Ubuntu freezing - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu freezing - Ubuntu ; All, In the last 2 weeks I've been having Ubuntu freezing, after a couple of hours; my screen saver would be slowing down, I usually have a browser and Pan running, but it still seems to happen if I have ...

  1. Ubuntu freezing

    All,

    In the last 2 weeks I've been having Ubuntu freezing, after a couple of hours; my screen saver would be slowing down, I
    usually have a browser and Pan running, but it still seems to happen if I have them closed.
    Also the movie player which normally handles AVI and other videos would open but suddenly close without playing the
    videos

    In the last 2 weeks I upgraded Opera to 9.60 problem was before this upgrade so I don't think it's Opera, no upgrade toPan,
    I added a Verbatim 160 GB usb2 hard drive which UB found and mounted but over night I would have a freeze and have
    multiple owner windows open, also there be numerous Verbatim Icons on the screen and the original Icon which had files in
    it is now empty and one of the newer Icons on the desktop would have the files showing, I shut off the screen savers and
    reboot and the original verbatim Icon I placed on the desktop will have the files, over night the same thing would happen.

    Today I tried putting some MP3 files on my daughter's Sansa fuse and Ubuntu froze, I removed the Verbatim from the
    computer rebooted and just left the computer on with no screen saver or programs running, I still have the movie player
    problem but 8 hours later I don't have a freeze, tonight I will have Pan DL a large file and see if I get all the parts and if I
    have a freeze or not, if not looks like I have a problem with the Verbatim HD, do I need a driver for this?

    GK

  2. Re: Ubuntu freezing

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 23:21:32 +0000, GrailKing wrote:

    > All,
    >
    > In the last 2 weeks I've been having Ubuntu freezing, after a couple of
    > hours; my screen saver would be slowing down, I usually have a browser
    > and Pan running, but it still seems to happen if I have them closed.
    > Also the movie player which normally handles AVI and other videos would
    > open but suddenly close without playing the videos
    >
    > In the last 2 weeks I upgraded Opera to 9.60 problem was before this
    > upgrade so I don't think it's Opera, no upgrade toPan, I added a
    > Verbatim 160 GB usb2 hard drive which UB found and mounted but over
    > night I would have a freeze and have multiple owner windows open, also
    > there be numerous Verbatim Icons on the screen and the original Icon
    > which had files in it is now empty and one of the newer Icons on the
    > desktop would have the files showing, I shut off the screen savers and
    > reboot and the original verbatim Icon I placed on the desktop will have
    > the files, over night the same thing would happen.
    >
    > Today I tried putting some MP3 files on my daughter's Sansa fuse and
    > Ubuntu froze, I removed the Verbatim from the computer rebooted and just
    > left the computer on with no screen saver or programs running, I still
    > have the movie player problem but 8 hours later I don't have a freeze,
    > tonight I will have Pan DL a large file and see if I get all the parts
    > and if I have a freeze or not, if not looks like I have a problem with
    > the Verbatim HD, do I need a driver for this?
    >
    > GK

    I forgot I added Vonage I don't that would affect the computer.

  3. Re: Ubuntu freezing

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 23:21:32 +0000, GrailKing wrote:

    > All,
    >
    > In the last 2 weeks I've been having Ubuntu freezing, after a couple of
    > hours; my screen saver would be slowing down, I usually have a browser
    > and Pan running, but it still seems to happen if I have them closed.
    > Also the movie player which normally handles AVI and other videos would
    > open but suddenly close without playing the videos
    >
    > In the last 2 weeks I upgraded Opera to 9.60 problem was before this
    > upgrade so I don't think it's Opera, no upgrade toPan, I added a
    > Verbatim 160 GB usb2 hard drive which UB found and mounted but over
    > night I would have a freeze and have multiple owner windows open, also
    > there be numerous Verbatim Icons on the screen and the original Icon
    > which had files in it is now empty and one of the newer Icons on the
    > desktop would have the files showing, I shut off the screen savers and
    > reboot and the original verbatim Icon I placed on the desktop will have
    > the files, over night the same thing would happen.
    >
    > Today I tried putting some MP3 files on my daughter's Sansa fuse and
    > Ubuntu froze, I removed the Verbatim from the computer rebooted and just
    > left the computer on with no screen saver or programs running, I still
    > have the movie player problem but 8 hours later I don't have a freeze,
    > tonight I will have Pan DL a large file and see if I get all the parts
    > and if I have a freeze or not, if not looks like I have a problem with
    > the Verbatim HD, do I need a driver for this?
    >
    > GK

    I recall some USB external drives having an issue with starting up and
    shuting down then repeating the cycle. It is evidently an MS 'feature'
    which Linux does not handle well. As I recall there was some remedy which
    involoved disabling that 'feature'. That's about all I can recall - you
    should be able to find more information with a web search.

  4. Re: Ubuntu freezing

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 23:21:32 +0000, GrailKing wrote:

    > All,
    >
    > In the last 2 weeks I've been having Ubuntu freezing, after a couple of
    > hours; my screen saver would be slowing down, I usually have a browser and
    > Pan running, but it still seems to happen if I have them closed. Also the
    > movie player which normally handles AVI and other videos would open but
    > suddenly close without playing the videos
    >
    > In the last 2 weeks I upgraded Opera to 9.60 problem was before this
    > upgrade so I don't think it's Opera, no upgrade toPan, I added a Verbatim
    > 160 GB usb2 hard drive which UB found and mounted but over night I would
    > have a freeze and have multiple owner windows open, also there be numerous
    > Verbatim Icons on the screen and the original Icon which had files in it
    > is now empty and one of the newer Icons on the desktop would have the
    > files showing, I shut off the screen savers and reboot and the original
    > verbatim Icon I placed on the desktop will have the files, over night the
    > same thing would happen.
    >
    > Today I tried putting some MP3 files on my daughter's Sansa fuse and
    > Ubuntu froze, I removed the Verbatim from the computer rebooted and just
    > left the computer on with no screen saver or programs running, I still
    > have the movie player problem but 8 hours later I don't have a freeze,
    > tonight I will have Pan DL a large file and see if I get all the parts and
    > if I have a freeze or not, if not looks like I have a problem with the
    > Verbatim HD, do I need a driver for this?

    No, I don't think you need a new driver.

    My guess would be that the disk drive, or maybe the USB cable, has an
    intermittent problem.

    If you are going to debug things like this, it would be useful for you to
    install gkrellm, and run gkrellm in a window, and run top in a console.
    That would tell if you are using too much memory, too much CPU, or too
    much disk I/O.

    But, I think you pretty much proved a USB or disk problem with your
    replacements so far. Have you tried replacing the USB cable? Have you
    plugged the disk into a different USB port? Is the disk overheating?
    Have you tried copying big files back and forth to the disk drive to see
    if it goes dead during the copy?

    --
    In order to avoid being called a flirt,
    she always yielded easily.

    -- Charles, Count Talleyrand

  5. Re: Ubuntu freezing

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 23:21:32 +0000, GrailKing wrote:

    > In the last 2 weeks I've been having Ubuntu freezing,

    GK, please set your line length to somewhere around 80 characters or
    less. Thanks.

    --
    P.P.

  6. Re: Ubuntu freezing

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 21:14:26 -0400, Phillie Phanatic wrote:

    > On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 23:21:32 +0000, GrailKing wrote:
    >
    >> In the last 2 weeks I've been having Ubuntu freezing,

    > GK, please set your line length to somewhere around 80 characters or
    > less. Thanks.

    Just let me know where in Pan to find it, I looked but see nothing on line length.

    GK

  7. Re: Ubuntu freezing

    Phillie Phanatic wrote:
    > On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 23:21:32 +0000, GrailKing wrote:
    >

    >> In the last 2 weeks I've been having Ubuntu freezing,
    >>

    > GK, please set your line length to somewhere around 80 characters or
    > less. Thanks.

    His lines look fine on my Pan, as well as Thunderbird.

    Perhaps if you do not like what you see, you should adjust your options?

    After all, it's impossible for a poster to make everyone happy, eh?

    (I'm sure you'll hate my sig!)

    --
    John

  8. Re: Ubuntu freezing

    GrailKing wrote:
    > On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 21:14:26 -0400, Phillie Phanatic wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 23:21:32 +0000, GrailKing wrote:
    >>
    >>> In the last 2 weeks I've been having Ubuntu freezing,

    >> GK, please set your line length to somewhere around 80 characters or
    >> less. Thanks.

    > Just let me know where in Pan to find it, I looked but see nothing on line length.
    >
    > GK

    The only thing I see is on the compose page, where there is a "Wrap Text"
    button. It doesn't appear to be adjustable, but it does indeed cause
    outgoing text to wrap.

    --
    Hobart

  9. Re: Ubuntu freezing

    John F. Morse wrote:

    > Phillie Phanatic wrote:
    >> GrailKing wrote:
    >>> In the last 2 weeks I've been having Ubuntu freezing,

    >> GK, please set your line length to somewhere around 80 characters or
    >> less. Thanks.

    > His lines look fine on my Pan, as well as Thunderbird.

    I see GK's lines maxing at around 130 characters, in Dialog (in the raw
    text), in Pan, and in Thunderbird.

    > Perhaps if you do not like what you see, you should adjust your
    > options?

    Where *do* you adjust line length in Pan? I don't see it either.

    > After all, it's impossible for a poster to make everyone happy, eh?
    > (I'm sure you'll hate my sig!)

    Har! Your sig goes on forever... --->

    --
    -bts

  10. Re: Ubuntu freezing

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 22:27:03 -0400, Hobart wrote:

    > GrailKing wrote:

    >>> GK, please set your line length to somewhere around 80 characters or
    >>> less. Thanks.

    >> Just let me know where in Pan to find it, I looked but see nothing on
    >> line length.
    >>
    >> GK

    > The only thing I see is on the compose page, where there is a "Wrap
    > Text" button. It doesn't appear to be adjustable, but it does indeed
    > cause outgoing text to wrap.

    That's ticked on mine in Pan, I made sure of it when I was told I had more than 80 characters, as I type now, it shows a
    check mark on wrapping.

    GK

  11. Re: Ubuntu freezing

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 19:54:13 -0500, Joe User wrote:

    > On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 23:21:32 +0000, GrailKing wrote:
    >
    >> All,
    >>
    >> In the last 2 weeks I've been having Ubuntu freezing, after a couple of
    >> hours; my screen saver would be slowing down, I usually have a browser
    >> and Pan running, but it still seems to happen if I have them closed.
    >> Also the movie player which normally handles AVI and other videos would
    >> open but suddenly close without playing the videos
    >>
    >> In the last 2 weeks I upgraded Opera to 9.60 problem was before this
    >> upgrade so I don't think it's Opera, no upgrade toPan, I added a
    >> Verbatim 160 GB usb2 hard drive which UB found and mounted but over
    >> night I would have a freeze and have multiple owner windows open, also
    >> there be numerous Verbatim Icons on the screen and the original Icon
    >> which had files in it is now empty and one of the newer Icons on the
    >> desktop would have the files showing, I shut off the screen savers and
    >> reboot and the original verbatim Icon I placed on the desktop will have
    >> the files, over night the same thing would happen.
    >>
    >> Today I tried putting some MP3 files on my daughter's Sansa fuse and
    >> Ubuntu froze, I removed the Verbatim from the computer rebooted and
    >> just left the computer on with no screen saver or programs running, I
    >> still have the movie player problem but 8 hours later I don't have a
    >> freeze, tonight I will have Pan DL a large file and see if I get all
    >> the parts and if I have a freeze or not, if not looks like I have a
    >> problem with the Verbatim HD, do I need a driver for this?

    > No, I don't think you need a new driver.
    >
    > My guess would be that the disk drive, or maybe the USB cable, has an
    > intermittent problem.
    >
    > If you are going to debug things like this, it would be useful for you
    > to install gkrellm, and run gkrellm in a window, and run top in a
    > console. That would tell if you are using too much memory, too much CPU,
    > or too much disk I/O.
    >
    > But, I think you pretty much proved a USB or disk problem with your
    > replacements so far. Have you tried replacing the USB cable? Have you
    > plugged the disk into a different USB port? Is the disk overheating?
    > Have you tried copying big files back and forth to the disk drive to see
    > if it goes dead during the copy?

    I just tried a different cable, I have it on a front USB port,I'll let it stay in and the computer on over night and see what
    happens; if it does it again I'll try a rear port.

    GK

    GK

  12. Re: Ubuntu freezing

    On 2008-10-13, GrailKing wrote:
    > On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 22:27:03 -0400, Hobart wrote:
    >
    >> GrailKing wrote:

    >>> Just let me know where in Pan to find it, I looked but see nothing on
    >>> line length.
    >>>
    >>> GK

    >> The only thing I see is on the compose page, where there is a "Wrap
    >> Text" button. It doesn't appear to be adjustable, but it does indeed
    >> cause outgoing text to wrap.

    > That's ticked on mine in Pan, I made sure of it when I was told I had more than 80 characters, as I type now, it shows a
    > check mark on wrapping.

    When your lines are longer than the window width,
    they wrap so
    that there is a long line followed by a short
    one.
    This is very annoying, as it makes reading your
    posts very jerky.
    That's my beef.

    --
    Chris F.A. Johnson, author |
    2005, Apress | GNU General Public Licence

  13. Re: Ubuntu freezing

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 03:10:17 +0000, Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:

    > On 2008-10-13, GrailKing wrote:

    >>> The only thing I see is on the compose page, where there is a "Wrap
    >>> Text" button. It doesn't appear to be adjustable, but it does indeed
    >>> cause outgoing text to wrap.

    >> That's ticked on mine in Pan, I made sure of it when I was told I had
    >> more than 80 characters, as I type now, it shows a check mark on
    >> wrapping.

    > When your lines are longer than the window width, they wrap so
    > that there is a long line followed by a short one.
    > This is very annoying, as it makes reading your posts very jerky.
    > That's my beef.

    Sir, all I can say is line wrap is on, always has been.

    GK

  14. Re: Ubuntu freezing

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 22:32:39 -0400, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > John F. Morse wrote:
    >
    >> Phillie Phanatic wrote:
    >>>
    >>> GK, please set your line length to somewhere around 80 characters or
    >>> less. Thanks.

    >> His lines look fine on my Pan, as well as Thunderbird.

    > I see GK's lines maxing at around 130 characters, in Dialog (in the raw
    > text), in Pan, and in Thunderbird.

    I didn't count the characters, but they wrapped before they got to my
    window edge. YWMV. ;-)

    As I have stated in the past, if I want to force someone to see my
    material in the exact way I want it presented, then I would need to use
    HTML, PDF, or some graphical image file.

    Otherwise, I just send data, and they can format it in whatever style,
    font face, size, color, ... fits their monitor, eyeglasses, mood, etc.
    Isn't choice wonderful?!

    >> Perhaps if you do not like what you see, you should adjust your
    >> options?

    > Where *do* you adjust line length in Pan? I don't see it either.

    Which version of Pan? ;-)

    I don't see it in 0.14.2.91, but that is quite dated. Also, Pan is not the
    best newsreader available. You do know what P-A-N stood for?

    >> After all, it's impossible for a poster to make everyone happy, eh?
    >> (I'm sure you'll hate my sig!)

    > Har! Your sig goes on forever... --->

    It's either the lines are too long, or there are too many of them. So say
    the "Request For Comments" die-hards who believe RFCs are "The Law" and
    still valid after 28 years. I had line-wrapping hard copy printers in
    1977, three years before Usenet.

    I figure that once someone has read my sig, they shouldn't need to scroll
    over to read it after every message, eh.

    Of course I also don't like having to read quoted material over and over
    again, or scroll down a page, to see what is new, but these same die-hards
    raise hell if someone top-posts. ;-)

    It also depends on the newsreader. In this Pan (0.14.2.91), in the
    composition window, the sig does go right on out the right side of the
    window, regardless whether I click the "Rewrap" button or not. It is
    inserted from a sig textfile.

    When I see the message in Thunderbird, the sig wraps normally. So, is
    Thunderbird better than Pan (et al)? ;-)

    The other text that I entered, inter-spaced in the quoted material, also
    goes out the right side of the window, but the window scrolls as I type to
    keep the line's end in view.

    When I click "Rewrap," it wraps it normally.

    No newsreader is perfect, just like Usenet has a lot of undesirable
    traits. ;-)

    --
    John

  15. Re: Ubuntu freezing

    GrailKing wrote:
    > Also the movie player which normally handles AVI and other videos would open but suddenly close without playing the
    > videos

    Could you please be more specific. Try re-reading that back to yourself,
    and see if you think it makes much sense, or provides *any* detail
    whatsoever.

    You've asked many questions in this NG and you seem to not learn much
    about asking smarter/better questions.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  16. Re: Ubuntu freezing

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 01:14:48 -0400, John F. Morse
    wrote:

    <>
    > Which version of Pan? ;-)
    >
    > I don't see it in 0.14.2.91, but that is quite dated. Also, Pan is not
    > the
    > best newsreader available. You do know what P-A-N stood for?
    >

    > It's either the lines are too long, or there are too many of them. So say
    > the "Request For Comments" die-hards who believe RFCs are "The Law" and
    > still valid after 28 years. I had line-wrapping hard copy printers in
    > 1977, three years before Usenet.
    >
    > I figure that once someone has read my sig, they shouldn't need to scroll
    > over to read it after every message, eh.
    >
    > Of course I also don't like having to read quoted material over and over
    > again, or scroll down a page, to see what is new, but these same
    > die-hards
    > raise hell if someone top-posts. ;-)
    >
    > It also depends on the newsreader. In this Pan (0.14.2.91), in the
    > composition window, the sig does go right on out the right side of the
    > window, regardless whether I click the "Rewrap" button or not. It is
    > inserted from a sig textfile.
    >
    > When I see the message in Thunderbird, the sig wraps normally. So, is
    > Thunderbird better than Pan (et al)? ;-)
    >
    > The other text that I entered, inter-spaced in the quoted material, also
    > goes out the right side of the window, but the window scrolls as I type
    > keep the line's end in view.
    >
    > When I click "Rewrap," it wraps it normally.
    >
    > No newsreader is perfect, just like Usenet has a lot of undesirable
    > traits. ;-)

    My version of PAN is .132

  17. Re: Ubuntu freezing

    John F. Morse wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> I see GK's lines maxing at around 130 characters, in Dialog (in the raw
    >> text), in Pan, and in Thunderbird.

    > I didn't count the characters, but they wrapped before they got to my
    > window edge. YWMV. ;-)

    Same here in Dialog. I saw what Chris F. A. described.

    HTML for Usenet? Ewwww. ;-)

    >> Where *do* you adjust line length in Pan? I don't see it either.

    > Which version of Pan? ;-)

    I've tried a couple of them, and prefer the older one.

    > I don't see it in 0.14.2.91, but that is quite dated. Also, Pan is not
    > the best newsreader available. You do know what P-A-N stood for?

    "Pennsylvania Association of Numismatists" ? ... I think my brother was
    a member.

    > When I see the message in Thunderbird, the sig wraps normally. So, is
    > Thunderbird better than Pan (et al)? ;-)

    Better? Probably not. No.

    > When I click "Rewrap," it wraps it normally.

    Aye. I'm guessing a post with carriage returns inserted at 'round 130
    characters, and unwrapped, appears that way until the recipient does it
    manually.

    > No newsreader is perfect, just like Usenet has a lot of undesirable
    > traits. ;-)

    "Some are better than others."

    --
    -bts

  18. Re: Ubuntu freezing

    GrailKing wrote:
    > On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 01:14:48 -0400, John F. Morse
    > wrote:
    >
    > <>
    >> Which version of Pan? ;-)
    >>
    >> I don't see it in 0.14.2.91, but that is quite dated. Also, Pan is
    >> not the
    >> best newsreader available. You do know what P-A-N stood for?
    >>

    > My version of PAN is .132

    Many people will not use that new "beta" version, as it isn't "ready" yet.

    The latest stable version, 0.14.2.91, seems to have most of the desired
    features.

    You might want to try it, but I don't know if it has any difference in
    line wrapping, either in composition or display.

    --
    John

  19. Re: Ubuntu freezing

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 06:05:43 -0400, johnny bobby bee
    wrote:

    > GrailKing wrote:
    >> Also the movie player which normally handles AVI and other videos would
    >> open but suddenly close without playing the videos

    > Could you please be more specific. Try re-reading that back to yourself,
    > and see if you think it makes much sense, or provides *any* detail
    > whatsoever.
    >
    > You've asked many questions in this NG and you seem to not learn much
    > about asking smarter/better questions.

    Let us try this:
    I got it going last night.

    GK