Windows Can't See Ubuntu Hard Drive - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Windows Can't See Ubuntu Hard Drive - Ubuntu ; I have 2 SATA 250GB hard drives. The first hard drive has Ubuntu 8.04 AMD64 installed on an EXT3 partition, and there is also a 5GB swap partition. The second hard drive has WindowsXP installed on an NTFS parition, and ...

  1. Windows Can't See Ubuntu Hard Drive

    I have 2 SATA 250GB hard drives. The first hard drive has Ubuntu 8.04 AMD64
    installed on an EXT3 partition, and there is also a 5GB swap partition. The
    second hard drive has WindowsXP installed on an NTFS parition, and there is
    another FAT32 recovery partition on that drive.

    Windows doesn't see the drive with Ubuntu on it, in spite of the fact that
    I have installed a working EXT driver for Windows that I have regularly
    used with my EXT3 external hard drive.

    How can I get Windows to see the partitions on the Ubuntu drive?

    Also, Ubuntu can see the NTFS partition just fine, but it doesn't see the
    FAT32 partition. Why is that?

  2. Re: Windows Can't See Ubuntu Hard Drive

    "Dirk T. Verbeek" wrote in

    > The windows ext driver will not recognise the drive when there is
    > (even slight) damage to the ext2/3 file system.
    > So it might be worth while to do force a file check on this drive.
    >
    > I don't know about the FAT problem.

    Ubuntu has done several routine disc checks at startup and never mentions
    any problems. I also did fsck from a boot disc and there were no errors
    found.

    Windows still doesn't see the partitions, in spite of the fact that the
    disc is listed as functioning in the Device Manager.

  3. Re: Windows Can't See Ubuntu Hard Drive

    ShadowTek wrote:
    > "Dirk T. Verbeek" wrote in
    >
    >> The windows ext driver will not recognise the drive when there is
    >> (even slight) damage to the ext2/3 file system.
    >> So it might be worth while to do force a file check on this drive.
    >>
    >> I don't know about the FAT problem.

    > Ubuntu has done several routine disc checks at startup and never mentions
    > any problems. I also did fsck from a boot disc and there were no errors
    > found.
    >
    > Windows still doesn't see the partitions, in spite of the fact that the
    > disc is listed as functioning in the Device Manager.

    Look in Windows "Disk Management". See if it is sharing a drive
    letter with another drive. If so, there is an option to change the
    drive letter. This happens a lot with USB stick walking all
    over network drive letters. Maybe this is what is happening
    to you as well.

    HTH,
    -T

  4. Re: Windows Can't See Ubuntu Hard Drive

    ShadowTek wrote:
    > "Dirk T. Verbeek" wrote in
    >
    >> The windows ext driver will not recognise the drive when there is
    >> (even slight) damage to the ext2/3 file system.
    >> So it might be worth while to do force a file check on this drive.
    >>
    >> I don't know about the FAT problem.

    > Ubuntu has done several routine disc checks at startup and never mentions
    > any problems. I also did fsck from a boot disc and there were no errors
    > found.
    >
    > Windows still doesn't see the partitions, in spite of the fact that the
    > disc is listed as functioning in the Device Manager.

    Look in Windows "Disk Management". See if it is sharing a drive
    letter with another drive. If so, there is an option to change the
    drive letter. This happens a lot with USB stick walking all
    over network drive letters. Maybe this is what is happening
    to you as well.

    HTH,
    -T

  5. Re: Windows Can't See Ubuntu Hard Drive

    ToddAndMargo wrote in

    > Look in Windows "Disk Management". See if it is sharing a drive
    > letter with another drive. If so, there is an option to change the
    > drive letter. This happens a lot with USB stick walking all
    > over network drive letters. Maybe this is what is happening
    > to you as well.

    It wont let me change the drive letters for either partition on the second
    drive.
    http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/4...8225935uw4.jpg
    http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/6...8225910yz0.jpg

  6. Re: Windows Can't See Ubuntu Hard Drive

    ShadowTek wrote in
    news:Xns9B36EBCE3C681psistormyamatocscom@85.214.90 .236:

    > It wont let me change the drive letters for either partition on the
    > second drive.

    Ahh hell, I forgot all about the fact that the IFS driver creates a control
    panel applet. That's where you're supposed to assign drive letters for EXT
    partitions. lmao

    Does anybody know if it's possible to use the Ubuntu swap partition for
    XP's swap file?

    That would be convenient.

  7. Re: Windows Can't See Ubuntu Hard Drive

    ShadowTek wrote in
    news:Xns9B37EFAB2EEFpsistormyamatocscom@85.214.90. 236:

    > Does anybody know if it's possible to use the Ubuntu swap partition
    > for XP's swap file?
    >
    > That would be convenient.

    Nevermind, I found a way, and I got it working now.