(Presumed) DNS problem with HTTP... - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on (Presumed) DNS problem with HTTP... - Ubuntu ; Ok; ok... not an Ubuntu problem, but for those folks who collect such information, I'm on Hardy; and its a broadband connection otherwise perfectly functional. I'm stuck between my ISP (PlusNet) and my host (Streamline). Both metaphorically swear that I ...

  1. (Presumed) DNS problem with HTTP...

    Ok; ok... not an Ubuntu problem, but for those folks who collect such
    information, I'm on Hardy; and its a broadband connection otherwise
    perfectly functional.

    I'm stuck between my ISP (PlusNet) and my host (Streamline). Both
    metaphorically swear that I have no problem; and neither have a
    support team that (appear to) know more that I do (quite difficult to
    achieve). Neither actually seem to read tickets or, when they do, to
    appear to understand what was written.

    The Ubuntu community is well known for its tolerance, its patience,
    and the broad church of its knowledge. Not wishing to test its
    forebearance, I have previously tried other avenues to no avail...

    My LAN has Ubuntu (several), RISC OS, W2K, WXP. None can access my
    particular problem domain, - but the outside
    world can, I am told. If I try, my attempt stalls at the lookup stage.

    Other domains that I host with the same company can be accessed
    perfectly easily from the same ISP.

    I have tried with the ISP firewall off; I have rebooted the modem; I
    have tried a tranche of DNS servers individually, with the modem set
    not to automatically get its own DNS servers. I /know/ there is no
    hidden DNS, 'cos no entered DNS, no internet...

    Keeping things Ubuntu (but confirmed from the other OS's): I can
    DNS lookup, reverse DNS lookup, Ping, Whois, Traceroute, FTP - all
    correctly. The IP is correct (213.171.193.91) and
    gives the DNS lookup a clean bill of health.

    So - wise and tolerant people - what can cause a /single/ domain to
    fail to connect from a particular ISP, using multiple OS's, when it
    appears perfectly visible to others? It /must/ be a DNS issue, but...

    Fall about laughing; I have no pride left...

    --
    Mark J
    Poppyland.plus.com, not invalid@fslife.co.uk, for private replies

  2. Re: (Presumed) DNS problem with HTTP...

    Mark wrote:

    > My LAN has Ubuntu (several), RISC OS, W2K, WXP. None can access my
    > particular problem domain, - but the
    > outside world can, I am told. If I try, my attempt stalls at the
    > lookup stage.

    Accessing from here in New York State, I get a plain page with four
    short paragraphs of text on my default purple background colour, and
    nothing else. I doubt that is what you intend.

    "Carnivorous plants are different. ... "

    It seems all other files are missing. The jpegs, the favicon, the CSS
    file ...

    --
    -bts

  3. Re: (Presumed) DNS problem with HTTP...

    Mark wrote:

    > problem domain, - but the outside
    > world can, I am told. If I try, my attempt stalls at the lookup stage.

    > The IP is correct (213.171.193.91) and
    > gives the DNS lookup a clean bill of health.

    That is mostly true, except that intodns was (somehow) able to communicate
    with the nameservice, which I was not - or else intodns just asked for the
    A address.

    The nameservice for emarkj.co.uk is faulty to my testing.

    On the one hand, it is 'easy' to get an A address, cname of 213.171.193.91
    which IP rDNS to server213-171-193-91.livedns.org.uk which is fine -- even
    tho' it fails the so-called 'paranoid DNS' test.

    OTOH ontheotherhand, its nameservers are nowhere to be found. They are
    supposed to be

    emarkj.co.uk NS (Nameserver) ns2.streamlinedns.co.uk
    emarkj.co.uk NS (Nameserver) ns1.streamlinedns.co.uk

    .... which are (supposed to be) at 213.171.212.13 & 213.171.208.13 -- but
    they don't answer properly.

    Dig emarkj.co.uk@ns1.streamlinedns.co.uk (213.171.208.13) ...
    Failed, socket error
    Dig emarkj.co.uk@ns2.streamlinedns.co.uk (213.171.212.13) ...
    Failed, socket error

    That was with samspade. I also tried to reach the nameservice with
    NetDemon which also failed.

    > So - wise and tolerant people - what can cause a /single/ domain to
    > fail to connect from a particular ISP, using multiple OS's, when it
    > appears perfectly visible to others? It /must/ be a DNS issue, but...

    I don't know exactly what is wrong with the nameservice. I used to use
    DNSStuff for this kind of research, which gives a report which looks
    similar to the one I see at intodns -- and dnsstuff also used to make a
    free tool available called 'dns timing' which showed nameservers which
    were pokey to answer.

    You can go to dnsstuff and ask to use some of their tools on a trial
    basis. I would check on the domainname with dnsreport and dnstiming
    there. http://www.dnsstuff.com/

    --
    Mike Easter

  4. Re: (Presumed) DNS problem with HTTP...

    propman wrote:
    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote in
    >
    >> Mark wrote:
    >>
    >>> My LAN has Ubuntu (several), RISC OS, W2K, WXP. None can access my
    >>> particular problem domain, - but the
    >>> outside world can, I am told. If I try, my attempt stalls at the
    >>> lookup stage.

    >> Accessing from here in New York State, I get a plain page with four
    >> short paragraphs of text on my default purple background colour, and
    >> nothing else. I doubt that is what you intend.
    >>
    >> "Carnivorous plants are different. ... "
    >>
    >> It seems all other files are missing. The jpegs, the favicon, the CSS
    >> file ...
    >>

    > Same here, testing with IE and FF (from the other side of NA)

    And same here, southern USA. Firefox on Ubuntu 8

    technomaNge
    --

  5. Re: (Presumed) DNS problem with HTTP...

    In message
    technomaNge wrote:

    > propman wrote:
    > > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote in

    > >> Accessing from here in New York State, I get a plain page with four
    > >> short paragraphs of text on my default purple background colour, and
    > >> nothing else. I doubt that is what you intend.
    > >>
    > >> "Carnivorous plants are different. ... "
    > >>
    > >> It seems all other files are missing. The jpegs, the favicon, the CSS
    > >> file ...
    > >>

    > > Same here, testing with IE and FF (from the other side of NA)
    > >

    > And same here, southern USA. Firefox on Ubuntu 8
    >
    > technomaNge

    Thanks to the testers :-)

    If I FTP, all those files reported as missing are present...

    That's the daft bit - everything appears normal from my connection,
    bar HTTP to a single domain that I own, with an utterly simple index
    page. Using a DNS server which works for an outsider, and nothing.
    That's how desperate I'm getting...

    I am told by the host and my ISP that all is well, and that they are
    able to access the domain; but I cannot even get to the redirect page
    - my attempt stalls at the resolving stage. It isn't even a simple
    page not found; and that's using different OS's, different machines,
    and confirmed by someone who has those fancy Cisco and MS networking
    qualifications, so I'm not imagining it...

    Doing a brain-dead dummy's entry into a URL bar by deleting just
    emarkj and replacing with the bit of another of my domains with the
    same host, and in we go, so no daft typo... That's how desperate I'm
    getting...

    There has to be an answer...

    --
    Mark J
    Poppyland.plus.com, not invalid@fslife.co.uk, for private replies

  6. Re: (Presumed) DNS problem with HTTP...

    In message
    "Mike Easter" wrote:

    > Mark wrote:
    >
    > > problem domain, - but the outside
    > > world can, I am told. If I try, my attempt stalls at the lookup stage.

    > > The IP is correct (213.171.193.91) and
    > > gives the DNS lookup a clean bill of health.

    > That is mostly true, except that intodns was (somehow) able to communicate
    > with the nameservice, which I was not - or else intodns just asked for the
    > A address.
    >
    > The nameservice for emarkj.co.uk is faulty to my testing.
    >
    > On the one hand, it is 'easy' to get an A address, cname of 213.171.193.91
    > which IP rDNS to server213-171-193-91.livedns.org.uk which is fine -- even
    > tho' it fails the so-called 'paranoid DNS' test.
    >
    > OTOH ontheotherhand, its nameservers are nowhere to be found. They are
    > supposed to be
    >
    > emarkj.co.uk NS (Nameserver) ns2.streamlinedns.co.uk
    > emarkj.co.uk NS (Nameserver) ns1.streamlinedns.co.uk
    >
    > ... which are (supposed to be) at 213.171.212.13 & 213.171.208.13 -- but
    > they don't answer properly.
    >
    > Dig emarkj.co.uk@ns1.streamlinedns.co.uk (213.171.208.13) ...
    > Failed, socket error
    > Dig emarkj.co.uk@ns2.streamlinedns.co.uk (213.171.212.13) ...
    > Failed, socket error
    >
    > That was with samspade. I also tried to reach the nameservice with
    > NetDemon which also failed.
    >
    > > So - wise and tolerant people - what can cause a /single/ domain to
    > > fail to connect from a particular ISP, using multiple OS's, when it
    > > appears perfectly visible to others? It /must/ be a DNS issue, but...

    > I don't know exactly what is wrong with the nameservice. I used to use
    > DNSStuff for this kind of research, which gives a report which looks
    > similar to the one I see at intodns -- and dnsstuff also used to make a
    > free tool available called 'dns timing' which showed nameservers which
    > were pokey to answer.
    >
    > You can go to dnsstuff and ask to use some of their tools on a trial
    > basis. I would check on the domainname with dnsreport and dnstiming
    > there. http://www.dnsstuff.com/

    Odd... From my connection dig shows the nameservers and correct IP's,
    as does traceroute. Intodns did show a soa revision error previously
    but that was either corrected by Streamline, or corrected itself. We
    thought that that discovery could have been the problem - but we had
    no idea as to why just a single connection to the same nameservers
    could have been effectively blacklisted. Anyway, plenty of time for
    the ttl to have propagated the corrected entry through the DNS
    servers, and the problem still lives. At the time, PlusNet said that
    they couldn't check soa's...

    PlusNet suggested using , and I
    can indeed access the site using that - but why, I know not; and
    PlusNet neither explained nor built on the information. Does megaproxy
    have some different name resolving system? And if it does, what does
    that suggest?

    It is odd too that some folk have reported missing files when they
    accessed my domain, when they were present, and all works fine
    locally. To simplify what people should see I've put up a minimalist
    index.htm for which redirects nowwhere.

    I did try dnsstuff, but it was above my head. I did note the reference
    to mailserver problems, which could be true. Out of the blue some time
    ago I could no longer collect mail to emarkj.co.uk from the host
    Streamline, who again stated that all was fine. The solution I had to
    use was to forward mail to my ISP PlusNet,and collect it from there.

    The hosting of emarkj.co.uk seems thoroughly messed up, but how to
    prove it, and how to get it sorted?

    --
    Mark J
    Poppyland.plus.com, not invalid@fslife.co.uk, for private replies