where does ubuntu mount samba shares? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on where does ubuntu mount samba shares? - Ubuntu ; Hi all, Where does ubuntu mount samba shares? I have Ubuntu connected to a Windows share. I can see the share when I click on places->home (nautilus). However, when I open up an application (wavbreaker), I go to the open ...

  1. where does ubuntu mount samba shares?

    Hi all,

    Where does ubuntu mount samba shares?

    I have Ubuntu connected to a Windows share. I can see the share when I click
    on places->home (nautilus). However, when I open up an application
    (wavbreaker), I go to the open file dialog, and I do not see my share listed
    on the left side of the gui as I do with nautilus.

    So, what I have been doing is going back to the nautilus, pointing to the
    share and then copying the file (large) to my Ubuntu desktop so the app can
    access it. It's rather slow, and I like to be able to access the Windows
    file through the share from within my Ubuntu application (wavbreaker).

    Is there a way do this? Is this done by finding the "mount point" of the
    share?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: where does ubuntu mount samba shares?

    On 2008-10-11, Daniel wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Where does ubuntu mount samba shares?
    >
    > I have Ubuntu connected to a Windows share. I can see the share when I click
    > on places->home (nautilus). However, when I open up an application
    > (wavbreaker), I go to the open file dialog, and I do not see my share listed
    > on the left side of the gui as I do with nautilus.
    >
    > So, what I have been doing is going back to the nautilus, pointing to the
    > share and then copying the file (large) to my Ubuntu desktop so the app can
    > access it. It's rather slow, and I like to be able to access the Windows
    > file through the share from within my Ubuntu application (wavbreaker).
    >
    > Is there a way do this? Is this done by finding the "mount point" of the
    > share?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Chances are, you don't have it mounted. It is being routed through
    fuse. If you want it to have a permanent (usable) mountpoint, set up
    the mount in /etc/fstab. You can mount the shares anywhere you want,
    but historically, /mnt is the normal place.

    For instance, this is from my fstab:

    //serverip/Public /mnt/airnas smbfs auto,_netdev,rw,credentials=filename 0 0

    Also, be sure to have a file [filename] that has the username and
    password listed, and has it's ownership set to root[root] with ONLY
    owner having rw privs.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  3. Re: where does ubuntu mount samba shares?

    Daniel wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Where does ubuntu mount samba shares?
    >
    > I have Ubuntu connected to a Windows share. I can see the share when I
    > click on places->home (nautilus). However, when I open up an application
    > (wavbreaker), I go to the open file dialog, and I do not see my share
    > listed on the left side of the gui as I do with nautilus.
    >
    > So, what I have been doing is going back to the nautilus, pointing to the
    > share and then copying the file (large) to my Ubuntu desktop so the app
    > can access it. It's rather slow, and I like to be able to access the
    > Windows file through the share from within my Ubuntu application
    > (wavbreaker).
    >
    > Is there a way do this? Is this done by finding the "mount point" of the
    > share?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Possibly this command will tell you? I haven't checked to see if smb mounts
    show up here, but I suspect they would.

    cat /proc/mounts

    Cheers.

    --
    The world can't afford the rich.

  4. Re: where does ubuntu mount samba shares?

    ~/.gvfs

    has the GUI-mounted smb shares in it.

+ Reply to Thread