Print to an offline printer and watch CPU go to 100 percent... - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Print to an offline printer and watch CPU go to 100 percent... - Ubuntu ; I have several printers configured under Hardy and I have discovered that if by accident I try to print to an unavailable printer, my CPU usage /ust/bin/lp) shoots up to near 100 percent and slows the system down. Killing the ...

  1. Print to an offline printer and watch CPU go to 100 percent...

    I have several printers configured under Hardy and I have discovered that
    if by accident I try to print to an unavailable printer, my CPU usage
    /ust/bin/lp) shoots up to near 100 percent and slows the system down.

    Killing the process via Htop etc does nothing as the job just comes back.

    Any ideas?

  2. Re: Print to an offline printer and watch CPU go to 100 percent...

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > I have several printers configured under Hardy and I have discovered that
    > if by accident I try to print to an unavailable printer, my CPU usage
    > /ust/bin/lp) shoots up to near 100 percent and slows the system down.
    >
    > Killing the process via Htop etc does nothing as the job just comes back.
    >

    > Any ideas?

    How exactly do you print 'by accident'? And how, if you do, do you 'by
    accident' observe the result?

  3. Re: Print to an offline printer and watch CPU go to 100 percent...

    Robin T Cox writes:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> I have several printers configured under Hardy and I have discovered that
    >> if by accident I try to print to an unavailable printer, my CPU usage
    >> /ust/bin/lp) shoots up to near 100 percent and slows the system down.
    >>
    >> Killing the process via Htop etc does nothing as the job just comes back.
    >>

    >> Any ideas?

    > How exactly do you print 'by accident'? And how, if you do, do you 'by
    > accident' observe the result?

    He said if he selects an unavailable printer by accident. Which is easy
    enough - e.g My officejet connected via USB frequently does a power save
    and wont wake up.

  4. Re: Print to an offline printer and watch CPU go to 100 percent...

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 12:21:14 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Robin T Cox writes:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have several printers configured under Hardy and I have discovered that
    >>> if by accident I try to print to an unavailable printer, my CPU usage
    >>> /ust/bin/lp) shoots up to near 100 percent and slows the system down.
    >>>
    >>> Killing the process via Htop etc does nothing as the job just comes back.
    >>>

    >>> Any ideas?

    >> How exactly do you print 'by accident'? And how, if you do, do you 'by
    >> accident' observe the result?

    > He said if he selects an unavailable printer by accident. Which is easy
    > enough - e.g My officejet connected via USB frequently does a power save
    > and wont wake up.

    Are these Linux loons that stupid?
    Apparently, they are.

    You are correct BTW.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  5. Re: Print to an offline printer and watch CPU go to 100 percent...

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > Are these Linux loons that stupid?

    This must be a troll post, to blame one's own stupidity upon others.

    Next.

  6. Re: Print to an offline printer and watch CPU go to 100 percent...

    Robin T Cox writes:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> Are these Linux loons that stupid?

    > This must be a troll post, to blame one's own stupidity upon others.
    >
    > Next.

    Why did you snip the bit which pointed out YOUR error?

    --
    "My college theater antics were the inspiration for Robin
    Williams' character on Mork & Mindy"

  7. Re: Print to an offline printer and watch CPU go to 100 percent...

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 03:54:08 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > I have several printers configured under Hardy and I have discovered that
    > if by accident I try to print to an unavailable printer, my CPU usage
    > /ust/bin/lp) shoots up to near 100 percent and slows the system down.
    >
    > Killing the process via Htop etc does nothing as the job just comes back.
    >

    > Any ideas?

    I can't reproduce that. I take my printer off-line, send it a job
    (ls|lp), and the job just sits there, patiently waiting, consuming 0% CPU
    time and 0% of memory.

    Thanks for the tip about htop. I hadn't heard of that one. It's very
    nice.

    --
    MarkA
    Keeper of Things Put There Only Just The Night Before

  8. Re: Print to an offline printer and watch CPU go to 100 percent...

    After takin' a swig o' grog, MarkA belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 03:54:08 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> Killing the process via Htop etc does nothing as the job just comes back.

    > Thanks for the tip about htop. I hadn't heard of that one. It's very
    > nice.

    Cool. Now to see if it can support vi or emacs cursor movements. It's
    not good to have to reach for the arrow keys.

    --
    It is Mr. Mellon's credo that $200,000,000 can do no wrong. Our
    offense consists in doubting it.

  9. Re: Print to an offline printer and watch CPU go to 100 percent...

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 10:04:02 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

    > After takin' a swig o' grog, MarkA belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    >> On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 03:54:08 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>
    >>> Killing the process via Htop etc does nothing as the job just comes back.

    >> Thanks for the tip about htop. I hadn't heard of that one. It's very
    >> nice.

    > Cool. Now to see if it can support vi or emacs cursor movements. It's
    > not good to have to reach for the arrow keys.

    You use the ^hjkl keys? You sound like an uber-geek. I am in awe.
    Please don't smite my humble computer; I humbly beseech thee.

    --
    MarkA
    Keeper of Things Put There Only Just The Night Before
    About eight o'clock

  10. Re: Print to an offline printer and watch CPU go to 100 percent...

    After takin' a swig o' grog, MarkA belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    > On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 10:04:02 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
    >
    >> After takin' a swig o' grog, MarkA belched out
    >> this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> Thanks for the tip about htop. I hadn't heard of that one. It's very
    >>> nice.

    >> Cool. Now to see if it can support vi or emacs cursor movements. It's
    >> not good to have to reach for the arrow keys.

    > You use the ^hjkl keys? You sound like an uber-geek. I am in awe.
    > Please don't smite my humble computer; I humbly beseech thee.

    Ha ha. You may kiss my ring.

    Not just hjkl; also Ctrl-N, Ctrl-P, Ctrl-F, Ctrl-B.

    Why stretch when you don't have to? Keep those ham-handed fists on the
    home keys.

    Although this Microsoft Ergonomic Natural 4000 keyboard, which I thought
    was pretty nice, is now wearing out on the K and L letters (and S and C
    are almost gone, and the period is all gone). So, although I like
    the keyboards, I won't be buying another one from Microsoft. Cheap crap
    with sprayed-on lettering.

    --
    I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year's fashions.
    -- Lillian Hellman

  11. Re: Print to an offline printer and watch CPU go to 100 percent...

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 09:27:44 -0400, MarkA wrote:

    > On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 03:54:08 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> I have several printers configured under Hardy and I have discovered that
    >> if by accident I try to print to an unavailable printer, my CPU usage
    >> /ust/bin/lp) shoots up to near 100 percent and slows the system down.
    >>
    >> Killing the process via Htop etc does nothing as the job just comes back.
    >>

    >> Any ideas?

    > I can't reproduce that. I take my printer off-line, send it a job
    > (ls|lp), and the job just sits there, patiently waiting, consuming 0% CPU
    > time and 0% of memory.
    >
    > Thanks for the tip about htop. I hadn't heard of that one. It's very
    > nice.

    Thanks for testing it out.
    I think it has to do with the printer being defined as a Samba printer as
    well as a regular network printer.
    If the remote machine is booted to Linux and I try the samba entry, it does
    the 100 percent thing.
    If the machine is booted to Windows and I try the regular Linux printer
    entry it does NOT hang, so I *suspect* samba is somehow involved.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/