red') down through the thread to the bottom, and I don't see
    > any answer to my question yesterday:
    >
    > What/where is this "wicd" ("WICD")?
    >
    > I cannot find it using Synaptic's search, nor apt-cache show[pkg] wicd
    > (or WICD). It's not in the 6.06 nor 8.04 repositories.
    >
    > Is this just an acronym for something like:" Wireless Interface Control
    > Daemon"?
    >
    > I'd like to read the available description, docs, etc., if I had the
    > real program or package name.
    >
    > Clues?

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  20. Re: wicd and Gnome Network Manager

    John F. Morse schreef:
    > Moog wrote:
    >> andrew illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> I could not agree more but I believe for a laptop using a wireless
    >>> connection which is trying to access 'hotspots' at airports, coffee
    >>> shops
    >>> etc a network manager in gui form is indispensible.
    >>>
    >>> Mind you I regret more than a little starting this thread, I had no idea
    >>> that a discussion of a network manager would provoke such strong
    >>> feelings :-).
    >>>

    >> Never ever regret posting a thought provoking comment.
    >> It brings out various experiences in Ubuntu users.
    >> I've also found Network Manager to be flawed but perfectly adequate
    >> after a quick google. Maybe I've just been quilty of a little more
    >> perseverence.
    >>
    >> I've also noticed many seem to find wicd just as troublesome (which
    >> surprised me vastly).
    >>
    >> As I said earlier, Intrepid's Network Manager Applet (0.7.0) is
    >> getting there, but hasn't quite arrived. _Yet_

    > I read ('red') down through the thread to the bottom, and I don't see
    > any answer to my question yesterday:
    >
    > What/where is this "wicd" ("WICD")?

    Google?

    > I cannot find it using Synaptic's search, nor apt-cache show[pkg] wicd
    > (or WICD). It's not in the 6.06 nor 8.04 repositories.

    Indeed.
    Google.
    http://wicd.sourceforge.net/download.php

    > Is this just an acronym for something like:" Wireless Interface Control
    > Daemon"?

    Who cares?
    http://wicd.sourceforge.net/about.php

    > I'd like to read the available description, docs, etc., if I had the
    > real program or package name.

    wicd.
    Google.
    http://wicd.sourceforge.net/features.php