connection to dsl - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on connection to dsl - Ubuntu ; Am installing Ubuntu on a friends machine next week. He has dsl feed. So I don't look foolish from the get go, I assume Ubuntu 8.04 will recognize dsl out of the box, right?...

  1. connection to dsl

    Am installing Ubuntu on a friends machine next week. He has dsl feed.
    So I don't look foolish from the get go, I assume Ubuntu 8.04 will
    recognize dsl out of the box, right?

  2. Re: connection to dsl

    "frank" wrote in message
    > Am installing Ubuntu on a friends machine next week. He has dsl feed.
    > So I don't look foolish from the get go, I assume Ubuntu 8.04 will
    > recognize dsl out of the box, right?

    Get a DSL modem that has an ethernet connection. (Most do!) Make sure your
    computer has an ethernet port. Then get a router that acts as a firewall
    like a LinkSys or DLink unit. You will need to set it up so it talks to the
    DSL modem, and set it up for DHCP on your internal network. Connect the
    DSL's ethernet to the input port on the router and your computer to the
    routers ports (network side).

    When you install Ubuntu on your computer, it will recognize the ethernet
    port automatically and configure itself. If there are issues, come back to
    the forum here and people will help with a manual configuration.

  3. Re: connection to dsl

    frank wrote:

    > Am installing Ubuntu on a friends machine next week. He has dsl feed.
    > So I don't look foolish from the get go, I assume Ubuntu 8.04 will
    > recognize dsl out of the box, right?

    Usually, yes. It depends on how the DSL modem is connected to the
    computer - you have a better chance if it's connected through a network
    (ethernet) cable - USB connection is sometimes a bit suspect, and can be
    slow.

    During the install, you'll be asked how the machine connects to the 'net -
    you'll normally choose "eth0" for the first ethernet port. After that,
    accept the defaults, finish the install and then let it download the
    updates, fixes and patches.

    C.

+ Reply to Thread