Linux/Ubuntu FF2: File->Import->bookmarks.html from Windows workspartially? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Linux/Ubuntu FF2: File->Import->bookmarks.html from Windows workspartially? - Ubuntu ; Not sure whether this is a Linux FireFox2 bug but would like to find a "non-manual" workaround ... Anyways, I just started playing around with Linux/Ubuntu Hardy, which I'm liking very much. However, I've come across a glitch ... 1) ...

  1. Linux/Ubuntu FF2: File->Import->bookmarks.html from Windows workspartially?

    Not sure whether this is a Linux FireFox2 bug but
    would like to find a "non-manual" workaround ...

    Anyways, I just started playing around with
    Linux/Ubuntu Hardy, which I'm liking very much.
    However, I've come across a glitch ...

    1) FireFox2 fails to import folders in "Bookmarks Toolbar Folder".
    [Whatever folders I added next to "Getting Started" and
    "Latest Headlines" were not imported.]

    Any suggestions?

  2. Re: Linux/Ubuntu FF2: File->Import->bookmarks.html from Windows workspartially?

    Adam schreef:
    > Not sure whether this is a Linux FireFox2 bug but
    > would like to find a "non-manual" workaround ...
    >
    > Anyways, I just started playing around with
    > Linux/Ubuntu Hardy, which I'm liking very much.
    > However, I've come across a glitch ...
    >
    > 1) FireFox2 fails to import folders in "Bookmarks Toolbar Folder".
    > [Whatever folders I added next to "Getting Started" and
    > "Latest Headlines" were not imported.]
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    why not switch to FF3.03?

  3. Re: Linux/Ubuntu FF2: File->Import->bookmarks.html from Windows workspartially?

    Adam wrote:
    > Not sure whether this is a Linux FireFox2 bug but would like to
    > find a "non-manual" workaround ...
    >
    > Anyways, I just started playing around with Linux/Ubuntu Hardy,
    > which I'm liking very much. However, I've come across a glitch ...
    >

    > 1) FireFox2 fails to import folders in "Bookmarks Toolbar
    > Folder". [Whatever folders I added next to "Getting Started" and
    > "Latest Headlines" were not imported.]
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Since I started multiple booting operating systems, I found the
    Firefox add on, Foxmarks, is invaluable.

    Warning!
    Given my bookmarks are now stored on an external server, let alone
    internal partitions that may or may not be secure, I've deleted
    banking etc. bookmarks

    Bob
    --
    On 17 August 1896, in London, Bridget Driscoll, age 44 or 45, became
    an early car accident fatality. The coroner, Percy Morrison, said he

  4. Re: Linux/Ubuntu FF2: File->Import->bookmarks.html from Windowsworks partially?

    On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 21:30:01 +0200, Ro wrote:

    > Adam schreef:
    >> Not sure whether this is a Linux FireFox2 bug but would like to find a
    >> "non-manual" workaround ...
    >>
    >> Anyways, I just started playing around with Linux/Ubuntu Hardy, which
    >> I'm liking very much. However, I've come across a glitch ...
    >>
    >> 1) FireFox2 fails to import folders in "Bookmarks Toolbar Folder".
    >> [Whatever folders I added next to "Getting Started" and "Latest
    >> Headlines" were not imported.]
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?

    > why not switch to FF3.03?

    I heard there were stability issues with FF3.
    Is FF3.03 stable? And, will FF3.03 bookmarks import correctly?

  5. Re: Linux/Ubuntu FF2: File->Import->bookmarks.html from Windowsworks partially?

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 05:37:12 +1000, Bob wrote:

    > Adam wrote:
    >> Not sure whether this is a Linux FireFox2 bug but would like to find a
    >> "non-manual" workaround ...
    >>
    >> Anyways, I just started playing around with Linux/Ubuntu Hardy, which
    >> I'm liking very much. However, I've come across a glitch ...
    >>

    >> 1) FireFox2 fails to import folders in "Bookmarks Toolbar Folder".
    >> [Whatever folders I added next to "Getting Started" and "Latest
    >> Headlines" were not imported.]
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?

    > Since I started multiple booting operating systems, I found the Firefox
    > add on, Foxmarks, is invaluable.
    >
    > Warning!
    > Given my bookmarks are now stored on an external server, let alone
    > internal partitions that may or may not be secure, I've deleted banking
    > etc. bookmarks
    >
    > Bob

    Does Foxmarks store bookmarks somewhere on the web?
    How does it work?

  6. Re: Linux/Ubuntu FF2: File->Import->bookmarks.html from Windows works partially?

    Adam wrote in news:kP6Ik.3092$as4.2945
    @nlpi069.nbdc.sbc.com:

    > Not sure whether this is a Linux FireFox2 bug but
    > would like to find a "non-manual" workaround ...
    > 1) FireFox2 fails to import folders in "Bookmarks Toolbar Folder".
    > [Whatever folders I added next to "Getting Started" and
    > "Latest Headlines" were not imported.]
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    IIRC, I too ran across that (or similar) when trying to import into FF2.
    Have you looked in "Organize Bookmarks"? Again if I remember correctly,
    all imported bookmarks were placed into their own separate sub-folder, from
    which they could just be dragged to the appropriate main folders.

    Another method I use to use was just to delete (or rename) the current
    (newly installed) bookmark.htm and then copy my old bookmark.htm file to
    the newly installed browser directory.

    ......and like another participant here suggested, FF3 works like a charm,
    so you'd probably be ahead of the game by just going ahead and installing
    it. :-)

  7. Re: Linux/Ubuntu FF2: File->Import->bookmarks.html from Windowsworks partially?

    On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 20:15:24 +0000, propman wrote:

    > Adam wrote in news:kP6Ik.3092$as4.2945
    > @nlpi069.nbdc.sbc.com:
    >
    >> Not sure whether this is a Linux FireFox2 bug but would like to find a
    >> "non-manual" workaround ... 1) FireFox2 fails to import folders in
    >> "Bookmarks Toolbar Folder".
    >> [Whatever folders I added next to "Getting Started" and "Latest
    >> Headlines" were not imported.]
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?

    > IIRC, I too ran across that (or similar) when trying to import into FF2.
    > Have you looked in "Organize Bookmarks"? Again if I remember correctly,
    > all imported bookmarks were placed into their own separate sub-folder,
    > from which they could just be dragged to the appropriate main folders.
    >
    > Another method I use to use was just to delete (or rename) the current
    > (newly installed) bookmark.htm and then copy my old bookmark.htm file to
    > the newly installed browser directory.
    >
    > .....and like another participant here suggested, FF3 works like a
    > charm, so you'd probably be ahead of the game by just going ahead and
    > installing it. :-)

    AHA! Found 'em! Thanks!

    Doing a bookmark search in "Bookmarks Manager" (via
    "Organize Bookmarks") came up blank earlier. But,
    after reading your post, I manually looked through
    all bookmarks in "Bookmarks Manager" and found them.

    Would be nice if "Bookmarks Manager" search processed everything
    [all names (including folders) as well as locations].

  8. Re: Linux/Ubuntu FF2: File->Import->bookmarks.html from Windows workspartially?

    Adam wrote:
    > On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 05:37:12 +1000, Bob wrote:
    >
    >> Adam wrote:
    >>> Not sure whether this is a Linux FireFox2 bug but would like
    >>> to find a "non-manual" workaround ...
    >>>
    >>> Anyways, I just started playing around with Linux/Ubuntu
    >>> Hardy, which I'm liking very much. However, I've come across a
    >>> glitch ...
    >>>

    >>> 1) FireFox2 fails to import folders in "Bookmarks Toolbar
    >>> Folder". [Whatever folders I added next to "Getting Started"
    >>> and "Latest Headlines" were not imported.]
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions?

    >> Since I started multiple booting operating systems, I found the
    >> Firefox add on, Foxmarks, is invaluable.
    >>
    >> Warning! Given my bookmarks are now stored on an external
    >> server, let alone internal partitions that may or may not be
    >> secure, I've deleted banking etc. bookmarks
    >>
    >> Bob

    > Does Foxmarks store bookmarks somewhere on the web?

    Yes

    > How does it work?

    http://www.foxmarks.com/
    "Seamlessly Sync changes to your bookmarks across all your computers.
    Automatically Backup your bookmarks after every change."

    --
    Bob
    "I don't believe in evil, I believe in right and wrong, and very

  9. Re: Linux/Ubuntu FF2: File->Import->bookmarks.html from Windows works partially?

    "Adam" wrote in message
    > On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 21:30:01 +0200, Ro wrote:
    >
    >> Adam schreef:
    >>> Not sure whether this is a Linux FireFox2 bug but would like to find a
    >>> "non-manual" workaround ...
    >>>
    >>> Anyways, I just started playing around with Linux/Ubuntu Hardy, which
    >>> I'm liking very much. However, I've come across a glitch ...
    >>>
    >>> 1) FireFox2 fails to import folders in "Bookmarks Toolbar Folder".
    >>> [Whatever folders I added next to "Getting Started" and "Latest
    >>> Headlines" were not imported.]
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions?

    >> why not switch to FF3.03?

    > I heard there were stability issues with FF3.
    > Is FF3.03 stable? And, will FF3.03 bookmarks import correctly?

    I use FF3 and it is stable. It loads slowly however.

  10. Re: Linux/Ubuntu FF2: File->Import->bookmarks.html from Windows works partially?

    "Pete" wrote in message

    > "Adam" wrote in message

    > >> why not switch to FF3.03?

    > > I heard there were stability issues with FF3.
    > > Is FF3.03 stable? And, will FF3.03 bookmarks import correctly?
    > >

    > I use FF3 and it is stable. It loads slowly however.

    Thanks for the info.

    I did a search for FF3 vs FF2 comparisons ...
    http://www.go2linux.org/firefox-3-vs-firefox-2
    FF3 seems intriguing. I might try to setup my system so that
    I can run both FF3 and FF2 side-by-side.

  11. Re: Linux/Ubuntu FF2: File->Import->bookmarks.html from Windows workspartially?

    Adam wrote:
    > On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 20:15:24 +0000, propman wrote:
    >
    >> Adam wrote in news:kP6Ik.3092$as4.2945
    >> @nlpi069.nbdc.sbc.com:
    >>
    >>> Not sure whether this is a Linux FireFox2 bug but would like to find a
    >>> "non-manual" workaround ... 1) FireFox2 fails to import folders in
    >>> "Bookmarks Toolbar Folder".
    >>> [Whatever folders I added next to "Getting Started" and "Latest
    >>> Headlines" were not imported.]
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions?

    >> IIRC, I too ran across that (or similar) when trying to import into FF2.
    >> Have you looked in "Organize Bookmarks"? Again if I remember correctly,
    >> all imported bookmarks were placed into their own separate sub-folder,
    >> from which they could just be dragged to the appropriate main folders.
    >>
    >> Another method I use to use was just to delete (or rename) the current
    >> (newly installed) bookmark.htm and then copy my old bookmark.htm file to
    >> the newly installed browser directory.
    >>
    >> .....and like another participant here suggested, FF3 works like a
    >> charm, so you'd probably be ahead of the game by just going ahead and
    >> installing it. :-)

    > AHA! Found 'em! Thanks!
    >
    > Doing a bookmark search in "Bookmarks Manager" (via
    > "Organize Bookmarks") came up blank earlier. But,
    > after reading your post, I manually looked through
    > all bookmarks in "Bookmarks Manager" and found them.
    >
    > Would be nice if "Bookmarks Manager" search processed everything
    > [all names (including folders) as well as locations].

    Unfortunately, imported bookmarks do not persist through
    FF close and reopen. After rebooting the system,
    the imported bookmarks are gone.
    Then you see 'em, now you don't.
    At least, for Linux/Ubuntu FF2.

  12. Re: Linux/Ubuntu FF2: File->Import->bookmarks.html from Windows workspartially?

    Adam wrote:
    > Adam wrote:
    >> On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 20:15:24 +0000, propman wrote:
    >>
    >>> Adam wrote in news:kP6Ik.3092$as4.2945
    >>> @nlpi069.nbdc.sbc.com:

    >>> IIRC, I too ran across that (or similar) when trying to import into FF2.
    >>> Have you looked in "Organize Bookmarks"? Again if I remember correctly,
    >>> all imported bookmarks were placed into their own separate sub-folder,
    >>> from which they could just be dragged to the appropriate main folders.
    >>>
    >>> Another method I use to use was just to delete (or rename) the current
    >>> (newly installed) bookmark.htm and then copy my old bookmark.htm file to
    >>> the newly installed browser directory.
    >>>
    >>> .....and like another participant here suggested, FF3 works like a
    >>> charm, so you'd probably be ahead of the game by just going ahead and
    >>> installing it. :-)

    >> AHA! Found 'em! Thanks!
    >>
    >> Doing a bookmark search in "Bookmarks Manager" (via
    >> "Organize Bookmarks") came up blank earlier. But,
    >> after reading your post, I manually looked through
    >> all bookmarks in "Bookmarks Manager" and found them.
    >>
    >> Would be nice if "Bookmarks Manager" search processed everything
    >> [all names (including folders) as well as locations].

    > Unfortunately, imported bookmarks do not persist through
    > FF close and reopen. After rebooting the system,
    > the imported bookmarks are gone.
    > Then you see 'em, now you don't.
    > At least, for Linux/Ubuntu FF2.

    Hmmm ... my FF2 add-ons don't stick either.
    Does this have anything to do with
    not being logged in with root access permission?

  13. Re: Linux/Ubuntu FF2: File->Import->bookmarks.html from Windows workspartially?

    Adam wrote:
    > Adam wrote:
    >> Adam wrote:

    >>> AHA! Found 'em! Thanks!
    >>>
    >>> Doing a bookmark search in "Bookmarks Manager" (via
    >>> "Organize Bookmarks") came up blank earlier. But,
    >>> after reading your post, I manually looked through
    >>> all bookmarks in "Bookmarks Manager" and found them.
    >>>
    >>> Would be nice if "Bookmarks Manager" search processed everything
    >>> [all names (including folders) as well as locations].

    >> Unfortunately, imported bookmarks do not persist through
    >> FF close and reopen. After rebooting the system,
    >> the imported bookmarks are gone.
    >> Then you see 'em, now you don't.
    >> At least, for Linux/Ubuntu FF2.

    > Hmmm ... my FF2 add-ons don't stick either.
    > Does this have anything to do with
    > not being logged in with root access permission?

    Okay, last message to myself on this subject ...

    That's what you get for playing with profiles. ;p

+ Reply to Thread