FLAC to m4a - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on FLAC to m4a - Ubuntu ; Can anyone suggest a program that will take a folder of .flac files, complete with cue sheet and .png's of the album covers and turn it into a folder of .m4a files with tags etc. for uploading to my phobile ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: FLAC to m4a

  1. FLAC to m4a

    Can anyone suggest a program that will take a folder of .flac files,
    complete with cue sheet and .png's of the album covers and turn it into a
    folder of .m4a files with tags etc. for uploading to my phobile moan?
    Failing m4a I suppose mp3 would do. Mint 5 (based on hardy) with Gnome
    desktop. Prefer not to have to install half of the k libraries just for
    this job so, unless it's the only candidate, not Amarok please!

  2. Re: FLAC to m4a

    On 2008-10-10, Derek Turner wrote:
    > Can anyone suggest a program that will take a folder of .flac files,
    > complete with cue sheet and .png's of the album covers and turn it into a
    > folder of .m4a files with tags etc. for uploading to my phobile moan?
    > Failing m4a I suppose mp3 would do. Mint 5 (based on hardy) with Gnome
    > desktop. Prefer not to have to install half of the k libraries just for
    > this job so, unless it's the only candidate, not Amarok please!


    This will convert to mp3. It is a bash script, and the directions are
    in the comments. I did not write the script originally (got it from
    aolu), but I have used it many times, and it works well.

    Just copy from the #!/bin/bash line down to "done", paste it into a
    new text file named flac2mp3.sh, then run the following commands to
    set it as executable. I keep it in my path so that I don't need to
    type out the full path to the script every time I use it, but that's
    up to you...

    chmod u+x flac2mp3.sh

    ---- CUT BENEATH THIS LINE ----
    #!/bin/bash
    # flac2mp3.sh
    # REQUIRES flac and lame to be installed
    # Usage: flac2mp3 DESTDIR [PRESET]
    # Will convert all .flac files in current working directory to .mp3,
    # maintaining tags, and save the output files in DESTDIR
    # PRESET is optional, necessary if you wish to save the output at a
    # different quality level.
    # If DESTDIR does not exist, it will be created.

    DESTDIR=$1
    PRESET=$2

    if test "x$PRESET" = "x"; then
    PRESET=standard
    fi

    if test "x$DESTDIR" = "x"; then
    DESTDIR=.
    else
    mkdir -p "$DESTDIR"
    fi

    echo
    echo "Preset=$PRESET Destination=$DESTDIR Source=`pwd`"
    echo

    for a in *.flac
    do
    OUTF=`echo "$a" | sed s/\.flac/.mp3/g`

    echo
    echo "Source=`pwd`/$a Destination=$DESTDIR/$OUTF"
    echo

    ARTIST=`metaflac "$a" --show-tag=ARTIST | sed s/.*=//g`
    TITLE=`metaflac "$a" --show-tag=TITLE | sed s/.*=//g`
    ALBUM=`metaflac "$a" --show-tag=ALBUM | sed s/.*=//g`
    GENRE=`metaflac "$a" --show-tag=GENRE | sed s/.*=//g`
    TRACKNUMBER=`metaflac "$a" --show-tag=TRACKNUMBER | sed s/.*=//g`
    YEAR=`metaflac "$a" --show-tag=DATE | sed s/.*=//g | cut -b -4`

    echo
    echo "Launching: flac -c -d $a | lame --preset $PRESET -
    $DESTDIR/$OUTF"
    echo

    flac -c -d "$a" | lame --preset $PRESET - "$DESTDIR/$OUTF"

    echo
    echo "Setting id3 ($TITLE, $TRACKNUMBER, $ARTIST, $ALBUM, $GENRE,
    $YEAR)"
    echo

    if test "x$TITLE" != "x"; then
    id3v2 -t "$TITLE" "$DESTDIR/$OUTF" > /dev/null
    fi

    if test "x$TRACKNUMBER" != "x"; then
    id3v2 -T "$TRACKNUMBER" "$DESTDIR/$OUTF" > /dev/null
    fi

    if test "x$ARTIST" != "x"; then
    id3v2 -a "$ARTIST" "$DESTDIR/$OUTF" > /dev/null
    fi

    if test "x$ALBUM" != "x"; then
    id3v2 -A "$ALBUM" "$DESTDIR/$OUTF" > /dev/null
    fi

    if test "x$GENRE" != "x"; then
    id3v2 -g "$GENRE" "$DESTDIR/$OUTF"
    fi

    if test "x$YEAR" != "x"; then
    id3v2 -y "$YEAR" "$DESTDIR/$OUTF"
    fi
    done
    ---- CUT ABOVE THIS LINE ----

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    "Hate is baggage, life is too short to go around pissed off all the
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  3. Re: FLAC to m4a

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 04:45:13 -0500, Joe wrote:


    > This will convert to mp3. It is a bash script, and the directions are
    > in the comments. I did not write the script originally (got it from
    > aolu), but I have used it many times, and it works well.
    >

    Worked a treat, thank you!

  4. Re: FLAC to m4a

    Derek Turner illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Can anyone suggest a program that will take a folder of .flac files,
    > complete with cue sheet and .png's of the album covers and turn it into a
    > folder of .m4a files with tags etc. for uploading to my phobile moan?
    > Failing m4a I suppose mp3 would do. Mint 5 (based on hardy) with Gnome
    > desktop. Prefer not to have to install half of the k libraries just for
    > this job so, unless it's the only candidate, not Amarok please!


    Soundconverter. (I've never encoded to m4a this way, but it should be
    capable of it)

    You'll need to ensure the restricted extras are installed. I'd
    also suggest enabling the medibuntu repositories.

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

  5. Re: FLAC to m4a

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 16:58:16 +0000, Moog wrote:

    >
    > You'll need to ensure the restricted extras are installed. I'd also
    > suggest enabling the medibuntu repositories.


    enabled by default in mint. That's one of the reasons I love it so much

  6. Re: FLAC to m4a

    Derek Turner illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 16:58:16 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> You'll need to ensure the restricted extras are installed. I'd also
    >> suggest enabling the medibuntu repositories.

    >
    > enabled by default in mint. That's one of the reasons I love it so much


    I've no idea about Mint. This is specifically a Ubuntu group.

    Whilst you may already have it all enabled, Ubuntu users (which is
    what this grouped is aimed at) will probably not. It was an answer not
    just aimed at you, but also to other users frequenting this place.

    I'm glad you enjoy Mint BTW. However, on the occasions I've tried it,
    it didn't seemas much "fun" as the regular Ubuntu experience.

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

  7. Re: FLAC to m4a

    On 2008-10-10, Moog wrote:
    > Derek Turner illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 16:58:16 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >>
    >>>
    >>> You'll need to ensure the restricted extras are installed. I'd also
    >>> suggest enabling the medibuntu repositories.

    >>
    >> enabled by default in mint. That's one of the reasons I love it so much

    >
    > I've no idea about Mint. This is specifically a Ubuntu group.
    >
    > Whilst you may already have it all enabled, Ubuntu users (which is
    > what this grouped is aimed at) will probably not. It was an answer not
    > just aimed at you, but also to other users frequenting this place.
    >
    > I'm glad you enjoy Mint BTW. However, on the occasions I've tried it,
    > it didn't seemas much "fun" as the regular Ubuntu experience.
    >


    I've been running Elyssa on this machine and my laptop for a few
    months now, and I like it a lot. I even kinda like the black/green
    theme.

    It's nice to install the OS and not have to spend the extra time
    installing all of the media codecs and crap like that, but otherwise
    it is the same OS, and pretty much the same experience.


    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    "Hate is baggage, life is too short to go around pissed off all the
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  8. Re: FLAC to m4a

    Joe illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >
    > I've been running Elyssa on this machine and my laptop for a few
    > months now, and I like it a lot. I even kinda like the black/green
    > theme.
    >
    > It's nice to install the OS and not have to spend the extra time
    > installing all of the media codecs and crap like that, but otherwise
    > it is the same OS, and pretty much the same experience.


    Hi Joe. I hope you're OK.

    Yes. The beauty of linux is that we all take slightly different
    experiences from it. I still feel I was right by telling any ubuntu
    users how to complete the task. Considering the inhabitants, both
    lurkers and regs, of this NG will be running Ubuntu.

    As for MINT. It's too much of a hand hold for me. Laying it all on a
    plate for users seems to be wrong. I would prefer it if Ubuntu would
    be a little more verbal upon error (or missing codecs/modiules), but
    I wouldn't want it to "mintify" itself in anyway, shape or form.

    Myself? I''ve spent a fair bit of time exploring some Puppy remixes.

    I've got my sister and my Mother running full installs of "VestaPup".
    on their PC's. They love it. Which is nice..

    --
    "Chopsticks are one of the reasons the Chinese never invented custard."
    Spike Milligan

  9. Re: FLAC to m4a

    On 2008-10-10, Moog wrote:
    > Joe illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>
    >> I've been running Elyssa on this machine and my laptop for a few
    >> months now, and I like it a lot. I even kinda like the black/green
    >> theme.
    >>
    >> It's nice to install the OS and not have to spend the extra time
    >> installing all of the media codecs and crap like that, but otherwise
    >> it is the same OS, and pretty much the same experience.

    >
    > Hi Joe. I hope you're OK.
    >
    > Yes. The beauty of linux is that we all take slightly different
    > experiences from it. I still feel I was right by telling any ubuntu
    > users how to complete the task. Considering the inhabitants, both
    > lurkers and regs, of this NG will be running Ubuntu.


    Oh, absolutely. Wasn't complaining about your answer, as it was
    definitely right, just passing on my experience...

    >
    > As for MINT. It's too much of a hand hold for me. Laying it all on a
    > plate for users seems to be wrong. I would prefer it if Ubuntu would
    > be a little more verbal upon error (or missing codecs/modiules), but
    > I wouldn't want it to "mintify" itself in anyway, shape or form.


    I look at it a little differently, I guess. IMO, things like codecs
    (in a modern system) seem like they should just be there. I
    understand WHY Ubuntu doesn't include them, but it's nice to save that
    little bit of extra time, not to mention making it easier for a newbie
    to get up and running.

    Installing codecs is really a pretty simple endeavor on Hardy, enable
    the repo and install a meta-package, so I don't find it to be too much
    handholding to have it already there.

    On the other side of the coin, though, Mint only comes in a 32 bit
    version. I would love to have a distribution just like it in 64 that
    does all the heavy lifting for you, installing codecs, installing
    flash and java, and so on. None of those are horribly difficult, so
    I don't feel limited by not having to do them anymore... ;-)

    >
    > Myself? I''ve spent a fair bit of time exploring some Puppy remixes.
    >
    > I've got my sister and my Mother running full installs of "VestaPup".
    > on their PC's. They love it. Which is nice..
    >


    I've never worked with puppy at all. I use a LOT of Redhat, some
    Suse, the occasional bit of OpenSolaris, but I always go back to
    Ubuntu (now Mint) for my home installs (besides the servers, 2 of
    which are running Win2k3 Server, 1 on CentOS 4.6, one on Cent 5.3, and
    one running Ubuntu Feisty).

    I have a couple of older machines laying around, so I should probably
    give puppy and dsl a shot...


    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    "Hate is baggage, life is too short to go around pissed off all the
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  10. Re: FLAC to m4a

    On 2008-10-10, Derek Turner wrote:
    > Can anyone suggest a program that will take a folder of .flac files,
    > complete with cue sheet and .png's of the album covers and turn it into a
    > folder of .m4a files with tags etc. for uploading to my phobile moan?
    > Failing m4a I suppose mp3 would do. Mint 5 (based on hardy) with Gnome
    > desktop. Prefer not to have to install half of the k libraries just for
    > this job so, unless it's the only candidate, not Amarok please!


    Beggers should not be chosers.

  11. Re: FLAC to m4a

    On 2008-10-10, Moog wrote:
    > Joe illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>
    >> I've been running Elyssa on this machine and my laptop for a few
    >> months now, and I like it a lot. I even kinda like the black/green
    >> theme.
    >>
    >> It's nice to install the OS and not have to spend the extra time
    >> installing all of the media codecs and crap like that, but otherwise
    >> it is the same OS, and pretty much the same experience.

    >
    > Hi Joe. I hope you're OK.
    >
    > Yes. The beauty of linux is that we all take slightly different
    > experiences from it. I still feel I was right by telling any ubuntu
    > users how to complete the task. Considering the inhabitants, both
    > lurkers and regs, of this NG will be running Ubuntu.
    >
    > As for MINT. It's too much of a hand hold for me. Laying it all on a
    > plate for users seems to be wrong. I would prefer it if Ubuntu would
    > be a little more verbal upon error (or missing codecs/modiules), but
    > I wouldn't want it to "mintify" itself in anyway, shape or form.
    >
    > Myself? I''ve spent a fair bit of time exploring some Puppy remixes.
    >


    Software forks, music mixes. Ok!

    BTW, I like Mint as it has a great control ctr. I just can not get my
    thinking to the way Ubuntu does it.

    For the record, Ms Windows got one thing right when she built the control
    ctr.



  12. Re: FLAC to m4a

    On 2008-10-10, Derek Turner wrote:
    > On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 04:45:13 -0500, Joe wrote:
    >
    >
    >> This will convert to mp3. It is a bash script, and the directions are
    >> in the comments. I did not write the script originally (got it from
    >> aolu), but I have used it many times, and it works well.
    >>

    > Worked a treat, thank you!


    There you go, just a bit of shell programming.

  13. Re: FLAC to m4a

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 19:32:23 -0500, Joe wrote:


    > On the other side of the coin, though, Mint only comes in a 32 bit
    > version. I would love to have a distribution just like it in 64 that
    > does all the heavy lifting for you, installing codecs, installing flash
    > and java, and so on. None of those are horribly difficult, so I don't
    > feel limited by not having to do them anymore... ;-)
    >


    Coming quite soon, I understand:

    http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=310

    Release Candidate 1 is ready for downloading and testing.

  14. Re: FLAC to m4a

    On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 04:29:31 +0000, Gordon wrote:

    >
    > Beggers should not be chosers.


    Beggars, choosers. OK fair enough

+ Reply to Thread