8.10 locked me out after update - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on 8.10 locked me out after update - Ubuntu ; Hi anyone playing with 8.10 beta I applied the Oct. 10 update and now can not log in. No keyboard; not USB or PS2. Interestingly the 3 finger salute works just fine. Everything works just fine up until the log ...

  1. 8.10 locked me out after update

    Hi anyone playing with 8.10 beta

    I applied the Oct. 10 update and now can not log in. No keyboard; not
    USB or PS2. Interestingly the 3 finger salute works
    just fine. Everything works just fine up until the log in screen.
    That seems to be when Ubuntu takes over. during boot gets me to
    the log in text menu, and the keyboard still works at that point, but
    none of the options allow me to do anything (I've tried them all).
    Anyone have an idea how to get in? Or should I just reinstall and try
    again?

    Thanks
    Roy

    When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened or not.
    Mark Twain

  2. Re: 8.10 locked me out after update

    Roy Strachan wrote in

    > Hi anyone playing with 8.10 beta
    >
    > I applied the Oct. 10 update and now can not log in. No keyboard; not
    > USB or PS2. Interestingly the 3 finger salute works
    > just fine. Everything works just fine up until the log in screen.

    At this point will the keyboard respond to:

    Text console log in

    Press Ctrl + Alt + F1 (or F2...6). This should start virtual console.

    If it does then possibly xwindow configuration is borked.

    > That seems to be when Ubuntu takes over. during boot gets me to
    > the log in text menu, and the keyboard still works at that point, but
    > none of the options allow me to do anything (I've tried them all).
    > Anyone have an idea how to get in? Or should I just reinstall and try
    > again?

    /etc/X11/xorg.conf corrupted (misconfigured)?

    Check to see if you have a backup xorg.conf.

    The following page might also be useful:

    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3082808.0

  3. Re: 8.10 locked me out after update

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 18:31:20 +0000 (UTC), propman
    wrote:

    >Roy Strachan wrote in
    >
    >> Hi anyone playing with 8.10 beta
    >>
    >> I applied the Oct. 10 update and now can not log in. No keyboard; not
    >> USB or PS2. Interestingly the 3 finger salute works
    >> just fine. Everything works just fine up until the log in screen.

    >At this point will the keyboard respond to:
    >
    >Text console log in
    >
    >Press Ctrl + Alt + F1 (or F2...6). This should start virtual console.
    >
    >If it does then possibly xwindow configuration is borked.
    >
    >> That seems to be when Ubuntu takes over. during boot gets me to
    >> the log in text menu, and the keyboard still works at that point, but
    >> none of the options allow me to do anything (I've tried them all).
    >> Anyone have an idea how to get in? Or should I just reinstall and try
    >> again?

    >/etc/X11/xorg.conf corrupted (misconfigured)?
    >
    >Check to see if you have a backup xorg.conf.
    >
    >The following page might also be useful:
    >
    >http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3082808.0

    Thanks a bunch. Fixed! The InputDevice sections for the mouse and
    keyboard in xorg.conf were sent off to never-never land for some
    reason. Took a bit to figure out how to get at the file, but I did
    have a good xorg.conf on another box to copy.

    Thanks again
    Roy

    "I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left."
    -- Margaret Thatcher

  4. Re: 8.10 locked me out after update

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 18:43:53 -0600, Roy Strachan wrote:

    >On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 18:31:20 +0000 (UTC), propman
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Roy Strachan wrote in
    >>
    >>> Hi anyone playing with 8.10 beta
    >>>
    >>> I applied the Oct. 10 update and now can not log in. No keyboard; not
    >>> USB or PS2. Interestingly the 3 finger salute works
    >>> just fine. Everything works just fine up until the log in screen.

    >>At this point will the keyboard respond to:
    >>
    >>Text console log in
    >>
    >>Press Ctrl + Alt + F1 (or F2...6). This should start virtual console.
    >>
    >>If it does then possibly xwindow configuration is borked.
    >>
    >>> That seems to be when Ubuntu takes over. during boot gets me to
    >>> the log in text menu, and the keyboard still works at that point, but
    >>> none of the options allow me to do anything (I've tried them all).
    >>> Anyone have an idea how to get in? Or should I just reinstall and try
    >>> again?

    >>/etc/X11/xorg.conf corrupted (misconfigured)?
    >>
    >>Check to see if you have a backup xorg.conf.
    >>
    >>The following page might also be useful:
    >>
    >>http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3082808.0

    >Thanks a bunch. Fixed! The InputDevice sections for the mouse and
    >keyboard in xorg.conf were sent off to never-never land for some
    >reason. Took a bit to figure out how to get at the file, but I did
    >have a good xorg.conf on another box to copy.
    >
    >Thanks again
    > Roy

    WARNING - WARNING - WARNING
    To anyone using a kvm switch. I realize now that this problem was
    caused by me not wanting to waste my time watching this thing update.
    Dumb! By switching to another computer to do something else during
    the update, I caused the computer being updated to not have a mouse
    and keyboard to add to the xorg.conf file. I have done this many
    times before but I guess xorg.conf was never updated. :-(
    This was a very severe case of finger problems!

    Roy

    When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened or not.
    Mark Twain

  5. Re: 8.10 locked me out after update

    On 2008-10-11, Roy Strachan wrote:

    > WARNING - WARNING - WARNING
    > To anyone using a kvm switch. I realize now that this problem was
    > caused by me not wanting to waste my time watching this thing update.
    > Dumb! By switching to another computer to do something else during
    > the update, I caused the computer being updated to not have a mouse
    > and keyboard to add to the xorg.conf file. I have done this many
    > times before but I guess xorg.conf was never updated. :-(
    > This was a very severe case of finger problems!

    Higher-end KVM's will keep sending responding to the PC as if
    everything is still plugged in. Your problem generally only occurs in
    lower-end KVM's.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  6. Re: 8.10 locked me out after update

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 19:42:19 -0600, Roy Strachan wrote:

    > WARNING - WARNING - WARNING
    > To anyone using a kvm switch. I realize now that this problem was
    > caused by me not wanting to waste my time watching this thing update.
    > Dumb! By switching to another computer to do something else during the
    > update, I caused the computer being updated to not have a mouse and
    > keyboard to add to the xorg.conf file. I have done this many times
    > before but I guess xorg.conf was never updated. :-( This was a very
    > severe case of finger problems!
    >
    > Roy

    The wise computer guru says, "Yes, the computer can do a million things
    per second, but sometimes you must wait an hour to do one thing. So wait"

    stonerfish

  7. Re: 8.10 locked me out after update

    Roy Strachan wrote:

    > WARNING - WARNING - WARNING
    > To anyone using a kvm switch. I realize now that this problem was
    > caused by me not wanting to waste my time watching this thing update.
    > Dumb! By switching to another computer to do something else during
    > the update, I caused the computer being updated to not have a mouse
    > and keyboard to add to the xorg.conf file. I have done this many
    > times before but I guess xorg.conf was never updated. :-(
    > This was a very severe case of finger problems!
    >
    > Roy
    >
    > When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened or not.
    > Mark Twain

    Thanks for following up, so often folks wont.

    TBerk

  8. Re: 8.10 locked me out after update

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 21:47:20 -0500, Joe wrote:

    > On 2008-10-11, Roy Strachan wrote:
    >>
    >> WARNING - WARNING - WARNING
    >> To anyone using a kvm switch. I realize now that this problem was
    >> caused by me not wanting to waste my time watching this thing update.
    >> Dumb! By switching to another computer to do something else during the
    >> update, I caused the computer being updated to not have a mouse and
    >> keyboard to add to the xorg.conf file. I have done this many times
    >> before but I guess xorg.conf was never updated. :-( This was a very
    >> severe case of finger problems!

    > Higher-end KVM's will keep sending responding to the PC as if everything
    > is still plugged in. Your problem generally only occurs in lower-end
    > KVM's.

    What's considered a higher end KVM?

  9. Re: 8.10 locked me out after update

    Roy Strachan wrote in

    > On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 18:31:20 +0000 (UTC), propman
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Roy Strachan wrote in
    >>
    >>> Hi anyone playing with 8.10 beta
    >>>
    >>> I applied the Oct. 10 update and now can not log in. No keyboard;
    >>> not USB or PS2. Interestingly the 3 finger salute
    >>> works just fine. Everything works just fine up until the log in
    >>> screen.

    >>At this point will the keyboard respond to:
    >>
    >>Text console log in
    >>
    >>Press Ctrl + Alt + F1 (or F2...6). This should start virtual console.
    >>
    >>If it does then possibly xwindow configuration is borked.
    >>
    >>> That seems to be when Ubuntu takes over. during boot gets me
    >>> to the log in text menu, and the keyboard still works at that point,
    >>> but none of the options allow me to do anything (I've tried them
    >>> all). Anyone have an idea how to get in? Or should I just reinstall
    >>> and try again?

    >>/etc/X11/xorg.conf corrupted (misconfigured)?
    >>
    >>Check to see if you have a backup xorg.conf.
    >>
    >>The following page might also be useful:
    >>
    >>http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3082808.0

    > Thanks a bunch. Fixed! The InputDevice sections for the mouse and
    > keyboard in xorg.conf were sent off to never-never land for some
    > reason. Took a bit to figure out how to get at the file, but I did
    > have a good xorg.conf on another box to copy.

    Great to hear you got it fixed, Roy....and thanks for the kvm update.
    :-)

  10. OT Re: 8.10 locked me out after update

    On 2008-10-11, Roy Strachan hit the keyboard and wrote:

    > Roy
    >
    > When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened or not.
    > Mark Twain

    Just a reminder Roy, to put the sig-delimiter back to where
    it belong, if you use a automated generated sig.

    it should look like this

    Roy

    -- |
    ^^^ note the empty space... and then a new line..

    Dragomir Kollaric
    --
    "When science discovers the center of the universe, a lot of
    people will be disappointed to find they are not it."
    >> Bernard Baily <<

  11. Re: 8.10 locked me out after update

    wrote:

    >On 2008-10-11, Roy Strachan wrote:
    >>
    >> WARNING - WARNING - WARNING
    >> To anyone using a kvm switch. I realize now that this problem was
    >> caused by me not wanting to waste my time watching this thing update.
    >> Dumb! By switching to another computer to do something else during
    >> the update, I caused the computer being updated to not have a mouse
    >> and keyboard to add to the xorg.conf file. I have done this many
    >> times before but I guess xorg.conf was never updated. :-(
    >> This was a very severe case of finger problems!

    >Higher-end KVM's will keep sending responding to the PC as if
    >everything is still plugged in. Your problem generally only occurs in
    >lower-end KVM's.

    It is a StarTech 4 Port USB 2.0 Model SV431USB switch.

    www.startech.com

    I would class it middle of the road... Which end would you class it
    as?

    They warn that if you use the switch as a USB hub and plug a USB thumb
    drive or camera or any device that needs to be unmounted into it, that
    you shouldn't switch computers until the device is unmounted. That
    makes me think it does not send stay-alive signals, and this is what
    caused my problems???

    Roy

    ---
    "When the president does it that means that it is not illegal."
    -- Richard Nixon

  12. Re: 8.10 locked me out after update

    On 2008-10-11, arnold wrote:
    > On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 21:47:20 -0500, Joe wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-10-11, Roy Strachan wrote:
    >>>
    >>> WARNING - WARNING - WARNING
    >>> To anyone using a kvm switch. I realize now that this problem was
    >>> caused by me not wanting to waste my time watching this thing update.
    >>> Dumb! By switching to another computer to do something else during the
    >>> update, I caused the computer being updated to not have a mouse and
    >>> keyboard to add to the xorg.conf file. I have done this many times
    >>> before but I guess xorg.conf was never updated. :-( This was a very
    >>> severe case of finger problems!

    >> Higher-end KVM's will keep sending responding to the PC as if everything
    >> is still plugged in. Your problem generally only occurs in lower-end
    >> KVM's.

    > What's considered a higher end KVM?

    Definitely devices like the avocent outlook. Generally around $400
    for an 8 port KVM.

    The lower end are most of the standard consumer grade. I do have one
    from Zyxel that seems to work fine if I switch to a different pc, but
    I have used Belkin's in the past that had the problem described...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  13. Re: 8.10 locked me out after update

    On 2008-10-13, Roy Strachan wrote:
    > On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 21:47:20 -0500, Joe
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On 2008-10-11, Roy Strachan wrote:
    >>>
    >>> WARNING - WARNING - WARNING
    >>> To anyone using a kvm switch. I realize now that this problem was
    >>> caused by me not wanting to waste my time watching this thing update.
    >>> Dumb! By switching to another computer to do something else during
    >>> the update, I caused the computer being updated to not have a mouse
    >>> and keyboard to add to the xorg.conf file. I have done this many
    >>> times before but I guess xorg.conf was never updated. :-(
    >>> This was a very severe case of finger problems!

    >>Higher-end KVM's will keep sending responding to the PC as if
    >>everything is still plugged in. Your problem generally only occurs in
    >>lower-end KVM's.

    > It is a StarTech 4 Port USB 2.0 Model SV431USB switch.
    >
    > www.startech.com
    >
    > I would class it middle of the road... Which end would you class it
    > as?
    >
    > They warn that if you use the switch as a USB hub and plug a USB thumb
    > drive or camera or any device that needs to be unmounted into it, that
    > you shouldn't switch computers until the device is unmounted. That
    > makes me think it does not send stay-alive signals, and this is what
    > caused my problems???

    It's more of a low-end, consumer grade device. That's OK, though.
    Just know the limitation and deal with it... ;-)

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  14. Re: OT Re: 8.10 locked me out after update

    On 2008-10-12, Dragomir Kollaric wrote:

    > Just a reminder Roy, to put the sig-delimiter back to where
    > it belong, if you use a automated generated sig.
    >
    > it should look like this
    >
    > Roy
    >
    > -- |
    > ^^^ note the empty space... and then a new line..

    Borked sigs are a pain of course but you could try adding the following
    to your .slrnrc:

    #+
    % Define regular expression used to detect proper signature:
    strip_sig_regexp "^-- $" "^-- ?$" "^--- $" "^--- ?$"
    #-

    You can define 5 of these, the first 2 are pretty much mandatory while
    the last 2 take care of variations of the unusual 3 dash version :-).

    Andrew

    --
    echo 'http://www.andrews-corner.org/mutt.html' | \
    sed -e 's/\///g' -e 's/.\{12\}$/com/' \

  15. Re: OT Re: 8.10 locked me out after update

    On 2008-10-13, andrew wrote:

    > Borked sigs are a pain of course but you could try adding the following
    > to your .slrnrc:
    >
    > #+
    > % Define regular expression used to detect proper signature:
    > strip_sig_regexp "^-- $" "^-- ?$" "^--- $" "^--- ?$"
    > #-
    >
    > You can define 5 of these, the first 2 are pretty much mandatory while
    > the last 2 take care of variations of the unusual 3 dash version :-).

    Just proves that I need more sleep before trying to be clever :-). Of
    course all that is required is:

    #v+
    % Define regular expression used to detect proper signature:
    strip_sig_regexp "^-- ?$" "^--- ?$"
    #v-

    and I even got the slrn verbatim marks right this time :-).

    Andrew

    --
    echo 'http://www.andrews-corner.org/mutt.html' | \
    sed -e 's/\///g' -e 's/.\{12\}$/com/' \
    -e 's/s-.\{6\}/@gmail/' -e 's/^.\{8\}/usenet/'

  16. Re: OT Re: 8.10 locked me out after update

    On 2008-10-13, andrew hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > On 2008-10-13, andrew wrote:
    >
    >> Borked sigs are a pain of course but you could try adding the following
    >> to your .slrnrc:
    >>
    >> #+
    >> % Define regular expression used to detect proper signature:
    >> strip_sig_regexp "^-- $" "^-- ?$" "^--- $" "^--- ?$"
    >> #-
    >>
    >> You can define 5 of these, the first 2 are pretty much mandatory while
    >> the last 2 take care of variations of the unusual 3 dash version :-).

    > Just proves that I need more sleep before trying to be clever :-). Of
    > course all that is required is:
    >
    > #v+
    > % Define regular expression used to detect proper signature:
    > strip_sig_regexp "^-- ?$" "^--- ?$"
    > #v-
    >
    > and I even got the slrn verbatim marks right this time :-).

    Thank you Andrew, but what does one do if the poster doesn't even
    use a borked "sig-delimiter"? Other then manually remove the lines.
    One poster in another NG was put into the bozo-bin because by me
    because of his "to hell with you" attitude.

    > Andrew

    Dragomir Kollaric
    --
    "When science discovers the center of the universe, a lot of
    people will be disappointed to find they are not it."
    >> Bernard Baily <<

  17. Re: OT Re: 8.10 locked me out after update

    On 2008-10-18, Dragomir Kollaric wrote:

    > Thank you Andrew, but what does one do if the poster doesn't even
    > use a borked "sig-delimiter"? Other then manually remove the lines.
    > One poster in another NG was put into the bozo-bin because by me
    > because of his "to hell with you" attitude.

    I agree, a broken signature can be a right royal pain and there is
    always a place for kill-filing or even simply scoring down :-).

    Andrew

    --
    echo 'http://www.andrews-corner.org/mutt.html' | \
    sed -e 's/\///g' -e 's/.\{12\}$/com/' \